• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

lol imagine being the guy who co-authored the GND and fucking Kennedy is perceived, wrongly, as far more liberal than you.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I still think this Markey nonsense is entertaning.

I'd be embarrassed if I was him. Essentially, people coming out to say "please don't run, he will likely lose to you if you run" trying to defend me.

LMAO. Must be the Virginia dignity in me, but I'd just retire.
The only reason he would lose is because his opponent is a fucking Kennedy. It's 100% based on name recognition and family dynasties....the things that are supposedly so horrible. Having to run against a Kennedy in a Democratic primary is a rock and a hard place situation.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, people see the name "Kennedy" and think "liberal."

Markey's getting a fucking raw deal, never mind a Green New one.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Warren was basically apolitical. I think the typical GOP housewife is diet racist and hates poors.
We have a sizable OT for people claiming the media is against Sanders. It plays REALLY well to the people who already support him but turns everyone else the hell off.
That thread is kind of hilarious, tbh. I don't really know why it's still open when it just periodically gets bumped to bitch about the dumb WaPo fact checker.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk saying that you would vote for Ford over Carter in 1976 is similar to the talking point some lefties used in 2016 about how we should prefer Trump winning over Clinton because it would lead to the destruction of the Republican Party.

you don't vote based on some hypothetical chain reaction. the republicans were still shit in the 70s

but I guess we're relitigating the 1976 election now lmao
It's not an accellerationist POV, it's that Carter really was that bad as a President. He took a golden opportunity and completely squandered it.
Sanders is polling well in the first three states.

I don't see Sanders collapsing if this is what you are hoping for.
Of course you don't. And it wasn't subtweeting you with the post.
We knew she'd be this way.
Yeah, this is one of those freebies you take to be "maverick-y".

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the history of wealth taxes implemented by other nations and corresponding failures is probably what's going to doom its chances.

We need a candidate who's somewhat honest about the need for a complete tax reform that may not be popular but is realistic in what actually needs to be done.
Yeah, France's experience suggests that this is best accomplished through a net of other taxes that accomplish roughly the same thing.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
of course manchin uses the dumbest argument possible "just wait your turn" yeah I'm sure that will get him to ditch this race

and it would be total malpractice on AOC's part if she doesn't endorse MArkey

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

New: Administration officials are discussing the possibility of replacing Bolton with Pompeo, a Sr admin official & source familiar tell us. Under this scenario, the country's top diplomat would absorb the national security adviser role and do both jobs —>

Just one day after President Donald Trump dismissed national security adviser John Bolton, administration officials are discussing the possibility of replacing Bolton with his chief rival, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Under this scenario, the country's top diplomat would absorb the national security adviser role and do both jobs, according to a senior administration official and a source familiar with the possibilities.

That would make Pompeo the second person in history to have both jobs at the same time. The first, Henry Kissinger, was already President Richard Nixon's national security adviser when he was appointed secretary of state in 1973, and filled both roles for two years.

It's unclear how seriously Trump is considering this possibility, and a source familiar with the process says that Pompeo has given the President a list of other names to consider. On Wednesday, when asked about his top picks to replace Bolton, the President said, "I have five people that want it very much... Five people that I consider very highly qualified, good people."

Last night, attending a Washington charity ball with his wife, Pompeo laughed with friends about Bolton being fired. The two were often at odds with each other and had even stopped talking to each other outside formal meetings. Pompeo was jovial and his mentality was "what a day, what a life, what a job," explained a source who was at the event.

For now, Pompeo will remain the President's primary foreign policy adviser, explained another source close to the White House.

"He is going to act as national security adviser at least in the near term. Trump is happy with that," the person said.

An administration official cautions that "the Kissinger model" could be dangerous for Pompeo, especially given his dominant position within the administration. With a dual role, Pompeo risks becoming too powerful for Trump's taste, the source said.

If Trump opts to keep the position as a stand-alone role, nearly a dozen potential Bolton successors are being floated.

A senior administration official and source with knowledge of the matter told CNN on Wednesday that as of now, Brian Hook, the US special representative for Iran and senior policy adviser to Pompeo at the State Department and Steve Biegun, the special envoy to North Korea, have emerged as top contenders.

While sources have cautioned that Trump could always change his mind and pick a candidate who is not currently being discussed, Hook or Biegun would be a marked departure from Bolton.

Unlike Bolton, who was criticized by Trump on Wednesday for his positions on several foreign policy issues, including Iran and North Korea, Hook and Biegun are unlikely to challenge the President's desire for diplomatic deal-making, a quality that appears to be a prerequisite for the national security adviser post.

Some officials said this week that Bolton's acrimonious departure was a sign that the role he occupied could be diminished going forward. Much like Trump acts as his own communications director and chief of staff — despite having actual staff members in those roles — he is likely to look warily on another national security adviser who acts with as much leeway as Bolton did.

Eager to rack up wins ahead of next year's reelection battle, Trump will also weigh a new adviser's political savvy, particularly as he looks to fulfill campaign promises like withdrawing troops from Afghanistan and securing diplomatic deals.

The problem, officials and analysts say, is that like with most elements of his agenda, Trump's views on foreign policy are ever-changing. When Bolton entered his post 17 months ago, Trump was agitating to withdraw from the nuclear deal with Iran, frustrated with the coterie of advisers who were urging him to remain in the accord.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just hilariously sad at this point.

Who won't have two jobs at this white house at this point?

OP
OP
Ogodei

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

Pelosi and Hoyer support the bill.

Get the Senate and we could get it done. If it has that broad support among Dems then it can be done (especially since the Senators will all have a very strong incentive to bring on a guaranteed 2 new Dem Senators. Vulnerable ones immediately become that much less vulnerable).

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get the Senate and we could get it done. If it has that broad support among Dems then it can be done (especially since the Senators will all have a very strong incentive to bring on a guaranteed 2 new Dem Senators. Vulnerable ones immediately become that much less vulnerable).
This and PR need to happen within the first few weeks.

WarioFan63

Oct 25, 2017
IL
I used to think Bush 43 won based on name recognition alone. Now granted I was 12 and had very little understanding of politics, but was there any truth to that?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

<3 everyone except Sinema. But I can't hate her because she has the best style in the Senate.

lol imagine being the guy who co-authored the GND and fucking Kennedy is perceived, wrongly, as far more liberal than you.

WHY ARE PEOPLE SO ILL-INFORMED

I used to think Bush 43 won based on name recognition alone. Now granted I was 12 and had very little understanding of politics, but was there any truth to that?
It was close enough that it could have been a small factor.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
More stupid ideas from TX GOP, hey let's abolish the city of Austin because we don't like how they vote!

Texas Republican state representative: Let's abolish local control over a heavily Democratic & Latino city because we don't like how they vote. Austin is already chopped up among 6 congressional districts so that white Republicans like Cain can dominate its federal representation

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
It'd be so crazy if you retired without ever even voting.
I voted in the second season of American Idol when my older brothers friend was in it.

The only reason he would lose is because his opponent is a fucking Kennedy. It's 100% based on name recognition and family dynasties....the things that are supposedly so horrible. Having to run against a Kennedy in a Democratic primary is a rock and a hard place situation.
Given the poll just posted above, it could also just be because he's as dry as burnt toast. If he is an apparent progressive firebrand of an incumbent and a poll thinks your competitor is overwhelmingly more liberal and a better fighter for the party...come on, man.

OP
OP
Ogodei

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
More stupid ideas from TX GOP, hey let's abolish the city of Austin because we don't like how they vote!

The tension in Texas will be like North Carolina. There you've already seen local ordinances overturned by the state but you'll see that fight get vicious, especially as Dems begin to take a good run at things. Maybe they could pass an ordinance where every incorporated city over 300,000 or so is administered by legislature-appointed stooges.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The thing with Pompeo doing both jobs is that he's basically been doing it already. Bolton's input was mostly ignored or marginalized by Trump, while Pompeo always had his hear. So that status quo doesn't change if Pompeo is also appointed NatSec Advisor.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The thing with Pompeo doing both jobs is that he's basically been doing it already. Bolton's input was mostly ignored or marginalized by Trump, while Pompeo always had his hear. So that status quo doesn't change if Pompeo is also appointed NatSec Advisor.
Also, important note is that it possibly keeps Pompeo from thinking of running in the KS Senate race. I would like Kobach to at the very least having a fighting chance in that primary, thank you very much. :p

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Warren's early state polling outside of the CBS YouGov polls actually doesn't look as good as her national trend. I find Emerson's IVR and sample frame weird, so don't know how much stock to put in their NH poll.

I think her national movement has been real and substantial. But the four early contests aren't that strong for her right now.

NH and Nevada seem to be stronger for Sanders.
Iowa seems to be all over the place
SC is Biden's to lose.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My God NC GOP are the slimiest slimeballs in the union. How an utterly depraved, grossly craven band of sick shits to pull something off like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Warren's early state polling outside of the CBS YouGov polls actually doesn't look as good as her national trend. I find Emerson's IVR and sample frame weird, so don't know how much stock to put in their NH poll.

I think her national movement has been real and substantial. But the four early contests aren't that strong for her right now.

NH and Nevada seem to be stronger for Sanders.
Iowa seems to be all over the place
SC is Biden's to lose.

So what exactly needs to change here for those to improve for her?

Status
Not open for further replies.