• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Cable news is bad but Bernie is an extremely high variance candidate compared to the other options. He has big huge electability issues that need scruitiny just like every other candidate.

Pete, Amy, Joe , and such-they all pretty much have general election outcomes that are pretty highly clustered. Bernie is much more likely to have a set of very non-clustered outcomes on a wider spread, ranging from complete collapse of the Midwest for Democrats to restoration of the Midwest+realignment of the Sun Belt.
All true, but when I tune into a left leaning network I at least expect some balance. The hate and doom and gloom for Bernie is tiresome. And I'm sure as hell not tuning into CNN. So there's really nowhere else to go for decent cable news.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
2016 taxes and 2018 party affiliation both have the same pattern.
The party affiliation one rankles me the most. I don't think he ever intended to switch IDs he just wanted everyone to shut up.

And it worked.

Again, you ignored when I clarified the actual comprehensive medical evaluations released by Bernie's 3 physicians; it included laboratory values and test results relevant to his cardiovascular and overall health. So what exactly do you want from him, a complete release of his lifelong medical records? What do you hope to accomplish with that?

Your stance is the most "ACKSHULLY" shit that I've seen in a while when anyone in the medical community would find such a request ridiculous when the current documents provided more than sufficient. Fucking Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN just said that it's more than sufficient.
Why'd he make that promise and why'd he change his mind?

The thing about politicians is we get suspicious when they break promises like that.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Let me get this straight. You're saying that multiple times members of the community have brought up that conversations are starting to get racist overtones -- multiple times -- and that makes you less likely to take their perspectives seriously? Because you see them as being debated down?
I'm really at a loss with talking to you because you're just straight up making shit up now. When did I say I did take peoples' perspectives less seriously if they raise complaints of racially charged comments in this thread? I said nothing to that effect, nor do I think it.

I feel like my post was already pretty straightforward: I simply disagree with the notion that black female surrogates and spokespeople are being singled out in this thread for abuse. For one thing, it completely dismisses the criticisms being made about these spokespeople in the first place (can we keep in mind that this all started because Bernie's campaign press secretary lied on TV about another candidate having multiple heart attacks?). But more importantly to this topic, it ignores all of the *white male* spokespeople who are frequently criticized in this thread for stupid things they say and do. Examples of whom I just listed in my last post, which you ignored. And plenty of other posters just literally today have also pointed to these same examples of other white spokespeople and surrogates (from both Bernie's campaign and other campaigns) who get dragged in this thread for acting like dumbasses.

I've been as clear as I can about this but if you're just going to ignore anything I've laid out the last couple times, and continue to make up things that you pretend to attribute to me, I'm not interested in talking any further.

Last edited:

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I wish the argument was less about medical records and more about veep picks. Be specific. A list would be nice, and that goes for Biden and Bloomberg too.

Not trying to get morbid here but if you're pushing 80 as a man you're already past life expectancy. What kind of person-with examples so you can't weasel your way out of the question- to serve in your stead should something happens really matters.

Oct 25, 2017

I think for everyone. I think black support would basically consolidate around Bernie, who will have showed his ability to win everywhere.

Sanders still scares me in a GE despite the numbers that show that he'd be the favorite, at least if polling is on point. On the other hand, if he can legit forge a coalition of poor white folks, black folks, and economic leftists while holding onto the suburban voter edge the party has, he deserves the nomination.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Here's the thing:

Bernie said he was going to release more medical stuff than he already had. Now he's saying he's not. I don't particularly care about that.

What I care about is Bernie's press secretary going on national TV and literally lying her ass off because ANY slight against Bernie has to be treated as the end of the fucking world, and their reaction EVERY SINGLE TIME is "Whataboutism." That's not a strategy! Bernie needs to keep his campaign staff and surrogates on message: Nina, Brianna, Zephyr, Siorta, Weaver, all of them. Oh and Sarandon. Her too. God. Anyway...the birtherism comparison is stupid. Not releasing more information is stupid because you're going to turn this into a thing. But the offensive part is her literally fucking lying on TV about someone else's medical conditions to which she is in no way privy to any information.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
What people mean when they use "BernieBro" as a prerogative: The most obnoxious, vitriolic and spiteful minority of Sanders supporters that have a record of harassing people both online and offline are a problem.

Normal people who are Sanders supporters who aren't harassing people & I assume don't support harassment of any type: "The use of that term is UNACCEPTABLE! Many of these super-obnoxious and toxic Sanders supporters are also women, LGBT and/or POC! Don't erase them!"

Is...that the context of the discussion on "BernieBros" we are having? Is this the hill some people are trying to die on? Or have I misunderstood people?

You simply cannot tune into MSNBC now without hearing a panelist or host completely shitting on Bernie. Just heard yet another person say Bernie will get "slaughtered" in the GE or something to that effect. I've heard others on the network say Trump will win 40-44 states against Bernie.

It's usually Never-Trump conservative commentators that say stuff like that. Not that their opinions are invalid or should be automatically dismissed but I don't think its surprising an old conservative would not have many positive feelings towards Sanders. So you gotta keep that background in mind when they say stuff like that.

Also, as someone else mentioned, you'll probably feel better if you watch less cable news :P

Talk about a nothing burger this turned out to be :/

Dec 31, 2017
The party affiliation one rankles me the most. I don't think he ever intended to switch IDs he just wanted everyone to shut up.

And it worked.

Why'd he make that promise and why'd he change his mind?

The thing about politicians is we get suspicious when they break promises like that.

Because it was an evolving situation? Because he himself is not a medical professional? Because in consultation with other medical professionals he released what is professionally more than satisfactory with regards to relevant medical information? Because releasing every single medical record will just create more trouble than actually inform people about his current cardiovascular health? Because people change their mind and it's a human tendency?

Again, I really find getting upset about this situation to be rather hollow. It's a nothing burger being amplified into a big controversy, and that's all I have left to say on it.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing:

Bernie said he was going to release more medical stuff than he already had. Now he's saying he's not. I don't particularly care about that.
I've seen this said before and I actually am not at all familiar with it. What exactly did Sanders say he was going to release that he didn't? Is it a semantics thing? Do people not see the medical records he released as medical records?

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
lol at people here actually peddling that medical record bs

We get it, you don't like Bernie for whatever reason. You don't have to lie about you actually caring about these crap gotchas. First it was the taxes, then it was the endorsement, then it was the initial (and more than enough) medical report, and now it's this. So tiring.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Catching up on polls, glad to see that Bloomberg is still being kept at #3. He may be rising, but it hasn't been as rapid as Bernie's has been.
And lmao at that ABC poll. Biden's -16 in support perfectly sums up the last monh.
As for these South Carolina polls, wow. If Bernie were to sweep the first 4 states of the primary, holy shit.

Hopefully Bernie has a great debate showing tonight.

Steyer getting in on the action!

Fucking finally. Anti-Bloomberg ads have been so sorely needed. And in Super Tuesday states no less. It's from Steyer, but it's better than the nothing we've been seeing for weeks.

Oct 25, 2017
I know we all loathe Trump but I'll admit the ridiculous "Why does he deserve a box at the debates?" tangent that Trump went on about Bloomberg at the Super Bowl interview made me laugh a bit.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
You simply cannot tune into MSNBC now without hearing a panelist or host completely shitting on Bernie. Just heard yet another person say Bernie will get "slaughtered" in the GE or something to that effect. I've heard others on the network say Trump will win 40-44 states against Bernie.

Yeah, this should be all the evidence you need to know that MSNBC is as full of shit when it comes to Sanders as they (that is, the campaign) say it is. I don't know that head-to-head polls are particularly useful at the moment but they're all pretty consistent in favoring Sanders over Trump.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
If this is what a Bernie Presidency is going to do to this forum/thread I'm not sure I can handle it. Some people just need to take a break from the keyboard because you can feel the blood pressure rising in some of these posts.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
What people mean when they use "BernieBro" as a prerogative: The most obnoxious, vitriolic and spiteful minority of Sanders supporters that have a record of harassing people both online and offline are a problem.

Normal people who are Sanders supporters who aren't harassing people & I assume don't support harassment of any type: "The use of that term is UNACCEPTABLE! Many of these super-obnoxious and toxic Sanders supporters are also women, LGBT and/or POC! Don't erase them!"

Is...that the context of the discussion on "BernieBros" we are having? Is this the hill some people are trying to die on? Or have I misunderstood people?

Honestly the term isn't even used much any more so I'm not even sure why it's such a topic of discussion. I did a search for it on Era and after several pages all I could find were people discussing the term rather than actually using it as a pejorative.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
also if warren has to answer "who would be your vp?" since she's 70 it's totally ok for her to say bailey.

also don't worry about this kind of bitterness among people that mostly agree being a long-term thing. This is just a tough time, some of us have connections to candidates that are going to lose. That is a tough thing.

By midsummer we'll be over it, because holy bag of poop on fire Trump is an emergency.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the term isn't even used much any more so I'm not even sure why it's such a topic of discussion. I did a search for it on Era and after several pages all I could find were people discussing the term rather than actually using it as a pejorative.
It was fine for a while but it got really heated when Chuck Todd made the brown shirt brigade comment about Bernie bros. That even for me who gives a side eye to some of Bernie's vocal online supporters was wayyy crossing the line especially on TV.

Dec 31, 2017
If this is what a Bernie Presidency is going to do to this forum/thread I'm not sure I can handle it. Some people just need to take a break from the keyboard because you can feel the blood pressure rising in some of these posts.

I would be happy to prophylactically prescribe anti-hypertensives to everyone who posts in here. Maybe some proton pump inhibitors as well to prevent the eventual stomach ulcers.

But only after I've seen the full medical record of everyone, including if you got a mole resected off your asscheek when you were young and how many anal fissures you've had, for example.

Oct 25, 2017
also if warren has to answer "who would be your vp?" since she's 70 it's totally ok for her to say bailey.

also don't worry about this kind of bitterness among people that mostly agree being a long-term thing. This is just a tough time, some of us have connections to candidates that are going to lose. That is a tough thing.

By midsummer we'll be over it, because holy bag of poop on fire Trump is an emergency.
I think the first Obama speech will cool a lot of fucking people down.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
What poll is my man Sherrod referring to in this email?

cac901236aabdd234adcd8008723663d.png

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Again, I really find getting upset about this situation to be rather hollow.
Guy who previously pledged to be a Dem and didn't follow through to ease complaints about his campaign later says he'll release his medical records in the aftermath of a heart attack and then backtracks. Two instances aren't a pattern but I can perceive it as a red-flag.

They're self-serving promises at worst or bad politics at best. I understand that releasing his medical records wouldn't improve his position in the polls, but if you make a dumb promise of transparency and then don't follow through you don't get to gripe about criticism on it.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I've seen this said before and I actually am not at all familiar with it. What exactly did Sanders say he was going to release that he didn't? Is it a semantics thing? Do people not see the medical records he released as medical records?
It was in an interview, I believe, but I could be wrong about this. The issue, like I said, is the lying. He's free to release whatever medical records he wants to. I just think maximum transparency helps cut these things off at the pass. For better or worse, it makes you appear as though you are hiding something. If he doesn't want to release more information, that's totally fine. It's his personal information. They just need a better answer than "YA WELL WHAT ABOUT XYZ." That's deflection not an answer. This whole thing was the result of a person at a town hall asking for more information. Like it or not, a nearly 80 year old man running for President is going to get asked about his health. And, again, I think people are getting lost in the weeds here. The only issue I have is Brianna literally lying on national television because the Sander's campaign default position on EVERYTHING is doubling down and trying to deflect to someone else.
We get it, you don't like Bernie for whatever reason. You don't have to lie about you actually caring about these crap gotchas. First it was the taxes, then it was the endorsement, then it was the initial (and more than enough) medical report, and now it's this. So tiring.
Okay, so I have issue with this. There are going to be people, left right and center, who are going to have questions about Bernie. They're going to have questions about his fitness for office. They're going to have questions about his policies. If you are immediately going to just say YOU'RE JUST A HATER to everyone who isn't on board....you're going to lose. By a lot. Everything is not a slight against Bernie. He is going to get questions from literally all directions. And if his campaign is going to handle that by lying or just saying "ITS A GOTCHA WHO CARES" .... this is not going to go well.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
So that primary story earlier?

Both parties involved denies it.

Not the first time Edward Isaac Dovere has published negative Bernie stories that get retracted.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
lol at people here actually peddling that medical record bs

I think a lot of people in this thread actually do like Bernie. But liking Bernie doesn't have to mean embracing every single thing coming out of his campaign as right and good. I don't think Bernie is transphobic or will push for transphobic policies; I still think it is problematic for his campaign to tout the endorsement of someone like Joe Rogan! I don't think Bernie is hiding some secret sinister health problem, just like I didn't think Hillary Clinton was hiding a Parkinson's diagnosis or was otherwise on the brink of death. At the same time, I don't think it helps Bernie to say "I will release these medical records," then not release them and say it is ok and right and good that he didn't release them. Just like I didn't think it helped Hillary to be needlessly mysterious about having the flu for a couple hours.

I think Bernie actually is probably pretty healthy all things considered, but I don't think more transparency around someone who's knocking on 80 and just had a heart attack a couple months ago is a bad thing either.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Bernie should just get some quack doctor to say he's in perfect shape and has the health of a 30-year old man. Worked for Trump.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017

Trump knows most of the US government are just pushovers. Doesn't matter if it's the legislative, judicial or executive branch. Most will bend the knee to a fascist if he's in the seat of power.

Vindmans are few and far between. We've got tons of Boltons no one wants, though!
I think for everyone. I think black support would basically consolidate around Bernie, who will have showed his ability to win everywhere.

Sanders still scares me in a GE despite the numbers that show that he'd be the favorite, at least if polling is on point. On the other hand, if he can legit forge a coalition of poor white folks, black folks, and economic leftists while holding onto the suburban voter edge the party has, he deserves the nomination.
As Trump gets more and more dictatorial the distaste for him will only continue to rise in suburbia imo. The guy is even pardoning corrupt democrats republicans have hated for almost a decade.

what a mess

Steyer getting in on the action!

spicy steyer

It's not so much the content of the ad as it is the seven figure ad buy. A moderately good attack ad funded by big bucks can have a nice impact.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It was in an interview, I believe, but I could be wrong about this. The issue, like I said, is the lying. He's free to release whatever medical records he wants to. I just think maximum transparency helps cut these things off at the pass. For better or worse, it makes you appear as though you are hiding something. If he doesn't want to release more information, that's totally fine. It's his personal information. They just need a better answer than "YA WELL WHAT ABOUT XYZ." That's deflection not an answer. This whole thing was the result of a person at a town hall asking for more information. Like it or not, a nearly 80 year old man running for President is going to get asked about his health. And, again, I think people are getting lost in the weeds here. The only issue I have is Brianna literally lying on national television because the Sander's campaign default position on EVERYTHING is doubling down and trying to deflect to someone else.
That's what I'm asking though. What lie? No one's pointed out what the lie is.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
It's tragic that this is the conversation about Bernie's base of support comes back to that some really small, hyper-engaged part of them can be kind of mean.

The the wider, much more interesting discussion is that he started with a core of white resentment voters, mostly college educated, that were pissed off by the impact of the Great Recession and it's extremely painful human cost. He's managed since to expand his appeal and retain that base without changing his core messaging. Bernie is actually a really good politician

Not so good with policy ( actually , kind of yikes) , not such a good legislator, not such a good administrator. But super good politican.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The first showdown with congress is going to be epic.
eh. The guy has been in Congress for like 30 years. I don't think his relationship with Schumer and Pelosi, if he becomes president, is going to be nearly as fraught or incendiary as some people think. He knows how those chambers work, and he knows getting things done is a numbers game more than anything.

A lot of it also depends on his running mate choice too, since his VP would have more interacts with Hill leadership than Bernie himself necessarily would.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
The first showdown with congress is going to be epic.
A lot of people are sleeping on congressional primaries. There are a ton (think dozens) of far left progressivesand democratic socialist contenders challenging even congressional leadership like AOC. Some will break through and make headlines months before the GE. This is gonna be a wild summer and fall.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. People demand proof from candidate
2. Candidate releases proof
3. Proof is legally and reasonably credible (those 3 letter are authoritative)
4. People say it's insufficient and that that the candidate must be hiding something

This is getting filled in the same drawer as 'a sanders surrogate attempted to dox someone' by saying they'd never heard of that handle as asked who they are.
Right, that's not the issue here.

The issue is that the campaign made a promise, then broke it and when questioned on breaking that promise, the campaign surrogate deflects with the lie that Bloomberg had a heart attack and goes on to compare being asked to follow through with a promise of further medical disclosure with birtherism.

It's toxic behavior.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people are sleeping on congressional primaries. There are a ton (think dozens) of far left progressivesand democratic socialist contenders challenging even congressional leadership like AOC. Some will break through and make headlines months before the GE. This is gonna be a wild summer and fall.
It doesn't change the numbers unless we have some kind of killer majority where moderate votes don't matter.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with passing progressive legislation isn't with the leadership, it's with the Manchins and Sinemas and Blue Dogs on the hill.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
That's what I'm asking though. What lie? No one's pointed out what the lie is.
She lied and said Bloomberg had multiple heart attacks. He didn't. He had a stress test, showed some blockage 20 years ago, and had stents put in. It's what's supposed to happen to prevent a heart attack. In an attempt to deflect criticism from her candidate, she made up shit about another one. That's not okay. She's even gone on twitter and said she "misspoke." (She didn't. She lied. There's a difference.)

Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty sad that Edward Snowden accused Trump of dangling a pardon for covering up Russian involvement in the DNC hack today and it barely even made a blip. In normal times, this would have killed any president's efforts at re-election.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Okay, so I have issue with this. There are going to be people, left right and center, who are going to have questions about Bernie. They're going to have questions about his fitness for office. They're going to have questions about his policies. If you are immediately going to just say YOU'RE JUST A HATER to everyone who isn't on board....you're going to lose. By a lot. Everything is not a slight against Bernie. He is going to get questions from literally all directions. And if his campaign is going to handle that by lying or just saying "ITS A GOTCHA WHO CARES" .... this is not going to go well.
Ok, but what specifically isn't satisfactory from the letters of 3 physicians? Bernie said he was going to release records after his heart attack sometime in October. He released them right before 2020.

Let's stop pretending what he released isn't enough, that wanting more is irrational, and that he fulfilled what he initially stated. Anything more is just demanding something that isn't needed (which means it doesn't matter), and that he's a layperson who doesn't know what is satisfactory or not. If he said he going to release anymore, nobody should care. What he released is satisfactory.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to continue to respond like this when you guys are being ridiculous. It's so obvious what you guys are doing. You guys are trying to turn this into a bigger deal because it makes your position of not liking him look more rational in your eyes. Not all of us want to entertain these kind of irrational little fights.

Oh and Briahna on CNN said a lie about Bloomberg, the racist shitheel. Like I give a shit. I wouldn't do it and would rather that didn't happen, but that's one of the things I'm least concerned about. I trust her moral judgement more often than not so that lie (assuming she lied), isn't all that important to me. She's not Sarah Huckabee. Far from it. She's fighting for a good cause. Taking all this into account, I'm not going to disqualify her.

Last edited:

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty sad that Edward Snowden accused Trump of dangling a pardon for covering up Russian involvement in the DNC hack today and it barely even made a blip. In normal times, this would have killed any president's efforts at re-election.

Trump has been very successful at overwhelming people with such a constant flow of crap that it doesn't surprise me any more when things slip through like this. It also "helps" that Assange/covering for Russia is now a good thing for Republican officials and their voters.

Plus, I do feel it's more important to debate whether the information on Bernie's nose hairs in his medical records should disqualify him from being the nominee (it should!).

Status
Not open for further replies.