• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
The ratings won't come in until tomorrow morning. They're actually very important... if they're not higher than the broadcast network's normal daytime garbage they'll stop showing the hearings. I was at the gym during the opening statements and it was interesting to see the entire wall of TVs with it on... just not the cable business channels who were showing live senate fed chair testimony. Since. You know. Money > country. Fucking Wall Street.

My son's teacher streamed the hearings in his government history class. Well until the school's poor Internet connection crapped out.

I don't know what the TV ratings will be, but it definitely seems like there was a high awareness of the hearings overall. From that standpoint, I think it's a good thing.

aspiegamer said:
Off-topic, but apparently Disney+ cropped the entire old Simpsons catalogue into 16:9. Like, wtf, just leave old TV be to be experienced as originally intended. This gif would look absolute terrible cropped.

That's why I have Classic Simpsons on DVD boxset. I can view it as originally intended and I can listen to the excellent commentaries. Disney+ can bite me.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
My son's teacher streamed the hearings in his government history class. Well until the school's poor Internet connection crapped out.

I don't know what the TV ratings will be, but it definitely seems like there was a high awareness of the hearings overall. From that standpoint, I think it's a good thing.
Ooh that's awesome. The right thing to do, too, of course. I remember getting to watch the OJ verdict live, then witnessing all the teachers dumbfounded at the outcome and handing out a half dozen homework assignments on what "reasonable doubt" meant. Also, schools still have crap internet in 2019? The hell? Just get one of the students to hotspot their 4G... they probably all have phones that are capible. And they don't have normal TVs anymore, apparently?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Dude who wrote the NBC News piece:

RSWs8Pp.png

307RzrN.png

Responding to criticism:

H4JYhwG.png

Ya8csgg.png

643lvYP.png

GuRYdkL.png

PgH9wOd.png

Oct 27, 2017
The World
As always, Media makes this a tale of dueling analysis instead of just reporting the facts from the trial. So, we will hear about did Dems really persuade any Republicans or what not shit.

Like, every article should talk about how the witnesses are matter of fact witnesses and can't inject their own opinions into the trial. E.g. asking them if Trump should be impeached is not a question they can or should answer. It's not their job. The fact that GOP's whole defense is a conspiracy theory debunked by US's own Intelligence Agencies itself should be a scandal but isn't.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some folks in media too busy talking about presentation and rating numbers to care about the facts it seems. Seems like they are already slowly succumbing to the "boring" narrative.

Years of gaslighting and scandal has made impeachment mundane for these folks...

Edit: Also not most media obviously, most are focusing on how damning it all was, Republican defenses falling flat, Democrats handled it well and the new important piece of information that Taylor conveyed.

Last edited:

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure that nimrod was bored tonight and wanted to get off on writing sanctimonious retorts to Twitter users.

Oct 26, 2017
Ooh that's awesome. The right thing to do, too, of course. I remember getting to watch the OJ verdict live, then witnessing all the teachers dumbfounded at the outcome and handing out a half dozen homework assignments on what "reasonable doubt" meant. Also, schools still have crap internet in 2019? The hell? Just get one of the students to hotspot their 4G... they probably all have phones that are capible. And they don't have normal TVs anymore, apparently?

Yep, in 2019 there are still schools with crap Internet. Welcome to the public school system. You're right most of the kids do have 4G phones and could hotspot it, but my son said once the Internet connection went down the teacher was too lazy to get up and fiddle with the computer. Again, welcome to the public school system. But I will give credit for at least having the hearings on in the background for a good chunk of the class. So despite Pokemon and Star Wars coming out in a day, my son was actually aware of the impeachment hearings going on.

Btw, I was also at the gym earlier and every TV except the ones tuned to ESPN had the impeachment hearings. Even if people don't directly watch it, with all the saturation across various media formats people are bound to eventually ask questions like "Hey, what's up with the impeachment?" When my son came home from school, we spent 5 minutes talking about politics when he asked me about the hearings unprompted. I hope that's something, which is multiplied many times over across the country.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think more journalists would understand their own role in framing stories and training audiences how to interact with the news [and the world].

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
The worst part is that the NBC story is framed as news and analysis - not the opinion drivel that it really is. If he wants to claim he believed it was boring then have it, but it needs to labeled as such. Instead he declares himself to be the representative of the public as large, that he himself is the sole arbiter of what is and isn't interesting to the public. What polls did he conduct? Who the hell is he to say anything at all? The dude can fuck off, honestly.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
GOD BLESS YOU I LOVE YOU
Off-topic, but apparently Disney+ cropped the entire old Simpsons catalogue into 16:9. Like, wtf, just leave old TV be to be experienced as originally intended. This gif would look absolute terrible cropped.
That seems really fucking odd to me considering apparently they put a bunch of their movies as 4K on the service for the first time. So they'll do 4K for their movies but downgrade The Simpsons? WTF?

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GOD BLESS YOU I LOVE YOU

That seems really fucking odd to me considering apparently they put a bunch of their movies as 4K on the service for the first time. So they'll do 4K for their movies but downgrade The Simpsons? WTF?
Not only did they do that they went back and added effects to some movies, like Star Wars.

Truly baffling decisions.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
LOL at thinking the media would change.

I mean, it's a mixed bag and always has been. Plenty of media pieces have been accurately representing the impeachment hearing, including Fox News itself...(well Chris Wallace at least)

This, in a nutshell, is how it went for Republicans today: 'Fox News' Chris Wallace: 'Very Impressive' Ambassador Bill Taylor Was 'Very Damaging' to Trump' | Contemptor - https://go.shr.lc/2Ob0CSp #ImpeachmentHearings

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing

Wanting Democrats to actually make it a circus

So we play the game the way the opposing side projects? We play this impeachment up for entertainment?

give me a fucking break with this shit. Thats the republican playbook and I am tired of that shit

I want these hearings to be blunt, boring and to the fucking point. Thats the responsible thing to do

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Something to close out the thread:

Deval Patrick @DevalPatrick

In a spirit of profound gratitude for all the country has given to me, with a determination to build a better, more sustainable, more inclusive American Dream for everyone:

I am today announcing my candidacy for President of the United States.http://www.devalpatrick2020.com

6:59 AM - Nov 14, 2019

Vaughn Hillyard @VaughnHillyard

Deval Patrick will file his N.H. primary paperwork today in Concord before making campaign stops in California, Nevada, Iowa & then South Carolina, per campaign manager @AbeRakov. The campaign will hire staff in each of these early states. #81days til the Iowa caucus. https://twitter.com/devalpatrick/status/1194947881792352257 …

7:53 AM - Nov 14, 2019 · Arlington, VA

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deval's on CBS right now. Doesn't support M4A (just a public option), supports "reducing student debt" by "other strategies than we've heard about", says taxes should go up on the rich and tax code should be simplified (also that a wealth tax "makes sense directionally", whatever that means).

Bland!

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Not only did they do that they went back and added effects to some movies, like Star Wars.

Truly baffling decisions.
I can't believe George fucked with Greedo AGAIN.
Something to close out the thread:

Deval Patrick @DevalPatrick

In a spirit of profound gratitude for all the country has given to me, with a determination to build a better, more sustainable, more inclusive American Dream for everyone:

I am today announcing my candidacy for President of the United States.http://www.devalpatrick2020.com

6:59 AM - Nov 14, 2019

Vaughn Hillyard @VaughnHillyard

Deval Patrick will file his N.H. primary paperwork today in Concord before making campaign stops in California, Nevada, Iowa & then South Carolina, per campaign manager @AbeRakov. The campaign will hire staff in each of these early states. #81days til the Iowa caucus. https://twitter.com/devalpatrick/status/1194947881792352257 …

7:53 AM - Nov 14, 2019 · Arlington, VA

Kindly fuck off back here to MA.

Status
Not open for further replies.