• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Fuuuuuck.

Well uh here's to hoping it doesn't get that bad...

Fox news and Trump are very busy declaring the entire thing a media/democrat "hoax" and that there's nothing to worry about because it might hurt the stock market and his polling numbers.

The CDC has been massively defunded.

China is hoarding healthcare equipment, and virtually all of it is manufactured there.

We can't actually test for this virus in the vast majority of the population, due to administrative stupidity.

it's the worst possible time for this to hit.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Is the virus even that bad though? I may sound ignorant but unless you are old and/or have a compromised immune system you will get over the virus should you get it. To your point, the public panic and paranoia are a whole other thing and it's causing a bit of a problem, I see this first hand between friends, family and work.
Don't you have parents and grandparents?

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this is spreading faster than any viral infection in modern history. We went from 10 cases to 300 cases in the US within a span of 6 days and the crazy thing is that it's in ALL parts of the USA, from Hawaii, to the midwest, west, northeast and the south.
This is just a consequence of the detection apparatus coming online so late.

The virus came here in January. It has been spreading throughout the country since then. Because of the administration's testing guidelines, we simply weren't looking for it.

There aren't suddenly new infections. There are existing infections that we're now made aware of, likely too late to track and contain (so the virus will just do its thing, and we'll cope as best we can).

And the death rate is likely lower than estimates precisely because we've only been looking for it in very specific subsections of the populace (and it will remain this way, as only the most symptomatic will be qualified for testing, which we still have limited ability to perform even now). But it's still a major concern because a significant number of the infected will likely require treatment, which means hospitalization, which is something that most counties are wholly unequipped to handle. Rooms and supplies will run out, personnel will get sick or be stretched too thin.

Everyone who engages in nonessential travel and large gatherings at this point is being incredibly irresponsible. Even if you don't think you are at risk of serious consequences, catching the disease and spreading it only amplifies the epidemic.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Freaking out won't help anything. But neither will pretending it isn't real.

Take sensible precautions. Wash your hands etc. Don't stockpile toilet paper or buy dust masks. If you get it, get medical attention but otherwise stay home.

But if anyone claims it isn't real or a real threat, tell them to shut the fuck up.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fox news and Trump are very busy declaring the entire thing a media/democrat "hoax" and that there's nothing to worry about because it might hurt the stock market and his polling numbers.

The CDC has been massively defunded.

China is hoarding healthcare equipment, and virtually all of it is manufactured there.

We can't actually test for this virus in the vast majority of the population, due to administrative stupidity.

it's the worst possible time for this to hit.
Yeah it really is a perfect storm.

Also Trump can declare it a hoax but there is a legitimate concern among the population about it. Every day I get a lot of cases where people come in with just a regular cold/sneezing and they all think they have the Coronavirus. And I still have to take that shit seriously. Tests are already getting backed up hard and my state hasn't had a case yet to my knowledge but I know it's going to be a breeding ground for this shit here (high humidity, below sea level, poor health infrastructure, not a wealthy state to begin with etc.).

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
fwiw, although a vaccine is a long ways off, treatment options to make cases milder are still in play. Early studies and trials are starting to get reported out. The key is to slow the spread and keep buying time.

Oct 27, 2017
The one 50 year old who's essentially "responsible" for all the contacts/quaranties in my area got sick, but then got really sick and had to be hospitalized - after he got his whole family sick. He's starting to get better now. But hospitalization can happen, so it's serious enough to be alert with your hygiene and travel behavior.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, Mulvaney's new posting is actually another thumb in the eye to Obama:

During the 2008 U.S. presidential campaign in the United States, Democratic Party candidate Barack Obama was reported in The Irish Times as having questioned the necessity to keep a U.S. Special Envoy for Northern Ireland.[17] This drew a robust response from the Republican Party candidate, Senator John McCain, who strongly backed retaining a U.S. Special Envoy for Northern Ireland. The Senator criticized Senator Obama's position as demonstrating a willingness:[18]

Status
Not open for further replies.