• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

It's a shame America is sexist and that she used to be a Republican...

Holy shit this is amazing.
I've only seen the first part of the debate, I had to leave for my birthday dinner.

Any clips / footage of the debate? I particularly want to see where Klob went in near full Stabler-throwing Rage mode.

From the first half I saw, Warren was abusing the Nevada open-carry laws and basically held the entire stage at gunpoint. Biden actually showed some fire at times. Bernie was Bernie. I didn't see much of Booty and Klob before I left.
Happy birthday fam.
:V

Dan Patterson @DanPatterson

CBS News obtained the Nevada Democratic Party's caucus worker tech plan to replace the Shadow app and it's pretty much just a Google Doc loaded onto an iPad.https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nevada-democrats-to-caucus-workers-dont-make-early-dinner-plans …
via @CBSNews

8:23 AM - Feb 20, 2020

www.cbsnews.com

Nevada Democrats to caucus workers: "Don't make early dinner plans"

CBS News obtained the Nevada Democratic Party's caucus worker tech plan to replace the Shadow app and it's pretty much just a Google Doc loaded onto an iPad.
A 177-page presentation included background information about the Nevada caucuses, election-day protocols for precinct workers, and instructions about how to use the caucus calculator, the tool precinct leaders will use to tabulate and report local caucus results.
The caucus calculator tool was developed rapidly to replace Shadow, the mobile app widely blamed for causing problems during the Iowa caucuses. A spokesperson for the Nevada Democratic Party would not disclose the developers who built the tool but told CBS News that "security experts" had examined and approved it.
The Nevada Democratic Party insists the caucus calculator is not an "app." Instead, a party official explained to CBS News that the caucus calculator is "off the shelf technology" — a bookmarked Google Doc that precinct officials will log into at caucus locations on party-purchased iPads equipped with wi-fi and 4G cellular connectivity. That could help avoid a problem that occurred in Iowa, where some workers were unable to download the Shadow app.
The party official described the process as "incredibly low tech and simple." Precinct leaders will use the iPads to tabulate votes but will report the results of each caucus through a phone number the party will distribute securely on election day. Each vote will have a paper backup, the official said.
The Caucus Express training guide provides instructions on how to use the calculator. For example, step one asks users to "Open the Caucus Calculator on your iPad" and to "Hold the iPad horizontally" before logging in to the calculator. Each of the remaining 13 steps highlights how to use the Caucus Math Poster, a formula used by the party to count participants and assign voter preferences.
----------------
The Nevada Democratic Party spokesperson brushed off CBS News' security questions about the use of Google Docs on an iPad and stated that the state party had consulted with the DNC and Department of Homeland Security on election security "best practices."
The state party spokesperson said the caucus calculator Google Doc was devised after working with a "group of independent cybersecurity and tech experts," including advisors from Google, the consultancy group DigiDems, and "private cybersecurity firms." The spokesperson declined to share specifics about which firms advised using Google Docs, but reiterated that "no voter data will be transmitted from iPads."

Still better than Iowa's app

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Adam Best on Twitter

““After his performance tonight, I have no doubt he is about to drop another $100 million to erase America’s memory of what happened on that debate stage.” - Warren on her #DemDebate destruction of Bloomberg https://t.co/r4KWHRoMsP”

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I get 'different coalition' but this is YIKES. This is the group we won 2018 with.

fdtKz1K.png
Kinda feel sick now

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Those numbers keep getting posted, but Bernie is winning 51/45 in the poll and does better than anyone besides Biden who is at 52/45.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Also what was Biden doing this debate?

I get he needs to stop Bloomberg's surge, but once it became clear that Warren and Bernie were going to beat Bloomberg over the head, he should have realized it was the perfect time for him to get stuck into Bernie to improve his chances in Nevada and South Carolina.

He belatedly seemed to realize in his closing statements name dropping a bill he didn't have time to explain, but he's done nothing to really help himself.
Bloomberg has soaked up more of Biden's support than Bernie has. If Biden wants to win these people, it's not enough to have just other candidates go after Bloomberg, he has to go on the attack himself. Biden supporters that might have drifted to Bloomberg wouldn't necessarily go back to supporting Biden if they only saw Liz and Bernie going after him. His strategy made sense to me, and I think it's the best he's ever come off in a debate (and it's telling how much relatively worse he was when contrasting against everyone else on stage vs. taking on Bloomberg directly...he just looked and sounded way more commanding teeing off on Bloom).

When he wasn't too busy bickering with Amy.

Seriously they barely touched Bernie, it's 2016 GOP primary all over again.
Pete went after Bernie probably more than anyone and more often. His twisting the knife into Klobuchar probably overshadowed everything else though. That exchange was maybe a few mins long but felt like ages.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I'm at my doctors office, and my doctor walked in, saw my Warren shirt and said "Did you see her murder that man on live TV?"

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
You could practically see the hate radiating off klobuchar. It seemed like she was ready to explode.

In saying this I am very conscious of two things, however:

1) I'm pro Pete
2) Due to the inherent sexism in our culture women are viewed extremely negative when they get angry.

I've tried to account for both the factors in how I viewed her performance tonight, but even doing so I am taken aback by how she performed.
So I watched it since I asked but I'll give my impressions and you can tell me what you think.

I was kinda flabbergasted at the body language she gave. During the exchange not only did she not have much eye contact with Pete (exception: Her weak "Ar you calling me stupid attack") she was practically staring down at her podium at times. Given she's such a piece of shit behind closed doors I didn't expect her to exude the level of weak.

Yeah the lack of endorsements during her peak was telling. These people straight up just don't like Bernie or Warren lol.
Maybe you're right in the specific time frame but according to 539 convoluted endorsement primary, she was doing better than everyone no named Joe Biden or Kamala Harris at the time.
projects.fivethirtyeight.com

The 2020 Endorsement Primary

Which Democratic candidates are getting the most endorsements from party elites?

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Will we see any high profile resignations or anything if Trump just pardons his close buddy immedietly after he's sentenced to years in prison?

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
F R E E L U N C H

Ainsley Earhardt on Mike Bloomberg: "Why would he apologize for being a billionaire? ... You go over to Bloomberg TV, you know he provides free food for everyone at lunch, so they don't leave the building, they continue to work, but it's a beautiful restaurant."

Diamond and Silk's newest member

Fox News found a black woman in Arizona to go on TV and say Donald Trump is not a racist: "I did my research. I don't see him being racist at all. And if he's a racist he's not a good one."

My god, the absolute horror of people having healthcare

"the democratic platform represents medicare for all as medicare, and that's not what's gonna happen. it's gonna go to universal healthcare, and every single one of us -- all 330 million of us -- are going to end up with universal healthcare."

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ambassador to ODNI:

A majority of them describe Grenell as a vain, narcissistic person who dishes out aggressively, but can barely handle criticism. His brash demeanor, some claim, hides a deep insecurity, and they say he thirsts for the approval of others. ...They also say Grenell knows little about Germany and Europe, that he ignores most of the dossiers his colleagues at the embassy write for him, and that his knowledge of the subject matter is superficial. [Der Spiegel]

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
then that makes them stupid because she's their only shot of beating Bernie.
I mean, do they just see her as female Bernie? And do we know if the "not her" sexism is more rampant on a certain end of the ideological scale?

Because if they see her a female Bernie... that might be even worse to them.
Man, I wish Kamala had been better.

The majority of NV probably voted before the debate. That's going to be the discussion for the next news cycle, not the debate.
Yep, there's going to have to be some exit surveys showing a reversal of fortune during caucus day to help give her a comeback narrative.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
A majority of them describe Grenell as a vain, narcissistic person who dishes out aggressively, but can barely handle criticism. His brash demeanor, some claim, hides a deep insecurity, and they say he thirsts for the approval of others. ...They also say Grenell knows little about Germany and Europe, that he ignores most of the dossiers his colleagues at the embassy write for him, and that his knowledge of the subject matter is superficial. [Der Spiegel]
Now who does this sound like

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I lol'd when Bloomberg said he worked very hard for his billions and Bernie shot back, "maybe the people working for you had a little something to do with that."

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
It would be one thing if Trump was appointing super experienced, highly qualified pieces of shit to these massively important positions. But he's regularly appointing dudes that wouldn't even cut it as low level members of these agencies.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
My feelings about last night (I didn't watch and only heard clips):

Go Warren, cutting into Bloomberg. While she's my preferred remaining candidate, even if she doesn't get a big bounce out of this, it will be worth it if Bloomberg collapses. I'd love him to drop out so that we can go back to "vote blue no matter who" without qualifications.

Bernie's not my guy, but if he ultimately benefits from this debate and a potential Bloomberg drop, so be it. He's better than most of the field, whatever issues I have with him. Just as long as Bloomberg is gone.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Natasha Bertrand on Twitter

“😳 Grenell is...still going to be ambassador to Germany while serving as acting DNI. He’s also Trump’s special envoy to Kosovo and Serbia as @nahaltoosi notes. https://t.co/rcf230EIup”

German hopes have been dashed.

Oct 30, 2017
I hope Warren's debate performance reminds voters that she's still here and still one of the best candidates. It'd be nice to see some upward movement from her.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I just hope its fluctuations.... i think th eprimary is distrcting people from Trump being a shitbag. The nominee has to be merciless.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Look at G. Elliott Morris's tweet from yesterday. Since October, Trump's approval has increased only 0.5% among pollsters that weight for partisanship and 2016 vote... which Gallup does not.
Until I see this mirrored in more polls/head to heads I'm going with non response bias.

Anything else defies logic.
Yes, Trump trails in H2Hs and struggles to get 45% of the vote.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also what was Biden doing this debate?

I get he needs to stop Bloomberg's surge, but once it became clear that Warren and Bernie were going to beat Bloomberg over the head, he should have realized it was the perfect time for him to get stuck into Bernie to improve his chances in Nevada and South Carolina.

He belatedly seemed to realize in his closing statements name dropping a bill he didn't have time to explain, but he's done nothing to really help himself.
Speaking of Biden's closing statements,I hate pulling a "was I the only one" because that has a very obvious answer almost every time, but still, was I the only one who was kinda coming completely turned off by him using his closing statements to directly go after another candidate on the stage like that?

'Cause that's not normal in these kind of debates, is it? Normally they're just mini-little stump-speeches. Using it to directly go after another candidate at the end of the debate completely out of nowhere like that, at a point where they have almost no chance to respond because they have to give their own closing remarks and stuff...

Like, I'm not even a Sanders fan at all, and I really, really did not like that at all because I've been in politics since 2008 (though not the primary because I'm a Michigander and if one looks up what happened to Michigan's delegates in 2008 combined with me being 18, and actually no, 17 until after the primary anyway (July birthday), understandable why I wouldn't have paid much attention to to the Obama/Clinton fight so can't speak if anything like that happened there), and I can't recall a specific example of a candidate directly going after another candidate (of the same party) in their closing remarks at this point in a primary like that.

It just felt very weird and unnecessary because of how sudden an unexpected that he'd use his closing statement to take shots at anyone, nevermind someone in particular.

Like in the grand scheme of things it's incredibly minor and that's just politics and pretty much anything is fair game, but is just really weirded me out and caught me off guard in that kinda way, if that makes sense.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know who these people are that said they disapproved of him a couple of months ago and approve now. Like, what triggered the change? He's embroiled in a new scandal every couple of days and has been impeached. So what has changed?

These are things that would surely have tanked any previous presidents approvals, but it's having the opposite effect here.

Status
Not open for further replies.