• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Same. I cannot picture him attending a public event (i.e., not a safe space rally) where he'll certainly get booed and heckled and his Democratic challengers can confront him in-person. Not a chance.
Any President would be dumb to open themselves up like this. No campaign manager would ever suggest it or condone it, it's absolutely reckless with little upside and tremendous downside. It turns the event from being an opportunity for Dems to discuss their platform differences to them being able to unify and attack the President from all sides. Trump is so uniquely unqualified to speak on any topic that the idea of him getting hit from all sides, especially from some 2nd rate candidates who have NOTHING to lose, is madness. Yang, Beto, Castro, and others will see this as their best/only opportunity to ever speak truth to power and they'll be on full attack mode.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017

dahell2.png

...how? How does that show integrity...?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
tbh that reminds me of some prick GOP State Senator during the vote to legalize gay marriage in Minnesota who made a big deal about how he was still undecided, he was friends with his next-door neighbors (a gay couple) and had seen firsthand the love they had for each other, how he didn't know how he could still look them in the eye if he voted no and finished with something like "I guess we'll see where I stand when we reach the other side"

Fucker still voted no, rot in hell, asshole and I hope your gay friends never spoke to you again

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Robots right now are replacing jobs but as of now we have created enough different jobs to offset what robots have automated

The problem is with new tech innovation back in the day it might create a new job in addition to the old instead of just displacing and moving one

But I don't even think we'll be able to keep that up. Truck driving being likely the biggest looming automation threat right now and I have no idea what jobs those drivers will get. It's like the number 1 job in so many states. It would be like if we automated school teachers, where do they go

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's not clear how much leverage we have with the populace on the matter, but the term "McClellan Democrats" feels like succinct summary of their behavior.

the mcclellan democrats in the house leadership are afraid of overstepping despite having an almost total political advantage in the impeachment fight

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
Trump has talked a lot about "securing oil" in various contexts. I don't think he's trying to appeal to neocons (who are angry with him about a variety of foreign policy things that that doesn't solve anyway) - he's just thinking of things in his usual short-sighted/moronic way.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Bullock campaign is going absolutely nuts about notching 4% in Iowa in their fundraising emails this week.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Robots right now are replacing jobs but as of now we have created enough different jobs to offset what robots have automated

The problem is with new tech innovation back in the day it might create a new job in addition to the old instead of just displacing and moving one

But I don't even think we'll be able to keep that up. Truck driving being likely the biggest looming automation threat right now and I have no idea what jobs those drivers will get. It's like the number 1 job in so many states. It would be like if we automated school teachers, where do they go
I think those jobs are safer than we think right now. I can't imagine state regulators would want to allow completely autonomous trucks on the road with no driver any time soon.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's not clear how much leverage we have with the populace on the matter, but the term "McClellan Democrats" feels like succinct summary of their behavior.

I totally understand the frustration of a non-government employee thumbing his nose at the Legislative branch of the United States. The Nixon playbook is to seek to get favorable court rulings, right?

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Who's right on this?

Might also be why reports were the Warren went up to Yang after the debate in true nerd fashion and asked for his data.

There are things that are coming that will absolutely displace jobs, ie autonomous cars, manufacturing. Whether those jobs will show up some other place remains to be seen but I don't think we can rely on conventional wisdom since we've never seen billions of robots enter the workforce before. Who knows, maybe all the truck drivers will become asteroid miners

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019

I'm not sure I follow how McClellan Democrats is being applied here. I'm familiar with the term and its history, but maybe I'm missing something. I'm having a hard time connecting a pro-slavery, barely less than treasonist, minority wing of a party centered in a seceding part of the country to today's big-tent, civil rights inspired, majority party.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Wait, wouldn't Tulsi going third party be a good thing? She'll take away votes from Trump.

No it isn't for the same reason Stein wasn't. Having a chaos agent run as a "third party" only causes the Dem nominee to have to deal with taking hits from the Right as well as taking hits from "left" via an "independent" that's pushing false narratives to advance russian interests.

It's not a good thing at all.

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I follow how McClellan Democrats is being applied here. I'm familiar with the term and its history, but maybe I'm missing something. I'm having a hard time connecting a pro-slavery, barely less than treasonist, minority wing of a party centered in a seceding part of the country to today's big-tent, civil rights inspired, majority party.
Lincoln and McClellan clashed over McClellan being too cautious with the Union Army.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Wait, wouldn't Tulsi going third party be a good thing? She'll take away votes from Trump.

As Manmademan said, Tulsi won't be running as a good-faith actor, even if she thinks that she is. The underlining accusation here is that her third-party campaign would be supported by foreign interests in an attempt to indirectly support one candidate (Trump) over another (the Democratic nominee). This isn't Ross Perot running a campaign that splits the difference in a intellectually honest way, this is Tusli sabotaging the Democrats for personal gain with the support of a foreign power.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this post below nails the issue with that original tweet. Just saying "hours" doesn't mean a lot of jobs got automated. It just means people found other work (predominantly retail and side gigs, these days).

And this isn't sustainable imo.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As Manmademan said, Tulsi won't be running as a good-faith actor, even if she thinks that she is. The underlining accusation here is that her third-party campaign would be supported by foreign interests in an attempt to indirectly support one candidate (Trump) over another (the Democratic nominee). This isn't Ross Perot running a campaign that splits the difference in a intellectually honest way, this is Tusli sabotaging the Democrats for personal gain with the support of a foreign power.
She's an Assad Toadie like Tankie Trash Twitter. She absolutely knows she's not acting in good faith.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
That's the connection? Man, that's really weak considering that McClellan Democrats were an actual thing that had stated principles. I think someone got too clever on this one.

Yeah, it's as simple as McClellan (as a general) was extremely reticent to attack and routinely misjudged the size of the Confederate Army when planning battles.

It's okay, I'll never tire of seeing bad news for Simply Susan. As I've said 10000 times in PoliEra, her Kavanaugh speech is seared in my brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.