• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I don't watch the SOTU, especially one by Trump of course.

[say something, rising voice towards end of sentence, 35th round of applause, look around the room, smile or smirk, repeat]

I just skim the transcript later.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Trump's lawyer still have an option to call for a motion to dismiss.

With all the heat that these GOP Senators are getting, they might even do it.
I mean I'll take it
Dems had 3 days to make their case, and if the defense just wants to not even defend themselves, then 51 percent of the country for sure knows he did it

Oct 27, 2017
Hot take: if you have committee to reform SSI/SSA and you have any republicans on it, it may as well be a right wing committee and if it doesn't have disabled people on it, then eff off

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
LOL and use Schiff's words as a pretext to call for it.

Such a move would really help them with voters, I bet.

"How DARE Schiff tell us we're being threatened?! We're so not threatened that we're gonna vote to dismiss instead of putting up any defense whatsoever! Be amazed at our courage and non-complicitness!"

Oct 27, 2017
The discourse around SSI/SSA/Medicaid as it is, is genuinely infuriating and probably contributed to why I want to see the political establishment (both left and right) suffer. If giving people who can't work regularly is an actual political issue that shitheads have to hear from both side, not only does it mean capitalism is a failure, it means there is moral corruption among those deep in the weeds of american politics. It kinda makes me wanna embrace my inner tankie

almost

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

Lol @ "honest". How do people fall for any of these people's schticks.

It's fair to say Murkowski's the only one in her caucus who's earned it, who got previously disowned by the GOP machine and fought her way back in on her own merits.

She is a conservative, yes, and will oppose us most of the time, but she is at least her own person and not bought and paid for (or at least bought and paid for on her own terms and not those set by the monolith).

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Fox News: Were you telling Parnas to get rid of her?

Trump: "Well, I wouldn't have been saying that, I probably would have said—it was Rudy there, or somebody. But I make no bones about it, I want to have ambassadors—I have every right—I want ambassadors that are chosen by me."

Fox News: But Parnas might have been at a table you were at?

"Sure," Trump said.

"But you have to understand, I see thousands of people."

Goal post moving

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
MSNBC panel making Bondy sweat, suggesting parnas/fruman were being used by someone to feed the pres the option to get rid of yovanovich. Bondy somewhat gets out of it by suggesting that getting rid of a reformer like yovanovich was consistent with some people wanting to be providers to US policy to get ukraine natural gas to be less dependent on russia.

This guy.

They still trying to wriggle out of putting the finger towards Firtash? When we know about Perry's shenanigans with Naftogaz?

Sorry, don't work that way.

Exactly, 66% of people who want witnesses won't like it when they vote them down in a straight party line, and the Senators will look like accomplices to that 66%. They're upset because they got called out for what they already know they're going to do.

Exactly. They have no room to maneuver now except to conspiracy theories (the SVR/FSB/GRU stench still wafting from them), or just plain old blatant obstruction. The boats have long since ceased smoking from the burning.

It's fair to say Murkowski's the only one in her caucus who's earned it, who got previously disowned by the GOP machine and fought her way back in on her own merits.

She is a conservative, yes, and will oppose us most of the time, but she is at least her own person and not bought and paid for (or at least bought and paid for on her own terms and not those set by the monolith).

And she coulda walked herself right back out of that party too. She got elected in AK as an I once before due to her party fucking her over, she coulda done it again but chose not to. I put Tim Scott in that boat too (ie, I dont think he's criminal just a coward, which I remind him of in every call now).

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
"I see thousands of people"

if only there were some sort of, I don't know, professional body guards that could keep weird people the president doesn't want to be around from being near him. Just spitballing here.

a service of some sort.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
A reminder, our Presidential election is won on the basis of the Electoral College, and Trump won on the slimmest of margins in key swing states. Bernie, Biden, whoever the nominee is better lock those slim margins for the general. While acknowledging that if someone else had gotten Rogan's endorsement would have been savaged by Berniebros for it, everything must be placed on removing Trump, even if its getting Rogan's endorsement.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I can't wait for the moderates not to be offended by all the juvenile, disgusting things we're undoubtedly going to hear from the defense for the next 3 days.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll laugh if the Space Force ends up being Trump's most enduring thing from his presidency 50 years from now.

If a Democratic President doesn't kill it immediately in the next 2-4 years, then I could see it flying under the radar for 25-30 years until a President actually finds a real use for it after China builds a Lunar outpost or something.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm scared of putting a political bumper sticker and then someone fucking with my car
I live in the city now, so I'm not as worried. Had it on since like June and haven't had any problems.

Edit: my neighbor, an old white guy in a working class neighborhood, asked if I was the one with the Warren bumper sticker one day when I was taking my dog out. I nervously said yes, and he was like "Awesome, we're supporters too."

Kind of felt bad for assuming he was going to react negatively lol.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A reminder, our Presidential election is won on the basis of the Electoral College, and Trump won on the slimmest of margins in key swing states. Bernie, Biden, whoever the nominee is better lock those slim margins for the general. While acknowledging that if someone else had gotten Rogan's endorsement would have been savaged by Berniebros for it, everything must be placed on removing Trump, even if its getting Rogan's endorsement.

Biden has a history of capitulating to Republicans, and has already signalled that his Presidency would be one where he'd seek to normalize them for basically nothing. Imagine Obama without the ability to recognize a poor deal. Of course a scenario that included Joe Biden going on JRE would create different optics. If Yas Queen, a woman with a history of diet TERF statements and friendships with infamous sexual Predators, went on? Again, different optics.

No one is wrong to say 'I'm dissapointed that Sanders cut the ad as I feel that it signal boost Joe Rogan', It's just not a justification to then say that Sanders is including transphobes in his tent.

1. He isn't changing policy and has the most pro trans platform.
2. This isn't some wholesale injection of the entire JRE listeners into the Sanders voting pool. Some were already voting for Sanders. Some might be swayed. Some will vote for Trump, some aren't voting at all, and some are voting for some other Dem Nominee.

Deplatforming doesn't work in every context nor is it always the best or only solution. The idea that we should consistently ceed territory without a fight, to retreat into smaller and smaller spheres, is a losing strategy. The fact that Sanders went on and managed to successfully advocate progressive ideals is a net win.

I'm not entirely sure if making the ad wasn't a mistake, but those are my 2 cents.

Last edited:

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Sharing a big tent requires including those who do not share every one of our beliefs, while always making clear that we will never compromise our values.
I love that the big tent is allowed to have transphobes now, but not anyone who doesn't think M4A as proposed is feasible, or doesn't think a student debt jubilee is a good idea, or donuts and water.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's the platform of the current frontrunner?
No, I have noticed a definite trend towards being unforgiving for even the smallest of transgressions on the economic policy but complete apathy at times on the social front.

See : Warren trying to get realistic MRA done, "she's fake."

Bernie retweeting a transphobe racist demon , "you guys are overreacting we need to win."

I pay attention. Hell don't think I wasn't rolling my eyes in that thread at "Warren is terrible with racism look at the cookbook" while people were trying to downplay "planet of the apes" and legitimate concerns.

I wasn't born yesterday.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
On mobile so linking is harrrrd, but Charlotte Clymer tweeted this in response to Brie's statement.

This is a pathetic response and I'm done. It is clear the Bernie Sanders campaign does not care about holding transphobia accountable, among the many other awful things Joe Rogan has perpetuated on his program.

I am a human being and a trans person. I am not "another belief".

And that last line really drives the point home.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I have noticed a definite trend towards being unforgiving for even the smallest of transgressions on the economic policy but complete apathy at times on the social front.

See : Warren trying to get realistic MRA done, "she's fake."

Bernie retweeting a transphobe racist demon , "you guys are overreacting we need to win."

I pay attention. Hell don't think I wasn't rolling my eyes in that thread at "Warren is terrible with racism look at the cookbook" while people were trying to downplay "planet of the apes" and legitimate concerns.

I wasn't born yesterday.
None of the candidates have a stellar track record with race, in all honesty.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you've read the OT, Bernie is apparently Jesus for the AA community and Warren is a damn Republican.

Again, I have eyes. I can read what people say.
I'm not interested in defending or concerning myself with online warriors. They have no influence on reality.

online warriors would have you believe Biden is a Grand Wizard, yet he holds a comfortable support with AA voters.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
State of the Union is such in infuriating thing to watch that I absolutely refuse to watch it

absolutely refuse to watch

It's delusional babble and nothing gets done that the president says will get done unless it fucks poor people

Watching Trump crow about his acquittal will give me an aneurysm so I'm staying well clear.

Ceasefire with China was probably the canniest move all year, nobody cares that he's lost and Midwest manufacturing will be grateful.

Oct 26, 2017
It's impossible to have a big tent party without some racist, sexist, homophobes, transphobes, xenophobes, and etc slipping through the turn-styles. But if the party has fundamentally a good platform then the idea is that over-time those people will be isolated and pushed to the dark corners of the party for as long as they hold those views. Eventually those people have to conform to the party's values or leave. Some of these people evolve and become a part of the mainstream of the party, others can't handle change and flame out.

The GOP in the late 90s and early 2000s was trying to become a big tent party and be more representative while slowly rehabilitating their racist and xenophobes. That's where the whole "Compassionate Conservatism" came from and some of the party leaders recognizing they needed to reach more to Latinos and immigrants. But it failed because in the mid 2000s the Xenophobes and racists made up more than just a very small minority in this big tent. There were enough of them where elected leaders felt they had to pander to them and conservative media grifters stoked the fire even more. So instead of the big tent assimilating the fringe elements, the fringe (which was actually the majority minority of the party) took over the tent. They burnt a third of the tent so it was no longer a "big tent" for latinos and blacks and turned it into a homogenized "medium tent" where the unsavory were now a clear majority with the moderates being the fringe. And that's where today's GOP is.

I personally think the Democratic party is far more capable of having a big tent while keeping its soul. One of the primary ethos of the Democratic party is inclusion. So even if a few fringe elements get inside the tent, there's never going to be any internal rebellion where those elements take over the party. And if today's Democratic party is a bit soft on protecting trans people, I have confidence that over time they'll get it right because again the ethos is inclusion. See how the party evolved on Gay Rights the last 15-20 years.

So having a big tent is good. But it does mean it's important to keep standing up for the current values of the party and keep pushing for the party to be better tomorrow than it is today. I rather a racist or transphobe join the Democratic party because I know they'll have to renounce those views eventually if they want to have any standing in the party. If a racist / transphobe joins the Republican party, they could be a major, governor, or President holding those same views and then terrorizing the rest of the country with racist / transphobe policies.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Damage is already done in some places... Iowa in particular, and it's making Ernst at least somewhat vulnerable. Wisconsin too, to a lesser extent.
It's impossible to have a big tent party without some racist, sexist, homophobes, transphobes, xenophobes, and etc slipping through the turn-styles. But if the party has fundamentally a good platform then the idea is that over-time those people will be isolated and pushed to the dark corners of the party for as long as they hold those views. Eventually those people have to conform to the party's values or leave. Some of these people evolve and become a part of the mainstream of the party, others can't handle change and flame out.

The GOP in the late 90s and early 2000s was trying to become a big tent party and be more representative while slowly rehabilitating their racist and xenophobes. That's where the whole "Compassionate Conservatism" came from and some of the party leaders recognizing they needed to reach more to Latinos and immigrants. But it failed because in the mid 2000s the Xenophobes and racists made up more than just a very small minority in this big tent. There were enough of them where elected leaders felt they had to pander to them and conservative media grifters stoked the fire even more. So instead of the big tent assimilating the fringe elements, the fringe (which was actually the majority minority of the party) took over the tent. They burnt a third of the tent so it was no longer a "big tent" for latinos and blacks and turned it into a homogenized "medium tent" where the unsavory were now a clear majority with the moderates being the fringe. And that's where today's GOP is.

I personally think the Democratic party is far more capable of having a big tent while keeping its soul. One of the primary ethos of the Democratic party is inclusion. So even if a few fringe elements get inside the tent, there's never going to be any internal rebellion where those elements take over the party. And if today's Democratic party is a bit soft on protecting trans people, I have confidence that over time they'll get it right because again the ethos is inclusion. See how the party evolved on Gay Rights the last 15-20 years.

So having a big tent is good. But it does mean it's important to keep standing up for the current values of the party and keep pushing for the party to be better tomorrow than it is today. I rather a racist or transphobe join the Democratic party because I know they'll have to renounce those views eventually if they want to have any standing in the party. If a racist / transphobe joins the Republican party, they could be a major, governor, or President holding those same views and then terrorizing the rest of the country with racist / transphobe policies.
A big tent can't keep everyone out, but there are way more former D regular rust belt votes, young progressives, and minority outreach to do to find votes than there are racist shits, transphobes, and literal nazis. They can actually help contribute to the party, as a bonus!

Oct 25, 2017
NYT/Siena - Iowa
Bernie 25%
Pete 18%
Biden 17%
Warren 15%
Klob 8%

If the 2020 U.S. presidential election were held today, who would you vote for?
Trump 45%
Buttigieg 44%

Trump 46%
Biden 44%

Trump 46%
Klobuchar 41%

Trump 48%
Sanders 42%

Trump 47%
Bloomberg 39%

----
Where Klob's supporters will go -
Ms. Klobuchar's supporters could play the most crucial role, though, should she fail to achieve 15 percent in most precincts. When voters were asked whom they would support if they were left with only four choices — Mr. Sanders, Mr. Buttigieg, Mr. Biden and Ms. Warren — Mr. Biden was the overwhelming favorite of Ms. Klobuchar's backers. He received 55 percent of them in this scenario while Ms. Warren received 18 percent.

Bernie's strengths -
Mr. Sanders leads with Iowa voters under 30, taking 40 percent of that bloc, which is more than double his nearest competitor in the demographic. But he is winning only 9 percent among voters 65 and older. At the same time, Mr. Biden is capturing 32 percent of the vote among those over 65 but receiving just 10 among the youngest Iowa caucusgoers.

Mr. Sanders's advantage owes largely to voters who align with his progressive agenda: 43 percent of caucusgoers who call themselves "very liberal" are supporting his bid, well above the next closest candidate.

At the same time, those voters who are closer to the political center are split. Among moderate or conservative caucusgoers, 25 percent are backing Mr. Biden, 21 percent are for Mr. Buttigieg and 12 percent are with Ms. Klobuchar. Among those who say they are "somewhat conservative," Ms. Klobuchar garners 28 percent, Mr. Buttigieg 17 percent and Mr. Biden 15 percent.

Why Warren fell -
And while Ms. Warren's support fell across nearly all groups in the poll, her decline was particularly pronounced among young voters. Just 16 percent of 18- to 29-year-olds supported her in the poll, down from 38 percent in October.

Ms. Warren has also been trying to quell concerns about her sweeping agenda — particularly "Medicare for all" — and its impact on the general election. Those efforts appear to have hurt her with some voters here. The poll showed that only 18 percent of likely caucusgoers think she would be best at improving health care — compared to 32 percent for Mr. Sanders.

Last edited:

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
NYT/Siena - Iowa
Bernie 25%
Pete 18%
Biden 17%
Warren 15%
Klob 8%

If the 2020 U.S. presidential election were held today, who would you vote for?
Trump 45%
Buttigieg 44%

Trump 46%
Biden 44%

Trump 46%
Klobuchar 41%

Trump 48%
Sanders 42%

Trump 47%
Bloomberg 39%
Those H2H numbers are are annoyingly close but not surprising after 2018. Gonna guess any of them will do better than Hillary.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Bernie coming in first and Buttigieg in second would be the best possible result for me. Hopefully it would disincentivise Biden voters enough to give Bernie more of a shot in states where it's reasonably close, like Nevada. And reduce Biden's lead in states where he's dominating. I would be happy if the final results mirrored that poll. Fingers crossed. Minus Klobuchar shenanigans.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we've had enough polls that it's safe to say Bernie has momentum in Iowa...

Status
Not open for further replies.