• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have an analysis how a recession would effect the 2020 election? I'm starting to think it might be real possibility because of the Wuhan Coronavirus. Hyundai and Nintendo have already been effected by the economic slowdown in China and it doesn't look like the situation is going to be improving anytime soon.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Keith Ellison the deputy chair of the DNC? I would hope he would prevent fuckery against Bernie.

Ryuuroden

Oct 25, 2017
So, let me make sure I have this all straight, because I am old and I have a lot of kids and they literally drain your brain power:

The DNC decided to listen to Bernie's supporters and make the Iowa caucus more transparent by agreeing, without opposition, to the rule change to make it a requirement that the IDP report the raw vote totals before and after realignment. At the same time, or relatively shortly thereafter, the DNC also did : waves arms magically : so that Pete would not become the DNC Chair. They loved their boy Pete so much they had to stop him from being chair. The Iowa Democratic Party decided to hire someone who had no business developing an app to develop an app specifically so they could somehow rig the results against Bernie Sanders. On caucus night, the IDP/DNC decided to destroy their own reputation, have literal hundreds of caucus sites fuck up, and refuse to report results until such time as they could rig this in favor of Pete. So, instead of outright rigging it for Pete, and not Biden who most of THE ESTABLISHMENT wants, they decide to throw the whole thing into chaos. Literally ruining Iowa's reputation and making it so it is very, very unlikely this dumbass state will ever go first again. Then, after days of confusion, they go OH SHIT THE RIGGING WE DID WASN'T ENOUGH, so now we need Tom Perez to come in and say that the extremely esoteric rules that we used to allocate Satellite Caucus results (a thing we've never, ever done before on top of never having to report popular vote totals) are possibly wrong. And all of this has gone off without a hitch, because Democrats are so good at literally everything, we can manage to rig a caucus with a literal paper trail. Because that totally sounds like Democrats. When I think "Democrat" I think "highly competent."

you forgot reptilians, surely reptilians were involved.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Keith Ellison the deputy chair of the DNC? I would hope he would prevent fuckery against Bernie.
It was only ever a symbolic position. He had no meaningful role in leadership and Perez largely cleaned house of any Ellison-supporting members in leadership positions in the first year. Ellison ultimately resigned from the position. He won an election to be Minnesota's Attorney General in 2019.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
The enemy is simultaneously a complete fuck-up at everything and also running the world for the express purpose of fucking you over.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
538 updated their primary predictor:

projects.fivethirtyeight.com

Who Will Win The 2020 Democratic Primary?

FiveThirtyEight's polls and forecast for the 2020 Democratic presidential primary election.

screenshot2020-02-06a3zkb8.png
I still have no idea how one result could change things that damn much. Didn't they even admit yesterday that this could be an over-reaction without further data? I'm still hyped for No one, personally.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
The enemy is simultaneously a complete fuck-up at everything and also running the world for the express purpose of fucking you over.
I mean that's the GOP in large part. They largely run things poorly and with the express desire to piss off the other side. Again, projection is the core part of the game.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have an analysis how a recession would effect the 2020 election? I'm starting to think it might be real possibility because of the Wuhan Coronavirus. Hyundai and Nintendo have already been effected by the economic slowdown in China and it doesn't look like the situation is going to be improving anytime soon.

A general rule of thumb is that the economy doing poorly is bad for the sitting president. I don't have any insights beyond that.

Slader166

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So, let me make sure I have this all straight, because I am old and I have a lot of kids and they literally drain your brain power:

The DNC decided to listen to Bernie's supporters and make the Iowa caucus more transparent by agreeing, without opposition, to the rule change to make it a requirement that the IDP report the raw vote totals before and after realignment. At the same time, or relatively shortly thereafter, the DNC also did : waves arms magically : so that Pete would not become the DNC Chair. They loved their boy Pete so much they had to stop him from being chair. The Iowa Democratic Party decided to hire someone who had no business developing an app to develop an app specifically so they could somehow rig the results against Bernie Sanders. On caucus night, the IDP/DNC decided to destroy their own reputation, have literal hundreds of caucus sites fuck up, and refuse to report results until such time as they could rig this in favor of Pete. So, instead of outright rigging it for Pete, and not Biden who most of THE ESTABLISHMENT wants, they decide to throw the whole thing into chaos. Literally ruining Iowa's reputation and making it so it is very, very unlikely this dumbass state will ever go first again. Then, after days of confusion, they go OH SHIT THE RIGGING WE DID WASN'T ENOUGH, so now we need Tom Perez to come in and say that the extremely esoteric rules that we used to allocate Satellite Caucus results (a thing we've never, ever done before on top of never having to report popular vote totals) are possibly wrong. And all of this has gone off without a hitch, because Democrats are so good at literally everything, we can manage to rig a caucus with a literal paper trail. Because that totally sounds like Democrats. When I think "Democrat" I think "highly competent."
The DNC purposely rigged the caucus against Bernie in the hopes that he'd win anyway, thus taking away Pete's momentum. All of this was done so THE ESTABLISHMENT could put in the guy they really wanted all along, Mike Bloomberg.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have no idea how one result could change things that damn much. Didn't they even admit yesterday that this could be an over-reaction without further data? I'm still hyped for No one, personally.

If you have a model projected for 50 states, and you adjust for the first one.... it's gonna be volatile!

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

lmao

I think you got it!

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, it all depends on if they let a recession take place. There are ways to prop up the economy.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Remember their House model in 2018 that said Republicans were favored to hold the House after only a handful of results?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is any of the incompetence seen so far really that unusual or in need of a special explanation? An app didn't work and the phones couldn't handle the influx of people calling. Not really an unprecedented or unique situation all things considered.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Why the fuck was Adam banned? Not for this, surely?

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Is any of the incompetence seen so far really that unusual or in need of a special explanation? An app didn't work and the phones couldn't handle the influx of people calling. Not really an unprecedented or unique situation all things considered.
Not to mention the show is mostly being run by volunteers and the phone number was posted on 4chan.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I am just beyond aggravated that it's 2020, the beginning of the race to finally take down Trump, and there are still many people online unironically posting about nefarious DNC conspiracies to not just rig votes but intentionally lose the election against Trump. For the past 3 years, millions of Democrats -- voters, staffers, volunteers, activists, and yes even party leaders like Tom Perez -- have worked their asses off to get Democrats elected up and down the ballot and chip away at Republican control of Washington. These efforts have been largely successful! Democrats have been winning a lot since 2016! In fact, this is exactly why the Iowa cock-up is so infuriating, because it flies directly in the face of all the hard mobilizing and organizing and GOTV-ing and winning that Democrats have been doing since Trump was elected.

The bullshit conspiracy mongering does exactly what said conspiracy peddlers believe the DNC is doing: it discourages people from wanting to get involved. It's shitty enough that so many people poured their lives into this caucus only for a couple really benign fuck-ups (literally 4channers clogging the call center lines with prank calls!) to stomp all over their work. Attributing it all to sinister behind-the-scenes motives doesn't improve the situation at all and in fact makes it appreciably worse.

And notably, while Biden's campaign tried disputing the results and Pete's campaign put in a complaint re: satellite caucus SDEs, Bernie Sanders has not engaged in any of this shit! So maybe let's take a cue from that.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Everybody loves Mittens:

David Mandel @DavidHMandel

August 2015, @MittRomney & @AnnRomney came to the #veep writers room. They told great stories & he spoke honestly about losing the election (season 6). We all liked him, & yesterday when Romney became the only Republican brave enough to vote for impeachment, I liked him even more

2mtTv6R.jpg

3:04 PM - Feb 6, 2020 · Los Angeles, CA

This is known. She and the creators have been telling stories of Romney in the writing room for years. (He wasn't the only elected official to collaborate though, but possibly only R).

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
While it is extremely unusual and does need a special explanation, if you're really asking if there is any malice behind the incompetence then no. But a full rundown of what went wrong, why it went wrong, how it went wrong, where it went wrong, and who's to blame, is necessary. This was absolutely unprecedented and unique.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
WTF at people making threats over which candidate you support ... and at all of this conspiratorial bullshit. Is this really what we've come to? The left eroding into cult of personality anti-intellectualism?

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie Won in Iowa and I'm really excited to see him continue the winning streak in NH and Nevada.

It's all going to happen!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call this mess benign or inconsequential. This is a very important point in the election and stakes are very high... you shouldn't mess this one up. That is the price you have to pay for being first.

Iowa rightfully deserves to be taken out of first spot and have its caucuses abolished. This is how bad this fuck up was. Anytime the results of an election comes into question or the process is questioned... that's a bad look and there are no boogey Republicans to blame this time around. No one should hand wave this mess away, it should be shat on until there are sweeping changes promised and full disclosure is made as to the reasons for the mess ups.

The conspiracy theorists definitely need to pipe down though. Not everyone is trying to get your guy.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a recession happening while the guy who is running off of union + federal jobs guarantee program probably wouldn't hurt Bernie

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WTF at people making threats over which candidate you support ... and at all of this conspiratorial bullshit. Is this really what we've come to? The left eroding into cult of personality anti-intellectualism?

voter affect will only ever be as strong as their attitudes about the political institutions they're supposed to organize around.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this is just mass incompetence, because the Dems have proven over and over they are masters at incompetence, but you can't REALLY be surprised when this shit show happens right after we've had article after article in the lead up to Iowa about establishment figures wanting to try to stop Bernie.

It's a perfect storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.