• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You just implied everyone who is voting for Warren instead of Bernie is somehow ignorant, delusional or a combination of the two. That's going to get a flippant response from me because it's insulting.

Warren is who I want to be the nominee. Therefore, I am voting for Warren to be the nominee. It's really, really, really simple.
i said nothing of the sort. that's completely unfair. at worst i implied disingenuousness.

i'm going to go ahead and put you on ignore. i apologize for repeatedly drawing out this reaction from you. clearly i'm stepping on your toes, which was never my intent. but i don't come to resetera to be personally insulted every other day and you don't seem to be able to stop yourself.

I'm voting Warren in CA. In fact, your post reminds me to mail in my ballot this afternoon!

I do understand what's on the line and will support whoever gets the nomination in the general. But this is a primary and not a coronation and I still prefer Warren.
by all means. i only wanted to make a point. that doesn't mean anyone has to agree with it.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its kind of funny how bluexy is getting such harsh treatment after making a fairly reasonable post

Disagreeing isn't harsh treatment. The harshest responses have been after the initial disagreement was met with insults about being disingenuous and pretending.

"if you want x to win, then vote for x" is not as simple as that then.

some people might not draw the line between primary and general election.

But that comment had nothing to do with the general election. It was made in a discussion about the primary.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
i'm going to go ahead and put you on ignore. i apologize for repeatedly drawing out this reaction from you. clearly i'm stepping on your toes, which was never my intent. but i don't come to resetera to be personally insulted every other day and you don't seem to be able to stop yourself.
I mean, feel free to ignore me if you wish. I did not personally insult you, but took issue with your post, as did many other people. Perhaps, and this is just a suggestion, maybe consider why a lot of us found that post insulting? That may not have been your intention, I'm sure it wasn't, but it definitely read that way to quite a few of us.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Voting Stein or Johnson in the primaries would not have helped elect Trump.
Disagreeing isn't harsh treatment. The harshest responses have been after the initial disagreement was met with insults about being disingenuous and pretending.

But that comment had nothing to do with the general election. It was made in a discussion about the primary.
but voting for warren (who has pretty much zero chance of winning at this point) would help biden and/or bloomberg over sanders. that is not as bad as helping trump win the general, but it's still bad.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
In 2016, Bernie people kept voting for Bernie long after he was mathematically eliminated, because that's who they were passionate about voting for. If you can't imagine why some of us might feel that same passion for Warren, I don't know what to tell you. It's real condescending to try and tell people who to vote for when their ideal candidate is still in the race.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but voting for warren (who has pretty much zero chance of winning at this point) would help biden and/or bloomberg over sanders. that is not as bad as helping trump win the general, but it's still bad.
No, it's not. Sanders isn't even my second choice candidate, why would I be tossing him a vote over my first choice?

It's not my job to give a vote to someone I don't want to see win the nom. If it was down to a combo of Sanders/Pete/Bloomberg I'd vote for him. But I'm up on Super Tuesday, so I don't have to worry about that.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't decide on a moderate-am waiting for ST results before sending in my ballot. Would prefer Mike/Amy but dunno if they are still going to be around (OK with Joe and Pete).

Would rather walk through a Lowe's parking lot in Everett barefoot than vote in a primary for Sanders.

I vomited at the "would prefer Mike/Amy," but we both know Bernie's gonna win WA, so hell, vote your heart, man.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In 2016, Bernie people kept voting for Bernie long after he was mathematically eliminated, because that's who they were passionate about voting for. If you can't imagine why some of us might feel that same passion for Warren, I don't know what to tell you. It's real condescending to try and tell people who to vote for, when their ideal candidate is still in the race.
And no one was saying "Vote for Hillary in the primary because she's going to win anyway", it was "She's going to win because Bernie doesn't have the votes and you should be prepared for that."

Laille

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, Steyer has always been like this weird almost-third behind Bernie and Warren for me. Hoping these reports of him going after Bernie during the debate tonight are overstated.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not personally opposed to strategic voting even in a primary. I might do that in Wisconsin when it comes up, but I feel it's way too early to be chastising people for not doing so. We've had three states vote!

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not. Sanders isn't even my second choice candidate, why would I be tossing him a vote over my first choice?

It's not my job to give a vote to someone I don't want to see win the nom. If it was down to a combo of Sanders/Pete/Bloomberg I'd vote for him. But I'm up on Super Tuesday, so I don't have to worry about that.

then people who voted for johnson or stein might not have helped get trump elected since there's no reason to think they would have ever voted for clinton.

and i actually agree with your original post. it's my personal view that everyone should vote for whoever they want to win, or not vote at all if they so choose. strategic voting is silly.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I've got better things to do than spend my time complaining about people who still want to support Warren but I will say that those of you voting for her because you find the idea of a Sanders presidency too uncomfortable to bear really need to think long and hard to yourselves about why you feel that way.

Oct 26, 2017
If multiple Democrats from the state, including a pretty progressive one, criticized it, there might've been something wrong with it!

People who just hand wave Sander's comments away or say "he's not wrong" are completely stuck in their own little bubble.

To give some of you an example, drug dealers in a lot of inner cities will fund youth athletic programs. They'll donate to churches or charities to build up "loyalty" in the neighborhood. Drug lords and dictators have used this tactic for decades and centuries. The most infamous example is Pablo Escobar. In a vacuum he did a lot of good deeds for Medellin in Colombia. He built parks, fed the poor, gave kids school money, and etc. But those "good deeds" were simply a carrot to lure the poor into being his own human shields and protection. In the darkness of night, he murdered many of those same people. Yes there were some that were loyal to Pablo, but many more lived in abject fear of him.

Just because Pablo Escobar built some schools, no one, especially not a Presidential candidate, would say, "Yeah Drug Cartels are bad, but building schools and funding a soccer team are a good thing!" It completely misses the forest for the trees. Anybody who has lived under an authoritarian regime, narco state, or gang neighborhood has a right to be offended by Sanders comments.

Trying to compare this to Obama who was in the middle of normalizing relations with Cuba doing a delicate diplomatic tap-dance is not close to the same thing as a Presidential candidate making those comments in an election cycle when he suppose to be projecting his ideals and priorities.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
then people who voted for johnson or stein might not have helped get trump elected since there's no reason to think they would have ever voted for clinton.

and i actually agree with your original post. it's my personal view that everyone should vote for whoever they want to win, or not vote at all. strategic voting is silly.
Strategic Voting in a primary is silly almost all of the time. In a general election it's literally a matter of life and death. Child Separation would not be happening in a Clinton administration. The Pandemic response force would not have been gutted.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
#nocontextcnn

279bb179-abcf-481b-9k8kko.jpeg

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Florida:

www.politico.com

2 Florida Democrats sue to keep Sanders off primary ballot

The complaint says the candidate is unqualified in a closed-primary state.
TALLAHASSEE — Two Florida Democrats are suing to block Bernie Sanders from running as a Democrat in the state's March 17 presidential primary.
In the lawsuit filed Monday in circuit court in Leon County, the plaintiffs ask that Sanders be disqualified from the Democratic primary because he's a declared independent.
The Florida Democratic Party labeled the complaint "ridiculous," and the Sanders campaign called it "spurious."
The complaint also seeks to prevent state election officials from counting any votes Sanders has already received. More than 244,000 Democrats have already voted by mail in Florida.
Karen Gievers, a former circuit court judge representing Frank Bach and George Brown, both Tallahassee Democrats, said Sanders should not be allowed on the Democratic ballot.

-------------​

"Florida is a closed primary state, yet here we have someone who is an independent on the Democratic ballot," said Gievers. "You can't be an independent and be a member of the party."
Gievers, when asked, described both Bach and Brown as military veterans and registered Democrats. In response to a follow-up question, she said Bach is her husband.
Juan Penalosa, the executive director of the Florida Democratic Party, called the lawsuit "ridiculous."
"The Florida Democratic Party executive committee voted unanimously to place Senator Sanders on the Florida ballot," Penalosa said. "Votes cast for the senator are valid and must be counted."
Gievers said she looked forward to hearing from Democratic Party attorneys, but also noted, "It's hard to think that voter suppression or dilution would be described as ridiculous by a party official."
Kolby Lee, a regional press secretary for Sanders, also was dismissive of the lawsuit.
"We're aware of the spurious complaint and it will not affect us. Bernie will be on the ballot in Florida," Lee said.

I saw this headline earlier when it was framed as "Florida Democrats file to keep Sanders off the ballot" instead of the correct "2 Florida randos".

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
y'all supporting warren pretending you don't know what's on the line with a biden nomination are being crazy disingenuous. you wouldn't be supporting warren if you didn't understand what's on the line. the gap between progressives and moderates is staggering when it comes to policy across the board. same as clinton supporters all know what a lie it was in 2016 being told there was no difference between her and trump.

so no, don't expect to be coddled and told "hey, warren's still got a 1% chance. vote for your dreams." the reality is stark. sanders, a progressive who will fight for virtually everything warren stands for too, has a good shot at the presidency. but it's not in the slightest certain. and the other option is biden/bloomberg. so folk voting super tuesday should know those odds now rather than after Super Tuesday when things will be cemented. if your goal is to put a progressive in the white house, if you can step beyond "fuck sanders," now is the time to vote strategically.

this isn't november. it's not an open race anymore.
I'm going to be perfectly honest. The reason you're getting so much pushback isn't because you're advocating for people to cast strategic votes for Sanders. This is a community of people who follow politics closely and your posts have a tendency to come across as talking down to people and you seem very quick to accuse people who disagree with you of being disingenuous. If your goal is to persuade people, this really isn't helpful.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strategic Voting in a primary is silly almost all of the time. In a general election it's literally a matter of life and death. Child Separation would not be happening in a Clinton administration. The Pandemic response force would not have been gutted.
allowing one the better-things-aren't-possible centrists to win the primary is certainly a matter of life and death to plenty of uninsured americans.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be perfectly honest. The reason you're getting so much pushback isn't because you're advocating for people to cast strategic votes for Sanders. This is a community of people who follow politics closely and your posts have a tendency to come across as talking down to people and you seem very quick to accuse people who disagree with you of being disingenuous. If your goal is to persuade people, this really isn't helpful.
thanks for the reply. i'll work on being less confrontational.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
allowing one the better-things-aren't-possible centrists to win the primary is certainly a matter of life and death to plenty of uninsured americans.

Any democrat in the White House will have a similar if not identical list of legislative accomplishments. All of them are to the left of what will realistically pass into law.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Why buy Hot Pockets in the first place? Hell, why even eat any of it?
I don't personally like them, except the ham and cheese Lean Pocket in a pinch. When I was in elementary school, I went to a private school and they had them a few times a week. I got so sick of them I rarely touch them now.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when we said that a vote for a third party was a vote for Trump, and we were admonished for saying that? Good times, good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.