• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
it's pretty funny reading that "sanders cancels past due medical debt" thread in light of that one poster in here complaining about how this thread is just too mean

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Mother Nature's Super Bar is full.

Also, come on, never heard of a Category Five? And he spends a lot of time in Florida?

You don't have to lie about the meaningless shit!
In a weird way, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump weren't lying here.

The man is devoid of any sort of intellectual curiousity. I wouldn't be surprised if, until now, he only viewed hurricanes as "big windy things I go to Trump Tower now."

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
There's literally been four Category 5 hurricanes since Trump became president.

Irma, Maria, Michael and Dorian.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it's pretty funny reading that "sanders cancels past due medical debt" thread in light of that one poster in here complaining about how this thread is just too mean
I mean, WHICH one?
Brock, Fork, Melkr (I assume now because I don't read his posts), lm-whatever? There's a few.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Why is she so terrible?

>

Maggie Haberman @maggieNYT

Deleted a tweet about a NYPost article on cyclist-caused accidents and picking my battles! Happy Sunday, all.

1:05 PM - Sep 1, 2019

The ultimate is coming.

>

Daniel Dale @ddale8

Trump has been saying since 2017 that he doesn't know if he's heard of a Category 5 hurricane, even as he's heard of additional Category 5 hurricanes. https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1168206303946256385 …

1:01 PM - Sep 1, 2019

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
honestly trump should have been removed from office after the response to hurricane maria

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

The ultimate is coming.

We toss around a lot of hyperbole in these parts but he's without a single doubt the dumbest of all the 45 presidents. Had Bush Sr. croaked while in office and Dan "can't spell potato" Quayle had become president, Trump would still be the dumbest.

Patrick Svitek @PatrickSvitek

"Words alone are inadequate," @GovAbbott says in Odessa. "Words must be met with action." #txlege

1:35 PM - Sep 1, 2019

CBS News @CBSNews

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott speaks in Odessa after the state's latest mass shooting: "I have been to too many of these events...Too many Texans are in mourning" http://cbsnews.com/live

1:44 PM - Sep 1, 2019

Hasn't Abbott personally weakened the gun control laws in Texas? Blood meet hands.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

"Words alone are inadequate," @GovAbbott says in Odessa. "Words must be met with action." #txlege

CBS News @CBSNews

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott speaks in Odessa after the state's latest mass shooting: "I have been to too many of these events...Too many Texans are in mourning" http://cbsnews.com/live

"I have been to too many of these events...to many Republican lawmakers offering vague sentiments about gun control, then doing nothing"

WarioFan63

Oct 25, 2017
IL

Representative Matt Schaefer

"Do something!" is the statement we keep hearing. As an elected official with a vote in Austin, let me tell you what I am NOT going to do. I am NOT going to use the evil acts of a handful of people to diminish the God-given rights of my fellow Texans. Period. None of these so-called gun-control solutions will work to stop a person with evil intent. I say NO to "red flag" pre-crime laws. NO to universal background checks. NO to bans on AR-15s, or high capacity magazines. NO to mandatory gun buybacks. What can we do? YES to praying for victims. YES to praying for protection. YES to praying that God would transform the hearts of people with evil intent. YES to fathers not leaving their wives and children. YES to discipline in the homes. YES to supporting our public schools. YES to giving every law-abiding single mom the right to carry a handgun to protect her and her kids without permission from the state, and the same for all other law-abiding Texans of age. YES to your God-given, constitutionally protected rights. YES to God, and NO to more government intrusions.

Why even label gun rights as a "God-given" right? I admit I haven't read it cover to cover, but I'd hazard a guess that guns show up in The Bible a total of zero times.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Why even label gun rights as a "God-given" right? I admit I haven't read it cover to cover, but I'd hazard a guess that guns show up in The Bible a total of zero times.
"God-given" has become a white supremacist dog-whistle in certain groups. And maintaining free access to guns has become a white supremacist pillar, because Lord knows this same energy isn't kept when it comes to minorities legally owning guns.

Oct 25, 2017
We toss around a lot of hyperbole in these parts but he's without a single doubt the dumbest of all the 45 presidents. Had Bush Sr. croaked while in office and Dan "can't spell potato" Quayle had become president, Trump would still be the dumbest.

Trump is by far the dumbest. Harding is a distant second. Third is interesting. Probably Reagan, but I can be swayed here.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really matter what Abbott says. Republicans are generally not very flexible when comes to dealing with social issues like mass shooting and circumstances surrounding it. The gun culture and lobbyists are just too strong within the party.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Holy shit, he's not lying for once.

He's framing "I aint signing shit, I just got done simpering and fawning to the listing hulk remnants of the NRA two weeks ago over El Paso and Dayton" so Toomey up there gets the message.

"Difficulty" is in play here.

Hasn't Abbott personally weakened the gun control laws in Texas? Blood meet hands.

Jade Helm aint doing shit and spinning. But he's also dumb so it's red meat for anyone willing to do this.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

WaPo: Some secrets do keep. A year later, the Trump official who penned an explosive op-ed is still unknown.

To date, only five people know — or are known to know — the identity of the author. They are Times publisher A.G. Sulzberger; editorial page editor James Bennet; op-ed editor James Dao; the "intermediary;" and the author him/herself. (The list of those who presumably don't know includes the journalists in the Times's newsroom, among whom are some of the finest investigative reporters in the world.)
It is possible that someone inside the administration knows, too, thanks to a clue the author dropped in the op-ed. The writer quoted "a top official" who complained to him or her about a meeting in the Oval Office in which Trump changed his mind about "a major policy decision." The author quoted this official as saying, "There is literally no telling whether he might change his mind from one minute to the next."
Bennet and Dao declined requests for an interview for this story. In a statement, however, Bennet wrote: "As we said a year ago, this op-ed offered a significant first-person perspective that had not yet been presented to Times readers, describing the efforts made by some inside to carry out policies they believed in while containing what they saw as the president's troubling impulses. The substance of that piece has been born out by reporting at The Times and elsewhere over the past year."
Journalists protect sources regularly, but Anonymous isn't just any old source. In the few instances in which there was public curiosity about an anonymous source or writer, the person's identity eventually became known.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
So Dorian is a cat 5 now?

Yes, the Bahamas are seriously fucked. (185 mph last advisory, which is about as strong as they get)
They are forecasting 15 to 20 feet storm surge last I heard, and parts will be in Cat 4 conditions for 24 hours.

Florida east coast should not count this storm out yet, and still have a plan in place.
Slow moving storms are more unpredictable. Cat 5 slow moving storms, even more so.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
What article did Maggie link to? Was it in the post or the times? Did she write it?

"God-given" has become a white supremacist dog-whistle in certain groups. And maintaining free access to guns has become a white supremacist pillar, because Lord knows this same energy isn't kept when it comes to minorities legally owning guns.
This post prompted me to listen to the NIN song God Given a few times this AM. That album ended up being disturbingly prescient for a dystopian concept album.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Third-party groups apparently feeling confident about KY-GOV.

Beshear's campaign also has plenty of money.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the Bahamas are seriously fucked. (185 mph last advisory, which is about as strong as they get)
They are forecasting 15 to 20 feet storm surge last I heard, and parts will be in Cat 4 conditions for 24 hours.

Florida east coast should not count this storm out yet, and still have a plan in place.
Slow moving storms are more unpredictable. Cat 5 slow moving storms, even more so.
When is it expected to hit the Florida coast?

Oct 27, 2017

CBS News @CBSNews

My mind first read the chyron as "Officials give up on Texas deadly shooting"

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
honestly i am living for all the also rans pitching a fit about the primary being rigged because they don't meet the requirements for the debates. like they aren't even complaining about ballot access, they're whining that they won't get to have a minute and a half of coherent talk time during a two hour debate, even after the lying crooked dnc as like "ok fine the october requirements will be the same as the september ones, so you can still make the cut for october if you miss out on september"

Status
Not open for further replies.