• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Heather Caygle @heatherscope

NEWS: Rep. Katie Hill resigning after allegations of improper relationships with staffers.

Story W @BresPolitico https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/27/rep-katie-hill-to-resign-amid-allegations-of-inappropriate-relationships-with-staffers-000301 …w

Hill's Resignation to take effect at end of this week, according to Democrats with knowledge of the news

6:41 PM - Oct 27, 2019

Whoa

I wonder if the ethics investigation wasn't going well.....

A damn shame.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hill had to resign. You can't fuck your employees. Doesn't matter how consensual everything is.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Also, Bernie is dead in the water for the simple fact that he cannot get a meaningful share of the over 65 vote. Folks can complain about boomers all they want, and sure, but if you are running between fourth and seventh with voters over 65....you simply cannot win. There is no path there. And, the thing is, I have no idea what he could possibly do to fix that. He's a known quantity. Warren is doing well enough with them so that it's not totally ideological. The olds just really, really, really don't like him. (And I think I know why, but it would be bitch eating crackers to point it out, and I'm nothing if not a good, kind, decent, attractive, young person.)

You add to that he's basically getting zero Clinton 2016 support, holding onto less than 1/3 of his 2016 votes...he's treading water. That's it. He doesn't need to drop out, because people are still giving him money and it's not like he has anything better to do. But ot pretend that his candidcay is not in dire straights is a really, really bad read.

Also, I know I shouldn't be, but I am literally shocked how poorly the White House has handled the news cycle so far. They literally did fuck all to positively spin it, mainly because Trump's a fugging moron who can't stay on topic. It's already getting pushed out of the main headlines, and by Tuesday no one will even remotely care.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Hill weren't in this situation and didn't have to resign.

It's a Clinton 50-43 district that every statewide Democrat won last year and Trump will certainly lose next year. Even if we lose the special, we can regain it in next year's general election.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

It's shitty what she did, shittier that the right-wing mob went after her by publishing her nudes, and also bad she is forced to resign, but it's probably for the better.

It just goes to show that Democrats have integrity while Duncan Hunter and Chris Collins (though he finally fucked off) persisted after breaking the law.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The bit about her paying the one dude a bigger bonus than everybody else was a very bad look.
I had to look that up now. Something about paying a guy who was her lover a $5K bonus. Now I'm confused though. I thought the leaks from the husband had pics of her with a young female and I assumed that was the staffer people were talking about, and the threesome was a female staffer with the married couple. If the threesome was a young male staffer who was the woman in those pics? And is the husband going to face criminal consequences for those leaks?

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say polling in the same narrow range since April is pretty dead in the water.

If that range was 4% than yes. But it's not. The simplest comment here is that if something happened that forced Biden or Warren to drop out suddenly Bernie is in a very competitive spot. Iowa and NH are also pretty volatile and Iowa specifically is a caucus state where Bernie has proven mobilization strength in the past.

I don't think Bernie will win. But if you are working on his campaign I really don't think you are looking at the current situation and saying it's time to pack it up.

Also, to be clear, Biden's campaign hasn't really been smoking. He's polling around the same place he always has, Warren has just been gaining on him because of drop-out votes mostly going to her.

It's not about that, it's about the bad coverage and extremely visible money problems. There was a big NYT article days ago about Biden having to make an aggressive case to his donors not to give up on him. That's not where you want to be.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Sanders strategy is to appeal to people who wouldn't normally vote in a Democratic Primary. Hopefully he can get young people to caucus in Iowa and keep the momentum going.

I sure hope he's got a plan for actually mobilizing these folks, because "they'll hear his message and be so moved by it they'll turn out in droves to vote in the primaries" hasn't been all that successful

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had to look that up now. Something about paying a guy who was her lover a $5K bonus. Now I'm confused though. I thought the leaks from the husband had pics of her with a young female and I assumed that was the staffer people were talking about, and the threesome was a female staffer with the married couple. If the threesome was a young male staffer who was the woman in those pics? And is the husband going to face criminal consequences for those leaks?

I'm thinking that the extended ethics investigation would have uncovered a bunch of unsavory things connected to a handful of staffers. The bonus is barely underwater from the tip of the iceberg.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The most important winnowing was never going to happen until at least Iowa.

Bernie won't drop out. Warren won't drop out.

Honestly, the candidates who *are* going to drop out are more likely to defect to Biden. If Sanders stays in the race (and continues to run so far behind Warren), Biden is going to take the nomination.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Joey Salads has the most desperate Twitter account in existence. He's under every fucking tweet for a Dem.

I saw that! It took me a while to realize he was the guy that showed his dick everywhere in a bunch of videos. Then he has balls to tweet where's the apology to Hill?

Yet another Also Ran who'll be irrelevent when Trump is gone.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
the allegations concerned two staffers, a woman from her campaign and a guy congressional staffer. hill & her husband were apparently in some kinda poly relationship with the female campaign staffer but he was pissed with her alleged relationship with the male staffer.

Last edited:

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Also let's be clear that literally every piece of information we have about this "scandal" was leaked by an ex deliberately to harm Hill and so zero percent of it should be considered reliable or even repeated

Status
Not open for further replies.