• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
The republican party has been the urgent problem for a large number of different communities and people outside the white rich one for a very long time, Trump is a urgent problem and it's vital we win but removing him on it's own is not going to fix the issues that continue to bring us republican presidents.
Sure and I don't disagree with that, I just take issue with saying Trump isn't an urgent problem. We can actually deal with that one in months so it makes it feel pretty urgent to me.

For that matter, I think defeating him does a heck of a lot to hasten the GOP's demise. Effective and charismatic fascist leaders aren't a dime a dozen. I'm struggling to think of another Republican who could command the cult like he can.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are actually structural issues in regards to stuff like this and I don't think the only solution is having charismatic candidates.
There are layers. If you manage to get Puerto Rico and D.C. statehood, then Republicans will have to shift to win. But they'll still win within the next 10 years, guaranteed. Voters get complacent, others build grudges, yet others pay no attention and just vote for the other guy just cause no party will reign forever and racism and religious bigotry isn't gonna be scrubbed away by M4A. The moment you run a boring candidate or one weighed down by years of attacks, they will lose.

I trust Sanders isn't going to change policy to appeal to people, but Klobuchar will. It's the moderate M.O.
So, it's basically a matter of who does it, not a matter of the action. OK.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure and I don't disagree with that, I just take issue with saying Trump isn't an urgent problem. We can actually deal with that one in months so it makes it feel pretty urgent to me.

For that matter, I think defeating him does a heck of a lot to hasten the GOP's demise. Effective and charismatic fascist leaders aren't a dime a dozen. I'm struggling to think of another Republican who could command the cult like he can.
I remember hearing that republicans electing him in the primary would be the GOP's demise.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, except Sanders has already done that multiple times in his career.

Now, it's mostly been for good reasons, but for example, Sanders changed his position on immigration to appeal to people. In the early-to-mid 2000's, Sanders seemingly changed his position on gay marriage to be for national civil rights and called gay marriage a divisive issue, to appeal to people. He changed his position on guns, to appeal to people.

Also, Klob has a 100% rating from Planned Parenthood.

If you're OK with getting anti-trans voters who agree with Medicare for All, as long as you don't change positions on trans rights, there should be no issue with somebody w/ a 100% rating from PP saying anti-choice people are welcome, as part of the party.

Bernie's been consistent as hell over the years. He might have changed to civil unions at the time to fight for what was achievable, which sucks but it is what it is. At this point in time however, he can't back down on trans rights. It's ingrained in the movement.

Klobuchar however? She isn't being held accountable in the same way. I'm not saying it's a guarantee that she's gonna go states rights on abortion, but I don't see what's stopping her from doing that. Her entire campaign message is "I'll get the republicans AND the democrats to vote for me" "You'll vote for me because I'll get rid of Trump".

I'm just saying, we're playing with fire with her.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Bernie's been consistent as hell over the years. He might have changed to civil unions at the time to fight for what was achievable, which sucks but it is what it is. At this point in time however, he can't back down on trans rights. It's ingrained in the movement.

Klobuchar however? She isn't being held accountable in the same way. I'm not saying it's a guarantee that she's gonna go states rights on abortion, but I don't see what's stopping her from doing that. Her entire campaign message is "I'll get the republicans AND the democrats to vote for me" "You'll vote for me because I'll get rid of Trump".

I'm just saying, we're playing with fire with her.

I agree - I hated the time Amy Klobuchar went, campaigned for an anti-abortion Democratic candidate for Mayor, then said, "The truth is that in some conservative states there will be candidates that are popular candidates who may not agree with me on every issue. I understand it. That's what politics is about," then followed up by saying, I think you just can't exclude people who disagree with us on one issue."

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I want to go back to a post/linked item earlier today about Amy Klobuchar:

thehill.com

Klobuchar: ‘We need to build a big tent’ for anti-abortion Democrats

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) on Tuesday said that the Democratic Party should be a “big tent” for people of different beliefs, including those …

Now it's important to note here that she's pro-choice, would 100% put in pro-choice judges, fully fund planned parenthood, get rid of the terrible gag rule, etc. Basically be indistinguishable from any other Democrat in practice.

There are going to be places in the country that elect conservative Democrats that are against abortion personally-maybe even horrified by it-but still pro-choice for all the reasons that makes sense to the rest of us. They speak about it in complicated terms to their constituents because it's a complicated issue, and their constituents understand because they are nuanced and complicated on it too. Their supporters aren't single-issue abortion voters, because people are generally complicated and not one-dimensional. But if you ask those voters "are you OK with abortion, yes/no?", they would flat out say "no, I hate it". And the most important policy positions on abortion are on flashpoint issues that are hard to talk about without shutting people out.

Is there room for elected officials and even rank and file members like them in the party? Does the "big tent" apply? Would the party ever seriously consider compromising to pass something that is a huge leap forward, such as federal law cementing Roe vs. Wade or getting rid of the Hyde Amendment, so that we can have a bill that passes and helps cover the exposed flank of our party that is living in areas where abortion is unpopular?

edit: I know this is a flashpoint, distorting mess of an issue, but the reaction to that article blew my mind in the other thread and I still don't know what to make of why listening and trying to include people who disagree on the issue was an immediate non-starter to the point of immediately disqualifying a candidate for suggesting that we don't shut them out.

"I hate abortion but damned if I'm going to tell a woman what to do with her body" I think is the position of the average Democrat. Is that what you mean or do you mean Democrats who are actively anti-choice? With regards to those, Lipinksi is a shit-hole because any Democrat can win in the Chicago suburbs. If a Dem has to be anti-choice to win in a particular district/state though, I won't like it and won't vote for them in a primary but I'd vote for them in a GE and I'd hope they would beat whatever Republican they are up against.

I don't agree with this statement, Warren and Bernie were the only two candidates who were serious about delivering healthcare as a human right in some fashion, and Warren unfortunately has dropped off worse than I'd ever hope for.

Biden's Healthcare Page
Buttigieg Healthcare Page
Klobuchar's Healthcare Page

It's fine if you prefer Sander's plans to all of them but they all want universal healthcare and all of them believe healthcare is a human right. Also, Warren did not back off the subject at all.

So, do you think the Democratic Party should not have endorsed John Bel Edwards, and thus, been OK with Medicaid not being expanded in that state, because I can tell you, there's zero chance a pro-choice Democrat is winning in Lousiana anytime soon.

I don't like that JBE is anti-choice and so pro-police but I like having a Dem governor in the state (though I'm not a Louisianian) and I figure most Louisiana Democrats do as well.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Thursday event with Mello, a Nebraska state senator who's running as a Democrat in the mayoral race, is one of several rallies Sanders is holding across the country this week. It's part of a Democratic National Committee-organized unity tour with DNC Chair Tom Perez.

Yeah I hate it when Bernie Sanders does shit for the DNC too. It's beneath him.

Edit: Full article
www.npr.org

Bernie Sanders Defends Campaigning For Anti-Abortion Rights Democrat

Sanders endorses Heath Mello for mayor of Omaha, Neb., and tells NPR, "In some conservative states there will be candidates that are popular candidates who may not agree with me on every issue."

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
So, do you think the Democratic Party should not have endorsed John Bel Edwards, and thus, been OK with Medicaid not being expanded in that state, because I can tell you, there's zero chance a pro-choice Democrat is winning in Lousiana anytime soon.

If you're looking at multiple candidates and they all probably have similarly harsh stances on abortion, you could make the argument for holding the nose, but it shouldn't be a default party stance that Dems are fine with. Such cases are fringe to begin with.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are layers. If you manage to get Puerto Rico and D.C. statehood, then Republicans will have to shift to win. But they'll still win within the next 10 years, guaranteed. Voters get complacent, others build grudges, yet others pay no attention and just vote for the other guy just cause no party will reign forever and racism and religious bigotry isn't gonna be scrubbed away by M4A. The moment you run a boring candidate or one weighed down by years of attacks, they will lose.
Well I mean maybe if you beat the drum for 4 years that Trump is the big problem and once we get the bad man out of office for anybody else, and that candidate doesn't actually improve their life in any substantial way, they're going to be less likely to vote. So we should be careful about what kind of candidate we elect, and what structural changes we implement to help stop minority rule, and increasingly get more people involved.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I hate it when Bernie Sanders does shit for the DNC too. It's beneath him.

Edit: Full article
www.npr.org

Bernie Sanders Defends Campaigning For Anti-Abortion Rights Democrat

Sanders endorses Heath Mello for mayor of Omaha, Neb., and tells NPR, "In some conservative states there will be candidates that are popular candidates who may not agree with me on every issue."

Except, as linked in that article, Bernie made the same basic argument Amy did - that, in some areas of the country, you need somebody who will materially help people, even if you disagree on a single issue. Now, for some reason, you trust Bernie Sanders, the person with the 100% Planned Parenthood rating, over Amy Klouchbar, another person with a 100% Planned Parenthood rating.

Well I mean maybe if you beat the drum for 4 years that Trump is the big problem and once we get the bad man out of office for anybody else, and that candidate doesn't actually improve their life in any substantial way, they're going to be less likely to vote. So we should be careful about what kind of candidate we elect, and what structural changes we implement to help stop minority rule.

Bernie Sanders could pass M4A, the GND, end student debt, raise taxes on the rich, and do a everything on the left-wing wish list and....Republican's would still get 47% at a minimum in the next Presidential race.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden's Healthcare Page
Buttigieg Healthcare Page
Klobuchar's Healthcare Page

It's fine if you prefer Sander's plans to all of them but they all want universal healthcare and all of them believe healthcare is a human right. Also, Warren did not back off the subject at all.
Well, Warren did back off it but in context of my post I meant she's no longer a viable candidate to win the election.

Also, please don't just post random health care plans and try to claim they guarantee healthcare as a human right when they clearly don't.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except, as linked in that article, Bernie made the same basic argument Amy did - that, in some areas of the country, you need somebody who will materially help people, even if you disagree on a single issue. Now, for some reason, you trust Bernie Sanders, the person with the 100% Planned Parenthood rating, over Amy Klouchbar, another person with a 100% Planned Parenthood rating.

Bernie Sanders could pass M4A, the GND, end student debt, raise taxes on the rich, and do a everything on the left-wing wish list and....Republican's would still get 47% at a minimum in the next Presidential race.
Yeah, because he was helping the DNC.

Has he endorsed any other anti-abortion candidates of his own free will?

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, because he was helping the DNC.

Has he endorsed any other anti-abortion candidates of his own free will?

Why didn't Bernie, as part of the Unity Tour he agreed to with Tom Perez, agree to campaign for an anti-abortion candidate? I'm sure there were other red state visits Bernie could've done a stop for instead.

But, I'm not surprised Bernie gets a pass, while a Bernie opponent gets slammed for having the same exact position.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't Bernie, as part of the Unity Tour he agreed to with Tom Perez, agree to campaign for an anti-abortion candidate? I'm sure there were other red state visits Bernie could've done a stop for instead.

But, I'm not surprised Bernie gets a pass, while a Bernie opponent gets slammed for having the same exact position.
Why did Tom Perez assign him an anti-abortion candidate to campaign for?

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why did Tom Perez assign him an anti-abortion candidate to campaign for?

Probably because Tom Perez, Amy Klobuchar, and Bernie Sanders, because they're all smart politicians, recognize that in certain very limited places in the country, a pro-choice candidate simply has zero chance to create a coalition that can win.

Personally, I have zero issues with Bernie Sanders doing this. I completely agree with the quote I included above. It's Bernie Sander's supporters, such as yourself, who have attacked Klobuchar, who disagree with Bernie, and his quote that basically matches up with what Klobuchar said. Both Bernie Sanders and Amy Klobuchar are rated 100% by Planned Parenthood, and I see zero reason to have any worry about reproductive rights with either of them in the White House.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Warren did back off it but in context of my post I meant she's no longer a viable candidate to win the election.

Also, please don't just post random health care plans and try to claim they guarantee healthcare as a human right when they clearly don't.

Um...well its hard to have a conversation with you if you're going to straight up say the candidates aren't saying that they very clearly are saying LOL. So I guess I'm just going to take my leave and wish you a good night.

P.S. Other countries manage universal healthcare without a full single-payer system. There are other models to follow than just Canada and Britain.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Preview of the Bernie fundraiser

EOtLtHyUYAEbL5y.jpg

I read this in Bernies voice and it was heavenly.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Every candidate has a stated policy goal and backing plan (since it's the most important item to their voters ) of ensuring access to health care for everyone that's affordable, available (rural healthcare in this country is a huge crisis) and won't cause them hardship to access.

What is the bar for what plans are not "health care is a human right?" Just curious, because where the candidates really differ is how they plan on addressing our health care costs (note: Bernie is super good on talking about this).The universal access to health care isn't the interesting bit to look at, in comparison.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because Tom Perez, Amy Klobuchar, and Bernie Sanders, because they're all smart politicians, recognize that in certain very limited places in the country, a pro-choice candidate simply has zero chance to create a coalition that can win.

Personally, I have zero issues with Bernie Sanders doing this. I completely agree with the quote I included above. It's Bernie Sander's supporters, such as yourself, who have attacked Klobuchar, who disagree with Bernie, and his quote that basically matches up with what Klobuchar said. Both Bernie Sanders and Amy Klobuchar are rated 100% by Planned Parenthood, and I see zero reason to have any worry about reproductive rights with either of them in the White House.

I don't trust Klobuchar. She's running to the right of most of the field and her feeling the need to publicly announce her intentions to court anti-abortion voters scares the shit out of me. I'd be at least a little worried if I were you.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not if we nationalize the news organizations.

Um...well its hard to have a conversation with you if you're going to straight up say the candidates aren't saying that they very clearly are saying LOL. So I guess I'm just going to take my leave and wish you a good night.

P.S. Other countries manage universal healthcare without a full single-payer system. There are other models to follow than just Canada and Britain.
Public option is not universal healthcare.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't trust Klobuchar. She's running to the right of most of the field and her feeling the need to publicly announce her intentions to court anti-abortion voters scares the shit out of me. I'd be at least a little worried if I were you.

If you want to not trust Klobuchar on racial issues, debt forgiveness, or a wide variety of issues, that's totally understandable. But again, she's been consistently getting strong ratings from Planned Parenthood for her entire political career. She wants publicly funded abortions and is opposed to parental notification. This is getting back to the "Joe Biden will totally put a Republican on the Supreme Court" arguments people were making.

She's not announcing her intentions to court anti-abortion voters. She's saying that somebody who is pro-life shouldn't automatically be considered somebody who shouldn't be part of the Democratic Party.

Again, her statement and Bernie's statements are basically the same.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
I agree, we should guarantee health care as a human right, then look to a variety of countries like France, the Netherlands, Japan, Australia, and Germany who all do much better than America, instead of deciding that it's single payer or you want sick people to die. ,
Netherlands isn't like France, Japan, Australia, or Germany. Actually, Australia is probably a little more similar to Netherlands than the others. France, Japan, and Germany have sickness funds that do not market, cherrypick, set the premiums or set rates for the providers. They don't have investors or earn profits. They're all-payer systems where they all pay the same price for whatever medical procedure there is. It is more efficient than our current system which should reduce costs.

Netherlands would be the more apt route as they have for-profit insurance companies now. And according to OECD statistics, they do have good health indicators compared to UK, Australia, France, Germany, and Japan relative to price. They look more or less equal going by the data.

In any case, there are multiple ways to achieve better healthcare as you said. I think what it comes down to his how much power the insurance companies have compared to overseas, and how hard your candidate will fight for those big regulations to bring those costs down.

Most candidates are for a public option, but have not said they would want an all payer system like Germany, France, and Japan. They're not advocating for turning those insurance companies into social sickness funds. They just want the public option to be there and out compete the corporations as is.

Single Payer looks more attractive to me.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, PoliERA had a mass Bloomber panic attack that almost took down the whole topic....Lol

I've made no secret my personal highest priority is beating Trump and being as competitive as possible winning the Senate back. That said, I do put some thought on what a Presidency would look like with these candidates. And with the exception of two of them, it's almost impossible to know.

Bernie Sanders - No idea what a Sander's Presidency would look like. Somewhere between a Bernie Revolution and the realities of a Republican Senate. The midterms would probably be a bloodbath.

Elizabeth Warren - No idea what a Warren Presidency would look like. Somewhere between a myriad of of Warren plans and the realities of a Republican Senate. The midterms would probably be a bloodbath.

Pete Buttigieg - Absolutely NO idea what a Booty Presidency would look like. Who knows what skin change Pete will take on once he's President. It seems his main ideology is winning, so it's hard to predict what he'll do. He could either end up being clever as a fox cruising to reelection on a center/left or progressive lite agenda or he could end up being a weasel, shifting around so much that everyone hates him and we get toasted in 2024.

Tom Steyer - Absolutely NO idea what a Steyer Presidency would look like. He seems like a friendly billionaire, but he's the least experienced person left in the field by far. I personally think a Steyer Presidency would probably be a disaster because he has zero governing or government experience.

Michael Bloomberg - No idea what a Bloomberg Presidency would look like. He could run the Presidency anywhere between Center/Left, Complete Centrist, and Center/Right. Those racist comments he made were just 5 years ago. That's not long at all, I still remember what I had for breakfast 5 years ago. This means he's not a natural ally of minorities and would have to keep a constant eye on him. Having a strong black woman VP who can call him out on his shit might help... but if they're just Pence-Lite then it would be a disaster.

The only somewhat known quantities are the following:

Amy Klob - She's never claimed to be anything but pure Center Left. There's no revolution, there's no plans. There's no excitement. But her Senate record and campaign rhetoric have been blandly consistent. I imagine it would be like the third season of the Obama show, nothing ambitious just expanding on popular Obama programs. But if she keeps throwing staplers at her staff in the oval office, there could be a lot of in-fighting scandals.

Joe Biden - He's a known quantity. Similar to Klob he hasn't made any big promises and mostly just wants finish the things Obama tried to finish and fix the things Republicans tried to destroy. I have a feeling his mental acuity would be a constant issue though. He absolutely would not be running for a second term, so while I strongly feel he'll win us back the Senate, 2024 could be challenging because the VP will need to have the gravitas of an incumbent.

It's a bit unselling that the vast majority will be complete unknown quantities once in office. I guess it's a symptom of party activist wanting a change candidate and the moderates putting all their eggs in the Biden basket for the first 12 months. The reason why this could be a problem is because a good chunk of the electorate could go with the "devil they know" if it seems too uncertain what the new guy/gal will bring to the table. Personally I think "change" candidates work best in open election cycles like 2000, 2008, and 2016. When you're trying to unseat an incumbent, the challenger has to show they'll bring greater competency and stabilization to the Presidency. After all, it's a referendum on the incumbent. And even then, it's still a tall mountain to climb.

Last edited:

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well I mean maybe if you beat the drum for 4 years that Trump is the big problem and once we get the bad man out of office for anybody else,
The only reason 2018 was a wave election with extremely high turnout was because Trump exists. If Trump was a Generic Republican no one would have a chance to beat him as an incumbent in 2020 in a low unemployment environment. By all rights he should be sleep-walking his way to re-election. Not leveraging that is dangerous.

and that candidate doesn't actually improve their life in any substantial way, they're going to be less likely to vote.
from 2008 to 2016 medical bankruptcies decreased by 60%, and medical bankruptcies were the most common form of bankruptcy. Wall street got tighter regulations than ever before. Republicans after the ACA was passed paralyzed Congress to prevent the law from being built on, and also prevented anything further from being passed legislatively. And then Trump was elected anyway.

So we should be careful about what kind of candidate we elect, and what structural changes we implement to help stop minority rule, and increasingly get more people involved.
Well then you should support Pete as structural electoral reform is the issue that's been top of the ticket for him and he's willing to go farther than anyone else on the ticket for him!

I'm not voting for Pete.

All I'm saying is that thinking there's a "win" state where the country is fundamentally and forever past Republicanism is dangerously naive.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
John Kelly fluff by The Atlantic:

www.theatlantic.com

John Kelly Finally Lets Loose on Trump

The former chief of staff explained, in the clearest terms yet, his misgivings about Trump’s behavior regarding North Korea, immigration, and Ukraine.

Over a 75-minute speech and question-and-answer session, Kelly laid out, in the clearest terms yet, his misgivings with Trump's words and actions regarding North Korea, illegal immigration, military discipline, Ukraine, and the news media.
Kelly, a retired Marine Corps general, said that Vindman is blameless and simply followed the training he'd received as a soldier, migrants are "overwhelmingly good people" and "not all rapists," and Trump's decision to condition military aid to Ukraine on an investigation into his political rival Joe Biden upended longstanding U.S. policy.
Vindman was rightly disturbed by Trump's phone call to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in July, Kelly suggested. Having seen something "questionable," Vindman properly notified his superiors, Kelly said. Vindman, who specialized in Ukraine policy at the National Security Council at the time, was among multiple U.S. officials who listened in on the call. When subpoenaed by Congress in the House impeachment hearings, Vindman complied and told the truth, Kelly said.
"He did exactly what we teach them to do from cradle to grave," Kelly told the audience at the Mayo Performing Arts Center. "He went and told his boss what he just heard."
------------------------------
"Through the Obama administration up until that phone call, the policy of the U.S. was militarily to support Ukraine in their defensive fight against …. the Russians," Kelly said. "And so, when the president said that continued support would be based on X, that essentially changed. And that's what that guy [Vindman] was most interested in."
When Vindman heard the president tell Zelensky he wanted to see the Biden family investigated, that, for Vindman, was tantamount to hearing "an illegal order," Kelly said. "We teach them, Don't follow an illegal order. And if you're ever given one, you'll raise it to whoever gives it to you that this is an illegal order, and then tell your boss."
Throughout the appearance, Kelly laid out his doubts about Trump's policies. Trump has held two formal summits with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, hoping to scuttle the country's nuclear program through personal diplomacy. Kelly said the effort was futile.
"He will never give his nuclear weapons up," Kelly said. "Again, President Trump tried – that's one way to put it. But it didn't work. I'm an optimist most of the time, but I'm also a realist and I never did think Kim would do anything other than play us for a while, and he did that fairly effectively."
------------------------------
Responding to questions from the audience, Kelly faulted Trump for intervening in the case of Eddie Gallagher, a Navy Seal who was convicted last year of posing with the corpse of an ISIS fighter. Trump reversed a Navy decision to oust Gallagher, in a chain of events that led to the resignation of Navy Secretary Richard Spencer.
"The idea that the commander-in-chief intervened there, in my opinion, was exactly the wrong thing to do," Kelly said. "Had I been there, I think I could have prevented it."
The audience applauded.
When a woman in the crowd said that Trump had "elevated" Gallagher, Kelly looked out at the crowd.
"Yep," he said.

ISWf1WF.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Wow, PoliERA had a mass Bloomber panic attack that almost took down the whole topic....Lol

I've made no secret my personal highest priority is beating Trump and being as competitive as possible winning the Senate back. That said, I do put some thought on what a Presidency would look like with these candidates. And with the exception of two of them, it's almost impossible to know.

Bernie Sanders - No idea what a Sander's Presidency would look like. Somewhere between a Bernie Revolution and the realities of a Republican Senate. The midterms would probably be a bloodbath.

Elizabeth Warren - No idea what a Warren Presidency would look like. Somewhere between a myriad of of Warren plans and the realities of a Republican Senate. The midterms would probably be a bloodbath.

Pete Buttigieg - Absolutely NO idea what a Booty Presidency would look like. Who knows what skin change Pete will take on once he's President. It seems his main ideology is winning, so it's hard to predict what he'll do. He could either end up being clever as a fox cruising to reelection on a center/left or progressive lite agenda or he could end up being a weasel, shifting around so much that everyone hates him and we get toasted in 2024.

Tom Steyer - Absolutely NO idea what a Steyer Presidency would look like. He seems like a friendly billionaire, but he's the least experienced person left in the field by far. I personally think a Steyer Presidency would probably be a disaster because he has zero governing or government experience.

Michael Bloomberg - No idea what a Bloomberg Presidency would look like. He could run the Presidency anywhere between Center/Left, Complete Centrist, and Center/Right. Those racist comments he made were just 5 years ago. That's not long at all, I still remember what I had for breakfast 5 years ago. This means he's not a natural ally of minorities and would have to keep a constant eye on him. Having a strong black woman VP who can call him out on his shit might help... but if they're just Pence-Lite then it would be a disaster.

The only somewhat known quantities are the following:

Amy Klob - She's never claimed to be anything but pure Center Left. There's no revolution, there's no plans. There's no excitement. But her Senate record and campaign rhetoric have been blandly consistent. I imagine it would be like the third season of the Obama show, nothing ambitious just expanding on popular Obama programs. But if she keeps throwing staplers at her staff in the oval office, there could be a lot of in-fighting scandals.

Joe Biden - He's a known quantity. Similar to Klob he hasn't made any big promises and mostly just wants finish the things Obama tried to finish and fix the things Republicans tried to destroy. I have a feeling his mental acuity would be a constant issue though. He absolutely would not be running for a second term, so while I strongly feel he'll win us back the Senate, 2024 could be challenging because the VP will need to have the gravitas of an incumbent.

It's a bit unselling that the vast majority will be complete unknown quantities once in office. I guess it's a symptom of party activist wanting a change candidate and the moderates putting all their eggs in the Biden basket for the first 12 months. The reason why this could be a problem is because a good chunk of the electorate could go with the "devil they know" if it seems too uncertain what the new guy/gal will bring to the table. Personally I think "change" candidates work best in open election cycles like 2000, 2008, and 2016. When you're trying to unseat an incumbent, the challenger has to show they'll bring greater competency and stabilization to the Presidency. After all, it's a referendum on the incumbent. And even then, it's still a tall mountain to climb.

Nobody is doing anything in the 4 years unless they are willing to compromise with Republicans in Senate.

Oct 26, 2017
That John Kelly article...

I'm now convinced proximity to Trump causes one to mutate into a cultist zombie creature. The closer the proximity the greater one becomes a zombie husk. But if one gets far enough away from the Trump nuclear fallout zone, for some the human DNA slowly starts regenerating.

Nice words by Kelly now, but he was an asshole and a liar the first 6 months on the job and the latter months he completely checked out and didn't stop Trump from doing anything.So no, I don't think he would be a stabilizing force. He'd either be hiding in an underground bunker or be a zombie husk.

I hate to admit it, but only John Bolton has shown any proof of a high level offical in the Trump admin that had a Zombie Resistance strain in them. And that's because Bolton was way more focused on his own NeoCon agenda, everything else was secondary.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Healthcare Page

It's fine if you prefer Sander's plans to all of them but they all want universal healthcare and all of them believe healthcare is a human right. Also, Warren did not back off the subject at all
Something funny here-- Klobuchar actually repeats the same thing twice
As Minnesota's U.S. Senator, I will continue to focus on these health care priorities:

Lowering prescription drug prices.When families get sick, their focus should be on getting well, not on affording their prescriptions. Yet drug prices are an increasing burden across Minnesota and our country. According to a 2018 report from the Health Care Cost Institute, the price of brand-name prescription drugs increased 110 percent between 2012 and 2016, even though usage of these drugs went down. I will fight to make prescription drugs more affordable for all Americans by lifting the ban on Medicare negotiating prices directly with drug companies on behalf of the 45 million seniors in the Part D program, allowing for the importation of safe, less-expensive drugs from countries like Canada, ending the "pay-for-delay" practice of brand-name drug manufacturers paying off their less-expensive generic competitors to stay out of the market, stopping anticompetitive tactics—like brand-name companies denying generic companies access to samples—that prevent consumers from having access to less expensive generic alternatives in the pharmaceutical market, and reducing drug waste that costs taxpayers millions of dollars.

Lowering prescription drug prices.When families get sick, their focus should be on getting well, not on affording their prescriptions. Yet drug prices are an increasing burden across Minnesota and our country. According to a 2018 report from the Health Care Cost Institute, the price of brand-name prescription drugs increased 110 percent between 2012 and 2016, even though usage of these drugs went down. I will fight to make prescription drugs more affordable for all Americans by lifting the ban on Medicare negotiating prices directly with drug companies on behalf of the 45 million seniors in the Part D program, allowing for the importation of safe, less-expensive drugs from countries like Canada, ending the "pay-for-delay" practice of brand-name drug manufacturers paying off their less-expensive generic competitors to stay out of the market, stopping anticompetitive tactics—like brand-name companies denying generic companies access to samples—that prevent consumers from having access to less expensive generic alternatives in the pharmaceutical market, and reducing drug waste that costs taxpayers millions of dollars.

Don't know if that says more about where healthcare is on her list of priorities or where she thought she'd be in the race at this point lol

But also I do think it's fair to say that Warren is walking back her messaging a bit. It's not dissimilar to what Pete did throughout the campaign. He most recent tweet where she switches to "affordable healthcare" is pretty dire, these terms don't exist in a vacuum you know?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

julie k. brown @jkbjournalist

BREAKING: Miami Herald parent company files for bankruptcy. A very sad day for local news. https://twitter.com/mlcalderone/status/1227927843092471809 …

7:18 AM - Feb 13, 2020

"While this is obviously a sad milestone after 163 years of family control, McClatchy remains a strong operating company and committed to essential local news and information," said Kevin McClatchy, chairman of the company that has carried his family name since the days of the California Gold Rush. "While we tried hard to avoid this step, there's no question that the scale of our 75-year-old pension plan – with 10 pensioners for every single active employee – is a reflection of another economic era."
The filing has no immediate impact on McClatchy's employees or its 30 newsrooms in 14 states, including the Kansas City Star, the Miami Herald, the Charlotte Observer, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and the Sacramento Bee. The company said it has secured $50 million in new financing from Encina Business Credit to ensure it can continue to operate while in bankruptcy and hopes to emerge with its balance sheet equipped for the future.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since Bernie is the frontrunner people should start preparing because there is no way in hell that single payer is going into the party platform. Of all the things that I'm worried about is that the fight over that plank is going to lead to a massive rift.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Burgess Everett @burgessev

Joe Manchin thinks President Donald Trump abused his power and voted to remove him from office. But he also thinks Trump can still be a "tremendous president" and is eager to reconcile. And he's not ruling out supporting Trump's re-election campaign.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/13/joe-manchin-trump-reelection-impeachment-114679 …

"I don't rule anything out. I really don't rule anything out," Manchin said in an interview in his office. "I'm always going to be for what's best for my country. Everybody can change. Maybe the president will change, you know? Maybe that uniter will come out, versus the divider"

may defy logic that Manchin could support a president he voted to kick out of office, Manchin sees things differently. Trump tried to defeat Manchin in 2018 and Manchin forgave him a week later.

"I'm asking him to do the same thing I did," Manchin said. "He tried to remove me."

Senate Republicans are annoyed that Manchin denied Trump a bipartisan acquittal. But Graham has spoken to Trump about needing Manchin's vote later this year

Trump "doesn't believe it today. But there will come a time when we need Joe tomorrow," Graham said.

8:09 AM - Feb 13, 2020

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
That's because Vermont has no solid clothes options. It's basically Kohl's, Walmart, and as of last year Target (although our Target sucks).
Bernard buying Kohl's is very on-brand for him. You're not gonna see a socialist in designer clothing.

Burgess Everett @burgessev

Joe Manchin thinks President Donald Trump abused his power and voted to remove him from office. But he also thinks Trump can still be a "tremendous president" and is eager to reconcile. And he's not ruling out supporting Trump's re-election campaign.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/13/joe-manchin-trump-reelection-impeachment-114679 …

"I don't rule anything out. I really don't rule anything out," Manchin said in an interview in his office. "I'm always going to be for what's best for my country. Everybody can change. Maybe the president will change, you know? Maybe that uniter will come out, versus the divider"

may defy logic that Manchin could support a president he voted to kick out of office, Manchin sees things differently. Trump tried to defeat Manchin in 2018 and Manchin forgave him a week later.

"I'm asking him to do the same thing I did," Manchin said. "He tried to remove me."

Senate Republicans are annoyed that Manchin denied Trump a bipartisan acquittal. But Graham has spoken to Trump about needing Manchin's vote later this year

Trump "doesn't believe it today. But there will come a time when we need Joe tomorrow," Graham said.

8:09 AM - Feb 13, 2020

My boy is playing the game beautifully.

We know he would actually never in a million years support Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.