• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Really fucking annoyed at how Amy was given so much debate time for no fucking reason, attacked everyone's policies and never talked about her own, and she gets rewarded for it. And that Pete was a fucking asshole through the whole fucking debate and gets rewarded for that too. And how Biden was an enttitled, condescending dick to Warren at the end of the debate and there are even moderates on Twitter defending that too because "it's a debate so obviously Warren's going to be treated like shit, it's all her fault anyway, can't take the heat get out of the kitchen".

Moderates and the media have not learned a fucking thing from 2016. Nothing.

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Really fucking annoyed at how Amy was given so much debate time for no fucking reason, attacked everyone's policies and never talked about her own, and she gets rewarded for it. And that Pete was a fucking asshole through the whole fucking debate and gets rewarded for that too. And how Biden was an enttitled, condescending dick to Warren at the end of the debate and there are even moderates defending that too because "it's a debate so obviously you're going to treat a woman like shit, can't take the heat get out of the kitchen".

Moderates and the media have not learned a fucking thing from 2016. Nothing.

Yeah, it was ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see this posted the past three pages.

Bolton has to testify.

This seems like a bold strategy:
Sondland's explicit conditioning of a meeting between Zelenskiy and Trump prompted Bolton to direct then-Trump Russia adviser Fiona Hill to report the situation to White House lawyers. Although some details about the meeting had been previously disclosed, this account provides the most extensive chronology to date of the chain of events that led Bolton to call the shadow Ukraine policy aimed at advancing Trump's political interests "a drug deal," as NBC News has reported.

The account also appears to undercut Sondland's text message to a senior U.S. official in Ukraine on Sept. 9 that Trump "has been crystal clear no quid pro quo's (sic) of any kind" with the Ukrainian government. The fact that Hunter Biden had joined Burisma's board had been widely reported for years and discussed publicly by Trump personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani. But Sondland plans to tell Congress he was unaware of Hunter Biden's ties to the company at the time, a person with knowledge of his testimony says, an assertion that lawmakers are expected to treat with extreme skepticism.

So Sondland is going to admit to the quid pro quo but claim he personally had no knowledge that it was politically motivated?

How does this keep getting dumber

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished listening to one of the two transgender cases in front of SCOTUS and boy, it is not an easy one. Philosophically, of course Transgender people should received equal protection, but legally it's a difficult argument to make, partly because just discussing transgenderism correctly is difficult. The liberal justices were stumbling around a bit with their phrasing just trying to talk about it. Our society doesn't have a firm grasp on it yet.

Honestly, the closing segment gave the cleanest, simplest argument I've heard:
Code:
25 If Harris

1 Homes fired a man because he was a man that
2 would be sex discrimination. If it fired an
3 employee because he was insufficiently
4 masculine, that would clearly be sex
5 discrimination.
6 In this case, Harris Homes fired Aimee
7 Stephens because he thought she is a man who is
8 insufficiently masculine. That too must be sex
9 discrimination.

I mean, it's not that hard of a legal argument to make, but this isn't the legal argument that's most likely to be successful.

This kind of reminds me of when people were trying to sheohrn gay marriage into existing sex discrimination statutes. Since, after all, you're saying a man can't marry another man because he's a man, while a woman can, that's obviously sex discrimination. It's too clever by half, and there's a reason why the courts rejected that argument. Likewise, the current case facing the court isn't asking whether trans people should be allowed to be discriminated against in employment as a whole, it's only asking whether sex discrimination statutes should forbid it... and you don't have to be a card-carrying member of the federalist society to think that that argument is lacking. It's not something the people who originally passed those statutes had in mind, and while you can do some word algebra to gussy the argument up, in the end it's pretty clear that the locus of the discrimination isn't in that they dislike that someone is a man or a woman, but that they dislike that they're trans, full stop.

In the end, it's ludicrous that something like 26 states don't have an antidiscrimination statute for queer people of any type, and queer activists should dedicate themselves to trench work in statehouses rather than swinging for the fences with a dubious supreme court argument.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a bold strategy:

So Sondland is going to admit to the quid pro quo but claim he personally had no knowledge that it was politically motivated?

How does this keep getting dumber
Unless I've missed something, all the reporting about what he plans to testify is from before the leaks about what others have testified. He was trying to get ahead of it and set the record, but it seems pretty fucking hard for him to stick with that now. Maybe it's the best he's got, but then maybe it'd be better for him to just call it quits instead of playing a shit hand.

I was listening to the WaPo podcast today and got some details about him I hadn't heard before, and apparently Sondland was telling people he was aiming for Secretary of State and that handling things like Ukraine for Trump would help him get it. The more I hear, the more it sounds like he was fully committed to doing whatever dirty work Trump wanted. He also kept showing up at events and meetings that seemingly had nothing to do with his ambassadorship to the EU.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Honestly the most fascinating aspect to me is how much more willing everyone was to go after Warren compared to Biden the past few debates. There are myriad of reasons I can think of but I'd love to know why.

Edit: Speaking of women it's amazing that Pelosi is the only visible female politico in that room. Though Liz Cheney is there somewhere.
One of CNN's major headlines allllllllllll day was "hey look, Warren's the new front-runner, and you can tell by how everyone ganged up on her last night!" so this has to have been coordinated at a fairly high level. Edit: Out of fairness, that was like EVERYONE'S headline today, but it sure is convenient that CNN managed to preempt everyone on that via a debate they themselves hosted, huh?

And yeah I think Pelosi is the only woman in that entire room. Even Pence is absent. ...sorry, couldn't resist.

Good Hunter

Alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Guess she isn't as politically savvy as we thought....
Lol my respect for AOCs political acumen just went down a lot.
Those political instincts....are limited.
lol AOC not as good at the politics as I gave her credit for.
1*QTTYKluUkrqQRn1QYA8t8g.gif

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel that way and I don't appreciate you insinuating that I do feel that way.
I was insinuating that that point has been made in this very thread by people doing exactly that and it's hardly like you're saying they've been mansplaining.

And, really, you're complaining about very mild criticism.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Prior to the 2020 candidates I didn't really know much about tulsi gabbard.. so I am genuinelywondering:

How did Tulsi rise to prominence and actually get backers at such ayoung age despite beinga scientifically proven nutter butters candidate? (bad or sick? person)

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017

So I just read this.

You don't talk about this so that opponents (read, russia) can't get an exact reading on your capabilities and gets a harder time to calculate the deployments in other nations through proportionality. And of course for diplomatic deniability reasons, should Russia want to base nukes in Syria, say.

But what does Trump do? Well, something that would probably get a field agent arrested for treason. And for good reasons too.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
CNN spent the debate propping up moderate campaigns for some reason.

Klobacher was polling at 1-2% nationally and received more questions than some of the front-runners.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
CNN spent the debate propping up moderate campaigns for some reason.

Klobacher was polling at 1-2% nationally and received more questions than some of the front-runners.
They do this every time they host a debate. They keep expecting another moderate to appear and challenge Biden but tbh I don't think any of them have good enough campaigns to even come close to doing that.
Except for maybe Pete and that still remains to be seen.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
i would 100% take Marianne over Pete
Agreed. The way I see it the only candidates that can beat Trump are Bernie and Warren. If we can't have one of them, we might as well roll the dice with one of the zany ones and see what happens.
"Yeah, the fourth debate was pretty dull until Marianne performed an exorcism and banished Buttigieg via pressure points and rosewater. Booker did okay."

Oct 25, 2017
I know there's a lot of news to process in a given day, so it's great the discussion has turned in the direction it has. Really good stuff. We bad memes now hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.