• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Marianne Williamson did fantastically on Dave Rubin. I definitely think bringing leftist ideas onto shows like that is a net benefit, and Williamson is much less of a kook than she might seem. The die-hards will obviously just respond angrily, and is probably the majority of people watching Rubin, but there's always people new to politics experimenting on all forms of media, and those people need to be reached too.

I'm still unsure if that means Buttigeig should have gone on. It depends on how much he'd push back like Williamson did.

29:00 if timestamp doesn't work.

Who in the holy hell are these people and why should anyone give a shit?

Really, why should we care what some weird people in a YouTube studio think about any damn thing?

Why do some of you feel the need to seek friendship, validation, or whatever it is you get from these people?

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Marianne Woowoostick is not as much of an antivaxx cultish gay curer kook as she may seem by her antivaxx cultish gay curer views and actions.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no clue what that last paragraph is referring to, and I think I'm better off for it. Well, let me amend that: someone who'd go on this show and defend Ayn Rand is also shitty just like the host.

I've truly never understood the whole YouTuber phenomenon, especially when they're trashy people who present themselves as public intellectuals.

Really, why should we care what some weird people in a YouTube studio think about any damn thing?

Why do some of you feel the need to seek friendship, validation, or whatever it is you get from these people?

Having a bad day?

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Youtube is extremely influential in modern politics, and if you ignore it, you do so at your own peril. The right has succeeded immensely because they've understood this.

I mean I don't expect everyone to know who Michael Brooks is because leftist YouTube is still relatively small (although he's part of Sam Seder's crew). Treating YouTube content like it's not an increasingly important part of the media ecosystem is really out of touch.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
No, peachy, but you know from previous discussions that the entire YouTube scene completely flummoxes me. These random people in a studio have a show. So what? Why do their opinions matter? Why do they merit being posted in this thread, or anywhere, especially when a not-insignificant number have, uh, questionable views or are pretty obviously alt-right? Why is going on their shows supposed to be something worth watching or intellectually stimulating instead of a failure of judgment? Is the only difference between Joe Blow your neighborhood bigot and "hey, he's not perfect, but he makes some good points..." really a few thousand subscribers and a livestream?

I can only produce two explanations: people watch to have their opinions validated in some way or feel some intellectual kinship or something with them. ("Friendship" was not the right word; I hope most people don't think of others they've never met or with whom they don't really interact as friends.)

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver

?

Buttigeig announcing he was going on and then not going on Dave Rubin was discussed here before without this type of pushback. Main point being I think worries of platforming, while good in some contexts like that white suprimist on cnn, it's overblown to the point of not engaging with the other side in debate at all, and is symbolic of a larger issue of non-engagement.

It's not that I disagree about these things being overly used for wierd friendships and validation in this overly digital and segmented society, but I don't know why you bring it up here. Is it weird to still value those peoples insights and news curation? I don't see why I'd value it less than literally any other sources of op-eds.

I would also lodge a similar argument about what high frequency resetera posters get from resetera too, if you want to get into extremely online behavior.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
?

Buttigeig announcing he was going on and then not going on Dave Rubin was discussed here before without this type of pushback. Main point being I think worries of platforming, while good in some contexts like that white suprimist on cnn, it's overblown to the point of not engaging with the other side in debate at all, and is symbolic of a larger issue of non-engagement.

It's not that I disagree about these things being overly used for wierd friendships and validation in this overly digital and segmented society, but I don't know why you bring it up here. Is it weird to still value those peoples insights and news curation?

I would lodge a similar argument at high frequency resetera posters too.
"Friendship" was not the right word, as you'll see in the post I wrote above, but I pretty much stand by everything else.

As for your question about values, I'll answer it this way: what people value and whose opinions they value speak to their character. And from what I've seen, a lot of these people have questionable opinions. Fill in the blanks.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, peachy, but you know from previous discussions that the entire YouTube scene completely flummoxes me.

Because you're a 70 year old in like a 25 year old's body or something.

These random people in a studio have a show. So what? Why do their opinions matter? Why do they merit being posted in this thread, or anywhere, especially when a not-insignificant number have, uh, questionable views or are pretty obviously alt-right? Why is going on their shows supposed to be something worth watching or intellectually stimulating instead of a failure of judgment? Is the only difference between Joe Blow your neighborhood bigot and "hey, he's not perfect, but he makes some good points..." really a few thousand subscribers and a livestream?

I can only produce two explanations: people watch to have their opinions validated in some way or feel some intellectual kinship or something with them. ("Friendship" was not the right word; I hope most people don't think of others they've never met or with whom they don't really interact as friends.)

It's literally no different than watching any other talking head talk about something or listening to the radio or a podcast. It just has a lower barrier to entry, so you get more shit, but with some gold every now and then.

So yes, some people watch things for validation. Some people watch things to learn. Just like any other media.

Regarding Marianne Williamson appearing on Dave Rubin or Chapo or whatever, I don't see how linking to either of those has anything to do with someone seeking validation in this thread so much as "hey these interviews were interesting." That's merit by itself if the poster who linked them thinks they are.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
You don't think Orb is valid?

Orb?

My only concept of ORB comes from Venture Bros.

Venture-Bros-Orb.jpg

Thank you!

Why the fuck are people paying any goddamn attention to hucksters that peruse YouTube or podcasts? Is this the equivalent to me going hard in the paint for Hardball and Olbermann in my teen years?

And if someone isn't a teen, how have they not grown out of that phase? What does The Young Turks, or Pod Save American, or what have you bring to your life?

Jesus, read books! History books! Fiction! Learn how people who live outside of DC think. And I say that as someone who would give a damned leg to live in DC, although for nonpolitical reasons.

"Friendship" was not the right word, as you'll see in the post I wrote above, but I pretty much stand by everything else.

As for your question about values, I'll answer it this way: what people value and whose opinions they value speak to their character. And from what I've seen, a lot of these people have questionable opinions. Fill in the blanks.

tumblr_ozji9uVNUd1r8r6jvo1_r1_400.gif

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
YouTube does matter

But it's also super stupid and dumb that nobodies matter and everyone races to argue over random takes by youtubers or whatever... beyond causal entertainment for nonsense

Like it's stupid. But so are people. And I guess a stupid platform does well enough to politically influence stupid people

Like itd be great if it was mostly just for people to just laugh at Balloonshop or Smosh videos but I guess we can't have that

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver

Why does everything have to be about some sort of ultimate judgement of the people involved instead of their actions and ideas?

I posted it for the content, not to argue for people becoming fans of that channel.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly I've learned much more from Contrapoints and The Majority Report than anything I've ever seen on, say, MSNBC.

Like a certain someone *coughkirblarcough*, I too read faster than I can watch a video, but sometimes a good YouTube or podcast is helpful to get through the workday while I otherwise immiserate myself selling my labor to a capitalist.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
YouTube does matter

But it's also super stupid and dumb that nobodies matter and everyone races to argue over random takes by youtubers or whatever... beyond causal entertainment for nonsense

Like it's stupid. But so are people. And I guess a stupid platform does well enough to politically influence stupid people

Like itd be great if it was mostly just for people to just laugh at Balloonshop or Smosh videos but I guess we can't have that
Who does matter then? What separates a nobody from a somebody? Successfully making it into the Ivy League in group that has gotten near everything wrong but still owns everything and thus still controls nearly all content outside of the internet?

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Why does everything have to be about some sort of ultimate judgement of the people involved instead of their actions and ideas?
If you don't use actions and ideas to judge people, what the hell do you use? That orb that Marianne looks into?

I'll use an example from today and from another medium, if you like. Jake Tapper of CNN invited on his show Richard Spencer. Richard. Spencer. One of the leaders of the neo-Nazi movement in this country. A goose-stepping, Sig Heiling, "Jews will not replace us" Nazi whose only goal is not debating but recruiting people to inflict harm on others and who should not be given a platform under any circumstances. You know what that tells me about Jake Tapper and CNN more broadly? They either don't care what Spencer believes and has done, don't see it as an issue, or are sympathetic to it in some way. Pick any of the three, it tells me they're shitty and not worth my time because good people and responsible broadcasters don't legitimize Nazis on a mainstream platform. And you know what? I try not to be shitty. But I guess like attracts like.

Ditto with these shitty YouTubers who are either themselves or invite on the "just asking questions" crowd or the "politically incorrect" crowd. Good people don't do that or fraternize willingly with others who do. If Dave Rubin expresses alt-right views, he's a shitty person who should be ignored, not graced with visits by prominent people who legitimize him.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
And then we can go back to reading books, or something.
Should we follow day to day events and if so, do books cover day to day events well?

Books are good too, but it's still a very weird deflection from the actual competition of youtubers, which is tv pundits, newspaper op-ed writers, bloggers, and political social media.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
All sides are equal in the "marketplace of ideas". /s

The Mueller Report is going to be interesting to watch.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't use actions and ideas to judge people, what the hell do you use? That orb that Marianne looks into?

I'll use an example from today and from another medium, if you like. Jake Tapper of CNN invited on his show Richard Spencer. Richard. Spencer. One of the leaders of the neo-Nazi movement in this country. A goose-stepping, Sig Heiling, "Jews will not replace us" Nazi whose only goal is not debating but recruiting people to inflict harm on others and who should not be given a platform under any circumstances. You know what that tells me about Jake Tapper and CNN more broadly? They either don't care what Spencer believes and has done, don't see it as an issue, or are sympathetic to it in some way. Pick any of the three, it tells me they're shitty and not worth my time because good people and responsible broadcasters don't legitimize Nazis on a mainstream platform. And you know what? I try not to be shitty. But I guess like attracts like.

Ditto with these shitty YouTubers who are either themselves or invite on the "just asking questions" crowd or the "politically incorrect" crowd. Good people don't do that or fraternize willingly with others who do. If Dave Rubin expresses alt-right views, he's a shitty person who should be ignored, not graced with visits by prominent people who legitimize him.
Idk about all that. You guys are taking an extremely hardline; it's dangerous for people in conservative, alt-right adjacent bubbles to not be presented w/ any alternative. It doesn't mean it's always a good idea to go on these shows, particularly if the leftist is just going to agree with the conservative host. This was my point from the beginning - which you seem to not acknowledge.

But your comment about using podcasts/you tubers as a means of validating your own beliefs, or as friendship, or whatever else is a pretty interesting idea.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Who does matter then? What separates a nobody from a somebody? Successfully making it into the Ivy League in group that has gotten near everything wrong but still owns everything and thus still controls nearly all content outside of the internet?

I don't think comparing the real world applications for the left is a good avenue to go down. They've made many victories, but if they were so right all the time why aren't the ones in power or having their theories succeed in the market place of ideas of politics? Where are their armies of politicians fighting on the front lines in congress, for example? Why aren't they matching conservative politicians in number?

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Rogan speaks to me. Dave Rubin has on so many interesting people. The marketplace of ideas and time is finite and somehow these voices find me and speak to me and I must share their great insights and discuss their wisdoms. Praise the algorithm that unites great minds such as these.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver

Maybe there's a misunderstanding who is being argued about, because I posted a clip from a left wing YouTuber attacking Dave Rubin, and you sounded like you were attacking left youtubers too. I'll go into the nuance of why I value the opinion of micheal brooks and Ezra Klein equally despite them having very different views and histories and accolades while also seeing Dave Rubin as a general threat, but maybe that's not needed.

Basically I think Williamson going on Dave Rubin is good for the exact same reason Spencer on CNN is bad. Williamson is in Spencer's seat in the analogy, while Dave Rubin is CNN in that scenario.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Lol why do you need to watch any of these talking heads.

I mean there are a few Op columnist I read like Gail Collins because she is a queen and goddess. But otherwise I'd rather have a spider lay eggs in my eyeballs generally.

It's not like any of you are incapable of formulating opinions without being told them.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Lol why do you need to watch any of these talking heads.

I mean there are a few Op columnist I read like Gail Collins because she is a queen and goddess. But otherwise I'd rather have a spider lay eggs in my eyeballs generally.

It's not like any of you are incapable of formulating opinions without being told them.
I don't get this dismissing of one of the various forms that people learn is a productive exercise. Some people, like me, are more visual and auditory learners than words on a page. Video holds my attention much more these days than print does and YouTube is one of the main delivery methods. I don't get why y'all think it's lesser than just because it's not on paper.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
They absolutely deserve the hate, they love dishing it out.
They're extremely critical of the Dem Establishment (which is good) and have a bias for Sanders (which they admit to)

Aside from that, and their founder's horrible blog posts from last decade, I'm having a hard time remembering their negative contributions to the political landscape.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
How are they even comparable?

I swear the TYT hate here is mostly unwarranted and they're almost like polar opposites to the alt right.

There's a big difference between being "critical" and spending the majority of their time outright smearing anyone that they don't like (which is 99% of democrats).

I've watched alot of TYT and i've watched alot of Fox News because it's always on at the gym, the time they spend smearing democrats is pretty similar and they've hired some pretty problematic people and given their platform to people like Jill Stein even after she endorsed Trump.

At bare minimum, they're problematic.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
They're extremely critical of the Dem Establishment (which is good) and have a bias for Sanders (which they admit to)

Aside from that, and their founder's horrible blog posts from last decade, I'm having a hard time remembering their negative contributions to the political landscape.

No, they're not "extremely critical" they're out for blood for the Dems, as much as the GOP. They smear, love to engage in theatrics and hyperbole (Cenk particularly), encourage conspiracy theories, and are outright hostile the idea centrists or liberals exist as an opposition. Rarely have I seen them attempt to honestly understand or accept that their opponents within the Dems might have a point or that engaging in the system itself can be a moral or practical good to get agendas through congress. And they're up to their Bernie Bro bullshit this year, as well. They're not "on" unless it's to spite the system, and they were vital in getting AOC's COS into position. They're completely ok with his "fuck the man to the point of self destruction" bullshit - he represents TYT better than AOC herself does.

edit: And it wayyyyyy to long for them to cut ties with Jimmy Dore.

edit: You want a leftist YT channel who will criticise the Democratic establishment in good faith watch The Majority Report.

Last edited:

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what kind of crazy shit will go down today. Have a feeling Trump will somehow ratchet everything up even more.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what kind of crazy shit will go down today. Have a feeling Trump will somehow ratchet everything up even more.
Trump is going to start by attacking the former rnc chair, Steele. Then getting t to follow up with attacks on pelosi. But not before more racist spittle towards the squad and more!

It's gonna be that with an attack on the judicial system tomorrow if Epstein is ordered to stay in prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.