• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tankette

Oct 30, 2017
The Political Compass is meant to be a global tool, not a US-centric one, so...yeah, that's correct.
cdc.jpg

Come back to us when the Democrats has the same political positions as United Russia. Hell, it can be easily seen that the Democratic Party has fundamentally opposed viewpoints of the damn Tories!

Please don't scream "bUt DeMs aRe cEnTEr-RIgHt" again.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I mean isn't the general idea here that gerrymanders start to buckle when there's a strong shift – like from a populace opposed to their overstepping on a policy? Plus, aren't there state-wide offices this could affect in 2020?

I know people replied to this, but I'll add another wrinkle.

Gerrymanders live and die by cutting communities in half to diminish their power while placing them within hyper partisan areas. You know that, but it's a necessary topic sentence to explain Ohio.

We are a larger state by population but our urban centers are strewn to the state's corners and borders (Columbus aside) while our suburbs are, from personal experience, shockingly red. As such, it's difficult to find contiguous landmass with reliably liberal populations. Thereby, it's really easy for Republicans to carve our cities in two and lump the excised parts into suburbs and rural areas. As such, overcoming the gerrymander is a feat that our landmass and population centers can't really overcome without radically changing the districts, whether back to their 2000 borders or into something new.

Even then, I think you could reliably get liberal districts centered around - Akron, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo, two for Columbus if you were creative (maybe even 3), and might be able to conjure something up for Dayton and Youngstown. That still nets you 8-9 Dem districts...in a state with 16. And with the knowledge these won't be guaranteed and that the Youngstown area is declining precipitously.

Admittedly, that's better than the current situation but there's no magic bullet here unless the state somehow attracted an influx of liberals which ain't happening.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do have to say, I'm not comfortable with companies being able to ban their employees from social media.

Otherwise, good.

don't go seeking that blue check by tying your account to your employer and it shouldn't be an issue. He chose not to be "Jonathan Weisman" and instead wanted to be "Jonathan Weisman, Deputy Washington Editor, The New York Times." so it makes sense that they have an interest in what he posts

better yet, use a pseudonym like most of the online world.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't go seeking that blue check by tying your account to your employer and it shouldn't be an issue. He chose not to be "Jonathan Weisman" and instead wanted to be "Jonathan Weisman, Deputy Washington Editor, The New York Times." so it makes sense that they have an interest in what he posts

better yet, use a pseudonym like most of the online world.
even if he used a pseudonym, his takes are so awful idk if he should have such an important position at the times. Probably a net good that he put himself out there

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
cdc.jpg

Come back to us when the Democrats has the same political positions as United Russia. Hell, it can be easily seen that the Democratic Party has fundamentally opposed viewpoints of the damn Tories!

The owner of that site has an agenda, and won't disclose how he formulates his graph.
It's discredited bullshit, yet I still see it posted frequently.

This is far more instructive:
www.nytimes.com

Opinion | What Happened to America’s Political Center of Gravity? (Published 2019)

The Republican Party is farther right than U.K.I.P. and France’s National Rally, according to an analysis of their platforms.

But it does come from the Bernie hating media.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Reid J. Epstein @reidepstein

NEWS: John Hickenlooper is in discussions about ending his presidential campaign and hopping in the Colorado Senate race. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/us/politics/john-hickenlooper-2020-senate.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share …

On Friday night in Clear Lake, Iowa, Hickenlooper hooped into Michael Bennet's car and the two had a 20-minute chat about his future while driving around town. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/us/politics/john-hickenlooper-2020-senate.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share …

5:34 PM - Aug 13, 2019

Tankette

Oct 30, 2017
As someone married to a gay, liberal redneck, I am required by law to post this every time trucks are mentioned.

ur garbage

---

Hong Kong is looking more and more worrisome by the day; sooner or later we'll be seeing a repeat of Tiananmen.

Wonder if the orange sack of shit would do- lol no who am I kidding, he'll actually praise Xi for "showing strength".

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think I spoke too soon about that senate narrative - it's all over CNN. Pretty disgraceful pile-on, but they'll figure it out in 2020.

What's funny is the Houston Chronicle editor has been getting ratio'd all day trying to explain that the article wasn't trying to get Beto to run for senate, and explained they wouldn't endorse him either if he did. Whole thing is a huge joke.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I read somewhere recently that Abrams was involved with an effort to flip the Georgia House.

If she does want to run for governor again in 2022, that would definitely need to be a priority - if the GOP holds their trifecta after 2020, they'll most certainly keep gerrymandering themselves in power, ensuring that even if a Democrat got elected in 2022 they'd be a lame duck from the word go.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Castro also only needs one more poll, so if both Steyer and Castro make it there'd be 11 candidates and two nights of debates, again.

I actually hope that happens. I'd rather have two nights of 5-6 contestants, than one night of 10 contestants. It'd be nice to have everyone on the stage at the same time, but the debates are far too hectic and time restrained when too many people are participating.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The Iowa State Fair is just making me excited for the Minnesota State Fair. Can't wait to try all the bullshit on a stick.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like state fairs. NC state fair is solid. Good turkey legs, dangerous rides, the mirror maze, and other carny bullshit.

My favorite event is the racing pigs, obviously.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Reid J. Epstein @reidepstein

NEWS: John Hickenlooper is in discussions about ending his presidential campaign and hopping in the Colorado Senate race. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/us/politics/john-hickenlooper-2020-senate.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share …

On Friday night in Clear Lake, Iowa, Hickenlooper hooped into Michael Bennet's car and the two had a 20-minute chat about his future while driving around town. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/us/politics/john-hickenlooper-2020-senate.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share …

5:34 PM - Aug 13, 2019

Speaking of which:

Gardner's toast, but Hickenlooper would demolish him.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I actually hope that happens. I'd rather have two nights of 5-6 contestants, than one night of 10 contestants. It'd be nice to have everyone on the stage at the same time, but the debates are far too hectic and time restrained when too many people are participating.
I agree, I just wish they separated it by lead amount and not by randomness. It sucks that supposed fear of kiddy table talk apparently is more important than having your leaders be in the same debate.

Also, thing "random" is much easier to rig, which should concern people worried about accusations of rigging. It's going to be unavoidable if warren and bernie gets kept of the second night main event debate with biden, even if it is only by chance.

Oct 27, 2017
My first time in Iowa I was on a road trip post-highschool and I am woken up by my buddy telling me there is a tornado in our path and we had to get out of the car and lie down in a ditch.

Those Lutherans know how to make a pie, though

Tankette

Oct 30, 2017
The Iowa State Fair is just making me excited for the Minnesota State Fair. Can't wait to try all the bullshit on a stick.
I like state fairs. NC state fair is solid. Good turkey legs, dangerous rides, the mirror maze, and other carny bullshit.

My favorite event is the racing pigs, obviously.
As a Chinese American, I don't really give a shit about state fairs. The closest thing I could think of that I may actually enjoy is the Medieval Fair, and that's only because of the roasted turkey legs and that there are cool swords.

The Lunar Mid-Autumn Festival is just a few orders of magnitude better.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
How is abolishing private insurance bad policy? It's the sole reason our country spends more than any other nation on the planet on healthcare and gets absolutely LESS out of it than anyone else. Insurance companies are absolute middleman leech garbage, and the sooner our nation gets over their Stockholm syndrome of loving getting ripped off the better.
It's really not the sole reason.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
This weekend there is an annual fair near me that will be in town. I'm legit super excited for it <3

So many fried foods <3

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine anything worse than standing out in hot sun for hours, boxed in by hundreds of people with only the smells of sugar, grease, and BO to fill the air.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cdc.jpg

Not sure what any of that has to do with Obamacare not being a leftist policy but ok.

Oct 27, 2017
We all knew saggy balls toilet dude was a fucking goon sent in to protect the interests of Trump and his fascist entourage. This isn't surprising

Matthew Whitaker's Conflict Of Interest Forms Weren't Screened Until Just Before Trump Put Him In Charge Of The DOJ. They Were Incomplete.
A Justice Department official said that because of an "administrative error," no one vetted Whitaker's financial disclosure forms for nearly a year while he served as then–attorney general Jeff Sessions' chief of staff.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Being surrounded by screaming kids and fat people eating fried shit on sticks while they observe weird farm product art is not my idea of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.