• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Mr. Cummings, a true legend who did his work on this planet with grace and strength.

I can guarantee that he would want us all to rededicate ourselves to the challenges we all face, without fear or sorrow.

Rest In Power, Sir.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe they really sent this letter.

I can't believe the letter is real.

And yes, the fact that this trash was actually sent out just shows how hollowed out the White House, National Security Council, and State Department are. It's like an abandoned building with a wannabe King and few henchmen skulking about. There's no semblance of a functional government in there.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the letter is real.

And yes, the fact that this trash was actually sent out just shows how hollowed out the White House, National Security Council, and State Department are. It's like an abandoned building with a wannabe King and few henchmen skulking about. There's no semblance of a functional government in there.

Its a national embarrassment

How do you read that letter and still support having this man as president of our country

Add it to the pile

I want all his enablers stapled to the wall for this

Oct 27, 2017
Its a national embarrassment

How do you read that letter and still support having this man as president of our country

Add it to the pile

I want all his enablers stapled to the wall for this

These people are punk ass bitches who live vicariously through their troll king, because doing and saying the shit he does in public is assured to get their soft chins pushed out the back of their heads if said outside of Booger-Pickin' Hallow, WV

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Rep Cummings will be missed and is a great loss. The man was a politician who genuinely gave a shit about more than his own career and we never have enough of those.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Man I just woke up randomly early and saw the news. WTF?!?! I had no idea Cummings was even sick. What a loss. What a legend. He'll be super missed in this last year of this administration and will never get to see Trump leave office :(

RIP ;_;

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
68 is pretty young no matter what your job was

It absolutely isn't.

edit: let me elaborate further. The median life expectancy for African American men is 69. Cummings was 68. African Americans tend to have lower life expectancy across the board because of a lifetime of drastically unequal access to health care, and many other things.

Segregation was still legal until Cummings was 14. Let that sink in for a minute.

Both of my parents are about his age- give or take a couple of years and the decline in health and mental faculty is OBVIOUS by 70. It is not young at all.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely isn't.

edit: let me elaborate further. The median life expectancy for African American men is 69. Cummings was 68. African Americans tend to have lower life expectancy across the board because of a lifetime of drastically unequal access to health care, and many other things.

Segregation was still legal until Cummings was 14. Let that sink in for a minute.

Both of my parents are about his age- give or take a couple of years and the decline in health and mental faculty is OBVIOUS by 70. It is not young at all.
I in no way want to downplay the hideous costs that racial disparities in health have inflicted on black communities. There was a great episode of 1619 about it that I highly recommend.

But statistics show that a black man who's made it to age 65 has a life expectancy of 16.4 years (markedly lower than the other groups broken out here, as you can see). A lot more than he got, obviously.
Elijah Cummings died way too young. RIP.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
RIP. Will orange shitstain be allowed to attend the funeral? I can already see him making it about himself and talking shit about Cummings's district.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
RIP Cummings. Trump is probably giggling himself silly right now, hopefully he giggles himself to death.

Oct 27, 2017
Well this is sad news this morning. Waiting for the eventual "I win" tweet from the President.

Whoever becomes oversight chair isn't going to be as friendly to Meadows, I think.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Steven Dennis @StevenTDennis

Elijah Cummings to President Trump in a meeting in 2017:

"Very soon you and I will be dancing with the angels. The thing that you and I need to do is figure out what we can do — what present can we bring to generations unborn?" https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-pol-cummings-dies-20191017-bbwnrp72nndejatug3v7rj2zga-story.html …

The Cummings-Trump meeting was in connection with trying to do something on cutting prescription drug prices.

8:41 AM - Oct 17, 2019

philip lewis @Phil_Lewis_

"Isn't the place where they used to call us slaves? ... When I think about you being sworn in, now I see what I could have been if I had an opportunity."

Elijah Cummings on his father's tears while being sworn into Congress.

The entire 60 Minutes interview is worth watching, he talks about his life and his role as House Oversight and Reform Committee chairman: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elijah-cummings-the-2019-60-minutes-interview-2019-10-17/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7d&linkId=75462884 …

8:41 AM - Oct 17, 2019

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Staff tweet:

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

My warmest condolences to the family and many friends of Congressman Elijah Cummings. I got to see first hand the strength, passion and wisdom of this highly respected political leader. His work and voice on so many fronts will be very hard, if not impossible, to replace!

8:54 AM - Oct 17, 2019

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

A change in tone from this summer, when Trump said: "He does NOTHING for his very poor, very dangerous and very badly run district!" and said "Racist Elijah Cummings" had helped create a "mess" in Baltimore with "incompetent leadership." https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/looking-for-a-reason-to-attack-how-trump-seized-on-a-fox-news-broadcast-go-after-cummings/2019/07/29/7dd33f38-b21c-11e9-951e-de024209545d_story.html … https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrum

9:00 AM - Oct 17, 2019

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Staff tweet:

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

My warmest condolences to the family and many friends of Congressman Elijah Cummings. I got to see first hand the strength, passion and wisdom of this highly respected political leader. His work and voice on so many fronts will be very hard, if not impossible, to replace!

8:54 AM - Oct 17, 2019

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

A change in tone from this summer, when Trump said: "He does NOTHING for his very poor, very dangerous and very badly run district!" and said "Racist Elijah Cummings" had helped create a "mess" in Baltimore with "incompetent leadership." https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/looking-for-a-reason-to-attack-how-trump-seized-on-a-fox-news-broadcast-go-after-cummings/2019/07/29/7dd33f38-b21c-11e9-951e-de024209545d_story.html … https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrum

9:00 AM - Oct 17, 2019

Legit surprised he took this route considering he doesnt seem to have any handlers left to check his worst impulses

I suppose he gets brief moments of clarity here and there where he decides he may need to earn a few brownie points with the populance

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Legit surprised he took this route considering he doesnt seem to have any handlers left to check his worst impulses

I suppose he gets brief moments of clarity here and there where he decides he may need to earn a few brownie points with the populance
That's Dan Scavino writing it. Trump hasn't even seen that message.

Status
Not open for further replies.