US PoliEra 2019 |OT7| "May God Ruin Him"

plagiarize

To its ports I have been
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If Trump ends up in jail (and hopefully he does) there's no plausible scenario where it happens before he is removed from office by election, or finishes serving an unlikely second term.

So keep that in mind. The state of NY aren't trying to remove him from office, they're trying to prove him guilty of any crimes he has committed.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's not true -- they didn't like the nature of the attack, but it still hurts Biden and it will continue to be a topic for him because he can't help but make dumb gaffes and offer rambling nonsensical word salad answers like in the debate. So castro will take the "hit" for it but biden still gets undermined. it did work for harris as well, she just couldn't leverage it like a good campaign would.
I don't know how you could argue that it worked for Harris, as her polling literally dropped by 50% in the first round of polling after that debate.

And for as much as people claim that Biden's gaffes have hurt him- Here he is, yet again, with a ten point lead over the second place candidate. If more polls show results like these, he basically has had no significant movement since the beginning of him campaign.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea what Steyer is trying to accomplish other than appeasing his ego.
Often for people like him that’s primarily what they are seeking to do.
I disagree. He would take a hard-line approach to use executive orders to further his agenda, and particularly against corporations who abuse the system for greed and profit. Call me crazy, but many people would be honored to work in a Sanders administration.
Governing by executive order is a terrible approach because the next President can just come in and get rid of those orders (what Trump did to Obama).

The goal needs to be passing legislation.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Often people like him that’s primarily what they are seeking to do.

Governing by executive order is a terrible approach because the next President can just come in and get rid of those orders (what Trump did to Obama).

The goal needs to be passing legislation.
That can never be an achievable goal without removing the filibuster, so it's basically the only tool through which any US President can enact... Anything. Unless you're lucky enough to have a super majority, and that's not going to happen again for a long, long time.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I don't know how you could argue that it worked for Harris, as her polling literally dropped by 50% in the first round of polling after that debate.

And for as much as people claim that Biden's gaffes have hurt him- Here he is, yet again, with a ten point lead over the second place candidate. If more polls show results like these, he basically has had no significant movement since the beginning of him campaign.
Because that's not what happened?

She just couldn't capitalize on it and ended up falling afterward.

Meanwhile we've seen in recent polls that Biden's electability argument is starting to be undermined... the certainty of him beating Trump is his main appeal and that is dropping with voters, whereas Warren's is rising.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
That can never be an achievable goal without removing the filibuster, so it's basically the only tool through which any US President can enact... Anything. Unless you're lucky enough to have a super majority, and that's not going to happen again for a long, long time.
Indeed, which is why the filibuster needs to go. That Bernie refuses to support that is maddening.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, which is why the filibuster needs to go. That Bernie refuses to support that is maddening.
And then he says something even more head-scratching: He's going to pass everything via budgetary reconciliation... Which is, as I understand it, impossible as in order to pass anything through reconciliation it has to lower the budget over 10 year period. Clearly, none of his policy ideas will lower the budget.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because that's not what happened?

She just couldn't capitalize on it and ended up falling afterward.

Meanwhile we've seen in recent polls that Biden's electability argument is starting to be undermined... the certainty of him beating Trump is his main appeal and that is dropping with voters, whereas Warren's is rising.
I'm not referring to the first debate- I'm referring to the second debate, where she went in particularly hard:

She dropped *12 points* from her high-point in June. Directly after the second debate.