• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Honestly thinking the Switch might be my last game console.
Lately I keep telling myself that but nah. I think gaming will be a lifelong hobby for me. Can't begrudge anyone for "growing out of it," though, I'm also not 30 yet and don't have kids.

I'll probably end up like my dad, who stopped playing video games after the NES sunset but still enjoys his old favorites. I bought him an NES mini and it'll probably last him the rest of his life.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Lately I keep telling myself that but nah. I think gaming will be a lifelong hobby for me. Can't begrudge anyone for "growing out of it," though, I'm also not 30 yet and don't have kids.

I'll probably end up like my dad, who stopped playing video games after the NES sunset but still enjoys his old favorites. I bought him an NES mini and it'll probably last him the rest of his life.

When you have kids, you'll find yourself playing games with them and its pretty fun.

My daughter loves tetris effect. She will play it on her own or dance along to it while i finish a stage

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Have Warren/Harris made gains on Biden in the Southern states, or is he still pretty likely to clean those up once primary season starts?

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That is not what happened at all. It's a fact that he had no idea it was going on so it was impossible for him to act on it. Once he found out about it, he made it so there was an independent place, victims could turn to, so that they could get justice. He also had mandatory training on the subject for all staffers for his current campaign.

Of course, he could have done that at the start. That's the only thing you can fault him, but that's completely different from saying he just handwaved the problem. People use a video clip of his interview and don't use the entire interview where he explains this. He clearly explains that his campaign blew up and so was ignorant about having these safeguards while he was focused on traveling and campaigning. That's not the same thing as not thinking it's a serious problem. If he didn't think it was a serious problem, he wouldn't have changed his campaign for the better.

Jesus christ. You're talking about the Cuomo interview right? He doesn't say she's outright catching up because of only that as if that's all Warren is. He says there are lots of factors and he also mentioned some people wanting to vote for a younger candidate. This was all framed around the "electability" narrative. And so if somebody does think a younger candidate or a women candidate is more electable and are voting having taken that into account, then his statement is true. In this very thread, you have people listing age as a factor for why they don't want Bernie. Are you now going to say that Bernie is wrong in saying that there are voters who do take that into account? That's essentially what he's saying. There are numerous factors for why it's happening. How do you explain this despite Warren being similar to Bernie?

Clearly he isn't pro women despite having a pro women record for decades. But let's ignore that because we like to make fun of Bernie supporters all to justify irrational hatred towards a progressive candidate.
I don't know about any interview where he says it about Warren specifically, but he's said it multiple times before where he talks to a wall about how and I quote "you can't just say I'm a woman and hope to get elected"

He said it in 2016 and he said it when he announced in for 2020 and it was garbage strawmanning each time

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
You wouldn't have Senator Bredesen without TSwift. Your faves could nev... wait what

Damn it.

Same. I enjoy gaming far too much to just walk away from it. As long as I'm able to, I'm gonna keep playing.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
It's irrational if she supports Biden and ignores Bernie's pro women record. We're talking about Biden who sexually harasses people and is the one person who did handwave his criticism.

The term "irrationality" is used to remove a person's agency, to deem them "crazy" without using the more incendiary phrasing. It's venomous.

This gets into the political theory weeds, but rational choice theory is not as simple as "this makes sense". It's more along the lines of "this makes sense to this individual." We all have hierarchies for our rationale that do not necessarily accord with "common sense" or a group mentality. We consciously or subconsciously rank our preferences on multiple spectra and hierarchies to reflect our general beliefs and understandings.

Thus, a Catholic who may espouse pro-choice views. Or an atheist who evokes anti-choice views. No one is beholden to their station, because their beliefs and preferences cohere through a multitude of culminating experiences. I'm a white, straight man who, in defiance of most statistics, supports liberal causes. I work with numerous African-Americans who, despite most statistics, are culturally conservative.

Say it's contradictory; that's fine. Say it's contrarian; that's fine. But "irrational"? May as well call her crazed, with all the baggage the term implies.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
The term "irrationality" is used to remove a person's agency, to deem them "crazy" without using the more incendiary phrasing. It's venomous.

This gets into the political theory weeds, but rational choice theory is not as simple as "this makes sense". It's more along the lines of "this makes sense to this individual." We all have hierarchies for our rationale that do not necessarily accord with "common sense" or a group mentality. We consciously or subconsciously rank our preferences on multiple spectra and hierarchies to reflect our general beliefs and understandings.

Thus, a Catholic who may espouse pro-choice views. Or an atheist who evokes anti-choice views. No one is beholden to their station, because their beliefs and preferences cohere through a multitude of culminating experiences. I'm a white, straight man who, in defiance of most statistics, supports liberal causes. I work with numerous African-Americans who, despite most statistics, are culturally conservative.

Say it's contradictory; that's fine. Say it's contrarian; that's fine. But "irrational"? May as well call her crazed, with all the baggage the term implies.

You're hung up on the guy using the term irrational as if he claimed she is being "hysterical", with all the sexism baggage that goes along with that, but the two words aren't synonymous. Hysterical means "deriving from or affected by uncontrolled extreme emotion" whereas irrational simply means not logical or reasonable. One is dismissing someone by speaking down to them as if they are being "overly emotional", while the other has a point of contention around the idea of logic - which is essential for debate or any other political discussion.

I'm not a Bernie fan, but the lady implies in the video that she knows she is being irrational. I'd say that "Bernie Sanders makes my skin crawl.. and I can't even identify for you what exactly it is" is her admitting that she is lacking logic or reason to go along with her statement.

Last edited:

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I feel like Swift is still a major influencer, I just don't think she resonates with much of the TN crowd anymore. Hell back in the day when she was still a teen and I loved country I was a Republican, but now I'm a bleeding heart liberal. Things change, as did her target audience.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Republicans in the house will try to grill Mueller on Joseph Mifsud based on a recent EXCLUSIVE TO SINCLAIRE BROADCASTING story I just saw.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a Bernie fan, but the lady implies in the video that she knows she is being irrational. "Bernie Sanders makes my skin crawl.. and I can't even identify for you what exactly it is."

You're hung up on the guy using the term irrational as if he claimed she is being "hysterical", with all the sexism baggage that goes along with that, but the two words aren't synonymous.
Her brain heard all the diet sexist shit he says and was able to process it, even if it was subconsciously.

Looks like Republicans in the house will try to grill Mueller on Joseph Mifsud based on a recent EXCLUSIVE TO SINCLAIRE BROADCASTING story I just saw.
I'm fine with them making asses of themselves and wasting their allotted time as always.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Her brain heard all the diet sexist shit he says and was able to process it, even if it was subconsciously.

I'm fine with them making asses of themselves and wasting their allotted time as always.

That's fine. Like I said, I'm not a big Bernie guy and he may be sexist. That doesn't mean her argument wouldn't have been more rational had she used logic, reasons, or examples.

She reminded me of Colin Cowherd a bit. He always says stuff like "I just *feeeel* like ______ isn't a great player." Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's wrong, but he'd be a lot more credible if he backed his stuff up beyond feelings... maybe less entertaining, though.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I really wonder (no I don't) how even a Trump supporter can look at his presidency and regard it as anything but an absolute failure.

He's rotten to the core but has also failed to deliver on many of his key promises. Obamacare, still standing. The wall, not standing. It's a joke.

Even when he does stuff they like (locking children in cages) they'll fire back that it was an Obama policy. So? He can't even take credit for it then.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Swift is still a major influencer, I just don't think she resonates with much of the TN crowd anymore. Hell back in the day when she was still a teen and I loved country I was a Republican, but now I'm a bleeding heart liberal. Things change, as did her target audience.

I don't know, I feel like "this celebrity endorsed a candidate" isn't actually huge motivator for most people to vote for that candidate (although I guess it can be a pretty powerful motivator to hashtag cancel a celebrity, depending on who they endorse)

I really wonder (no I don't) how even a Trump supporter can look at his presidency and regard it as anything but an absolute failure.

He's rotten to the core but has also failed to deliver on many of his key promises. Obamacare, still standing. The wall, not standing. It's a joke.

Even when he does stuff they like (locking children in cages) they'll fire back that it was an Obama policy. So? He can't even take credit for it then.

he "saved the economy" though???

Oct 25, 2017

Is Hilary President? No? Then it is a success to them (and... others)

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

They're just fine with him as long as he continues to oppress minorities.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
You're hung up on the guy using the term irrational as if he claimed she is being "hysterical", with all the sexism baggage that goes along with that, but the two words aren't synonymous. Hysterical means "deriving from or affected by uncontrolled extreme emotion" whereas irrational simply means not logical or reasonable. One is dismissing someone by speaking down to them as if they are being "overly emotional", while the other has a point of contention around the idea of logic - which is essential for debate or any other political discussion.

I'm not a Bernie fan, but the lady implies in the video that she knows she is being irrational. I'd say that "Bernie Sanders makes my skin crawl.. and I can't even identify for you what exactly it is" is her admitting that she is lacking logic or reason to go along with her statement.

Coming from a linguistically oriented background, the daylight between "affected by uncontrolled extreme emotion" and "illogical" is nearly eclipse-like.

The point is that the history is describing female grievance with lack of logic or extreme emotion is fraught with peril. A person describing their experiences with vague assignations is not inherently illogical so much as lacking in specific verbiage. And frankly, most folks are unable to describe their particular issues with exacting precision, but their feelings, mushy as those may be, mean something to them. To dismiss them as "irrational", especially in a woman's context, is gross.

Oct 25, 2017
She reminded me of Colin Cowherd a bit. He always says stuff like "I just *feeeel* like ______ isn't a great player." Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's wrong, but he'd be a lot more credible if he backed his stuff up beyond feelings... maybe less entertaining, though.

Wait, Colin Cowherd could conceivably be even less entertaining than he is?

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Coming from a linguistically oriented background, the daylight between "affected by uncontrolled extreme emotion" and "illogical" is nearly eclipse-like.

The point is that the history is describing female grievance with lack of logic or extreme emotion is fraught with peril. A person describing their experiences with vague assignations is not inherently illogical so much as lacking in specific verbiage. And frankly, most folks are unable to describe their particular issues with exacting precision, but their feelings, mushy as those may be, mean something to them. To dismiss them as "irrational", especially in a woman's context, is gross.

I come from a linguistically oriented background as well. Someone can be illogical without being affected by uncontrolled extreme emotion. Someone can't be hysterical without being affect by uncontrolled extreme emotion. They aren't the same word and they don't have the same meaning, but you're treating them as if they are and do.

If the poster had called the women hysterical, I would have agreed with you. I just also think pointing out a lack of logic or reason has a healthy place in political discussion.

Wait, Colin Cowherd could conceivably be even less entertaining than he is?

It's a hard bar to lower, but he is the best equipped to try.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

I'm going to take shit that didn't happen because there is no evidence of it for the second half of that tweet for $2000, Alex.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017

Trump supporters don't apply logic to their thinking.

They just go "Dur hur. Trump has them beat" while furiously playing with themselves.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

It's all about owning the libs for them. That's all it is. The whole thing is about being a dick to another human being.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

Whose ability to dodge tough questions then disappear was brought about by Papa D lying to investigators but was realized after his sentencing (yay reading the Report!)

So the question is, how did these lunchmeats get Mifsud in all their heads, and what was the ringleader's aim in that?

Party of fiscal responsibility

Remember, $1T debt added this year...from the WH's estimation.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Whose ability to dodge tough questions then disappear was brought about by Papa D lying to investigators but was realized after his sentencing (yay reading the Report!)

So the question is, how did these lunchmeats get Mifsud in all their heads, and what was the ringleader's aim in that?

Remember, $1T debt added this year...from the WH's estimation.

A news story about Mifsud popped up in late May. The usual right-wing subjects are going on about it.

With Mueller testifying on Wednesday, I am sure Sinclaire cooked up this story to "report" on to muddy the waters a bit by saying Mifsud had connections to the FBI when the Russia probe began and that they may have been a plant to start a phony probe against Trump to help Hillary. Of course, all of the soundbites they used were from Nunes.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I know we'll not (here) learn anything new out of Muller most likely, but the highlights of this shit do need to be on live TV and on the nightly news so the average person is at least marginally informed.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019

It's not about what he does, it's about the fact that THEIR guy is the one that gets to be up there.
These turdwats have been in an ever long state of jubilee since November 2016.

It's a fucking sports team for them.
They're just proud they picked the winning side and that the liberals lost

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

Biden kisses his granddaughter on the lips.

Although some might find it normal, Biden should be aware of the optics of some of his creepiness.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
much like how Trump doubles down on his racist comments when criticized, Biden will kiss each and every family member he has full on the mouth until he's in the oval office

Status
Not open for further replies.