• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
GE match-ups so far out don't matter :)
Idk I know that they don't mean everything but they also don't mean nothing

I think it's pretty safe to say looking at general match ups that nominating Pete would be an absolutely horrible idea

Also Biden has been leading Trump by like 12 points for an entire year and hasn't changed what so ever despite all the gaffes madness, etc. I.e I think if people cared about his Ukraine stuff we would have seen some movement

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
If they mattered everyone would have coronated Bernie last time around
See they only didn't matter in that scenario though because primary voters said they didn't

I remember people dismissing them when Bernie tried to mention that by going "lol Gary Hart said the same thing lol didn't work lol"

Which to me was always super dumb because we ended up nominating someone who didn't win that election too so maybe we should pay more attention to these sorts of match ups because we have had a habit of ignoring them and then losing

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to RCP:

Biden is +8.9 on average
Bernie is +6.3 on average
Warren is +5.2 on average

So it's not such a big difference between the three candidates so far out from the general

See they only didn't matter in that scenario though because primary voters said they didn't

I remember people dismissing them when Bernie tried to mention that by going "lol Gary Hart said the same thing lol didn't work lol"

Which to me was always super dumb because we ended up nominating someone who didn't win that election too so maybe we should pay more attention to these sorts of match ups because we have had a habit of ignoring them and then losing

Obviously there is a lot of things to consider, in 2020 I think the main thing to consider are the following. Fundraising, enthusiasm, number of volunteers, number of staff, number of offices in different states, union endorsements, online operation and last of all polling. Polling gives us an idea but it could be off the mark because it could under-represented thinks like:
Many new voters coming out to vote in the primary. Many independents vote in the Dem Primary instead of the Republican one(compared to 2016). Youth vote could be considerably higher in the primary because Sanders and Warren's have better organizations, than Sanders campaign had in 2016 etc.

Last edited:

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Biden being at 27% is like rock solid consistent across 90% of polls at this point, huh?

GE match-ups so far out don't matter :) If they mattered everyone would have coronated Bernie last time around

It would be ironic if you were one of the Bernie supporters in 2016 pointing at how Bernie was doing in head-to-heads as a reason why he would win.

Anyway, I did think that Bernie would do better than a damaged Hillary in the GE in 2016.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh .... more polls out to flood the thread. Just get rid of those bottom feeders and start the real debates.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Trump team's newest non-strategy

Kellyanne Conway, deflecting questions about Trump asking a foreign leader to investigate his political rival, now trying to tell @DanaBashCNN that Biden is not his political rival

After many attempts, Kellyanne Conway finally acknowledges on @CNNSotu she doesn't know if Trump withheld military aid to Ukraine to get the country to announce probe into the Bidens. "I don't know but I know they got that aid."

Nov 20, 2017
Ugh .... more polls out to flood the thread. Just get rid of those bottom feeders and start the real debates.

Eh, most of them are showing a clear top tier (Biden/Warren/Sanders), Buttigieg in the middle (and likely overperforming in if not winning Iowa) and Harris/Klob/Yang with a miniscule shot. It's pretty obvious how the field is shaping up now.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oZ1dcjM.jpg

The unexpected twist and character development. We love to see it!

Glad to see that Gabbard saw zero national movement

There is an "sketchy" Nevada poll (DNC appv) coming soon. Hopefully she's not polling sufficiently there. That poll might as well be her last chance to make it to the Nov debate.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
According to Wikipedia's accounting of the polls, Harris has now qualified for the December debate thanks to the latest batch. Klobb only needs one more national poll to qualify, Yang needs 3, Tootsie needs 2 plus ~28k more donors, Steyer needs 3 plus ~34k more donors. No one else has any qualifying polls or donors.
Kamala is gonna be in until Iowa unless she completely runs out of cash.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Glad we agree Steel, doesn't seem to happen often
Agreeing with you often amounts to having to saying "Bernie's totally has a chance!".

And, let me be clear, I don't actually hate Bernie with a burning passion or anything remotely like that. But it's very easy to come across that way when people get into the "he'll totally win the primary" or "all his policies are the objective best and everyone else's is objectively the status quo" circles.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Formamentum lost steam and is sort of stalled.

Nov 20, 2017
According to Wikipedia's accounting of the polls, Harris has now qualified for the December debate thanks to the latest batch. Klobb only needs one more national poll to qualify, Yang needs 3, Tootsie needs 2 plus ~28k more donors, Steyer needs 3 plus ~34k more donors. No one else has any qualifying polls or donors.
Kamala is gonna be in until Iowa unless she completely runs out of cash.

Good news is that Kamala seems to have overperformed at the L&J dinner. It probably won't be enough, but I feel people are very hasty to count her out completely (when like, 2/3rds of caucus voters will make up their minds in the last month or so).

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017

Yikes at Warren's. One mistake or bad performance during a debate and she might end up getting Kamala'd.

I don't know about that, but I think there is a lot of opportunity for Bernie to eat up that support.

Even if Sanders splits that support with buttigieg, he would Sanders would be in great shape.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She's been dropping for a while now. Problem is, Biden keeps going back up after each dip and Pete has been gaining while Bernie is stuck in the Cool People Zone.

I wonder if Warren is losing some affluent white people to Pete.
That's exactly what's happening. Fortunately for her, I doubt Pete stays in if he doesn't win a state early on. Ironically, Pete and Biden's bases don't have much overlap.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I really dislike the Warren portrayal on SNL. It just seems like Kate is playing a character that doesn't exist, throwing out random phrases like "that's my kink" and " stank"....for reasons.

Oct 25, 2017
oZ1dcjM.jpg

The unexpected twist and character development. We love to see it!

There is an "sketchy" Nevada poll (DNC appv) coming soon. Hopefully she's not polling sufficiently there. That poll might as well be her last chance to make it to the Nov debate.

Maybe some day in the far-flung future, I can share my Peter Daou stories with the world. The short version is:I wouldn't want him supporting, endorsing, or interacting in any way with any candidate I liked.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yikes at Warren's. One mistake or bad performance during a debate and she might end up getting Kamala'd.

Let's break this down.
In this poll Biden is 27%. With 50% being hard support, that's 13.5% of that total vote that Biden will never ever lose.
Warren is at 23%. With 32% hard support, her floor is 7.36%.
Sanders is at 19% in this poll. With 57% hard support, his floor is 10.8%.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
Wait.. How is Trump changing his residence to Florida a "predictor" of what happens in the Midwest? is he moving to PA, MI,and WI too?
what the fuck is this take even? lol. You can have concerns, but Trumps "place of residence" shouldn't be one. Especially outside the state he'll be "residing" lmao.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Let's break this down.
In this poll Biden is 27%. With 50% being hard support, that's 13.5% of that total vote that Biden will never ever lose.
I think the "Just leaning" stat is important too for Warren. it's where the difference is rather than in the "probably" answer.

That's up for grabs.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Wait.. How is Trump changing his residence to Florida a "predictor" of what happens in the Midwest? is he moving to PA, MI,and WI too?
what the fuck is this take even? lol. You can have concerns, but Trumps "place of residence" shouldn't be one. Especially outside the state he'll be "residing" lmao.
It's not lol.

The dynamics that make Florida competitive are different than the Midwest. That's why you saw such a strong Dem snapback in MN, MI, WI, and PA (and to a lesser extent, OH and IA which had more mixed results but where Trump also did much better in 16) whereas FL was stubbornly red-leaning as always.

Like if you'd told me a year in advance that Bill Nelson would lose his seat, I would assume we were in for a heartbreak. While losing his seat was still a bummer, it wasn't exactly predictive.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's break this down.

Why do you think they can't lose this hard support? The hard support you are mentioning is likely to go the person who wins 2/3 during the first three states. Biden can't afford to lose all 3, but he is likely going to be facing such an outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.