• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
These stories always focus on hold-outs. Generally best to ignore them because they're selection bias for the eyes.

This is like finding those random Pennsylvania workers still eager to support Trump. He has no hope in PA anymore. I say this as a local who is watching the dynamics shift in the state rapidly.
I mean yeah, if Biden is the nominee Trump has zero chance in Pennsylvania. He will still win at least 40% of the vote which accounts for millions of people.

You're right that media focuses too much on the holdouts. Voters do too, I've seen the "x% of Americans believe y, are you saying they're all stupid/bigoted?" argument from South Park repeated verbatim, unironically plenty of times.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's sort of like how anytime someone embezzles, or cheats, or whathaveyou, they rationalize it by assuming everyone else does it too.
This is basically the underlying logic for Trump wanting to commute Blago's sentence too: every politician is guilty of this, so why single him out for punishment? Instead of, you know, just punishing the corruption.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Trump losing in 2020 is not dependent on Iowa farmers turning on Trump. Stubbornness and subsidies will ensure that many will stick with him despite his attempts to kill off entire agricultural sectors. The real story is suburban voters fleeing him and the Republicans en masse in a continuation of 2018.
Right. I don't think every single farmer hurting from the trade war will stick with Trump next year, but many or most will, which is why I personally bank flipping some of these states less on betrayed farmers voting against Trump and more on suburban women disgusted by Trump and the GOP.

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017
I really don't want farmers to support Democrats. Agricultural subsidies (especially for corn/ethanol) need to go and making them a partisan issue is a good way to erode support for them.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Reminder of where the Democrats were at before Bernie came along

f9mesl01veg31.jpg

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Trump losing in 2020 is not dependent on Iowa farmers turning on Trump. Stubbornness and subsidies will ensure that many will stick with him despite his attempts to kill off entire agricultural sectors. The real story is suburban voters fleeing him and the Republicans en masse in a continuation of 2018.
2022 – When Suburban voters decide they're ok with racism since GOP politicians say they can improve the economy.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
I had basically forgotten all about Bill O'Riley. Talk about a has been.
That's the power of de-platforming.
Bill O'Reilly hasn't entirely gone away, he's just retreated to right-wing radio.

Bill O'Reilly's New Short-Form Radio Show Launches In 100 Markets

"It's hard to get accurate information. 'The O'Reilly Update' will bring relief," the host boasted in a release. "Solid facts, pithy analysis, important things you might not know… all will be part of the broadcast every day. Plus, it's fun to listen to."

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Bill O'Reilly hasn't entirely gone away, he's just retreated to right-wing radio.

Bill O'Reilly's New Short-Form Radio Show Launches In 100 Markets

Retreated to right wing radio?

You mean where he can do far more damage to American minds than he ever did on TV?

You guys realize this is their unchallenged stomping ground where this right wing movement snowballed and become one of the most sinister and effective brainwashing tool ever. On par with Fox News

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Bill hangs out with Glenn Beck a lot too.

Both might have left the public face by not being on Fox any more, but they still have millions of listeners.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie calling Trump a coward who is afraid of American voters deciding on election in response to his Voter ID calls is great.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I have to read that article but she probably was right. Our system is decades away from single payer.
Sanders and Warren who combine for a large percentage of the Democratic electorate and who are beating Trump in early General Polls support single-payer.

It's no longer a fringe request. It'a a legitimate ideological position with a lot of support.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Sanders and Warren who combine for a large percentage of the Democratic electorate and who are beating Trump in early General Polls support single-payer.

It's no longer a fringe request. It'a a legitimate ideological position with a lot of support.

Both of your positions can be true. Something can have a good amount of support and still be decades away from being possible.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

A significant portion of their supporters want a public option and yet simultaneously think Bernie and Warren hold the answer to that. There could be a few reasons why that is, but the point is that the line isn't linear.

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder of where the Democrats were at before Bernie came along

f9mesl01veg31.jpg

Just a reminder that Hillary has been fighting for healthcare reform for a long long time.

That title is super click baity. She was talking about not gutting Obamacare as she didn't think single payer could pass in the political climate. She has talked and supported single payer in the past.

"I don't want us to end up in gridlock. People can't wait. People who have health emergencies can't wait for us to have a theoretical debate about some better idea that will never, ever come to pass."

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
You guys realize this is their unchallenged stomping ground where this right wing movement snowballed and become one of the most sinister and effective brainwashing tool ever. On par with Fox News
I can't say AM style radio worries me much these days. I'm not saying it's not insidious or even ineffective but let's not lose sight of the fact that virtually no one listens to the radio anymore. Also he's on like 100 stations. He's hardly flooding the airwaves with his dreck

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say AM style radio worries me much these days. I'm not saying it's not insidious or even ineffective but let's not lose sight of the fact that virtually no one listens to the radio anymore. Also he's on like 100 stations. He's hardly flooding the airwaves with his dreck

Eh....the radio's still on every time I go to a mechanic or a shop. There are still a lot of places for it.

Not in offices and the like, and maybe that's part of what is fueling the divide.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I can't believe we are still doing the thing where we take something Hillary said that is accurate and present it as "Hillary Clinton OPPOSES single payer! Not a true progressive like Bernie!"

We could have 53 Dems in the Senate, an increased house majority, and Bernie as President. There will still not be enough support for single payer. It's a less popular idea than repealing the ACA.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, just because people our general age don't listen to radio (though I still do in the car, but music only- any talk and I change the station) doesn't mean it's dead. Do you know who still listens to the radio? Boomers.

These right wing fuckwits know what they are doing. Radio is the perfect audience for their bullshit.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@mkraju
Pelosi today calls McConnell "Moscow Mitch." "We've sent our legislation to the Senate. Moscow Mitch says he is the grim reaper. Imagine describing yourself as the grim reaper, that he's going to bury all this legislation. . All this legislation is alive and well in" the public
12:09 - 14 Aug 2019

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, just because people our general age don't listen to radio (though I still do, but music only- any talk and I change the station) doesn't mean it's dead. Do you know who still listens to the radio? Boomers.

These right wing fuckwits know what they are doing. Radio is the perfect audience for their bullshit.
I'm not disputing that people listen to the radio. It still pulls in huge numbers (although I'm curious how much of that is satellite vs AM/FM) but I find it unlikely it's going to convince the unconvinced in numbers that matter. I'm talking about younger voters here. Anyone that's tuning in to O'Reilly isn't in need of convincing (ie Boomers)

Edit: I should have been more clear in my previous post. I'm specifically saying that right wing talk radio isn't the tool for the GOP that it was in years past. Social media and TV, local and national, are far more concerning to me

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not disputing that people listen to the radio. It still pulls in huge numbers (although I'm curious how much of that is satellite vs AM/FM) but I find it unlikely it's going to convince the unconvinced in numbers that matter. I'm talking about younger voters here. Anyone that's tuning in to O'Reilly isn't in need of convincing (ie Boomers)

Edit: I should have been more clear in my previous post. I'm specifically saying that right wing talk radio isn't the tool for the GOP that it was in years past. Social media and TV, local and national, are far more concerning to me
Makes sense.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

I would not read the combined primary support for Bernie and Warren as a commensurate level of support for single-payer. More people support Bernie and Warren for president than support the elimination of private health insurance, which they have both called for. Which tells me that some not-insignificant chunk of voters either support Bernie and Warren in spite of Medicare for All, or don't really know what they want healthcare-wise and aren't quite squaring that circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.