• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
Jason Johnson spitting some truth of MSNBC right now re: talking about back voters and not talking to them. I hope they upload the clip.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Bloomberg attempting to buy the Democratic nomination coupled with Warren faltering has pushed me fully into Bernie's camp. Barring a Warren comeback I will vote for Bernie on Super Tuesday.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Warren's campaign is (sadly) dead. She's basically still in due to donors. I think the interesting thing will be where her support goes. I don't think it goes to Bernie. All the folks that would, have already left.
If Forma is still in on Super Tuesday, she gets my vote. Now that Biden is doa, if she isn't in, I'll go with Bernard. Much better choice than Bloombito.

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg attempting to buy the Democratic nomination coupled with Warren faltering has pushed me fully into Bernie's camp. Barring a Warren comeback I will vote for Bernie on Super Tuesday.

This is where I am at too. I'd prefer Warren, but Bernie seems to rather clearly be the more viable candidate right now and I don't think Bloomberg should be able to just buy his way into the White House.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am in same boat. Most of the other candidates I was sort of fine with (except Gabbard blegh) with Warren on top but Bloomberg has crossed the line for me and I am going to vote for the person who has the best shot against him in this primary. This is now a "anyone but Bloomberg" primary for me.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Wall Street investors spent the fall sweating Elizabeth Warren's rise in the Democratic primary field. Now, just 10 days after the actual voting started, they are eager to write an obit for the candidacy of the industry scourge if she finishes outside the top tier in New Hampshire.
A bad night for Warren would come as good news to market participants, who view the combination of her potential to unite the party, detailed regulatory plans, and proven record of efficacy in government as a threat to stocks.
Sarah Bianchi, an analyst at research firm Evercore ISI, notes that securing policy changes through executive action, for example, "really takes a lot of sustained attention and leadership... You need sustained leadership to get the hard ones across the finish line. As she demonstrated in her time working for the Obama administration, Warren would really drive those issues through the government in a way that I think would be meaningfully different from Sanders's approach."
Sanders making Wall Street happier.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Of two minds lately with Sanders' VP options.

I think Abrams would be his best option from an electoral standpoint, she's young and popular with both the establishment and the activist base (who's heard of her, anyway), could help flip Georgia specifically.

On the flip side, Sanders-Warren would make a really great team even if there's little to no electoral benefit for choosing her. My biggest concern right now is the very distinct possibility that Bernie dies in his first term. Not to be morbid, I'm not hoping it happens, Warren would just be a very good backup option.

Also that whole thing with Warren serving as VP while running the Treasury is CRAZY but would be AWESOME. VP is hardly a real job anyway, let her flourish.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sanders making Wall Street happier.
Yeah they know that Bernie is more of an ideologue and Warren gets things done. They are definitely wiping the sweat off their brow right now. But if Bernie wins I would expect Warren to have a more direct line of communication to the WH anyway.. so be careful what you wish for.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Jason Johnson spitting some truth of MSNBC right now re: talking about back voters and not talking to them. I hope they upload the clip.
Is this something that's even concerning this early considering the candidates have been stuck in some of the whitest states in the country? They haven't campaigned in areas with any significant minority populations yet so obviously there isn't focus on them now.

It would be worrying if months from now this was still the case and the nominee was just taking the black vote for granted.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017

I think Abrams would be his best option from an electoral standpoint, could help shore up his weaknesses with African-American voters, she's young and popular with both the establishment and the activist base (who's heard of her, anyway), could help flip Georgia specifically.

On the flip side, Sanders-Warren would make a really great team even if there's little to no electoral benefit for choosing her. My biggest concern right now is the very distinct possibility that Bernie dies in his first term. Not to be morbid, I'm not hoping it happens, Warren would just be a very good backup option.

Also that whole thing with Warren serving as VP while running the Treasury is CRAZY but would be AWESOME. VP is hardly a real job anyway, let her flourish.

I doubt anything flips Georgia in 2020, but I do think Abrams is an overall good/smart VP choice. I could see Warren maybe getting a cabinet position.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they know that Bernie is more of an ideologue and Warren gets things done. They are definitely wiping the sweat off their brow right now. But if Bernie wins I would expect Warren to have a more direct line of communication to the WH anyway.. so be careful what you wish for.
If Bernie wins Warren is extremely likely to be one of his cabinet secretaries, so I don't know why anyone on Wall Street previously sweating a Warren presidency would feel like they have any easier of a time with Bernie

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

Let's be real, mainstream America isn't really ready for an all-black, all ages, all social status roundtable about the current state of the country and the candidates. Half the internet loses their damned minds whenever AOC or Omar says something remotely controversial. You could probably make a reality television series about it.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
The comments making generalizations about groups of black voters need to come to an end. Now.

We are not going to use generalizations, or "data" assembled from methodologies with their own limits and margins of error, to tell people who they are and what they value. Enough.
What is this in reference to

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
If Bernie wins Warren is extremely likely to be one of his cabinet secretaries, so I don't know why anyone on Wall Street previously sweating a Warren presidency would feel like they have any easier of a time with Bernie
People are dumb and generally don't understand politics.

That doesn't change with money.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Can we still generalise millennials, Latinos, women, men, old people, LGBT voters, white wine cave suburban housewives, and so on.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Can we still generalise millennials, Latinos, women, men, old people, LGBT voters, white wine cave suburban housewives, and so on.
994.jpg

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
The grand takeaway from this admin is that there isn't really any way to enforce the laws and rules that we have imposed on the executive. They're just words. Jackson is a good judge and she's absolutely right that the courts can't do anything here.
The grand takeaway is that the executive is going to run absolutely wild and will never be reigned in.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly confused. All "data" collected during these races come from methodologies with limits and margins of error, and this is done across all age ranges, geographical locations, race, sex, etc. So we can continue to generalize who young voters, old voters, rural white voters, latinos, etc. are and how they will vote based on this "data", but specifically not black voters?

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Official Staff Communication
The comments making generalizations about groups of black voters need to come to an end. Now.

We are not going to use generalizations, or "data" assembled from methodologies with their own limits and margins of error, to tell people who they are and what they value. Enough.
Is there specific posts in here that have already crossed a line or is this more saying you think you see where the convo was headed?

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I understand where the mods are coming from and I see the intent. It becomes difficult when the core of this thread is based on polling. I definitely see baseless generalizations that would fall under this umbrella, and for good reason. The language used in the Staff post provides an extremely narrow pathway for any discussion on the topic.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a very confusing stance being taken.
Like can we no longer discuss in, afaict, good faith things like this:
ft_2020.01.17_demdideology_02.png

And how they impact the primary?

We've talked before about why this is the case in that conservative white voters have a racist GOP to go to.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly confused. All "data" collected during these races come from methodologies with limits and margins of error, and this is done across all age ranges, geographical locations, race, sex, etc. So we can continue to generalize who young voters, old voters, rural white voters, latinos, etc. are and how they will vote based on this "data", but specifically not black voters?

I understand the confusion, but I do think it is fair/accurate to recognize that black folks in particular frequently have more attention and pressure put on them than other groups when it comes to voting, in large part due to the idea/fact that they are the backbone of the democratic voting bloc. IE, it's extra important for them to vote the "right way" or whatever. And a lot of discussion around that can turn into discussions by non-black folks of who they should vote for and why, which can very easily veer off into ugly territory.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if these fun facts have already been posted but:

Stevie Nicks was 44 and "Don't Stop Thinkin' about Tomorrow" was 15 years old when Bill Clinton used it as his campaign theme song in 1992.

Whereas Julian Casablancas is 42 and "This is It" is 19 years old now, as Bernie is taking them on as his campaign tunesters.

Really makes you think!

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a difference between "the current support is at this level" and "I think these voters should vote for this person". Understandable.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone has been talking paternalistically about "right ways" to vote. Only observationally about who groups are voting for.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand the confusion, but I do think it is fair/accurate to recognize that black folks in particular frequently have more attention and pressure put on them than other groups when it comes to voting, in large part due to the idea/fact that they are the backbone of the democratic voting bloc. IE, it's extra important for them to vote the "right way" or whatever. And a lot of discussion around that can turn into discussions by non-black folks of who they should vote for and why, which can very easily veer off into ugly territory.
Yup. It really makes me uncomfortable when I see a poster who I know is white lecturing a poster who I know is black about what black people will/should do.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I think Abrams would be his best option from an electoral standpoint, could help shore up his weaknesses with African-American voters, she's young and popular with both the establishment and the activist base (who's heard of her, anyway), could help flip Georgia specifically.

Yeah, I like the idea of expanding a VP's role. No use having Warren, with her expertise, just hanging around. Or any other future VP comparably suited. It's what they do in a few countries, already, like Germany. It would also set meaningful precedent.

Having Warren involved with the Sanders presidency's policy implementation sounds too good to pass up.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah, I like the idea of expanding a VP's role. No use having Warren, with her expertise, just hanging around. Or any other future VP comparably suited VP. It's what they do in a few countries, already, like Germany. It would also set meaningful precedent.

Having Warren involved with the Sanders presidency's policy implementation sounds too good to pass up.
Also, Warren would eat Pence's face at the debate.

I'm only about 90% sure that's a figurative statement.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly confused. All "data" collected during these races come from methodologies with limits and margins of error, and this is done across all age ranges, geographical locations, races, sex, etc. So we can continue to generalize who young voters, old voters, rural white voters, latinos, etc. are and how they will vote, but specifically not black voters?
Well, it's offensive to stereotype older black voters as being self-hating racists, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.