• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
This is several levels above Ebola. Hit Trump where he is failing, but this is too important to fully politicize.
"The Presidents chief advisor lied that it was contained, Trump has cut funding for the groups we need to combat this, and his administration will not guarantee that vaccines or treatment will be free for everyone. He doesn't know what he's doing."

That's not political, just the truth. If you want to look at politicizing, look at Trump's own twitter feed in 2014 and the way he attacked Obama repeatedly during the ebola scare.

Dems need to make the message that with people being under-insured and with America's pro-employer culture, many people may choose to not seek medical attention and not self-isolate due to fear of personal cost, and that won't happen under M4A.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm certainly tempted dump off some stocks I've held onto for the past 3- 4 years. Got some ridiculous return on Apple and Amazon.

As for my Mutual Funds, godspeed. I plan to add to them once the market craters enough.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the market reacted to his press conference, his nonsensical appointment of unqualified people to look over this problem, and his statements that everything was fine.

I'm not seeing how attacking him over this is "politicizing" anything.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
(True story, the house he grew up in didn't actually have central heating in Ohio.)

What do you mean by central heating? Like they needed space heaters in each room?

Growing up the thermostats usually stayed at 60º – 64º was lavish for weekends and some evenings. In a larger house we had a lamp was mounted to the wall next to thermostat and turned on at night so the heating wouldn't kick in.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Officials at the Department of Health and Human Services sent more than a dozen workers to receive the first Americans evacuated from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, without proper training for infection control or appropriate protective gear, according to a whistleblower complaint.
The workers did not show symptoms of infection and were not tested for the virus, according to lawyers for the whistleblower, who is a senior HHS official based in Washington who oversees workers at the Administration for Children and Families, a unit within HHS.
The whistleblower is seeking federal protection because she alleges she was unfairly and improperly reassigned after raising concerns about the safety of these workers to HHS officials, including those within the office of Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar. She was told Feb. 19 that if she does not accept the new position in 15 days, which is March 5, she would be terminated.
The whistleblower has decades of experience in the field, received two HHS department awards from Azar last year, and has received the highest performance evaluations, her lawyers said.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The GOP had no qualms about politicizing ebola.

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Ebola has moved to the front of campaign issues before U.S. November elections, as fear and criticism of the government's response to cases of the virus in the United States opened a new line of Republican attacks against President Barack Obama and his fellow Democrats.

www.reuters.com

U.S. Republicans look to gain election ground on Ebola

Ebola has moved to the front of campaign issues before U.S. November elections, as fear and criticism of the government's response to cases of the virus in the United States opened a new line of Republican attacks against President Barack Obama and his fellow Democrats.

thehill.com

GOP renews attack on Obama’s Ebola response

Rep. Tim Murphy slammed Obama’s Ebola czar as “missing in action.”

Oct 25, 2017
Well according to that chart it's in the bottom half of pollsters--just outside the bottom one third even. 10 Pollsters were more accurate and only 7 were less accurate.
You're reading the chart wrong. Lower numbers are better. D4P, Elucd, and Emerson did best.

Monmouth hasn't had a great primary season but I imagine Nate cares more about the GE for ratings.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
D4P already confirmed an SC poll for tonight. So we got a couple big ones left to come today.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
If Democrats were half as effective as Republicans, they'd plaster this EVERYWHERE:

twitter.com

CNBC Now on Twitter

“BREAKING: Dow Jones Industrial Average records worst point drop ever on record, plummeting nearly 1,200 points https://t.co/T8yrpR8LHE”

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Well according to that chart it's in the bottom half of pollsters--just outside the bottom one third even. 10 Pollsters were more accurate and only 7 were less accurate.
I'm... not sure you're reading that chart the right way. Mean error is how off the pollster was across the races we've had so far - the lower the better.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
You can tell how shook Trump is just from his twitter. As recently as last month he was doing up to 142 tweets a day, most days dozens and dozens of them. Today, just one single tweet and that was an ad for his rally tomorrow. I bet he's bunkered down watching the stock ticker and crying.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
What do you mean by central heating? Like they needed space heaters in each room?

Growing up the thermostats usually stayed at 60º – 64º was lavish for weekends and some evenings. In a larger house we had a lamp was mounted to the wall next to thermostat and turned on at night so the heating wouldn't kick in.
They couldn't afford those either. They would turn the oven on to heat as much of the house as possible. That was it. My husband's dad died when he was 14, almost 15. My husband quit school and worked full time from then on to support his mom and sister. (He eventually went back to school and graduated college as well.) They went from barely getting by when his dad was alive to bread sandwiches 4 nights a week.

Like I said, I grew up solidly middle class. My dad was a retired news paper editor/director, and my mom was a teacher. We weren't rich by any stretch of the imagination, but there was never a time I worried about having money for all the things we needed and most of the things I wanted. So my husband and I appreciate having more means than either of us ever could have dreamed of growing up. Like when we were looking for a house to buy, my husband was adamant we buy one on the street we did. I had no idea why. But to him, growing up, only rich people could live on this side of town...so him having the means to buy that kind of house for his family was everything. (And for me, it was where I grew up and where my grandparents lived, so it never really stood out to me as anything unique.)

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
You can tell how shook Trump is just from his twitter. As recently as last month he was doing up to 142 tweets a day, most days dozens and dozens of them. Today, just one single tweet and that was an ad for his rally tomorrow. I bet he's bunkered down watching the stock ticker and crying.

Three days ago:

The stock market is all he had. If we're in a recession for the election, he'll get fucking destroyed.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Officials at the Department of Health and Human Services sent more than a dozen workers to receive the first Americans evacuated from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, without proper training for infection control or appropriate protective gear, according to a whistleblower complaint.
The workers did not show symptoms of infection and were not tested for the virus, according to lawyers for the whistleblower, who is a senior HHS official based in Washington who oversees workers at the Administration for Children and Families, a unit within HHS.
The whistleblower is seeking federal protection because she alleges she was unfairly and improperly reassigned after raising concerns about the safety of these workers to HHS officials, including those within the office of Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar. She was told Feb. 19 that if she does not accept the new position in 15 days, which is March 5, she would be terminated.
The whistleblower has decades of experience in the field, received two HHS department awards from Azar last year, and has received the highest performance evaluations, her lawyers said.

I'm betting Azar gets fired by Trump sometime soon

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
You're reading the chart wrong. Lower numbers are better. D4P, Elucd, and Emerson did best.

Monmouth hasn't had a great primary season but I imagine Nate cares more about the GE for ratings.
I'm... not sure you're reading that chart the right way. Mean error is how off the pollster was across the races we've had so far - the lower the better.

I interpreted that as being lower as an absolute value. Otherwise, why would you even include the negative symbol? Just chop it off an use the overall value--which is what I did. Basically, the distance from 0 (indicating no error, perfectly predicted final results) is how they should be ranked. I assume the positive and negative indicate how far in either direction they were off--either overestimating or falling short on individual candidates.

EDIT: Just saw the Mean error chart. By that metric, yes, they are 3rd best, my bad. I guess the chart I was looking at was movement from month to month which explains the negative values--Emerson's Mean MoE went down due to more accurate predictions in IA/NH/NV.

Last edited:

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Every time I watch the market dip, and I see people worry about their investments and retirements, I remember how utterly fucked I am for staying at the family business and trying to keep this thing afloat. I'll be 40 in another year. I've got no investments, no savings, no health insurance, and the Boise housing market has blown up to a point where people who bought in our neighborhood four years ago could double their money today by selling their house. I'm just so completely fucked. I pay myself less than minimum wage, but because I'm an owner, I go deeper in debt to the IRS by about $2,500 every year. I don't know why I'm typing this. Aside from the tax code needing to be nicer to small business owners, it's all my fault for sticking around.

I feel bad, because I'm kinda rooting for a major recession. It'll help us win the election, and if I'm lucky, it'll drive down home prices without putting me out of business.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
New Hampshire has long been a state I thought Trump could flip in 2020, he's been doing a lot better in New England lately.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Having Buttigieg on the ticket just for securing NH and Iowa is... a strategy I hadn't thought of, actually.

They really, really love Buttigieg for some reason, and only these two states.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I watch the market dip, and I see people worry about their investments and retirements, I remember how utterly fucked I am for staying at the family business and trying to keep this thing afloat. I'll be 40 in another year. I've got no investments, no savings, no health insurance, and the Boise housing market has blown up to a point where people who bought in our neighborhood four years ago could double their money today by selling their house. I'm just so completely fucked. I pay myself less than minimum wage, but because I'm an owner, I go deeper in debt to the IRS by about $2,500 every year. I don't know why I'm typing this. Aside from the tax code needing to be nicer to small business owners, it's all my fault for sticking around.

I feel bad, because I'm kinda rooting for a major recession. It'll help us win the election, and if I'm lucky, it'll drive down home prices without putting me out of business.
Don't blame yourself too much. Half of Americans 55 and older have no retirement savings. Over half of Americans have less than $1000 in savings. You're far from alone in this.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
NH has had little polling, and what polling it has had shows a very clear advantage for basically every single Democrat.

This poll is a very obvious statistical outlier from the trend, add it to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.