• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
there is polling out there (in Ohio anyway) that tells you that isnt the case.

It depends on how much of the base are GOP true believers versus the deplorables and the larger mass of deplorable-adjacent, those who put on a veneer of respectability but still only care about hurting brown people and triggering the libs.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
This is an oversimplification of where opposition to single payer lies. Yes, there are some people who don't want to pay higher taxes--but it's not because they don't want their tax dollars to go to "the poors." Opposition to single payer is really wide reaching. Most people do not want to lose the coverage they have. A lot of people don't want to have to worry about losing their doctors, treatments and approved therapies. Some people realize that the single payer bill that exists is totally unworkable as written, and promising 0 minute abs isn't going to make it more likely to work. It's not just folks who want to hate the poors, althoug there are some assholes who feel that way. But there are actually valid reasons for being opposed to single payer, and hand waving all critiques as "you just hate poor people" is a sure fire way to win zero additional support for what you supposedly want.
It's a big part of the opposition and narrative foisted on people to vote against their self-interest. A plan which would give them better coverage for less money. States that refuse Medicare expansion.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not big business bad.

It's Reagan/Clinton welfare stigmatization bad. it was that way for ACA. It's that way for any "entitlement" that isn't used by non-marginalized people.
Were you paying attention in '09/'10 when the vote was going through the Senate? Because the death of the public option had fuck all to do with marginalized people. https://publicintegrity.org/health/elimination-of-public-option-threw-consumers-to-the-insurance-wolves/

Fuck Joe Lieberman forever.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So. Turn back the clock. Back with Obama. You had a choice between the ACA which lowered the uninsured rate from 20.6% to 8% or nothing.

Which choice kills more people do you think?

You're right that this was the choice, but I don't think it even does the context justice. Those were the only choices because Ted Kennedy died and Scott Brown was elected after the Senate passed the ACA with a super majority. The only options were literally this bill or nothing. We couldn't even put up a fight for the superior house bill. We couldn't even tweak any of the broken provisions outside of what could be done in reconciliation

Everyone knew it kind of sucked, but hoped (somewhat correctly) that once people were insured the only way to go was up

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
As a Warren supporter, I don't care if she runs on single payer...because, well to be frank, it's not going to happen. The reason I trust her on healthcare is because she has shown she's intelligent, nimble and willing to synthesize new information. I don't think she would refuse to compromise to pass an expanded ACA, public option, or Medicare for all who want it. (All of which I think are good ideas that are far more realistic.) If, through some magical thing, she manages to get single payer through Congress...then she's an even better politician than I thought she was.

I also don't have to agree with every single thing a candidate is running on.The default position shouldn't be that your candidate is always 100% right on everything, and then work backwards from there.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Employer provided healthcare in the US has been gutted. Deductibles are extremely high. Employers change healthcare constantly. It's not a choice for anyone who has to work for a living or who is not in a highly skilled job.
You, and Sanders, can repeat this over and over and try to convince yourselves that loss aversion is not a thing I guess.

I simultaneously think the US healthcare system is an absolute mess and travesty.

But part of the greatest opposition to changing it will be from people who don't want to lose what they have.

Nothing to me indicates that Sanders of anyone in this field, or the people he surrounds himself with, are remotely equipped for such a change management exercise.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the notion that Warren's support comes purely from espousing the leftmost/populist left position is probably pretty flawed to begin with.

The persona and brand that Warren has built entails intelligence, competence, integrity, persistence. Coupled with warmth, passion and authentic compassion.

People like Elizabeth Warren when they see and hear her speak about things.

They don't back her because she co-sponsored a messaging bill (that the sponsor doesn't seem to think is a messaging bill).
It's not a messaging bill. I think that's where the breakdown comes in and a real ideological difference exists. One is lip-service if this is what you believe.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a messaging bill. I think that's where the breakdown comes in and a real ideological difference exists. One is lip-service if this is what you believe.
Lol, so I mean. This is exactly where the disconnect lies.

Bernie Sanders, and his devout following, read that bill and think... This is a plausible thing that will happen in four years. It is the only thing that should happen. Nothing else will do.

And everyone else looks at it and sees a messaging bill put forward in a Senate minority, completely implausible, that was always going to get tabled or die in committee. But provides a good signal of directional alignment, and so can be co-sponsored without any real chance of enactment.

Last edited:

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
It's a big part of the opposition and narrative foisted on people to vote against their self-interest. A plan which would give them better coverage for less money. States that refuse Medicare expansion.
It's republican opposition. No one is disputing that. But, again, there are legitimate reasons to be opposed to a forced single payer system out side "let's stick it to the poors." I am not in favor of a mandated transition to single payer. It has zero to do with wanting to make life harder for poor folks. In fact, some of my opposition is rooted in the drastic changes that would occur for folks on Medicaid should Bernie's bill be implemented as written. Like I said, my issue is that it's a bad idea to just argue everyone opposed to this one thing is doing so because of bullshit republican talking points.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
As a Warren supporter, I don't care if she runs on single payer...because, well to be frank, it's not going to happen. The reason I trust her on healthcare is because she has shown she's intelligent, nimble and willing to synthesize new information. I don't think she would refuse to compromise to pass an expanded ACA, public option, or Medicare for all who want it. (All of which I think are good ideas that are far more realistic.) If, through some magical thing, she manages to get single payer through Congress...then she's an even better politician than I thought she was.

I also don't have to agree with every single thing a candidate is running on.The default position shouldn't be that your candidate is always 100% right on everything, and then work backwards from there.
Well said.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
A silver lining to this is that not even Trump thinks he's getting re-elected. A silver lining littered with the bodies of our dead allies and broken foreign relations.

I get the feeling that dumbass is getting ready to flee the country.

Dec 6, 2018
A silver lining to this is that not even Trump thinks he's getting re-elected. A silver lining littered with the bodies of our dead allies and broken foreign relations.

I get the feeling that dumbass is getting ready to flee the country.
That's actually the thing that I wonder and worry most about. For all his recklessness, Trump still has plenty to lose right now. Now what happens if he loses in 2020 and people aren't willing to forgive and forget? That lame duck period could get ugly fast. (I suppose there's technically a chance that a large enough loss would convince the Senate to cut their losses impeach, just to stop him from breaking anything else before leaving, hell maybe even the 25th would be invoked)

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Also, like, I think pretty much everyone in here who has a preference for Warren dunked on her implausible trade policy.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
And the support Warren is starting to receive from people who wouldn't have been for the ideas she is putting out if they were not forced to do so.
Sorry but this is really asinine. We don't have hundreds of millions of people here demanding single-payer healthcare. If you want single-payer to happen, then many many many people who were skeptical of or outright opposed to it will need to come into the fold. How do you think Bernie wins and passes single-payer healthcare, solely off the backs of the minority of Americans who already support it? If Warren is expanding the base for single-payer support, that's exactly what any single-payer advocate should be in favor of!

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

tumblr_ntay7yA9bI1s1v3r1o1_500.gif

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I'm not sure Russia is happy about the open skies treaty pullout, it allows them to observe us too. Sounds more like a right wing fever dream. But I haven't read up on the ramifications other than an increase in instability.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think that M4A covers Gender Confirmation Surgery, thats a big deal.
Here in Canada my good friend is having the surgery next week, everything is paid for through medicare, they showed her the bills how much it would cost and it's unreal how expensive it is. I can't imagine anyone having to find ways to raise the money to have such an important surgery for themselves. All she had to do was pay for a flight to Montreal where it is happening.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Still catching up but I'm not sure I saw a clear TLDR:

support for M4A collapses when you tell people they'd lose their current coverage.

Warren's caginess here is wise.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
People largely want Medicare 4 America, and that's really the only viable option... as nice as M4All is, there's no way it passes, I just can't fathom it happening

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
If she gets in the general and starts taking money from huge banks and insurance companies

You mean individual bankers and insurance employees, many of whom are rank and file making median wage?

My mom works in medical billing. If she donates to a candidate she does so as an individual, but it gets reported as part of the "healthcare industry" for people who don't understand how this works.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, her trade policy is horrible. Just....horrible.
What do you think of this bit?

From her site:

Under Elizabeth's plan, countries will be required to join the Paris Climate Agreement and eliminate domestic fuel subsidies as a precondition for entering trade negotiations with the United States. Elizabeth will seek a new multilateral agreement to protect domestic subsidies for green products and preferential treatment for green energy production from WTO challenges. And she'll impose a border carbon adjustment on carbon-intensive imported goods.

Elizabeth will end the practice of secret trade negotiations heavily influenced by corporate interests. She'll ensure that environmental, consumer, and labor representatives outnumber corporate interests on trade advisory committees. And rather than rushing trade deals through Congress, she'll make draft agreements public -- giving Americans, including environmental groups, an opportunity to comment.

Elizabeth also supports creating a "non-sustainable economy" designation for countries with poor environmental practices. She'll strengthen enforcement by creating a labor and environmental enforcement division under the United States Trade Representative, and she'll remove Investor State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) provisions that allow multinational corporations to single-handedly undermine environmental regulations.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
You mean individual bankers and insurance employees, many of whom are rank and file making median wage?

My mom works in medical billing. If she donates to a candidate she does so as an individual, but it gets reported as part of the "healthcare industry" for people who don't understand how this works.
I'm part of the LEGAL INDUSTRY. ONOESSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssss

Why is this even a thing with our election laws? Who gives a fuck where the average private ass citizen works.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't. But there are a lot of people onboard with Warren who were mocking these ideas as part of the Presidential platform last time and are begrudgingly still fighting it to protect against giving equal healthcare to poor people.

I guess it's a good thing, but Warren can basically do no wrong in the eyes of many because the alternative is Biden or Bernie.
That reminds me of someone, it was like this guy who looked like Larry David and he was running against the fight song woman

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
What do you think of this bit?

From her site:
I'm good with a lot of that. I don't think it's all 100% attainable, because we're still going to have to trade with China unless we want to pay a fortune for everything in the store. But, ya, tying some things to climate change isn't the worst idea in the world.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
User banned (1 week): inappropriate commentary over a series of posts
Is it just my imagination or does trish regan on fox news talk like she has brain damage. Perhaps she is a victim of physical spousal abuse that caused such great brain damage. Investigate her husband?

[mod edit: post reverted to its original content]

Last edited by a moderator:

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's fucking maddenning. Corporations cannot donate to any campaigns or committees. They can only donate to Super PACs which, by definition, candidates have no control over (including any ability to reject their support)

My donations would go down in the banking/finance industry and I don't even own a top hat. I work in software

Status
Not open for further replies.