• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
3ddc0ebdeb5babd663ef359523e4bb17baf6456f.jpg

Oh boy.
It's like he's literally begging to be brought the court to give him cover, but he really really wants to testify.
This community has lots of in-jokes, references to old trolls, Drag Race gifs and Mariah Carey references. It brightens the otherwise dreary process of watching the country quietly murder-ize itself. I've always appreciated the random segues the thread takes (like our recent Star Trek discussion), if only because it means something awful hasn't happened lately and people are relaxing a little.
Hey, I don't mind it. I was just hoping for an interesting story.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm saying. I hope Schiff is doing due diligence behind the scenes to get a feel for what is going on here.
I feel like this is the investigatory equivalent of that scene in a movie where a guy who really doesn't want to get into a fight, but wants to pretend he's tough is basically asking his friends to hold him back so he can make a scene of it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't publicly saying he has a lot of information pertinent to the investigation make it harder for him to contest a subpoena in a court?

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Bolton's not on our team. He has his own agenda and is fanatical about executive power to do unilateral things.

But it's not clear if this is some kind of hero complex where he thinks he can save the party from Trump or if it is signaling to other Republicans that if "you want to wage a campaign to get people in the party OK with Trump removed, I can bring the bombs".

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't publicly saying he has a lot of information pertinent to the investigation make it harder for him to contest a subpoena in a court?
Yes. Like, my thought on his angle is that he'll get the subpoena, take it to court, court rules in favor of the subpoena and he says "Oh well, I don't have a choice" and doesn't appeal. Cause the alternative thought that he wants to slow down the impeachment investigation doesn't really hold water since having a parallel case to the impeachment investigation doesn't actually slow it down.

Bolton's not on our team. He has his own agenda and is fanatical about executive power to do unilateral things.

But it's not clear if this is some kind of hero complex where he thinks he can save the party from Trump or if it is signaling to other Republicans that if "you want to wage a campaign to get people in the party OK with Trump removed, I can bring the bombs".

I don't think he's a hero. I just think he wants political cover.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
Yes. Like, my thought on his angle is that he'll get the subpoena, take it to court, court rules in favor of the subpoena and he says "Oh well, I don't have a choice" and doesn't appeal. Cause the alternative thought that he wants to slow down the impeachment investigation doesn't really hold water since having a parallel case to the impeachment investigation doesn't actually slow it down.
Well if the House is wanting to vote on impeachment before Christmas and Bolton gets assigned a court date in late December or January..

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Jim Jordan is such a colossal buffoon. It's amazing that they're actually pulling strings to get him in front of the public.

It was a congratulatory call. Trump probably didn't even know who he was talking to, and it certainly doesn't contain anything worthwhile.

Nobody is asking for it, but they're going to release it to try to muddy the waters somehow. It's not going to make a difference.

Because the mechanism by which they would be arrested is through a referral to the Justice Department (unless they can get a sympathetic court to enforce the subpoena).

I'll give you 3 guesses as to how successful that would be.
Have they referred these to DOJ? Get them on the record as obstructing?

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Those Make America Great Again hats sitting right next to the Keep America Great hats represent the worst marketing confusion since the Wii U.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Dick Cheney Pulls A Dick Move On Christian Bale Over Movie Role

"Strangely enough it was through my son's school. One of the moms was at a party that [Cheney] was at, and she said, 'Oh, I'm going to be seeing Christian tomorrow, you have anything to say to him?'" Bale told Yahoo Entertainment. "And he said, 'Tell him he's a dick.'"

"I went, 'Oh, at least he's got a sense of humor," Bale said. "And she said, 'No, there was no humor to it whatsoever.'"

Oct 25, 2017
They can vote on impeachment without finishing the case against Bolton.

My thought is that it's an attempt to trap Democrats--"I have important information, but you can't have it without a lengthy court process!"

If they choose to proceed without Bolton's information, GOP pivots to accusing Dems of rushing to judgment to beat the election and not caring about The Truth since there's important information they're ignoring.

It's stupid, but it's a narrative I could see them trying to run with--mire yourselves in these stupid court battles if you REALLY care about the truth!

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My thought is that it's an attempt to trap Democrats--"I have important information, but you can't have it without a lengthy court process!"

If they choose to proceed without Bolton's information, GOP pivots to accusing Dems of rushing to judgment to beat the election and not caring about The Truth since there's important information they're ignoring.

It's stupid, but it's a narrative I could see them trying to run with--mire yourselves in these stupid court battles if you REALLY care about the truth!
See, that narrative works either way. If they don't even try to get Bolton to show up, then that argument is already set up.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Serious question: Why not just impeach Trump multiple times?
I mean it might be necessary anyway when we find out other crimes he's committed next year.

Since there is no chance of conviction in any case, the "point" of impeachment here is to move the needle of public opinion. A second try at impeachment would have a negative public effect.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

It's NEVER 10 dimensional chess with the GOP, outside of Mitch. And this isn't Mitch, so it's not a clever ruse.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Serious question: Why not just impeach Trump multiple times?
I mean it might be necessary anyway when we find out other crimes he's committed next year.

There was actually some talk about this, enough to think it might be (or have been) an actual strategy: impeach quickly on obstruction of justice, and continue gathering information afterward.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
It's NEVER 10 dimensional chess with the GOP, outside of Mitch. And this isn't Mitch, so it's not a clever ruse.

This, the WH doesn't even talk with their Congressional reps on strategy, there is zero reason to think that there is some mastermind plan behind Bolton outside of what Bolton has in his own mind/has talked with to his establishment buddies.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to expand about the 30 million Bernie's campaign will invest into the first 4 states and California. California and Nevada are going to be key States he needs to win to be the front runner after Super Tuesday. And I think he has the strategy to do it, outside of getting young people to turn out, seems his team is working overtime to make him the favorite. Interestingly we haven't heard about Texas but with Beto out we might see serious investments there as well.

That might sound like a crazy thing to say about the 78-year-old senator from one of the whitest states in the country. But Latino activists say they hear all the time from voters in their community who are high on Sanders, and that's backed by polling showing him leading or tied among Latinos. Sanders won the highly coveted endorsement of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. His campaign co-chair is San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz. Afro-Latina rapper Cardi B is a fan.
"I have been running campaigns for 30 years and the Latino vote program has always been the last thought, if not an afterthought," said Chuck Rocha, a senior adviser to Sanders. "But with Bernie's campaign, it's one of our first priorities."
Sanders' aides are hopeful that Ocasio-Cortez's endorsement will energize Latino voters not just in Iowa — where Ocasio-Cortez is expected to stump with Sanders soon — but in California, Nevada and other states with sizable Latino populations.
And last week's Morning Consult poll had Sanders leading among Latinos nationally at 29 percent, followed by Biden at 24 percent and Warren at 16 percent.

"We're a community of struggle, and this is a man who knows struggle," said Anthony Mercado, a 48-year-old maintenance worker, who wore a "Bernie 2016" T-shirt while sitting outside the East Los Angeles Sanders campaign office the day it opened last month. "Latinos have been promised things and then the winds change. But he's been saying the same things ever since he started."
In a recent poll of likely Democratic voters from the Public Policy Institute of California, a nonpartisan research group, 39 percent of Latinos in California said they prefer Mr. Sanders, compared to 21 percent for former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and 5 percent for Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts. Latinos make up 24 percent of likely Democratic voters in the state, according to the group.

Sen. Sanders is the favorite of Latino voters with 28% support, followed by Warren and Biden (22% each), Harris (7%) and Buttigieg (6%). The only Latino candidate, former HUD Secretary Julian Castro, is the choice of just 1% of Latino voters in California.

Oct 25, 2017
This, the WH doesn't even talk with their Congressional reps on strategy, there is zero reason to think that there is some mastermind plan behind Bolton outside of what Bolton has in his own mind/has talked with to his establishment buddies.

Right, but I thought the belief was that they were using the other court case to determine what would happen with Bolton. Dems drop the case as they don't need the fight to confirm information they already have, and now Bolton is running around going I HAVE INFORMATION YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT BUT I'M NOT TELLINGGGGGGGG.

Either they go back to court and fight it out, or Bolton (and by extension his buddies and the GOP in general) gets to talk about how Dems didn't want to get all the facts.

Like ideally he really wants to spill and will just cooperate, but I don't see it as a complicated grand strategy so much as just transparent bait.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Right, but I thought the belief was that they were using the other court case to determine what would happen with Bolton. Dems drop the case as they don't need the fight to confirm information they already have, and now Bolton is running around going I HAVE INFORMATION YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT BUT I'M NOT TELLINGGGGGGGG.

Either they go back to court and fight it out, or Bolton (and by extension his buddies and the GOP in general) gets to talk about how Dems didn't want to get all the facts.

Like ideally he really wants to spill and will just cooperate, but I don't see it as a complicated grand strategy so much as just transparent bait.
I think the urgency and desperation from him over the past 2 days shows that he wants to be called to publicly testify next week or make that a talking point during the testimony of others.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Bolton is clearly baiting for one in trying to stall

\

Frank Simon, a conservative political activist and longtime supporter of Gov. Matt Bevin, is sending out robocalls seeking reports of 'suspicious activity' at polls ahead of #kygov recanvass https://courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/elections/kentucky/2019/11/08/kentucky-governor-race-activists-robocall-seeks-voter-fraud-reports-before-recanvass/2528098001/ via @courierjournal

You can listen to the Frank Simon robocall -- which doesn't have a paid for by disclaimer & leaves open possibility it is official board of election call -- here: https://courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/elections/kentucky/2019/11/08/kentucky-governor-race-activists-robocall-seeks-voter-fraud-reports-before-recanvass/2528098001/ #kygov

Conservative political activist Frank Simon, a longtime supporter of Gov. Matt Bevin, is sending robocalls asking Kentuckians to report suspicious activity or voter fraud to the State Board of Elections before Nov. 14 — the day of Bevin's requested recanvass.

Bevin finished 5,189 votes behind Democrat Andy Beshear in Tuesday's gubernatorial election but has refused to concede the race, requesting a recanvass of the vote, which is essentially a review of the vote totals in each county.

The governor has also made allegations of widespread voting irregularities and fraud on Election Day, but he hasn't provided any evidence to back up those claims.

According to a voicemail of the robocall sent to a Republican in Western Kentucky, Simon identifies himself and says, "If you or anyone you know has information regarding suspicious activity at polling locations, please report suspected voter fraud to the state department of elections by calling 502-573-7100."

He also asked that those calls to the State Board of Elections phone number take place by Nov. 13 — the day before each county board of elections conducts the recanvass.

There is no disclaimer on the call indicating who paid for it, nor is it explained that the call is not coming from the State Board of Elections.

Simon, of Louisville, did not return voicemails and an email asking who paid for the robocall and how many people it went to, or if any other group requested that he make the calls.

The president of the American Family Association of Kentucky, Simon has been known for decades as a socially conservative political activist, most notably for his opposition to Louisville's 1999 ordinance banning discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.

Simon was an early supporter of Bevin's run for U.S. Senate against Sen. Mitch McConnell in 2014 and his first run for governor the following year. He contributed at least $1,500 to Bevin's reelection campaign this year, and his organization endorsed the governor.

A spokesperson for Bevin's campaign did not immediately reply to an email asking if it paid for or coordinated in any way with Simon on the robocall.

In a Wednesday statement to reporters, the governor alleged absentee ballots were illegally counted, people were turned away at the polls, voting machines malfunctioned and ballots were stored in open boxes.

He offered no proof for the claims. The Courier Journal dug into Bevin's allegations, interviewing local-level election officials, who called the claims "flatly not true" and "ridiculous."

A spokesperson for Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes told The Courier Journal their office is aware of the call, but neither their office nor the State Board of Elections had anything to do with the call.

Grimes' office also confirmed that they have received complaints from people receiving Simon's calls in multiple counties across Kentucky, including Christian County in the west and Boyd County and Rockcastle County in the east.

Jared Dearing, the chair of the State Board of Elections, issued a statement that it "takes all claims of voting impropriety seriously and communicates all complaints to our investigative partners." The board will continue to working with county boards and county clerks during the recanvass process and meet on Nov. 21 to certify the election based on those recanvassed vote totals, he added.

Simon's robocall went out the same day that multiple Republican state legislators suggested Bevin's dispute of the election results should not extend past the recanvass, warning that his efforts to find "irregularities" should not turn into "a fishing expedition."

The robocall

Breaking robocall and campaign laws to own the libs

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stephen Miller is a terrible speech writer

Trump is scheduled to speak at 3 PM at an event for the Black Voices for Trump Coalition. Appearing before him are Alveda King (a Trump-supporting niece of Martin Luther King Jr.), Herman Cain, Katrina Pierson, Mike Pence and Ben Carson.

I'll dodge the obvious racist joke here and instead remind everyone how fucking terrible CNN was in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.