• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
So, by the way, expect some incredibly fierce and hostile Trump tweets directed at Rooney soon.

His 2016 opponent in the Republican primary is Trump buddy Dan Bongino. The guy who has been championing the Obama spied on Trump bullshit.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I follow how McClellan Democrats is being applied here. I'm familiar with the term and its history, but maybe I'm missing something. I'm having a hard time connecting a pro-slavery, barely less than treasonist, minority wing of a party centered in a seceding part of the country to today's big-tent, civil rights inspired, majority party.
A contemporaneous quote from Edward Stanton, Secretary of War under Lincoln
"If we had a million men, McClellan would swear the enemy had two millions, and then he would sit down in the mud and yell for three."

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
Will post this one up in OT too, but lol Joni Ernst, she's in deep shit (which wasn't hard to see coming) - https://morningconsult.com/2019/10/...for-2020s-most-vulnerable-senate-republicans/

I think someone posted this image yesterday. It gives me life.

191016_vulnerable-senators-2019Q3_fullwidth.png

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Yeah, it's as simple as McClellan (as a general) was extremely reticent to attack and routinely misjudged the size of the Confederate Army when planning battles.

Right, but they would have been better off with almost any other general to avoid the unnecessary confusion. Like:

Burnside- incompetent, failed in the face of inferior enemies, didn't understand his advantages
Mead- Failed to capitalize on his victories to crush a disorganized and smaller enemy
(to a lesser extent)Hooker- Self aggrandizing, unliked, out of his depth

I know we're into the weeds on this one, but pulling McClellan out of the air of all the generals seems like a really confusing way to make a point. Anyone who knows about that period in history is going to associate "McClellan Democrats" with the campaign of 1864. Yes, McClellan the general was overly cautious, but "McClellan Democrats" are a whole other thing apart from simply George McClellan.

Ok, I'm sorry, that's a really niche wormhole to go down.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I'm worried about russians expanding their election tampering efforts into giving a boost to vulnerable R senate seats.The russians may see even greater importance in holding sway over the senate now as this whole situation plays out.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Who is even running against Ernst?
Theresa Greenfield is the DSCC's preferred candidate. She ran for one of the Iowa districts last year but dropped out before the primary - there was some fraud stuff with her campaign manager, she fired him and dropped out immediately.

Could come back to bite her but I think she can easily spin it as her doing the right thing. She also out raised Ernst last quarter

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first he says this, or was he already in that camp!
He sounded like he was in the camp for awhile. He was pro the inquiry. This is the first time he's gone the full nine yards.
With great sadness.

Blank stare.
Eh, even dems are going with that talking point even when it's not true. And, honestly, having a president for whom impeachment is required is not pleasant. I am sad that Trump is Trump and President.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't trust Iowa voters to actually get rid of Ernst when it comes to actually make the vote. McSally, Tillis, and Collins feel like more doable wins largely because those states feel like more fertile ground for Dems in general. It's like we saw with Tennessee last year, and potentially seeing in Kentucky this year: much as Republicans may hate Blackburn or Bevin, they just cannot bring themselves to vote for a Democrat instead.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
A pedant's complaint, but I wish people would stop using the phrase "crossing the Rubicon" to talk about supporting the impeachment of a corrupt president when the actual event led to the downfall of Republican Rome and the ascension of an authoritarian into power.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't trust Iowa voters to actually get rid of Ernst when it comes to actually make the vote. McSally, Tillis, and Collins feel like more doable wins largely because those states feel like more fertile ground for Dems in general. It's like we saw with Tennessee last year, and potentially seeing in Kentucky this year: much as Republicans may hate Blackburn or Bevin, they just cannot bring themselves to vote for a Democrat instead.

I agree. I think we'd take those anti-Ernst GOPers abstaining from voting for a Senator, though.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Will post this one up in OT too, but lol Joni Ernst, she's in deep shit (which wasn't hard to see coming) - https://morningconsult.com/2019/10/...for-2020s-most-vulnerable-senate-republicans/

I think someone posted this image yesterday. It gives me life.
You know why right? You all know why?

This is why. Because we asked these fucksticks about Trump and laid bare their nonsense. There needs to be more powerful moments like these.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A pedant's complaint, but I wish people would stop using the phrase "crossing the Rubicon" to talk about supporting the impeachment of a corrupt president when the actual event led to the downfall of Republican Rome and the ascension of an authoritarian into power.
I mean the idea of a point of no return fits.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Theresa Greenfield is the DSCC's preferred candidate. She ran for one of the Iowa districts last year but dropped out before the primary - there was some fraud stuff with her campaign manager, she fired him and dropped out immediately.

Could come back to bite her but I think she can easily spin it as her doing the right thing. She also out raised Ernst last quarter
There's also a retired Admiral running, Michael Franken. I think with the DSCC endorsement Greenfield has the advantage in the primary but they're the main names.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Watching CNN right now, wow at this guest on, I assume a lawyer. He's saying the suggestion that Trump isn't profiting from the Doral G7 is an irrelevant defense, that any other govt employee saying he did something wrong but didn't profit from it, doesn't absolve them. Host plays Don Jr clip saying this would save the Govt money compared to other places, asks him about that. He says, "Well that is worrying, because that suggests he has access to all the other bids, and that is a violation of the law, some Procurement Act [I forget the exact words], so I hope that was just puffery."

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. Ernst supports a POTUS that fucked up their money really bad.

We know racists and sexists will take an economic hit to hurt brown people or women or whoever - just look at Brexit as a whole country is about to immolate itself in order to shit on West Indian and Central Asian immigrants - but in this country, there has been a limit to how much pain in the pocketbook that the majority of racists will take in order to advance racism. 2008's presidential race is a perfect example.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Tennessee isn't Iowa.
Yeah. I know you're all tired of me beating this drum, but Iowa went for Trump by 9 points in 2016. Tennessee went for him by 26 points.

His approval is still +13 in TN according to Morning Consult while it's -16 in IA.

Also, while Bredesen turned out to be a dud, he still outran Clinton by over nine points. The lean of the state beat him more than anything.

Yeah. Ernst supports a POTUS that fucked up their money really bad.

We know racists and sexists will take an economic hit to hurt brown people or women or whoever - just look at Brexit as a whole country is about to immolate itself in order to shit on West Indian and Central Asian immigrants - but in this country, there has been a limit to how much pain in the pocketbook that the majority of racists will take in order to advance racism. 2008's presidential race is a perfect example.
Important note is that Iowa is significantly more white than like, Southern red states.

Yeah, there's still plenty of racist whites who'll blame everything on the immigrants, but it's not really a reality they have to deal with everyday. The South is so red because it's so polarized, white voters regularly support Republicans in the 80s-90s. Iowa gets to be swingy because those racial tensions aren't as prominent or relevant to their political culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.