• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man that AOC thread blew up.

The climate strike was amazing to witness. Not enough has been said around here but it at least gives me hope in humanity somewhat. Also saw the congressional hearing which was about as good as it can be.

OP
OP
Ogodei

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
As an aside, I think an eventual house vote on impeachment is more likely inevitable at this point now that we're in a pseudo impeachment investigation. At least, I'd hope dems are smart enough not to set themselves up for such an utter blunder. Because if Trump ends up being able to campaign on the dems effectively clearing him, then lol.

And with that in mind, it's important for dems now, especially in leadership, to not weaken that eventual inevitability.

This is also important. If you start impeachment proceedings then you need to be 110% sure that the caucus will vote to impeach. If the proceedings are inconclusive then it hands him a huge propaganda win.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the general election were decided by 50 caucuses.

Electoral college sure does give caucuses a run for their money on stupidity grounds tho

This is also important. If you start impeachment proceedings then you need to be 110% sure that the caucus will vote to impeach. If the proceedings are inconclusive then it hands him a huge propaganda win.

The House caucus is ready. All of the most vulnerable House Ds are people that specifically ran in 2018 because, if not explicitly, they are clearly alarmed by Trump. If you lose Collin Peterson along the way, I think you can live with that.

Given the Kavanaugh fiasco, I have a lot more doubts about Schumer's ability (or interest) in whipping votes on this, and Senate defections would be really bad. Not unlike the House, most of the most vulnerable/resistant members have already lost (lol) but Manchin loves to remind us what a dick maverick he is even though this is probably his last term in the Senate, whether he knows it or not.

OP
OP
Ogodei

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Correction, the NYT usuals muddied the waters.

Everyone else has been pointing out how impeachable this all is. And asking more questions of trump.

This illustrates a basic change from 2016, beyond the sexism. As the favorite to win, Clinton scandals were inherently more newsworthy. Now if a story implicates both Trump and the Democratic frontrunner, *Trump's* involvement is the more newsworthy of the two.

Oct 25, 2017
Selzer poll shows the Civiqs one wasn't an outlier. Bernie is failing to attract any Clinton 2016 supporters.
EFFInSQXkAEqpnH.jpg%3Alarge

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
yeah the fact that Pelosi may be preventing impeachment because she doesn't trust Schumer is rather terrifying. this whole impeachment saga really reflects poorly on the both of them

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
*watches sunday shows and sees a broken naughahyde couch by the side of the road impersonate a POTUS*

Im getting more and more relieved by the day on this scandal and the vast majority of the press' ability to not only NOT take the bait, but chastise their colleagues who do.

Voting on impeachment will have no impact without an investigation. We are doing the investigation now.

Which is what bungled messaging kills. We even have AOC misinterpreting this and spreading it, and she usually doesn't fuck up getting stuff.

I mean, showing off the skeletons in his closet is 99% of the battle at this point. Look at the above, the crooks and traitors are reeling; they can't spin this without landing in another lie or scandal...yet leadership is fucking up the orders to press the advantage.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That was the same argument when the Republicans pulled that bullshit with Garland. "We can't fight for this seat, that would break norms...... let's wait until the 2016 election"

Dem leadership's problem is they all got scared for life after Reagan and always believe some silent majority is out there waiting to vote against them in mass if they stand up for what they claim to believe in.

I really need to get around to reading Camelot's End cuz yah.

Cuz it does lead to that reasonable false equivalency of taking POC voters for granted but also hand-wringing over what dyed-in-the-wool GOP voters think of liberal-ass liberal policies sans any eficacy. It's extra maddenign in this new hyperpartisan environment.

It's more than at a minimum, cars have been banned since 1896, and are only allowed in emergencies. It forced me as a kid to learn how to ride a bike because my family wanted to do a tour of the island.

It's another example of him and his ilk shitting on their detractors because they're "the enemy" but also shitting on their supporters cuz those rubes will take it.

Or that he's wrote MI off one, i dunno.

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't trust Schumer to do what?
Whip the Dem votes in the Senate, which I honestly hadn't considered before. If even one stupid D senator voted against conviction it would completely torpedo the message.

edit: I have no idea whether Pelosi "trusts" Schumer or what, but I hadn't thought about how massively risky it is to have a Dem senator go rogue on the vote.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Bernie's people still break for Biden if he drops out.
There has been a significant change in morning consult's tracking of it., in that Biden's second choice is split almost equally between Bernie and Warren, favoring Bernie slightly, Bernie's Biden/Warren favoring Biden slightly, Warren is Bernie/Biden, favoring Bernie slightly (oddly, Warren's base has warmed to Biden significantly). All within 1-2%, so basically someone dropping out atm will have pretty much no effect on who's winning.
morningconsult.com

2020 Democratic Primary

Harris dropping out would boost Warren, however.

I never actually believed those polls saying Bernie/Biden voters break for the other guy. To me those are people that are probably not voting for either one. They're just picking names in a hat.
Or voters are a lot more surface level than you think.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whip the Dem votes in the Senate, which I honestly hadn't considered before. If even one stupid D senator voted against conviction it would completely torpedo the message.

edit: I have no idea whether Pelosi "trusts" Schumer or what, but I hadn't thought about how massively risky it is to have a Dem senator go rogue on the vote.

Manchin and probably Jones/Sinema wouldn't vote to impeach, unless there were GOP votes to impeach in the House.

That's the whole point I think. If it comes across as pure D only, you're not getting every Senate D. It'll just take something that's supposedly about justice, and make it about partisanship.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Anyone get the feeling that Hillary's campaign had more of the "she's a woman/I'm with her" vibe that warrens/kamala/Klobuchar? I feel like it hasn't really come up. I think that's good

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone get a little dusty that we might have a woman president? I'm saddened that I have to wish we're better as a country that it's not even an issue, but if it's not Hillary, I'm happy it's Warren.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Worst case scenario... Dems don't impeach and don't get his taxes (thanks Pelosi and Neal), Trump cheats again and wins again. He already has the incumbent advantage and has raised over $204M already. The economy is slowing but with rates going down all it will take is any deal with China, even an interim deal lasting a year, and the stock market will have plenty of support. In term 2 he gets at least one more SC seat (thanks RBG for not retiring in 2014 when you were 81 years old), thus ensuring a conservative stacked SC for decades if not generations. Any talk of impeachment then will be countered with "sore losers" as well as, "The left constantly accuses me of things they can never prove. If I had done half these things they would have impeached in 2019." He finally leaves in 2024, and even *if* a Dem wins he never gets punished for his crimes. Talk of "unity" and "healing". He skates free of all his crimes and reminds the world daily that he's the greatest PotuS ever, even if that means under-mining a new GOP President. You know he's not going to go quietly into the night like Bush or Obama. This chain of events is not a long shot.

I'm disappointed for the state of democracy in the future that PotuS now means King. We haven't even got his financial info which is surely hiding decades of illegal behavior, and we still have so so much that warrants prosecution. I'm disappointed that Neal didn't have his paperwork in for Trump's taxes by 5pm on the second day, instead of waiting months to even ask. I'm disappointed the the Dems do nothing more than subpoenas which are ignored and nothing ever happens. "Oh well, we tried", they say. Multiple people are showing open contempt... and nothing happens. The GOP would have these people locked up by the end of the week. Now I read here today that Mitch has latitude in the rules to not even try PotuS if the House ever impeaches. The article said, "...sole power to try", so he could tie it up in (Trump stacked) courts for years before ever requiring any GOP Senator to vote on impeachment. This is the party who ignored the "shall provide" law regarding taxes, so I have no doubt if there's a way for Mitch to bend the rules he'll do it.

It's a shite state of affairs to be in (Tommy). I absolutely blame Trump, Mitch and the GOP for this, but I also wish Dem leadership would show some fucking spine instead of rolling over to present their soft belly.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Anyone get the feeling that Hillary's campaign had more of the "she's a woman/I'm with her" vibe that warrens/kamala/Klobuchar? I feel like it hasn't really come up. I think that's good

Hillary was the first with a chance. And frankly she earned the use of that rhetoric, no matter if it was right to do or not.

Those four do even need to feel an inkling to do it because Hillary already did.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I don't really understand. What did you want the Democrats (in minorities in both houses) to do about Garland? Have Obama appoint him via executive order?

Democratic VOTERS don't give a shit about the Supreme Court. That's the problem. Not that "dem leadership" didn't do anything.

If things were reversed they would have figured out a way. The fact he refused to even take it a confirmation process alone should have been fought.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City

This has been a giant unanswered question since his announcement.

I said this too one of my friends. Bernie and his people had 2 years to get there shit together to centralize power in the Dem Party. The question everyone should have is what the fuck they were doing.

On the flip there are multiple articles on Warren talking to every delegate possible and donating money Down Ballot to engineer at least a friendly environment towards her running. Warren is running the campaign Bernie should have ran as the people's champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.