• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2019
Speaking of Nevada... Has there been any more reporting of the Culinary Workers Union situation? I'd wish to know what's happening internally at the union. It's a big house, and I think they're still on strike at some of the hotels? I wonder whether the strike situation altered the political calculus for the union leadership to not endorse anyone.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Or maybe it was entirely unrelated to Elijah Cummings
Literally, from the thing you posted:

Yet the boos and disruptions of speakers of color also came at awkward times. Cummings, for instance, was giving a speech on his personal background and the importance of diversity in the Democratic Party — but his words on social and racial justice were completely drowned out by the protests.
That entire article reinforces what I said and undermines your point, such as it was.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My dad is driving to Nevada right now for a trip with his friend. I should phone him to tell him to canvas for Bernie while he's up there. He was an instrumental part of getting our local Democrat elected in 2018, so it's in his wheelhouse!

I wish I could canvas more but social anxiety makes it kinda scary. Those older blue dog voters, man, they'll rip your heart out!

Well, just the lungs.

Damisa

Oct 25, 2017
I had a Bernie supporter vandalize my car simply for preferring Warren, didn't even bad mouth Bernie. But whatever I'm sure it's common for other candidate supporters go around vandalizing property too right?

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
So, anyone that knows about polls and stuff, can you explain why Biden and Warren are flopping like they are?

I'd been following the polls and iirc, Biden and Warren were 1, and 3 respectively. What happened? Is this a normal occurrence with polls?
They lost the first 2 primaries badly.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I had a Bernie supporter vandalize my car simply for preferring Warren, didn't even bad mouth Bernie. But whatever I'm sure it's common for other candidate supporters go around vandalizing property too right?
I might consider it if I see that my uncle still has a Tootsie Garbage sticker on his car next time I see it.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Speaking of Nevada... Has there been any more reporting of the Culinary Workers Union situation? I'd wish to know what's happening internally at the union. It's a big house, and I think they're still on strike at some of the hotels? I wonder whether the strike situation altered the political calculus for the union leadership to not endorse anyone.
Polling Nevada is....very difficult. Polling a caucus is extremely difficult. Polling a Nevada caucus is literally like throwing darts at a board and seeing what sticks.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No person of color in the moderator panel for the next debate.

Very low chance that Bloomberg gets asked the tough questions on race issues.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Or maybe it was entirely unrelated to Elijah Cummings

www.vox.com

Some DNC delegates booed during speeches given by people of color. Here's what was going on.

The boos seemed motivated by a policy disagreement, but the optics really didn't look good.

Oh and the NV Caucus stuff was all bunk

At least post good examples if you're going to drag people like that.

So I actually dug into the sources of that wiki article, and it links to an op-ed and the actual wiki leaks email where the only mention of this is;

And the reaction to the vanquishing was akin to the petulant mewling of a baby who had been pampered until the moment he first was told no, wailing with no purpose other than to be loud, And just like an infant, the Sanders folks wanted it to be all about them.

This is an M.O that comes from the top: We are pure; you are not. You are with us or you are corrupt Establishment criminals. If you challenge us, we will call you names, bully you, threaten you. This is not all Bernie Sanders supporters. In fact, it's a minority; many truly believe in the cause, in income inequality destroying the fabric of America, in universal health care being a universal right, in all of it. Fine. But there were no great policy debates on the floor of that convention; they weren't even debating emails servers or Wall Street transcripts.

This was raw fury, nasty enough this weekend in Las Vegas to disrupt a convention in the name of … what? What is the endgame here? Take over a state party that may be the best in America? Stop Hillary Clinton from winning the nomination? Make a lot of noise, eat a lot of pizza and look down on everyone? These are small-picture people. Instead of accepting the plain facts that Clinton won the caucus and out-hustled Sanders at the state convention, they want to talk about arcane rules being imposed, whether chairs were really thrown and if anyone should make a fuss out of chalk on walls and sidewalks (even if the messages were hateful).

These are people who think it's fine to scream obscenities at a sitting U.S. senator, Barbara Boxer, believe it's part of their First Amendment rights to call a state party chair corrupt and who insist they are cheated out of something that was never theirs. If this is the Sanders revolution, give me the Establishment.

Sanders had a chance Tuesday to apologize to Lange, to concede his supporters were out of hand, to try to calm his troops stirred up by local troublemakers. That would have been leadership. Instead, he behaved like a – dare I say it? – Establishment politician, more concerned about, as another Clinton once said, maintaining his viability in the political system. I seriously doubt he can put out the fire he has set. All things considered, my guess is there won't be much brotherly Democratic love in Philadelphia.

There isn't anything really discrediting the issues that happened back in 16' with Nevada. People in the DNC were pissed at Sanders for obvious reasons that displayed themselves at the actual convention. In fact, the email that you cited is literally bringing up the same criticisms that are being brought up now lol

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
No person of color in the moderator panel for the next debate.

Very low chance that Bloomberg gets asked the tough questions on race issues.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

A Hillary supporter keyed my friend's car in 2016, so maybe! Amazingly, I didn't hold that against Clinton, or even the rest of her supporters.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
To be fair, at least she voted before she was in her 40s.
Sanders can't say that.
I think you are missing some context. What is more important in terms of civic duty: voting before you are 40 or becoming a mayor, a member of congress, a senator, creating a working class movement and then becoming the president of the united states?

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. We all know what happened. There is no universe in which their behavior was acceptable. Period.
I won't argue that it wasn't bad optics, but they were protesting the DNC's blocking of anti-tpp platform shit. It has nothing to do with Elijah Cummings or race. They're all progressive democrats, you really think they were trying to turn this into a race thing?

Oct 25, 2017
I think you are missing some context. What is more important in terms of civic duty: voting before you are 40 or becoming a mayor, a member of congress, a senator, creating a working class movement and then becoming the president of the united states?
Civic involvement is good and people who do it are good, that's what I would say to the comparison.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I think you are missing some context. What is more important: voting before you are 40 or becoming a mayor, a member of congress, a senator, creating a working class movement and then becoming the president of the united states?
Bernie has argued that he cared greatly about things like income inequality, civil rights, women's reproductive rights....but he didn't do the bare minimum and vote until he could vote for himself. I'm sorry, but sitting on the sidelines until you get to vote for yourself isn't leadership. He did nothing to affect actual change at the ballot box, because he didn't participate.
I won't argue that it wasn't bad optics, but they were protesting the DNC's blocking of anti-tpp platform shit. It has nothing to do with Elijah Cummings or race. They're all progressive democrats, you really think they were trying to turn this into a race thing?
Yikes. I never even hinted that they were "trying ot turn this into a race thing." Jesus.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I think if they were told this person supported Clinton, they'd have no problems attacking him, just like Bernie Sander''s Jill Stein voting press secretary had no problem attacking a civil rights hero like John Lewis, because he endorsed Hillary.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I mean before that. Biden was a front runner and he ended up flopping!

And then Warren too. I don't understand how Klobuchar ended up higher than Warren, either.
National polls are deceptive for this reason. Biden way under performed his polls is Iowa, and Warren under performed as well. This causes NH to shift from them to Pete, Klob had a a good debate the night before the primary, though it's unclear if this was the cause of her very late surge. It's also unclear where her voters were siphoned from. Iowa and NH are very white, Biden was doing best with minorities but he unfortunately imploded causing his base to question his electability.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

WaPo with a story on how trump is fuming that his DOJ failed to bring charges on Comey and McCabe and that he wants to weaponize the bullshit Duhram investigation in his reelection campaign

Separately, Barr has tapped U.S. Attorney John Durham in Connecticut to investigate whether any crimes were committed by FBI and CIA officials in the pursuit of allegations in 2016 that Russia interfered in the election to benefit Trump's campaign.

After learning that the Huber investigation is not likely to produce charges, Trump has become more insistent that Durham finish his work soon, according to people familiar with the discussions. Trump, these people said, wants to be able to use whatever Durham finds as a cudgel in his reelection campaign.

NYT earlier today had an update on Durham's thing and it sounds like they're searching for a basis to charge brennan and others.

WASHINGTON — Trump administration officials investigating the government's response to Russia's election interference in 2016 appear to be hunting for a basis to accuse Obama-era intelligence officials of hiding evidence or manipulating analysis about Moscow's covert operation, according to people familiar with aspects of the inquiry.

Since his election, President Trump has attacked the intelligence agencies that concluded that Russia secretly tried to help him win, fostering a narrative that they sought to delegitimize his victory. He has long promoted the investigation by John H. Durham, the prosecutor examining their actions, as a potential pathway to proving that a deep-state cabal conspired against him.

Questions asked by Mr. Durham, who was assigned by Attorney General William P. Barr to scrutinize the early actions of law enforcement and intelligence officials struggling to understand the scope of Russia's scheme, suggest that Mr. Durham may have come to view with suspicion several clashes between analysts at different intelligence agencies over who could see each other's highly sensitive secrets, the people said.

Mr. Durham appears to be pursuing a theory that the C.I.A., under its former director John O. Brennan, had a preconceived notion about Russia or was trying to get to a particular result — and was nefariously trying to keep other agencies from seeing the full picture lest they interfere with that goal, the people said.

But officials from the F.B.I. and the National Security Agency have told Mr. Durham and his investigators that such an interpretation is wrong and based on a misunderstanding of how the intelligence community functions, the people said. National security officials are typically cautious about sharing their most delicate information, like source identities, even with other agencies inside the executive branch.

Nothing surprising - I think it's what we all expected was going on - but it's all incredibly disturbing. We need to get this man and the republican party out of the white house and out of power.

Oct 25, 2017
As a community member, I miss the random poems we used to get from time to time. So, here's some Fiona Apple lyrics:

My peace and quiet was stolen from me
When I was looking with calm affection
You were searching out my imperfections

What wasted unconditional love
On somebody
Who doesn't believe in the stuff

Oh well.

Jun 20, 2019
Bernie has argued that he cared greatly about things like income inequality, civil rights, women's reproductive rights....but he didn't do the bare minimum and vote until he could vote for himself. I'm sorry, but sitting on the sidelines until you get to vote for yourself isn't leadership. He did nothing to affect actual change at the ballot box, because he didn't participate.

Yikes. I never even hinted that they were "trying ot turn this into a race thing." Jesus.
I think we disagree on whether voting is the "bare minimum". Sanders was very active politically in his 20s and 30s, both in direct action campaigns and political speech.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What sites are acceptable to you?
It's not "sites" necessarily. It's writers and what their spin is on things. NYT can have a very good article on one thing, and a trash article on another thing. On the whole though, I don't take any news site at 100% face value. That includes Jacobin and other left wing media.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
As a community member, I miss the random poems we used to get from time to time. So, here's some Fiona Apple lyrics:

My peace and quiet was stolen from me
When I was looking with calm affection
You were searching out my imperfections

What wasted unconditional love
On somebody
Who doesn't believe in the stuff

Oh well.

I too have lyrics,

National polls are deceptive for this reason. Biden way under performed his polls is Iowa, and Warren under performed as well. This causes NH to shift from them to Pete, Klob had a a good debate the night before the primary, though it's unclear if this was the cause of her very late surge. It's also unclear where her voters were siphoned from. Iowa and NH are very white, Biden was doing best with minorities but he unfortunately imploded causing his base to question his electability.

Oweee. Thanks! It was so weird to me after seeing Biden with high numbers and suddenly end up fourth.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The Sonic movie was very good.

#VoteBlueNoMatterWho

Also good kids are getting an early education on the evils of the military industrial complex, personified by noted antivaxxer and Trump critic Jim Carrey

Status
Not open for further replies.