• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I am sort of curious, not that I think it will happen, but if Sanders were to become President and fails to:
  • Transition all US electricity use to renewables and create 20 million jobs through entirely public spending
  • Institute a debt jubilee and the poorly thought out plan to make public college free
  • Eliminate private insurance and transition everyone to a heavily expanded Medicare system in 4 years
What happens to his support base. Do they become disillusioned and done with politics?
Do they keep the faith and blame everyone else?
The anti-Sanders conspiracy would then be every other part of the government.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
There's another weird thing where e.g. Harris' weird ass plan to make people open businesses in black neighbourhoods for a little bit of debt relief was pilloried. Fair enough, rightfully scrutinized.

But... there's very limited actual scrutiny of the Sanders plans being posted regularly in the OT by anyone posting them lol. And there doesn't seem to be any desire for anyone else to come in and scrutinise the plans. And if anyone does provide valid critique, there's masses of pushback.

So I don't really understand what the purpose of the threads is?
Is the expectation to just have people come in and lavish praise? lol.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Ah yes, I too remember Greenwald telling people Russia wasn't a hoax.
I mean we dont really need liberal smugness here. Im talking about Brasil, his work about Moro and Lava Jato has been incredibly important to the point of being hunted down by Bolsonaro.

Greenwald has said some really stupid and awful things when it comes to US politics but not recognizing that he is one of the most important figures of journalism in the world right now would be a mistake. I dont even like the guy after the Maza incident but i have nothing but respect for his work on Brasil.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The correct answer is that Glenn is a shitty person who was also done some of the most important work of brazilian journalism of the last 50 years

As of late he's a shithead who aligns with fascist/russian interests.

His work in Brazil doesn't exonerate him, nor is he the sole person reporting on it.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ looks amazing.

Just for the MCU shows and The Mandalorian alone.

Obi Wan is good too.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Glenn Greenwald is awful, but his reporting in Brazil has been pretty good. It doesn't excuse his US reporting, and I'm truly no fan of his, but it's kind of important to the totality of his work.

I also, like, would really prefer we don't do that thing where we just shit on OT threads and OT posters. I don't really post in the OT, so I don't particularly care, and there's probably a certain amount of people who otherwise might post here who think that PoliERAers are elitist snobs who use this thread to shit on the OT.

(Yes, this is modding as a not a mod, but I think we're all close enough that we can levy these issues.)

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Greg Sargent @ThePlumLineGS

This is interesting. @realDonaldTrump has now retweeted his own tweet of this Zogby poll three times, by my count:

2JUanzz.png

ViFI5Qa.png

rHCqe9D.png

9:30 PM - Aug 23, 2019

Alex Thomas @AlexThomasDC

lmao its a zogby online poll, which is barely even a poll and more like a buzzfeed quiz https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1163521046055665664 …

here's the methodology

3EMhb9Y.jpg

3:06 PM - Aug 19, 2019

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I know the world is crumbling down around us, but can we take a moment to just laugh at the fact that the President of the frickin' United States has re-tweeted his own tweets about a single cherry-picked online poll with extremely poor methodology that still only shows him at 51% approval?

Look, that's funny as hell. It's got me giggling out loud right now.

Last edited:

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
If you release Paul Ryan/GOP-style Magical Unicorn Farts policy proposals as being something you claim you're serious about, you deserve to be obliterated on the merits. At least pretend to use numbers vaguely rooted in reality or remain the slightest bit attached to sanity.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I don't ascribe to the "he's scared!" theory a lot, but I do think the economic news is really rattling him -- I think he thought, no matter what, he could get re-elected as long as the economy was strong. And now he's freaking out about it in a way only he can do.

You can also notice when he's really nervous about something he focuses on something seemingly stupid and trivial for way too long. See -- Scaramucci.

I laughed again today at Trump saying he likes the Old and New Testaments equally.
This is from when he announced but it's still SO good.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Greg Sargent @ThePlumLineGS

This is interesting. @realDonaldTrump has now retweeted his own tweet of this Zogby poll three times, by my count:

2JUanzz.png

ViFI5Qa.png

rHCqe9D.png

9:30 PM - Aug 23, 2019

Alex Thomas @AlexThomasDC

lmao its a zogby online poll, which is barely even a poll and more like a buzzfeed quiz https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1163521046055665664 …

here's the methodology

3EMhb9Y.jpg

3:06 PM - Aug 19, 2019

He's tried to pull this trick a few times already. Some crazy outlier poll and act like he finally crossed the threshold. Usually he uses Rasmussen or whatever it's called.

Status
Not open for further replies.