• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this is just mass incompetence, because the Dems have proven over and over they are masters at incompetence, but you can't REALLY be surprised when this shit show happens right after we've had article after article in the lead up to Iowa about establishment figures wanting to try to stop Bernie.

It's a perfect storm.

Exactly.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this is just mass incompetence, because the Dems have proven over and over they are masters at incompetence, but you can't REALLY be surprised when this shit show happens right after we've had article after article in the lead up to Iowa about establishment figures wanting to try to stop Bernie.

It's a perfect storm.
It was already bad. But why did Tom Perez just today decide to make it bigger + dumber?

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Is it bannable to posit the effects of religious, racial and generational attitudes towards homosexuality will negatively impact a gay candidate...?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought older black voters and how religious they are and their feelings on gay candidates were all pretty well documented and understood as a characteristic of that specific electorate. That's not a judgment...it's literally working off the data.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it bannable to posit the effects of religious, racial and generational attitudes towards homosexuality will negatively impact a gay candidate...?

Gotta be a little deeper on it I think. Like pointing out that old people have more negative views towards homosexuality. And that a vast majority of old Dems in the South aren't white....

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I thought older black voters and how religious they are and their feelings on gay candidates were all pretty well documented and understood as a characteristic of that specific electorate. That's not a judgment...it's literally working off the data.
I'm scared to death to litigate this. Haven't we seen those generic "could you support?" polls broken down by race before?

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like tons of people have made similar posts to that adam one in here before. It's not exactly something that hasn't been discussed before.

Slader166

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Honestly, that was posted on Tuesday, so it kinda seems like someone disliked Adam's latest post and tried to find something to get him banned over.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We had a fairly prominent thread not too long ago about how its engendering racist stereotypes to say that Pete Buttiegeg isn't getting the black votes because he is gay (and not because of his record actual regarding race in his own time as mayor or lack of name recognition).

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Is any of the incompetence seen so far really that unusual or in need of a special explanation? An app didn't work and the phones couldn't handle the influx of people calling. Not really an unprecedented or unique situation all things considered.
and the new rules this year are leading to confusion in how some results are tallied and the greater transparency is shining a light on all sorts of little errors that surely always existed in the process but went unnoticed because they only reported the final SDEs

and.... socially conservative religious people probably won't want to vote for a gay man. the thing is socially conservative religious black people are still democrats by and large. socially conservative religious white people usually just vote republican. I don't think it's the major reason why pete isn't catching on with black people but it's unfortunately probably -a- factor with some.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singling out a specific racial group of Americans and saying, "Older black voters are going to have more issues about the gay than some of the older white voters" is actually super shitty and unfair. Takes me back to the Prop 8 scapegoating. Pete's issues with black voters are his record as mayor, and his presentation as a candidate, I'm sorry. And trying to pass those (IMO legitimate!) issues off as "well homophobia is more of an issue among older blacks than older whites", I mean, we should be long past that...

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
re: adam
Older black voters are going to have more issues about the gay than some of the older white voters
This is the problem with the post. The amount of social conservatism on this type of stuff isn't really any significantly different depending on race and it's pretty messed up to say that. The actual difference is that there are more socially conservative black Dems relative to black Dems as a whole compared to socially conservative white Dems relative to white Dems as a whole because the socially conservative white voters are mostly just going to vote Republican. It's a proportionality thing due to realignment post-civil rights, not a cultural thing.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Gotta be a little deeper on it I think. Like pointing out that old people have more negative views towards homosexuality. And that a vast majority of old Dems in the South aren't white....
Given how hard you have to go out of your way to earn yourself a month ban on the gaming side? Yeah. (Sorry mods, I know you really dislike this sort of stuff)

There are racial issues Pete would have to deal with more unique to him. That's a factual statement, even if it's an uncomfortable truth. It's no different than saying Obama faced issues from blue dog dems, who are largely white. But, yeah, they're not tied specifically to any locations or ages per say.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
We had a fairly prominent thread not too long ago about how its engendering racist stereotypes to say that Pete Buttiegeg isn't getting the black votes because he is gay (and not because of his record actual regarding race in his own time as mayor or lack of name recognition).
I mean it can be both.
Stop and Frisk Bloomberg seems to be doing okay. Joe Crime Bill Biden too.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017

This is the problem with the post. The amount of social conservatism on this type of stuff isn't really any significantly different depending on race and it's pretty messed up to say that. The actual difference is that there are more socially conservative black Dems relative to black Dems as a whole compared to socially conservative white Dems relative to white Dems as a whole because the socially conservative white Dems are mostly just going to vote Republican. It's a proportionality thing due to realignment post-civil rights, not a cultural thing.
ehh in the very next sentence it's clear he's talking about the Democratic electorate specifically:

That's the thing, right. Older black voters are going to have more issues about the gay than some of the older white voters. That's a product of older black voters being very, very concentrated in the south, being more religious than their white Dem counter parts, etc.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
explaining how age, religion, and geographic location explain a racial group's preference is the exact opposite of reinforcing racial stereotypes, isn't it?

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
I am just beyond aggravated that it's 2020, the beginning of the race to finally take down Trump, and there are still many people online unironically posting about nefarious DNC conspiracies to not just rig votes but intentionally lose the election against Trump. For the past 3 years, millions of Democrats -- voters, staffers, volunteers, activists, and yes even party leaders like Tom Perez -- have worked their asses off to get Democrats elected up and down the ballot and chip away at Republican control of Washington. These efforts have been largely successful! Democrats have been winning a lot since 2016! In fact, this is exactly why the Iowa cock-up is so infuriating, because it flies directly in the face of all the hard mobilizing and organizing and GOTV-ing and winning that Democrats have been doing since Trump was elected.

The bullshit conspiracy mongering does exactly what said conspiracy peddlers believe the DNC is doing: it discourages people from wanting to get involved. It's shitty enough that so many people poured their lives into this caucus only for a couple really benign fuck-ups (literally 4channers clogging the call center lines with prank calls!) to stomp all over their work. Attributing it all to sinister behind-the-scenes motives doesn't improve the situation at all and in fact makes it appreciably worse.

And notably, while Biden's campaign tried disputing the results and Pete's campaign put in a complaint re: satellite caucus SDEs, Bernie Sanders has not engaged in any of this shit! So maybe let's take a cue from that.

High five.

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
Singling out a specific racial group of Americans and saying, "Older black voters are going to have more issues about the gay than some of the older white voters" is actually super shitty and unfair. Takes me back to the Prop 8 scapegoating. Pete's issues with black voters are his record as mayor, and his presentation as a candidate, I'm sorry. And trying to pass those (IMO legitimate!) issues off as "well homophobia is more of an issue among older blacks than older whites", I mean, we should be long past that...
As a Blackman with a large portion of his family in or from that south. It's not a shitty thing to say. Hell it's scary accurate!

We black folk are not a monolith, But we have many blind spots as a community. Homosexuality is one of them. The younger generation seem to be a bit more accepting then their older counterparts though. The ban is bullshit.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Melanie Zanona @MZanona

Rep. Liz Cheney, the No. 3 House Republican, says even tho she disagrees w/ Romney's impeachment vote, he is a "real value for us to have in the Senate."

"Senator Romney is a good and honorable man. I don't think anybody ought to question his faith," she said.

4:13 PM - Feb 6, 2020

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm not sure I understand why black people are more likely to be homophobic than white people, and my understanding in the wake of the same discourse roughly a decade ago in the wake of Cali Prop 8 is that a lot of it is trumped-up bullshit. But I suspect we won't be getting clarification from Adam on that for a while

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Tom Perez is going to be on the Rachal Maddow show today as well. Not enough he jumps into this shit without thinking, but now he's probably going to defend himself poorly on Maddow.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

Melanie Zanona @MZanona

Rep. Liz Cheney, the No. 3 House Republican, says even tho she disagrees w/ Romney's impeachment vote, he is a "real value for us to have in the Senate."

"Senator Romney is a good and honorable man. I don't think anybody ought to question his faith," she said.

4:13 PM - Feb 6, 2020

The way these Republicans behave makes me sick. She knows Trump is wrong but all she can do is make a statement without ever stepping out of line. These people have no spine, no moral values, etc.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting.
You'd think that it is a function of religion.
And the explanation that white Christian bigots have the GOP to go to makes sense, in terms of concentrating black Christian bigots into the Democratic electorate, or I guess non-voting.

Views on homosexuality are about the same with black and white Christians.

BUTT...
Non-religious black views on homosexuality are actually another story.
Non-religious blacks indicate more negative views on homosexuality than all other non-religious racial groups.

Big props to the Latinx and Asian Christian community though compared to both white and black Christians.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
Interesting.
And the explanation that white Christian bigots have the GOP to go to makes sense, in terms of concentrating black Christian bigots into the Democratic electorate, or I guess non-voting.

BUTT...
Non-religious blacks indicate more negative views on homosexuality than all other non-religious racial groups.

Big props to the Latinx and Asian Christian community though compared to both white and black Christians.

Thanks for these. Also, ban all kids from flying. Thank you for your platform.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I understand why black people are more likely to be homophobic than white people, and my understanding in the wake of the same discourse roughly a decade ago in the wake of Cali Prop 8 is that a lot of it is trumped-up bullshit. But I suspect we won't be getting clarification from Adam on that for a while

I think it's an important distinction to make that (especially older) black people may be more religious and thus more socially conservative on some specific issues than white/other democrats, not white people in general. If that's incorrect or controversial than I guess I'm wrong, but as someone who's always lived in a diverse part of the country I've certainly always took it for granted just from my own experience.

Interesting.

BUTT...

I didn't know that

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ehh in the very next sentence it's clear he's talking about the Democratic electorate specifically:
It's possible that was the intent- I just had to go fix "white Dems" to "white voters" in the italicized section myself. You gotta be clear on that though because the conversation and context of one of those comparisons vs the other are radically different.
Interesting.

BUTT...

IIRC this correlates heavily with class proportionality as well which would fit with the non-reglious stuff.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Robert Costa @costareports

WH urges its surrogates to go after Romney... https://twitter.com/AshleyRParker/status/1225524503842828318 …

4:19 PM - Feb 6, 2020

Ashley Parker @AshleyRParker

The WH is now sending around anti-Romney talking points, including:
•Romney's decision was unsurprising as this display of self-serving political expedience has come to define his career.
•Romney has a long history of flip-flopping, with no sign of principles to be found.​

3:59 PM - Feb 6, 2020

Jan 25:

"CBS News reported last night that a Trump confidant said that key senators were warned, 'Vote against the president and your head will be on a pike,'" Schiff said. "Now, I don't know if that's true."
He equated his "head on a pike' comment to how kings treated those considered traitors to their country.
Schiff said he was struck by the irony, adding "We're talking about a president who would make himself a monarch."
His comment drew immediate blowback from Republicans.
Maine Sen. Susan Collins, a key moderate Republican who could be a crucial swing vote in the impeachment fight, broke her vow of silence on the floor.
"That's not true," Collins said several times from her seat, loudly enough to be overheard by reporters sitting in the upper level of the chamber.
She was also seen shaking her head several times in apparent frustration at the his comments.
"Not only have I never heard the 'head on the pike' line, but also I know of no Republican senator who has been threatened in any way by anyone in the administration," she later told reporters.
Another key potential swing vote, Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, also hit back at Schiff for his rhetoric, calling it "unnecessary."

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is the problem with the post. The amount of social conservatism on this type of stuff isn't really any significantly different depending on race and it's pretty messed up to say that. The actual difference is that there are more socially conservative black Dems relative to black Dems as a whole compared to socially conservative white Dems relative to white Dems as a whole because the socially conservative white voters are mostly just going to vote Republican. It's a proportionality thing due to realignment post-civil rights, not a cultural thing.

This is a good take on it and I agree. There just aren't socially conservative white voters going for Democrats in any great number. ALL black voters (well, nearly all, 90+%) are clustered under the Democratic Party. It's a matter of proportionality. And to blame Pete's black support, which polls in the margin of error of zero, on black homophobia... that's not ok.

BUTT...

Non-religious black numbers are fairly insignificant. Like 2-3% total atheist and agnostic. Too few to draw much conclusion from.

less

Oct 25, 2017

Robert Costa @costareports

WH urges its surrogates to go after Romney... https://twitter.com/AshleyRParker/status/1225524503842828318 …

4:19 PM - Feb 6, 2020

Ashley Parker @AshleyRParker

The WH is now sending around anti-Romney talking points, including:
•Romney's decision was unsurprising as this display of self-serving political expedience has come to define his career.
•Romney has a long history of flip-flopping, with no sign of principles to be found.

3:59 PM - Feb 6, 2020

Jan 25:

"CBS News reported last night that a Trump confidant said that key senators were warned, 'Vote against the president and your head will be on a pike,'" Schiff said. "Now, I don't know if that's true."
He equated his "head on a pike' comment to how kings treated those considered traitors to their country.
Schiff said he was struck by the irony, adding "We're talking about a president who would make himself a monarch."
His comment drew immediate blowback from Republicans.
Maine Sen. Susan Collins, a key moderate Republican who could be a crucial swing vote in the impeachment fight, broke her vow of silence on the floor.
"That's not true," Collins said several times from her seat, loudly enough to be overheard by reporters sitting in the upper level of the chamber.
She was also seen shaking her head several times in apparent frustration at the his comments.
"Not only have I never heard the 'head on the pike' line, but also I know of no Republican senator who has been threatened in any way by anyone in the administration," she later told reporters.
Another key potential swing vote, Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, also hit back at Schiff for his rhetoric, calling it "unnecessary."

Pathetic little fuckers. I'm amazed that they can't control this fucker. Everyone knows that he is screwed and fucked the moment he isn't President so you would think that they could threaten the fuck out of him with mutually assured destruction but nope. Cowards the lot of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.