• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Ogodei

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The federal government wouldn't have the authority to manage local homeless populations. Vagrancy is not a federal crime. Vagrancy could not *be* a federal crime due to the 10th Amendment. Nor are any of the other typical laws used to roust the homeless federal laws. The only things I could think of would be sweeping ICE through or sweeping the DEA through (much more likely to catch something in a given homeless settlement with that), but even that wouldn't have the authority to do more than arrest people breaking federal laws.

What executive order would let him do this? I get the admin loves to flout laws but this would be inventing a whole arm of federal law enforcement whole-cloth.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warren's early state polling outside of the CBS YouGov polls actually doesn't look as good as her national trend. I find Emerson's IVR and sample frame weird, so don't know how much stock to put in their NH poll.

I think her national movement has been real and substantial. But the four early contests aren't that strong for her right now.

NH and Nevada seem to be stronger for Sanders.
Iowa seems to be all over the place
SC is Biden's to lose.
Stop shitting on our dreams dammit!

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The federal government wouldn't have the authority to manage local homeless populations. Vagrancy is not a federal crime. Vagrancy could not *be* a federal crime due to the 10th Amendment. Nor are any of the other typical laws used to roust the homeless federal laws. The only things I could think of would be sweeping ICE through or sweeping the DEA through (much more likely to catch something in a given homeless settlement with that), but even that wouldn't have the authority to do more than arrest people breaking federal laws.

What executive order would let him do this? I get the admin loves to flout laws but this would be inventing a whole arm of federal law enforcement whole-cloth.
The problem is Trump doesn't care about the laws. He will do it anyway via EO and by the time civil groups file lawsuit, he will have caused enough damage. Then if the case gets assigned to a dipshit judge who will side with Trump, a counter lawsuit will follow and some sane judge will strike it down. Then they hope it goes to Supreme Court where Trump's Supreme Court justices will side with him and Roberts will side with Democrats ending in 5-4 ruling.

Kinda dramatic but that's how cynically I feel about the state of politics today in US.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
This administration, and Republicans in general, would love to round up homeless minorities and ship them off somewhere. Or worse, I am sure.

RustyNails

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The real problem is that Democrats NEVER FUCKING LEARN that Republicans aren't their friends.

"They promised though!"
Honestly speaking though, if there's one commemoration you will expect Republicans to hold sacred beyond politics, it is 9/11. It checks off their neocon ass-tingle, speak in generalized terms about terrorists, and have good photo ops for their base. I don't fault Dems on this tbh.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
(Plus there's also the fact that, according to her anyway, the only Republican she's ever voted for in a presidential election is Ford in 1976, which like... come on.)

Man, you've gotta imagine that the Warren Campaign is gonna try and angle hard for a primary endorsement from Carter. How funny would that be. She voted for Ford, but Carter wants her anyway.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Im trying to figure out how in 2019 "Kennedy" has such a cachet with MA despite the sheer length of time that's passed since the 60s and how there's probably more GOP Kennedy's running around than Dem ones.

Cohen musta got bored in prison

His bosses musta allowed him to squeal more like it.

Remember: he gave up the farm on Individual-1 and his time working for him as fixer/bagman, but was apparently very tight-lipped to SDNY at the same time (which you aint supposed to do if you plea).

Im taking everything that isnt DONE but merely TALKED ABOUT as a way to convince the grunting rubes he's "doing something like a bigly winning man does" and scare the non-RW newsmedia, and generally throw shit in the fans.

It's falling apart, but all this is doing that trick to get us to not notice it's not just one bolt falling out, it's a succession.

But yah, there is somethings they're doing, like stealing from military families and blocking refugees, but there's a difference between "what they say" and "what they're doing".

edit: if im reading this right, LOLOLOLOLOL

"2. One tidbit that stuck out: Parscale is not allowing the RNC to share critical info about President Trump's standing with state parties and down ballot candidates because it might embarrass the president. This ends up hurting down ballot candidates."

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Honestly speaking though, if there's one commemoration you will expect Republicans to hold sacred beyond politics, it is 9/11. It checks off their neocon ass-tingle, speak in generalized terms about terrorists, and have good photo ops for their base. I don't fault Dems on this tbh.

This may separate the neocons from the Trumpers.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Actually, the only time Trump ever showed human decency was during the one GOP debate when Cruz tried to hit him on New York values or whatever, and Trump managed to turn it into a thing about 9/11. He's a total sack of shit with zero human empathy, but he managed to play decent in that one moment.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You've got to hand it to Joe Kennedy, he's got people completely gaga for him without knowing an absolute thing about him other than his face and his name.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
So what exactly needs to change here for those to improve for her?
I dunno. Maybe just keep on trucking.

I want to see Selzer lady put out another Iowa poll. It's probably her most likely early state win. The shitty caucus structure also means that when Booty and Harris are non viable their caucus goers can be shouted into joining the Warren section.

I think Biden's support is soft, but can rebound.
I think Bernie's support is hard, but capped.

So right now I would still think it will be Biden or Warren.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, the only time Trump ever showed human decency was during the one GOP debate when Cruz tried to hit him on New York values or whatever, and Trump managed to turn it into a thing about 9/11. He's a total sack of shit with zero human empathy, but he managed to play decent in that one moment.

There was also that time he seemed like the most compassionate person on the stage because Rubio and Cruz were attacking him for saying he wouldn't let people die on the street.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
"2. One tidbit that stuck out: Parscale is not allowing the RNC to share critical info about President Trump's standing with state parties and down ballot candidates because it might embarrass the president. This ends up hurting down ballot candidates."
"Please proceed, Mr. president."

They don't report:

"McConnell dodges questions about XYZ yet again"
Well, they do on twitter.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Prefacing this with the fact that he is basically the worst person on the planet and has almost zero redeeming qualities, but I think it is important in this context that Trump is a New Yorker, even if the city has nothing but disdain for him. The Republican hypocrisy in which they claim 9/11 while shitting on New Yorkers left and right for being liberal, queer, etc. is utterly disgusting and probably the single most craven thing about them, and I'm glad in that moment Trump called it out for what it was.

So like, fuck Trump, but if there was .00001% good in him, it came out there.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What are chances looking like in 2020 for a Blue Wave part 2?
As in huge House gains, significant governor wins, losses in the Senate? Currently it's looking like Democrats will hold the House and flip a few governorships (New Hampshire, Vermont seem like the easiest targets. Maybe West Virginia given how hated Justice is/how Manchin has considered running for governor?). Senate is currently a toss-up reliant on flipping every seat currently considered a toss-up/Lean D (Arizona, Colorado, Maine) while holding on to Doug Jones' also currently rated as a toss-up seat, assuming Democrats win the presidency and thus will have a 50/50 + Vice split. They're doing well in special elections in terms of performance when factoring in partisan leanings but it's way too early to say if we'll see another blue wave when the election is over a year away and no one knows who will be leading the ticket for the Democrats. At the very least another seat opened up in Georgia so there's another potential chance for a seat to flip (although it's likely that if one seat flips parties, both Senate seats in Georgia will do that instead of splitting it between the two major parties).

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I actually complete forgot about this and it was pretty awesome watching that smackdown at the time. As horrific as he was during the primary, he still seemed 10x more coherent than he does now.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
I'm never voting for Newsom in a presidential primary lmao

Biden or Warren are going lose next year's GE and then we'll be stuck with that fucking greasebag in 2024

Shame Jerry brown is somehow too old for this year's primary, he wouldbe been a better alternative than Biden for the people who want a moderate, steady hand.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I'm never voting for Newsom in a presidential primary lmao

Biden or Warren are going lose next year's GE and then we'll be stuck with that fucking greasebag in 2024

Shame Jerry brown is somehow too old for this year's primary, he wouldbe been a better alternative than Biden for the people who want a moderate, steady hand.
Cuomo vs Newsom 2024: a future to believe in

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
that fucking greasebag

Y81LVsAj7RwF9ZSdysGME2G6Mlo=.gif

It's fine, I'm Italian, I can post such gifs!

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prefacing this with the fact that he is basically the worst person on the planet and has almost zero redeeming qualities, but I think it is important in this context that Trump is a New Yorker, even if the city has nothing but disdain for him. The Republican hypocrisy in which they claim 9/11 while shitting on New Yorkers left and right for being liberal, queer, etc. is utterly disgusting and probably the single most craven thing about them, and I'm glad in that moment Trump called it out for what it was.

So like, fuck Trump, but if there was .00001% good in him, it came out there.

Call me cynical, but I wouldn't even give him that .00001% of good. He used 9/11 and his status as a New Yorker as a tool for political points in that moment, nothing more. He's used 9/11 before to puff up his ego (lying about being a first responder or clearing rubble, bragging about his building being the tallest again, lying about donations) or just to make himself the center of attention (claiming he could see bodies falling from the towers from his apartment four miles away...).

Same shit, different day, no matter the significance. He lies about everything to make himself important. At best it was a broken clock moment.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The Israeli response is as hilarious as you'd expect.

An Israeli Embassy spokesperson, Elad Strohmayer, denied that Israel placed the devices and said: "These allegations are absolute nonsense. Israel doesn't conduct espionage operations in the United States, period."

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The real problem is that Democrats NEVER FUCKING LEARN that Republicans aren't their friends.

"They promised though!"
Is this a case of "not learning" or being complicit in the act of pretending not to learn and then feigning surprise once Lucy pulls the football away from them for the umpteenth time? Because I'm more inclined to believe that it's the latter. I can only swallow so much purported naïveté before I question whether this is simply them acting out their intended role in a mutually beneficial dance.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, what's the other option the NC Dems are supposed to do? Sleep in the chamber? The vote wasn't on the schedule.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
Plan O'Clock!

My plan would immediately increase Social Security benefits by $200 a month—$2,400 a year—for every current and future Social Security beneficiary in America. This would immediately lift around 4.9 million seniors out of poverty and cut the senior poverty rate by nearly 70%.

• Increases Social Security benefits immediately by $200 a month -- $2,400 a year -- for every current and future Social Security beneficiary in America.
  • Updates outdated rules to further increase benefits for lower-income families, women, people with disabilities, public-sector workers, and people of color.
  • Finances these changes and extends the solvency of Social Security by nearly two decades by asking the top 2% of families to contribute their fair share to the program.

An independent analysis of my plan from Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody's Analytics, finds that my plan will accomplish all of this and:

• Immediately lift an estimated 4.9 million seniors out of poverty, cutting the senior poverty rate by 68%.
  • Produce a "much more progressive Social Security system" by raising contribution requirements only on very high earners and increasing average benefits by nearly 25% for those in the bottom half of the income distribution, as compared to less than 5% for people in the top 10% of the distribution.
  • Increase economic growth in the long term and reduce the deficit by more than $1 trillion over the next ten years.

This parts seems HUGE:

My plan ensures that workers who work for a lifetime at low wages do not retire into poverty.

In 1972, Congress enacted a Special Minimum Benefit for Social Security. The benefit was supposed to help people who had earned consistently low wages over many years of work. But it's become harder to qualify for the benefit, and the benefit amount has shrunk in value so it now helps hardly anyone. Today, only 0.6% of all Social Security beneficiaries receive the Special Minimum Benefit, and projections show that no new beneficiaries will receive it this year.

No one who spends 30 years working and contributing to Social Security should retire in poverty. That's why my plan restructures the Special Minimum Benefit so that more people are eligible for it and the benefits are a lot higher. Under my plan, any person who has done 30 years of Social Security-covered work will receive an annual benefit of at least 125% of the federal poverty line when they reach retirement age. That means a baseline of $1,301 a month in 2019 -- plus the $200-a-month across-the-board increase in my plan, for a total of $1,501 a month. That's more than $600-a-month more than what that worker would receive under current law.

My plan will give credit toward the Social Security average lifetime earnings calculation to people who provide 80 hours a month of unpaid care to a child under the age of 6, a dependent with a disability (including a veteran family member), or an elderly relative. For every month of caregiving that meets these requirements, the caregiver will be credited for Social Security purposes with a month of income equal to the monthly average of that year's median annual wage. People can receive an unlimited amount of caregiving credits and can claim these credits retroactively if they have done this kind of caregiving work in the last five years. By giving caregivers credits equal to the median wage that year, this credit will provide a particular boost in benefits to lower-income workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.