• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie will get the nom if he gets a plurality of votes, but you know Bloomberg's punk ass will run as a third-party spoiler on as many ballots as he can.

How the fuck did we get to Bernie and Bloomberg as the two candidates with the most likelihood of winning the nomination? I think Bernie would lose to Trump heads up, but you know Bloomberg will put his rich ass in the mix somehow on top of that.

The right wing destroying the country by propping up a know-nothing (and, spiritually, Know Nothing) billionaire who hates everybody who isn't a rich white dude has such a far reach that now billionaires are jumping in on our side and getting play just because they might be able to beat the other billionaire who is also a piece of shit who wants to destroy the lives of everyone who has a little melanin/a different sexual orientation/is poor.

We're on a race to the bottom here, and it is once again that I thank God for federalism because at least I can live in a state that can, ultimately, ignore or sidestep the federal government as much as possible, and even stacking SCOTUS doesn't mean that the executive will necessarily listen to SCOTUS (which doesn't actually execute legislation).

What we're headed for is a handful of blue states that slowly progress toward egalitarian societies and a bunch of red states that are poor, mean, and that will be a continued drag on the rest of us.

Again, the union has outlived its usefulness and we should really split up into multiple countries, but obviously that's not going to happen. It should, though. I think the best use of a trillion+ dollars in spending is just creating borders and giving people the cash that they need to re-patriate to the newly-formed country of their choice.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
The Amy and Pete data perfectly showcase how out of touch the pundit class is. These are the people you want to promote?

I mean Pete might be a mess in that head 2 head but Amy still has really low name recognition even among Democrats. That is/will change but I'm not surprised she's getting dunked there at this point in time.

What we're headed for is a handful of blue states that slowly progress toward egalitarian societies and a bunch of red states that are poor, mean, and that will be a continued drag on the rest of us.

Yeah, the reality of things is that states will kind of just choose to ignore laws and regulations and set their own standards. Blue states will team up directly w/ business over regulations, red states will ignore/challenge in court/block implementation of Democratic programs. It's a way that people and governing bodies can revert to something resembling majority rule run by a legislature and carried out by an executive.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I don't see how a contested convention doesn't give Trump a good chance of a win no matter the layout.

This is the point. If it goes contested at all, the party takes a massive hit.

Its in the interest of everyone to avoid one and settle on a candidate on the first ballot.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
We're already headed in that direction.

I'd disagree. The GOP is very, very old as a coalition, and the last 4 years under Trump have done horrific damage to the GOP's popularity with everyone under 40.

Old people vote disproportionately to everyone else, but within a decade or so that coalition will die off, leaving a gen X/millennial/gen z electorate that's a lot more diverse and a lot more progressive.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think a contested convention, by itself, is some harbinger of doom and gloom for November. It would depend entirely on how it played out, but just having it come to that isn't really worrying to me.

It actually feels kind of appropriate given how the primary is playing out so far. Democrats en-masse know they want to beat Trump, they just don't know who exactly to get behind to do that. A nominee out of the convention could be a bit of a unifying factor.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'd disagree. The GOP is very, very old as a coalition, and the last 4 years under Trump have done horrific damage to the GOP's popularity with everyone under 40.

Old people vote disproportionately to everyone else, but within a decade or so that coalition will die off, leaving a gen X/millennial/gen z electorate that's a lot more diverse and a lot more progressive.
We'll fucking see. Thought 10 years ago this country was headed in the right direction. Instead shit just got even more divided.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Occam's razor-Trump's campaign and the GOP have so much re-election money sloshing around that even people not on good terms can't ignore not getting their cut in.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Avenatti blocked me on twitter a while back for some really weak sauce joke about him being professionally and personally knowledgeable about bail conditions. Today I giggle.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
We'll fucking see. Thought 10 years ago this country was headed in the right direction. Instead shit just got even more divided.

www.pewresearch.org

The 2018 midterm vote: Divisions by race, gender, education

There were wide differences in voting preferences between men and women, whites and nonwhites, as well as people with more and less educational attainment.

Voter preference is pretty split for voters 45 and up.

Under that? 18-29 goes democratic by a 67-32 margin, 30-44 by a 58-39 margin.

Contrary to popular belief, voters don't get more conservative as they get older, political preference tends to fix around your 20s. This is why those voters who came of age during the Nixon impeachment leaned democratic even into old age.

The Trump shit has massively screwed the GOP for a VERY long time, but Older voters voting disproportionately to every other age bracket has obscured this.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Bloomberg Law on Twitter

โ€œBREAKING: Avenatti is found guilty in New York extortion trialโ€

#basta

A well deserved fate.

Hearing his name again though reminds me of when people were panicking and floating around random celebrities like Oprah and the Rock as potential nominees for 2020. As bitter as things are getting between the different camps at the moment, it's at least nice to know were fighting between people with actual political experience.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Looks like there's a new SC poll with Biden only +8 ahead of Bernie.

Biden is -9 since their last one and Bernie is +6.
surveyresearch-ecu.reportablenews.com

ECU Center for Survey Research

South Carolina Democratic Primary: Biden's Lead Shrinks. Sanders Closing in. Steyer in Third.

Last edited:

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Bernie Sanders phone sex hotline ๐Ÿ‘€

oh no

it would be interesting to see polling about if Bloomberg's heart attack and age are a concern for voters
Bloomberg's awful history and policy kind of overshadow that sort of thing, at least for me. For Sanders, since I mostly agree with him policy-wise, that kind of stuff is more relevant, if that makes sense. It doesn't dissuade me from voting for him, but it is a concern.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018

South Carolina Democratic Primary: Biden's Lead Shrinks. Sanders Closing in. Steyer in Third.

Holy shit, Bernie in 2nd in South Carolina. And not too far off from Biden either.

I feel like Bernie having a strong second-place finish would be huge for him.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Conducted by Lucid (B/C pollster) for online and IVR using LV
Biden: 28%
Bernie: 20%
Steyer: 14%
Pete: 8%
Klob: 7%
Warren: 7%
Bloomberg: 6%
Tulsi: 1%

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Really is wild how Bernie gets shit for endorsing primaries against dems and running as an Independent but when someone donated thousands to Republicans and was an actual Republican mayor people think he's more palatable to the party as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.