• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
so if this was supposed to be a "deterrent" (WHAT), what happens when they strike back????

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Graham is talking about a counter-punch. These assholes have been wanting a war with Iran for so long.

Oct 27, 2017
msnbc-senatemavericks.png
You can't be a Senate maverick without staying in the Senate, and you can't be a maverick without actually maverick-ing. What a graphic.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
And are just covering like a motherfucker? "WE MEANT TO GET HIM HELL YEAH."
well, it being a deterrent makes no sense. they say it's because it's been planning stuff -- he's been planning stuff for years and we haven't killed him and it's like a hydra, someone else will take his place. so their reasoning already doesn't work.

it probably was an accident and they're trying to cover up that they fucked up.

access tv

Oct 25, 2017
bagdad-bob.jpg

"It was an intentional strike on hostile targets actively planning strikes on American forces."

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Hopefully this goes about as well for Donald Trump approval numbers-wise as al-Baghdadi did.

Trump tomorrow:
"Quackseem Soleofmany is DEAD."

"He died like a dog, he died like a coward."

"You know, if you read my book, there was a book just before the World Trade Center came down. And I don't get any credit for this but that's OK. I never do. But here we are. I wrote a book, a really very successful book and in that book about a year before the World Trade Center was blown up, I said there is somebody named Osama bin Laden, you better kill him or take him out, something to that effect, he's big trouble. Now, I wasn't in government. I was building buildings and doing what I did but I always found it fascinating. But I saw this man, tall, handsome, very charismatic making horrible statements about wanting to destroy our country. And I'm writing a book. I think I wrote 12 books. All did very well. And I'm writing a book, World Trade Center had not come down. I think it was about, if you check it was a year before the World Trade Center came down. And nobody heard of Quackseem. And no one heard of Osama bin Laden until really the World Trade Center. But about a year, a year and a half before the World Trade Center, before the book came out, I was talking about Osama bin Laden, you have to kill him, you have to take him out. Nobody listened to me. And to this day I get people coming up to me and they said you know what, one of the most amazing things I've seen about you is that you predicted that Osama bin Laden had to be killed before he knocked down the World Trade Center. It's true. Most of the press doesn't want to write that but it is true. If you go back and look at my book, I think it's 'The America We Deserve.' I made a prediction — let's put it this way, if they would have listened to me, a lot of things would have been different."

You know he'll repeat that last one

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
well, it being a deterrent makes no sense. they say it's because it's been planning stuff -- he's been planning stuff for years and we haven't killed him and it's like a hydra, someone else will take his place. so their reasoning already doesn't work.

it probably was an accident and they're trying to cover up that they fucked up.
Well, the leaks will tell us within a week, probably.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
For people panicking:

This isn't WWIII
This isn't going to lead to nuclear war

What it will lead to is an increased timetable where the US gets the hell out of dodge that is the Middle East. Now, that's isn't the worse thing in the world; the US shale revolution removed a massive reason for us having a stake in that region anyway.

What sucks is that US relations with Middle East nations is going to be in the toilet for a long time.
As if this wasn't going to be the outcome given the past 45 years of US intervention in the Middle East.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
There probably wouldn't be a hot war, but it wouldn't be surprising for Iran to use their proxies to respond. There was a rocket attack that killed a contractor and wounded other personnel and the embassy protest. It sounds like a massive overreaction by the US honestly. I don't know who the did the rocket attack, but if it was Iranian backed groups, then I would expect more attacks on the US personnel .

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For people panicking:

This isn't WWIII
This isn't going to lead to nuclear war

What it will lead to is an increased timetable where the US gets the hell out of dodge that is the Middle East. Now, that's isn't the worse thing in the world; the US shale revolution removed a massive reason for us having a stake in that region anyway.

What sucks is that US relations with Middle East nations is going to be in the toilet for a long time.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps this is missing the forest for the trees, but did we get permission warn Iraq about taking military action in their country? Because it's one thing to do air strikes in countries in turmoil or at war, I think it's an entirely nother thing to do it in an allies backyard like we own the place.

I agree, Iran won't declare war on us; depending on relations in the region, I might use this as an excuse to invade Iraq if I were them.

Very curious to see the Iraqi response if this was unilateral.

Edit: oh yeah I don't see who this action would be authorized by any AUMF we have currently.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As if this wasn't going to be the outcome given the past 45 years of US intervention in the Middle East.
Mostly to keep the oil flowing, for us and out allies to fight the cold war. Thanks to advancements at home, energy isn't an issue for the US. What little we can't get at home we have in our own hemisphere. Even with the US out of the region, other powers are going to try and take advantage... to their own folly. That whole region is going to be poppin soon with the coming changing of the local guard there.

Also... Go Birds!

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps this is missing the forest for the trees, but did we get permission warn Iraq about taking military action in their country? Because it's one thing to do air strikes in countries in turmoil or at war, I think it's an entirely nother thing to do it in an allies backyard like we own the place.

I agree, Iran won't declare war on us; depending on relations in the region, I might use this as an excuse to invade Iraq if I were them.

Edit: oh yeah I don't see who this action would be authorized by any AUMF we have currently.
Maybe Pelosi will add another article or seven.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

well it seems like we ready to go from a friend in a unit that starts with N but I suppose they always are. This seems a bit different though as this is a pretty chill person and what I'm hearing sounds different. They also told me some things that raised my eyebrows a couple weeks ago.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly to keep the oil flowing, for us and out allies to fight the cold war. Thanks to advancements at home, energy isn't an issue for the US. What little we can't get at home we have in our own hemisphere. Even with the US out of the region, other powers are going to try and take advantage... to their own folly. That whole region is going to be poppin soon with the coming changing of the local guard there.

Also... Go Birds!
Go Birds!

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the big defense stocks surged when Eric tweeted. As usual, these scum will keep getting away with it.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
The president has the power to declassify anything he wants to whomever he wants. No.
what I was as thinking as well.
Actually... you could probably frame it as abuse of power then. He has no justification to tell his son, unless the GOP wants to argue its cool for the president to just tell any random fuck about military action on a whim.

Yes, I realize this is weak. I'm irritated.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
You know, it'd be amazing if Trump managed to spike oil prices from this, giving him yet another square on the Jimmy Carter bingo card.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The president has the power to declassify anything he wants to whomever he wants. No.
I think there's supposed to be a procedure to follow, i.e. it's not meant as, "Oh crap I told someone I shouldn't... never mind, I declassified it for them!" Still, nothing will happen on that front, although the Chelsea comparison is apt and the right would be going ballistic if she knew while her mom was Pres.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's supposed to be a procedure to follow, i.e. it's not meant as, "Oh crap I told someone I shouldn't... never mind, I declassified it for them!" Still, nothing will happen on that front, although the Chelsea comparison is apt and the right would be going ballistic if she knew while her mom was Pres.
he doesn't, he can do it at will iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.