• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
So I decided to watch election night 2018 coverage last night and it really fucked me up how terrible the narrative was.

First, everyone is giving Trump credit for seemingly doing something amazing by winning senate seats in Missouri, North Dakota, and Indiana. Ya, you're a Republican. Congrats. The narrative for the night is pretty much that Trump really did win, which is weird!

Second, the House control is seen as almost an after thought. Which is odd -- I think a lot of this is because Florida came first and was the best Republican state of the night, but still. Only Nate Silver is the one trying to recorrect the narrative that this a big deal.

Third, so many of these pundits don't understand how the vote comes in. You saw this in Arizona and California. This is super dangerous. These people cannot explain to viewers how voting works in AZ and CA, and thus viewers are probably more open to thinking fraud. It's like they're living in 2002, perpetually.

Fourth... what value do Donna Brazille and Chris Christie bring to your network? Or Abby Huntsman? OR Meghan McCain?

yeah it was weird, on election night everyone was shitting their pants saying Trump was unstoppable. I don't think people expected the Republicans to have a net gain in the Senate.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Seriously, the majority of people over 75 do not have the mental faculties they once did.
I don't understand why were asking these people so obviously past their intellectual prime to have the #1 position in the country.
It would be like having someone who was once a star athlete but then asking them to be a quarterback for the NFL at 75.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Like again he messed up one word. He was reading off a TelePrompTer and just circled back a bit. Claiming senility as the only explanation is kinda a reach.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
This week was an exceptional shitshow by even Trump standards. And, yeah, I know I say that a lot, but even by the standards of saying it was an exceptional shitshow, it was an exceptional shitshow.
It would be like having someone who was once a star athlete but then asking them to be a quarterback for the NFL at 75.
My parents are both approaching 70 and the difference vs even 5 years ago is obvious. I've learned that it's inevitable. But hey, at least Biden doesn't have CTE, so it could be worse. Well, unless he played football at some point. I have higher expectations from my potential nominee than "maybe goes a day or two without a botch from the teleprompter."

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I'm just dreading a scenario where the country is sitting watching a debate between two rambling, incoherent ancient white dudes arguing over who is more "moderate-conservative"

Oct 25, 2017
yeah it was weird, on election night everyone was shitting their pants saying Trump was unstoppable. I don't think people expected the Republicans to have a net gain in the Senate.

Nelson botching the senatorial race in FL and the Panhandle racists overwhelming Gillum at the start of the night set a downer tone for the whole thing, I think.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Lost in the general sadness of the Amazon burning recently is the record burns in Siberia this year. It's true that if any 1 place on earth burning down being bad is the Amazon, land around the arctic circle is a solid number 2. It doesn't convert much CO2 but it holds gigatons of methane it soaked up millions of years ago. If a Republican asks you about this, do the basic math and tell them it releases millions of cow farts per square mile. This might get them to care more than when California burns.

The losses in FL last November sucked sooooo bad because almost everything went well, or at least as expected.
Don't forget Biden will challenge him to pushups on stage.
I said this in 2016, but I'd have paid good money to watch a Biden v Trump boxing match as the VP suggested, no sarcasm. Since I'm one of those pesky Poors, you know I'm series when I talk about spending money on a PPV.

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, the majority of people over 75 do not have the mental faculties they once did.
I don't understand why were asking these people so obviously past their intellectual prime to have the #1 position in the country.

I think it's the opposite actually. Due to medical advances our elected leaders have been getting older and older. It's just there's still limits to what medical science can do and some people just need to hang the gloves up.

As for this Biden gaffe, I'm with Adam. And I'm not even a Biden supporter (I'm a Kamala-stan atm), this seems just like a teleprompter flub. Nothing more, nothing less. And you can't take the teleprompter flub and say, "well it's part of a bigger pattern!". This is part of nothing, it's just reading the teleprompter wrong. Young and old, sane and insane politicians do it. This is a silly "gotcha" moment that's just another bad creation of Twitter.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Well he flubs when he's on a teleprompter and he semi-stream of consciousness rambles when he's off a teleprompter.

Ban old people.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I think it's the opposite actually. Due to medical advances our elected leaders have been getting older and older. It's just there's still limits to what medical science can do and some people just need to hang the gloves up.
I agree. There's a degree with the mind decays in ways we both can and cannot quantify that we don't understand. Our ability to keep bodies alive exceeds our ability to keep healthy minds at this point. There'll be a point where this balances out, but we're more likely to figure out intergalactic travel befoere we can truly reverse stuff like Alzheimer's. Not without gigantic dystopian farms of fetuses to harvest stem cells from, at least.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
This is a battle for the soul of women won't know this but god forbid Barack was assassinated like RFK when I saw two men kissing in Wilmington during the Biden-Obama Administration which is why I told the Parkland kids I was for gay marriage to Margaret Thatcher.

C'mon, man. You know me. I'm Joe. I'll always be Joe30330.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Joe is going from bad to legit concerning

Also i will never forget the brief moment of despair in 2018 when the 538 estimate of dems winning the house dropped like a fucking sack of potatoes

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Also i will never forget the brief moment of despair in 2018 when the 538 estimate of dems winning the house dropped like a fucking sack of potatoes

Biden really needs to quit or not be the nominee and right now our best hope is that someone else wins.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Biden is old and fumbly but it's really not that easy to read from a teleprompter and he missed a word. Even getting decades mixed up doesn't really make me that nervous. What does scare me is the like "go to my website 3 0 3 0 303030" thing. That's clearly something that is generational and a real sign of his age. Young people would never make that mistake.

The poll that was interesting to me yesterday was that Warren has better #s among independents. What? No one likes Teacher Lady. Need to see more.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Biden is old and fumbly but it's really not that easy to read from a teleprompter and he missed a word. Even getting decades mixed up doesn't really make me that nervous. What does scare me is the like "go to my website 3 0 3 0 303030" thing. That's clearly something that is generational and a real sign of his age. Young people would never make that mistake.

The poll that was interesting to me yesterday was that Warren has better #s among independents. What? No one likes Teacher Lady. Need to see more.

Warren has a lot of time to keep pulling ahead

And she is indeed my favorite candidate of them all though I would truly be happy with any of them.... even fucking Biden if he can get a solid running mate and support staff (which he desperately needs)

But hell Warren being number 1 would be the best case scenario in my eyes

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
So, Climate Daddy's Evergreen Economy was only $9 trillion in public-private investment, 100% carbon-neutral energy by 2030 and renewables by 2035 for energy production, 100% green new vehicles by 2030, and 8 million clean energy jobs.... instead of $16 trillion in all-public investment, 100% renewables in production and transportation by 2030 and 20 million clean energy jobs.

Clearly he didn't care about climate change enough.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Politico:

>

Brian Beutler @brianbeutler

This is a story about a Nazi manifesto that has captured the imaginations of current and former White House officials, told like that's some kind of amusing eccentricity. https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2019/08/23/alt-right-book-trump-1472413?__twitter_impression=true …

Seriously, blending "Nietzschean philosophy with critiques of contemporary Western society, denigrating homosexuality, Judiasm, Islam, feminism," fixating on "population genetics," and an "affinity for Slavic and northern European cultures" is just Nazism. https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1164886389239894017?s=19 …

9:39 AM - Aug 23, 2019

Will Stancil@whstancil

Leave it to Politico to find the president's advisors sharing a modern-day Mein Kampf and compare it to... liberals liking The West Wing???

Somehow the political media has moved directly from "don't be hyperbolic and compare your political opponents to Nazis" straight to "Check out this new anti-Jewish, pro-eugenics tract that's all the rage in the White House" without acknowledging, yep, the White House may be Nazis

9:15 AM - Aug 23, 2019

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
No big deal that people have lost a ton of money as long as he hasn't tanked the market back to 2017 levels? *facepalm*

Next he'll say it's ok because the market is higher than when Carter was in office.....

This one legit surprised me.

I don't give him credit for knowing much, but I assumed he at least knew the stock market was in general an upward slope. Either he's even stupider than I thought, or even more brazen.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
After encountering the book's intentional spelling and grammar mistakes, Anton gave up on it until former White House speechwriter Darren Beattie urged him to read it in its entirety. Beattie was fired from Trump's White House last year after it was revealed he spoke at a 2016 conference attended by Peter Brimelow, whom the Southern Poverty Law Center describes as a white nationalist. Beattie, who denounced the firing as guilt-by-association, now works as a speechwriter for Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida, a close ally of Trump's in the House.

I admire Gaetz ability to somehow find his way into every fucked up Trump story.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Has Trump picked a fight with the old lady in the OP yet?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Honestly? That's the closest I've ever come to knowing what PTSD must be like. Because logically I knew what was happening and there wasn't reason to panic... But emotionally it fucked me up so much I didn't feel good about the results for over a day.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
GOP Rep running in IA-01:

Ashley Hinson@hinsonashley

Free speech on college campuses is essential to the free exchange of ideas and our democracy. However, the comments and behavior from this Iowa professor in Cedar Rapids are inexcusable. Advocating for Antifa? Really? #IA01 https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Kirkwood-professor-I-affirm-that-I-am-antifa-557897151.html …

3:17 PM - Aug 23, 2019

She's a Moderate Darling in a Romney (very narrowly)/Clinton suburban state house seat, which she's handing to us on a silver platter. And if she continues this nonsense, Finkenauer will be able to handle her fairly easily.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
My god, this fucking moron!

801917.jpg

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is an "emergency" when it's retaliatory tariffs to your tariffs.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
The Art of the Deal

1: Cause a crisis
2: Claim to fix crisis but make it worse instead
3: Run away and declare victory

Trade wars are easy to win:

Jim Acosta

@Acosta

Spokesperson for China's Commerce Ministry: "China strongly urges the US not to misjudge the situation or underestimate the determination of the Chinese people, and to immediately stop its wrongdoing... Otherwise the US will have to bear all the consequences it has caused."

The market is going to shit the bed on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.