• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
One of the problems four years ago was Trump winning most voters who viewed both candidates unfavorably. Would at least be nice to reverse that.

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the Democrats' favorables are that upside down in Wisconsin but still tying/beating Trump lends a lot of credence to the "voters who hate both candidates will vote overwhelmingly for the Democrat" theory.

That's the only thing I can take from it.

I know that shy Republicans are going to come home over the next few months, but Trump is incompetent and will fuck up the Coronavirus response (and of course that will only help to fuck up the economy), so what I mean is that this will be a long nine months in terms of polling/favorability for him.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
G. Elliot Morris has looked into that- it appears to be partisan non-response bias showing up, if you normalize the amounts of R/D/Is, its basically constant.
iirc, it's that some of the gains are real, but some of it is partisan non-response bias. I think a lot of it is soft partisan inevitably coming home too, which I think both Cohn and Silver have talked about too.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Sanders continues to look the best in GE matchups.
He is finally almost over the electability hurdle that has been plaguing his campaign for months now. It suppressed both his GE matchup numbers and national poll numbers. I'm not sure we've seen his ceiling yet. I expect that we'll finally know by Super Tuesday. I'm personally hoping for his RCP national average to sit comfortably above 35%

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any Democratic candidate in 2020 is as reviled as Hillary Clinton.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the Democrats' favorables are that upside down in Wisconsin but still tying/beating Trump lends a lot of credence to the "voters who hate both candidates will vote overwhelmingly for the Democrat" theory.
Some of it is also just primary stuff too.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I've decided to vote for Biden. I am not comfortable with Sanders as the nominee. I no longer need to vote for him to stop Bloomberg because Biden led the latest poll in OK. Warren has no chance in hell.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
I was referring to the part about this year's Iowa, where the lack of results really sapped Pete and Bernie hard. It takes days, even more than a week, to get the final results out for a race that's close.

Gotcha, no doubt. Washington sometimes gets a rep for being less diverse than it actually is, I think from being lumped with Oregon

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
But a lot of people hated Hillary and Trump and still went to Trump in 2016
Hillary was known, Trump was not. People who didn't like both figured they weren't going to get what they wanted with Hillary but took a gamble on Trump. Now Trump has been president for four years. He could still win, but voters can't project what they want out of Trump onto him now.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
But a lot of people hated Hillary and Trump and still went to Trump in 2016

The difference between 2016 and now is that, while I think the notion of Trump as an outsider is obviously laughable, it's at least true that Trump didn't have a legislative record to point to the way Clinton did. 4ish years of Federal office makes that not true any more.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
For those following the markets...

Multiple day big slides are way worse than a one-day crash, and that's what's happening. During Trump's term so far big drops are followed by big gains. I don't think we've seen a week of sustained losses this big at all. Will be interesting to see if there's a rally afterwards, if this settles somewhere as a correction, or if the slide continues.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Trump's record this 3 years has been so awful I don't even know which angle the candidate even starts at. It's like choice paralysis on the debate stage.

There hasn't been a SINGLE aspect in politics where he hasn't completely shit the bed in. Yes even including his house of cards economy with his bad trade deals, shitty tariffs, farmer/manufacturing decline, stagnating wages/inequality, worst stock decrease since 2008 etc.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
the WI general election polls and the SC primary polls have me bedwetting lol
Why? Biden basically staked everything on SC and iirc he won the black vote in NV, so he was expected to do well there. And the WI General Election polls show that despite people being even on Trump's approval and having a more favorable opinion of him than any of the Dems by a lot, the Dems are basically even/slightly ahead

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

9ldtz3L.png

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those following the markets...

Multiple day big slides are way worse than a one-day crash, and that's what's happening. During Trump's term so far big drops are followed by big gains. I don't think we've seen a week of sustained losses this big at all. Will be interesting to see if there's a rally afterwards, if this settles somewhere as a correction, or if the slide continues.
The beginning of new cases in the US doesnt sound like it will inspire a big boost.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg Yang is such a weird fucking concept. Except in their belief to just throw money at problems.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
Why? Biden basically staked everything on SC and iirc he won the black vote in NV, so he was expected to do well there. And the WI General Election polls show that despite people being even on Trump's approval and having a more favorable opinion of him than any of the Dems by a lot, the Dems are basically even/slightly ahead

I thought the blowout NV win + the Steyer effect would give Bernie a narrow win in SC or at least keep Biden to single digits. but we'll see.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Hillary was known, Trump was not. People who didn't like both figured they weren't going to get what they wanted with Hillary but took a gamble on Trump. Now Trump has been president for four years. He could still win, but voters can't project what they want out of Trump onto him now.
Well, plenty of people still will do exactly that. But hopefully fewer people.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Because I trust Biden to do what the party says, nominate and staff his administration with competent people, and not be - or let his zealots be - antagonistic toward congressional Democrats.

Yeah I am not buying this idea that Sanders is incabable of the same thing

At least with the majority of Democratic nominees... many of them have served in the Public sphere for a very long time

Why are we so hyperfocused on extreme elements all the time as a motivator for our decision making. Not saying I inherently think supporting Biden or your reasoning is bad or misplaced

But by the same token the negative labeling on Bernie definitely does seem misplaced

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy conspiracy time - if coronavirus support goes poorly trump jettisons pence from the ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.