• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really

The averages right now in Iowa per 538 are:

Bernie: 20.2
Biden: 20.1
Pete: 17.6
Warren: 15.9

A 3 point bump would essentially put her a point behind Bernie and Biden.

the only reason it's not sanders leading is because those 2 terrible polls are included in the aggregate.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
just go with the aggregate and take it for what it is

also sanders is leading

Everyone here all agreed that the polls were off. That said they showed positive movement for Sanders. As an example, one of them had Sanders at 9 in their previous poll at a time when his average was near 20.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see if this moves things around. The NYT endorsement did nothing. Des Moines did nothing for Clinton in 2016. I don't think the needle moves.

I feel like Warren might even be down in the next DSR poll but maybe not. If she's able to create comanding momentum that's good too. Warren or Sanders winning Iowa is alright but Elizabeth needs to prove she can create an electoral alliance beyond white people.

Yeah, that happens when you have seven candidates you running abou 5% you know?

He has a less white demographic this time around and decisive lead with Hispanics, who broke for Clinton mostly in 2016.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone here all agreed that the polls were off. That said they showed positive movement for Sanders. As an example, one of them had Sanders at 9 in their previous poll at a time when his average was near 20.

Again -- don't make excuses for an aggregate you don't like. Just take it for what it is. 538's been doing this for a while and has been pretty good.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see if this moves things around. The NYT endorsement did nothing. Des Moines did nothing for Clinton in 2016. I don't think the needle moves.

I feel like Warren might even be down in the next DSR poll but maybe not. If she's able to create comanding momentum that's good too. Warren or Sanders winning Iowa is alright but Elizabeth needs to prove she can create an electoral alliance beyond white people.

Yeah, that happens when you have seven candidates you running abou 5% you know?

He has a less white demographic this time around and decisive lead with Hispanics, who broke for Clinton mostly in 2016.
Didn't the nytimes thing happen just the other day?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again -- don't make excuses for an aggregate you don't like. Just take it for what it is. 538's been doing this for a while and has been pretty good.

Again, I accept the aggregate, but even Nate will tell you —and has in the past— that a few polls at a certain time can make the aggregator do funky things. Nate has even talked about how the aggregator was funky a few weeks back due to the lack of sufficient polling at state level.

The weighting from those pollsters will be rectified with time as they have more polls to judge them by.

Last edited:

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
How many polls have actually been conducted in full since the NYT endorsement? Sort of early to say it "did nothing" and this seems like wishcasting.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same coalition of voters.
Young, very liberal. (9% of voters over 65)
He won young people of colour last time around.
What he doesn't have is the advantage of being a man against a woman.
And that woman being Hillary Clinton.

So the lack of caucuses that amplify (loud) young, very liberal people, doesn't help.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Young, very liberal.
Except this time in a more fractured field it's much more possible he could win. Cohn had a good article about this the other day and dismissing it outright at this point seems fairly foolish.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Young, very liberal.
This is the fundamental weakness of the campaign that I see- I can't see him beating Biden heads up because Biden will be far more attractive to the conservative, predominantly white voters he was winning on top of his core ideological fanbase. The primary going heads up would be awful for him.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone concerned for the future we're leaving young people, I am going to vote for the person they support.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Except this time in a more fractured field it's much more possible he could win. Cohn had a good article about this the other day and dismissing it outright at this point seems fairly foolish.
The most viable fracture is Warren / Sanders though.

I mean maybe Steyer and Bloomberg continue on after Iowa. I don't expect so.

Buttigieg basically tanks after Iowa. As does Amy.

This vote does not coalesce to Sanders.

Even in the Siena poll, 55% would rather have a more moderate candidate.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the nightmare scenario with Bernie is that he wins the nomination and then has another heart attack before the election. I mean he's 78 with a recent heart attack.

Deleted member 2426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many polls have actually been conducted in full since the NYT endorsement? Sort of early to say it "did nothing" and this seems like wishcasting.
Didn't the nytimes thing happen just the other day?

Emerson polled after the endorsement, Monmouth 1/16 - 1/20 (endorsement happened 1/19). She was +1 in E and -3 in M. The Economist also polled after the endorsement and she was +3 but they don't count hihi.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The most viable fracture is Warren / Sanders though.

I mean maybe Steyer and Bloomberg continue on after Iowa. I don't expect so.

Buttigieg basically tanks after Iowa. As does Amy.

This vote does not coalesce to Sanders.

Even in the Siena poll, 55% would rather have a more moderate candidate.

I feel like this article does a good job explaining the possibility of him winning. It's not a large one, but it's certainly there and larger than 2016, and dismissing it seems silly.

ValiantChaos

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

He will do better against Biden with AAs and Latino voters vs Hillary but it remains to be seen if it will be by enough of a margin to win. We will find out in about a month after the first 4.

Deleted member 2426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, it potentially did move the needle. lol.

I panicked when it clicked to me that The Economist poll happened right after the endorsement lol.

Anyyyyyyyyway, Warren dropping in Iowa comes from diminishing numbers with young people, and I pretty much doubt they will be sensible to a DMR hex endorsement.

She's adorable ugh. Alaska!

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I panicked when it clicked to me that The Economist poll happened right after the endorsement lol.

Anyyyyyyyyway, Warren dropping in Iowa comes from diminishing numbers with young people, and I pretty much doubt they will be sensible to a DMR hex endorsement.

She's adorable ugh. Alaska!
Or the most likely people she could pick up are col+ whites from Pete who would care about endorsements.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
This assumes that said generation doesn't take as its lesson, "Even Bernie was a fraud because he didn't end debt, so voting doesn't matter anyway because politicians just let you down"
I mean, I feel like it's going to happen and that's one of my frustrations. Look at the reaction towards Warren for having the audacity to actually announce an implementation strategy for M4A.

Status
Not open for further replies.