• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
OK, I have brain worms for thinking Sanders' attacks on Planned Parenthood, an organization that has helped my girlfriend and countless other women, because they didn't write a blank check in 2016 after he attacked them.

Good job on community outreach! Super helpful and accommodating!

Edit: You know the most galling part? I'll vote Sanders if he is the nominee, as I have always voted D, every ballot, every year since 2004. Can't assume the same of others. I'm a dirty fucking centrist for supporting us no matter what. You get to be a fickle, but "pure" jackass.
None of this is actually a response to what I wrote. You read what you wanted to read, certainly.

when I said you all need to chill, I meant it.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
No matter what happens in the election, the Republican base is still the Republican base, still just as crazy as always. So to answer your question, get way more extreme because they won't be allowed to do anything else.
But logically, just getting to the Romney level of values, would allow them to be competitive as there would be Democrats that don't want to be in Bernie's Green Party, but are alienated by the Republican Party positions on social issues. The extremists don't really have another choice but to get on board.

Just seems to make sense that they'd not want to abandon any hope of winning office going forward and Bernie is the best office is the best way for them to get away from the Trumpish side.

Oct 25, 2017
But logically, just getting to the Romney level of values, would allow them to be competitive as there would be Democrats that don't want to be in Bernie's Green Party, but are alienated by the Republican Party positions on social issues. The extremists don't really have another choice but to get on board.

Just seems to make sense that they'd not want to abandon any hope of winning office going forward and Bernie is the best office is the best way for them to get away from the Trumpish side.
Considering the MAGA base is huge and Trump will likely still be alive (unfortunately), the chances of them moderating is at 0.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Considering the MAGA base is huge and Trump will likely still be alive (unfortunately), the chances of them moderating is at 0.
McCain and Jeb refused GWB help and the party quickly disowned him. Going further MAGA does not really help them unless they're content with being the minority party going forward.

I'm trying to look at the glass half full with Bernie.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019

I don't mean this to be snobby, but are you new to this? You're right in a stone cold logic way, but that isn't what feeds the Republican beast. After the 2012 postmortem the party identified a moderate track as the roadmap to the future. But the base and the leadership rejected this wonky thinking. They live off of hate to sustain the base. They're too far in now to course correct without sending their body politic into shock. If they did pull a 180 it would destroy their chances for a generation as they sacrifice one base for another. Furthermore, the bigoted base won't relent at this point. If the party did a 180, these bigots would spin off into their own party and split the vote. We can't put this genie back in the bottle.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I try to find positives of a Bernie presidency. Apart from the courts, that I really care about, I wonder what it means for the Republican Party. Do they get more extreme or moderate?

2020 who knows what the voting public will do but the loss of moderates, the fall of the suburbs to Democrats speaks to a more narrow party. We'll see if Bernie propels them back to trump (or non-voting) (ugh) but im gonna wager no.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
There is literally 0% chance

that a Sanders type of candidate would have been able to get the rules changed to let them into the debates at this point in the primary in a similar way Bloomberg did regardless of what they were polling at

when the people in charge are willing to give "anyone but Bernie " a shot but not the other way around like no shit people wonder about the motives of the people in charge

Yeah. How DARE the DNC invite Bloomberg on stage so that Warren could rip the spine out of his body on Live TV and cause his favorables to drop 30 points with MODERATE Democrats. OBVIOUSLY, they should have left him off the stage so that Bloomberg could shield himself with his ads, which have been tricking voters into thinking he was endorsed by Obama, keep his favorables higher and get a bunch of delegates on Super Tuesday.

What was the DNC thinking?!?!?!?!

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I don't mean this to be snobby, but are you new to this? You're right in a stone cold logic way, but that isn't what feeds the Republican beast. After the 2012 postmortem the party identified a moderate track as the roadmap to the future. But the base and the leadership rejected this wonky thinking. They live off of hate to sustain the base. They're too far in now to course correct without sending their body politic into shock. If they did pull a 180 it would destroy their chances for a generation as they sacrifice one base for another. Furthermore, the bigoted base won't relent at this point. If the party did a 180, these bigots would spin off into their own party and split the vote. We can't put this genie back in the bottle.
Eh, not new. Jaded, but not new. Fresh faced college freshman Chaos Legion was a member of both Obama 2008 and College Republicans. I had sat in on many conversations during my time with College Republicans when they had taken stock of the McCain defeat and looked at the path forward relied on more outreach and essentially moderating the platform. Then the Tea Party craziness happened beginning in 2009.

My initial query was based on a THR article I was just reading about Hollywood and Bloomberg. Seemed like it made sense that if Bernie is to beat Trump, it marks an opportunity for the Republican Party to reinvent itself using that loss as the cause. And moderating a little bit to just 2012 levels, would allow them to expand their base and remain competitive. But they very well could become more extreme. But I don't see how that won't cost them relevancy for years.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...

Everyone and everything is terrible

Well, he's right, but he kinda needs to explain what that might imply if he thinks it means anything. And what does it mean? Unless I'm getting paid to explain, I sure as hell don't know. And even in that case I'd probably be wrong. If he wants to say outright "THAT MEANS BERNIE IS BAD" then just fucking say it, god.

I'm sure at least 4 of the 8 people in the crowd agreed. (Sorry Joe, your crowds suck, even if it isn't what loses you the primary)

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
:me after getting my son back to sleep:
Oh man a ton of new pages what happened....
:reads:
Oh....

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
I could see the GOP moderating in the event of a President Sanders, just not in the way people expect.

they continue to be just as reactionary on social issues, but veer towards the left on basic economic issues.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
:me after getting my son back to sleep:
Oh man a ton of new pages what happened....
:reads:
Oh....

Haha you should be proud you didn't even need to incite a Bernie fight this time! Anyway, I read all this as well. I like the fights because I'm never in them but can still nod or scoff or laugh from friendly confines.

Oct 25, 2017
Just the sheer desperation that sets in before the end.

Honestly my blood froze a bit at the end of the Nevada debate when every candidate except Bernie refused to say that the nominee with the most delegates should get the nomination if a proper majority isn't reached at the end of the primary. That told me a lot about how desperate a lot of these candidates potentially are right now.

I expected Bloomberg to say he'd be cool with that and I understand that that method is probably Warren and Biden's best bet at nabbing the nomination if they aren't able to bounce back and properly compete with Bernie after Super Tuesday... but seeing Warren in particular try to talk around that shit really haunted me, considering her previous comments and calls to remove the Electoral College.

I completely understand the frustrations in here over Bernie reverting away from his recent calls for unity and challenging the DNC again, but in light of recent events and that particular moment in the debate, I can't entirely blame him either. Speaking as someone who believes that Warren would likely be the most effective President of the various candidates and the arguments for why it might be smarter to vote for a more moderate candidate, that uniform refusal to differ to the will of the voters is haunting in its implications.

Do I expect something like that to actually happen this summer? No. But that sort of tactic shouldn't be discussed or even attempt to validate it right now. It feels like a betrayal of what the Democratic Party has been calling out against for the past several years.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly Russia probably doesn't want Biden to get the nomination. He's probably right. Dude is so boring they have to make up oppo against him.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
DNC rules are rules. Everyone agreed to them when they started their campaigns. Don't have a majority? Work a deal out, no one wants chaos and rioting.

I get that the left in the party is awkwardly domiciled with the moderates and establishment Dems. But all we can do is try to get the rules right and stick with them so everything is fair.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Honestly my blood froze a bit at the end of the Nevada debate when every candidate except Bernie refused to say that the nominee with the most delegates should get the nomination if a proper majority isn't reached at the end of the primary. That told me a lot about how desperate a lot of these candidates potentially are right now.

I expected Bloomberg to say he'd be cool with that and I understand that that method is probably Warren and Biden's best bet at nabbing the nomination if they aren't able to bounce back and properly compete with Bernie after Super Tuesday... but seeing Warren in particular try to talk around that shit really haunted me, considering her previous comments and calls to remove the Electoral College.

I completely understand the frustrations in here over Bernie reverting away from his recent calls for unity and challenging the DNC again, but in light of recent events and that particular moment in the debate, I can't entirely blame him either. Speaking as someone who believes that Warren would likely be the most effective President of the various candidates and the arguments for why it might be smarter to vote for a more moderate candidate, that uniform refusal to differ to the will of the voters is haunting in its implications.

Do I expect something like that to actually happen this summer? No. But that sort of tactic shouldn't be discussed or even attempt to validate it right now. It feels like a betrayal of what the Democratic Party has been calling out against for the past several years.

Most charitable interpretation is they're all pros and you don't concede anything in case there is a contested convention and you need to negotiate. I think this apply to most of them.

Most uncharitable interpretation is they're all hungry and you saw the mask slip. I think this applies to some of them.

Being gross isn't going to cut it. Burisma was a thing for a reason.

Biden supported the Iraq War, supported NAFTA and the TPP, was on tape calling for social security and Medicare cuts. Trump would crush him in the Rust Belt on this.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most charitable interpretation is they're all pros and you don't concede anything in case there is a contested convention and you need to negotiate. I think this apply to most of them.

Most uncharitable interpretation is they're all hungry and you saw the mask slip. I think this applies to some of them.
Bernie wouldn't agree to that in 2016. You can't make that sort of promise without knowing how the delegates are actually playing out.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It just bugs me how disingenuous the whole anti-establishment fervor is on the left. Like, if Bernie were to win and accomplish even half of his policy goals, 90%+ of the Democratic party would be overjoyed. The reason many of us oppose him isn't because we're scared of what he might do as President, it's because we fear he either won't beat Trump or won't deliver Congress.

So yeah, it's annoying to be characterized as some kind of establishment schill for legitimate concerns about Bernie's electability or ability to govern. The idea that we're a bunch of elites scared that Bernie is coming after our wealth and power is just absurd.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure why your blood would freeze over something like that. The only reason bernie did what he did is because he's in the lead. This is the same guy that wanted one in 2016. Everyone on that stage was looking out for their own interest with that question.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, warren, but also Bloomberg is a personality vacuum and he was destined to flop as soon as he had to start talking. There's a reason Bloombito took off. The guy is just a wood plank.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why your blood would freeze over something like that. The only reason bernie did what he did is because he's in the lead. This is the same guy that wanted one in 2016. Everyone on that stage was looking out for their own interest with that question.

There's extra irony in Sanders getting the mechanism for crowning a plurality leader without a fuss nerfed hard (Super Delegates).

Instead of the institutional power of sitting congressmen, senators, and governors, the power to pick a winner may rest in the leader's competitors.

Oct 25, 2017

That's fair. You're not wrong about Bernie. However, as far as I can remember, Bernie's desire for such a scenario in 2016 was always unrealistic and felt like a joke at the time (though naturally one can argue whether or not it hurt Hillary in the general).

Here, the scenario is absolutely a real possibility. I don't think I've seen anyone here argue otherwise and we've all discussed possible outcomes if such a situation were to occur this year. And we know for sure that Bloomberg's plan in particular hinges on this happening and at this point, it feels like the most likely way for most other candidates running still to land the nomination too.

To me, it's just rather frightening how we're even in a situation where we're talking about how our votes just might not even matter at all in the primary because of various candidates' personal interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.