• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Is this really an issue of Dems being too trusting? They were going to a 9/11 ceremony. There were no votes scheduled for that time. Are they supposed to fucking handcuff themselves to the chamber floor 24/7 to prevent the GOP from launching a surprise vote when no vote is scheduled to happen?

It's crazy to me that you can even vote to override a veto with so much of the legislature missing.

The "Dems will NEVER learn" shit in this thread is sometimes so obnoxious. If McConnell bludgeoned Chuck Schumer in his sleep, it would be Schumer's fault for not wearing a helmet to bed.

I disagree. It not that Dems will never learn its that Dems will never accept this is now war. If soldiers decided they could take a holiday because the enemy said they wouldn't attack that day, and then attacked knowing their guard was down, would you blame the enemy for lying? If a general was assassinated because he had lax security, would you blame the enemy for being sneaky?

Of course not. The point of war Is to win. And the enemy should be expected to use any weakness to their maximum advantage. That's what's happening here.

Too many democrats, both politicians and voters, fail to accept things have changed, and they need to have a different mind set. They can no longer treat the gop as 'my friends across the isle' or even 'people with whom I disagree'. They have to accept the gop are the enemy and will use any tactic to win, and they need to respond accordingly, because the gop has long ago accepted that change.

So If chaining themselves to their desk is the only way to fight back, they should chain themselves t o their desks. If that means wearing a helmet to bed, they wear a helmet to bed. Anything less is abandoning their duty.

/rant

Sorry if that's came iff as angry. It's still early for me and I haven't harm my coffe yet.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
Is this really an issue of Dems being too trusting? They were going to a 9/11 ceremony. There were no votes scheduled for that time. Are they supposed to fucking handcuff themselves to the chamber floor 24/7 to prevent the GOP from launching a surprise vote when no vote is scheduled to happen?

It's crazy to me that you can even vote to override a veto with so much of the legislature missing.

The "Dems will NEVER learn" shit in this thread is sometimes so obnoxious. If McConnell bludgeoned Chuck Schumer in his sleep, it would be Schumer's fault for not wearing a helmet to bed.

I won't speak for others but I'm not angry with the Democrats in this case, more that it's indicative of where the GOP is as a party. It just seems blatantly obvious that the "normalcy" that Biden wants to return to just doesn't exist in the legislature, and that is extremely problematic for Biden as a candidate.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry. When Biden wins the GOP will come to their senses and we will all cumbaya over whiskey in the cloak room.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Doesn't the veto override still have to go through the Senate which will almost certainly not have the numbers for this, especially now?
so what exactly was the point of this? Just to be dicks NCGOP? Wow, way to go there guys.
Edit: Nvm, that's a simple majority ugh.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't the veto override still have to go through the Senate which will almost certainly not have the numbers for this, especially now?
so what exactly was the point of this? Just to be dicks NCGOP? Wow, way to go there guys.

Cooper has signaled he'll take legal action against the NCGOP. Given how brazen and shitfilled this is, and with receipts that GOP did promise no votes during 9/11 memorial, I could see this be yet another legal loss for NCGOP.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Nope, it takes 60%, just like in the House. They don't have the numbers for it, unless the rules are different for budgets. But why would they be? The reason the Republicans pulled this is because they don't have 60% in the House either. If it was by simple majority there would be no need for such underhanded tactics.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. It not that Dems will never learn its that Dems will never accept this is now war. If soldiers decided they could take a holiday because the enemy said they wouldn't attack that day, and then attacked knowing their guard was down, would you blame the enemy for lying? If a general was assassinated because he had lax security, would you blame the enemy for being sneaky?

Of course not. The point of war Is to win. And the enemy should be expected to use any weakness to their maximum advantage. That's what's happening here.

Too many democrats, both politicians and voters, fail to accept things have changed, and they need to have a different mind set. They can no longer treat the gop as 'my friends across the isle' or even 'people with whom I disagree'. They have to accept the gop are the enemy and will use any tactic to win, and they need to respond accordingly, because the gop has long ago accepted that change.

So If chaining themselves to their desk is the only way to fight back, they should chain themselves t o their desks. If that means wearing a helmet to bed, they wear a helmet to bed. Anything less is abandoning their duty.

/rant

Sorry if that's came iff as angry. It's still early for me and I haven't harm my coffe yet.
They were at a 9/11 ceremony. This isn't a dereliction of duty, they were literally performing public service duties.

I will continue to blame Republicans for abusing power and taking advantage of 9/11 to do so than blame Democrats for not going to bed with helmets on.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
They were at a 9/11 ceremony. This isn't a dereliction of duty, they were literally performing public service duties.

I will continue to blame Republicans for abusing power and taking advantage of 9/11 to do so than blame Democrats for not going to bed with helmets on.

Yeah its fucking bullshit

Do we even have enough dems with the demeanor to engage in this level of political warfare

There has to be a better way

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
And people tell me that I should move to North Carolina. Fuck their state government, at least mine has finally gone DDD despite all of our problems.

It would be nice to avoid the winters though.

Edit- also watching that video made my blood boil. Dude would never have done that to a guy making the same statement, but to walk over and turn off her mic while she's talking, fuck that. If that had been me, I probably would have grabbed his tie and taken a swing at him. Who the hell do you think you are turning off my mic you scumbag.

gah- I'm full of rage today.

WarioFan63

Oct 25, 2017
IL
I know it's Axios, but here some names for National Security Advisor have been floated around

• Major General Ricky Waddell, former Deputy NSA and assistant to JSC Chair Joseph Dunford
  • Stephen Biegun, US Special Representative to North Korea, former Bush NSC exec secetary under Condi Rice, hired by McCain campaign to literally tutor Palin on foreign policy (Game Change book and movie goes into this), staffed for Helms and Frist, did some lobbying work for Ford
  • Brian Hook, US Special Representative for Iran (appointed after Trump ripped up JCPOA), Assistant Secretary of State for International Organization Affairs for Bush admin
  • Keith Kellogg, Pence's National Security Advisor and was acting NSA when Flynn got shitcanned

He'll probably pick Kellogg thinking he's the cereal man.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Nicely caffeinated now so me try to respond.

Your right that remembering a national tragedy is A part of their job, but so too is protecting their voters. And it's a shame that they have to choose between the two but clearly they do.

To go back to my war analogy, a person may have familial duties to be home for the holidays or if they have children parental duties to there for their first grade pla, but if they signed up to fight a war we expect them to sacrifice those duties to hold to a higher obligation. It's a great thing when they're able to be home for the holidays or for their child's play but we except that's not always possible. Winning is the highest priority .

The Republicans won't face blowback from their voters for pulling this shit on 911 because they except they are in a war and such sacrifices have to be made. Democrats do not.

Yeah its fucking bullshit

Do we even have enough dems with the demeanor to engage in this level of political warfare

There has to be a better way

No we don't. Which is basically the problem.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
If they didn't go the 9/11 thing they would have been harassed about not going by the GOP (even if they also didn't go)

The Democrats were put in a hard spot by just how brazenly corrupt the NC GOP is.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this is gonna be a fun dumb argument from conservatives piggybacking on dumb union behavior - https://www.wsj.com/articles/big-labors-minimum-wage-remorse-11568157570

a) Minimum Wage increases only accelerates the transition to increase kiosk automation due to the changed calculus, they don't inherently cause it. The swapover is inevitable due to the cost savings and the WSJ board's argument here is nonsense
b) The AFL/CIO proposal of "Lets regulate away the self-checkout in order to keep the the robots from taking our jerbs" is also a completely ridiculous regulatory capture attempt and hopefully this fails hard so that this is the last time we have to hear about something like this.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
If they didn't go the 9/11 thing they would have been harassed about not going by the GOP (even if they also didn't go)

The Democrats were put in a hard spot by just how brazenly corrupt the NC GOP is.
It's not even that they were put in a hard spot; they weren't presented with a choice of go to the ceremony or stay in the chamber to vote on Cooper's veto. There was no choice to make because there was no vote scheduled in the first place.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So this is gonna be a fun dumb argument from conservatives piggybacking on dumb union behavior - https://www.wsj.com/articles/big-labors-minimum-wage-remorse-11568157570

a) Minimum Wage increases only accelerates the transition to increase kiosk automation due to the changed calculus, they don't inherently cause it. The swapover is inevitable due to the cost savings and the WSJ board's argument here is nonsense
b) The AFL/CIO proposal of "Lets regulate away the self-checkout in order to keep the the robots from taking our jerbs" is also a completely ridiculous regulatory capture attempt and hopefully this fails hard so that this is the last time we have to hear about something like this.

im cool with humans no longer being required to do shitty and mundane work but we need to have UBI then

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
He will moon at the candidates, moderators, and the audience causing ABC to be fined by the FCC

Apparantly, going to a memorial is letting the terrorists win according to a GOP state rep also he doubles down in the comments

And then they'll turn around and rail on New York and all the "coastal elites."

Fucking miserable bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.