• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
EGhlQ4PX0AEfr6v
Beaten. Lol

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Is SDNY under Barr's control? If so.... we will see how far this goes. I'm surprised they even arrested them.

Oct 25, 2017

But where will privileged white writers tell me that I, a black person, didn't do enough to stop Trump and push progressivism now?!

I liked Splinter on occasion but weirdly enough I found Deadspin's political work to be more compelling on average.

Yeah, Ratto and Burneko are much better at writing about politics than anyone on the Splinter staff.

Last edited:

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
can someone tldr me on how breaking up big tech would work

Typically it's done by function or region.

Suffice to say it's very complicated to do the more a company is interconnected, and i'm not 100% on board with Warren breaking them up.
But i'm 100% on board with tech regulation, it's been virtually unregulated for far too long.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
See bell.

See Microsoft

Yes, but those are not examples of internet companies.
Internet companies don't have well defined regions, their market is an entire country.

Google has perhaps the most separated delineated function, and that is their Mobile devices division (covering Android and Google Home).
Breaking up the search engine, or for example the core functionality of Facebook, for example, simply is not a workable solution.

Oct 26, 2017
I
Internet companies don't have well defined regions, their market is an entire country.

Google has perhaps the most separated delineated function, and that is Mobile division.
Breaking up the search engine, or for example the core functionality of Facebook, for example, simply is not a workable solution.
Isp's could and should be split into 200~ parts each.

Competition should be everywhere.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
I
Isp's could and should be split into 200~ parts each.

Competition should be everywhere.

ISPs, like most telecoms and utilities, are supposed to be regulated monopolies.
It's incredibly inefficient to have multiple power lines run to each home, for example.

Warren needs to run on breaking up Comcast. People would stan.

Strong argument for that, with much clearer cut points in business functions.

Oct 26, 2017
ISPs, like most telecoms and utilities, are supposed to be regulated monopolies.
It's incredibly inefficient to have multiple power lines run to each home, for example.

Strong argument for that, with much clearer cut points in business functions.
Power lines are a publ utilities.

Isp's are not.

So we make it into a public utility, and hand control over to USPS. Problems solved

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017

Google has perhaps the most separated delineated function, and that is their Mobile devices division (covering Android and Google Home).
Breaking up the search engine, or for example the core functionality of Facebo
ok, for example, simply is not a workable solution.

Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus were all separate companies before. How about Facebook marketplace? I'm not suggesting that's what they do but saying it's impossible sounds like making a conclusion first and then trying to find rationale to support it.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Power lines are a publ utilities.

Isp's are not.

So we make it into a public utility, and hand control over to USPS. Problems solved

Yeah, it's been a hybrid, not a pure utility.
But compared to pure utilities there is limited competition with DSL/Cable, and now in some markets, mobile internet options.

Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus were all separate companies before. How about Facebook marketplace? I'm not suggesting that's what they do but saying it's impossible sounds like making a conclusion first and then trying to find rationale to support it.

Those segments are not the core issue with Facebook.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Split apart Amazon cloud services from Amazon retailer and Amazon video streaming, for example. Split up the conglomerate aspects, because it gives any entity too much of an advantage on pushing in to other spaces. Keep power from spreading across disciplines/services.
ok that makes more sense

i tried to explain breaking up big tech to my mom before realizing that i dont even know what that would look like, and people that are "fans of the free market" are a bit less comfortable with the idea of "interfering" with the market

Oct 26, 2017
Split apart Amazon cloud services from Amazon retailer and Amazon video streaming, for example. Split up the conglomerate aspects, because it gives any entity too much of an advantage on pushing in to other spaces. Keep power from spreading across disciplines/services.
Yep, Amazon delivery services its own company also.

No production. marketplace , distribution ownerships

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's been a hybrid, not a pure utility.
But compared to pure utilities there is limited competition with DSL/Cable, and now in some markets, mobile internet options.

Those segments are not the core issue with Facebook.

It contributes to their advertising power and their bottom line revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.