1. Cheebo

Cheebo

Bernie never learns man.

2. adam387

adam387

Literally, the one policy position Trump has is he's racist. It's literally ALL he has. Bernie is implying here that he's not really racist, he just plays one on TV. Again, it's not a reach, it's another example of how anytime race comes into the mix, Bernie shoves his foot not so much in his mouth but down his own throat.

Racism is literally the ONE thing Trump is consistent on.

3. Frankish

Frankish

Bernie just stahp

4. Greg NYC3

Greg NYC3

So Trump has just been acting for the last 50 years then?

Someone come get your man!

5. Fork

Fork

[​IMG]

6. Brock Reiher

Brock Reiher

RBG is working out of the hospital now, lol

7. I get what he’s say but oof that’s is the worst anecdote he could go with. He still fumbles with race issues after so many missteps it’s hard to keep calling them accidents

8. Brock Reiher

Brock Reiher

Ehh, that central park 5 stuff was probably just Trump setting the stage for an eventual racially-charged presidential run.

9. Psychoward

Psychoward

Oh wait you werr serious yesterday?

10. Ramjag

Ramjag

Who gives a shit? It’s got nothing to do with the point he’s making. I’m no Bernie Stan by any means, but there’s nothing to get angry about when you read what he’s saying. I’ve read it twice now and don’t see the problem. He’s basically calling the guy a snake.

11. adam387

adam387

Why in the world are we giving Trump the benefit of the doubt on RACISM.

It's literally his entire platform!

12. Hopfrog

Hopfrog

When someone shows you who they are, over many decades and countless occasions, believe them. This shit goes back to the 1970s and housing discrimination against African-Americans with Trump all the way up through yesterday. Sorry Bernie, I think this is a "core value" of his. And yes, I get the point Bernie is trying to make - it is just not a particularly good one.

13. plagiarize

plagiarize
    Mighty Jagrafess Moderator

If he comes second, sure... VP if he wants it. But him failing to win the primary would be disqualifying for top of the ticket. Whoever wins the primaries should be top of the ticket.

You would be crippling the democrat ticket to screw over the person who wins the primaries, and you'd risk disenfranchising huge numbers of their supporters. Look at how many Bernie supporters were disenfranchised because they *think* he was robbed. Imagine if someone actually *was* robbed?

14. Brock Reiher

Brock Reiher

I'm joking lol

15. adam387

adam387

Oh thank god. lol

16. Y2Kev

Y2Kev

Beto/Winfrey

17. Frankish

Frankish

The real take is that racism is Trump's sole ideological consistency over the years.

I'm sure Bernie knows better. I think Bernie himself is a rather cynical politician. He knows white voters hate being labeled racist, so rather than call out Trump for racism he is calling him out for his lack of values, which turns off white voters way more than racism accusations.

These comments make sense because his 2020 primary strategy will be to consolidate white support and hope minorities split amongst everyone else with no Obama or Clinton in the picture. This is part of the reason I want Biden to run, because it would ruin this strategy.

18. Blader

Blader

Jesus. Are there really going to be 15,000 more votes out there for Nelson though?

19. VectorPrime

VectorPrime

Beto/Gritty

Or Gritty/Beto

20. Psychoward

Psychoward

The funny thing is, Trump has shown he has no issue changing stances to be more liked. But Bernie decided to use racism as his example and that's Trump's strongest constant....

21. Ramjag

Ramjag

I’m sure he’s racist and I’m sure that if it came down to it, he’d pretend to be another way if needed. The ending point of that quote is where he reiterates that dems should continue to placing trump and the gop on the defensive by making them vote against good legislation. It’s not an in-depth probe on trump’s mental state state or personal beliefs other than loosely implying that he’s got no real moral compass.

22. RustyNails

RustyNails

Marc Elias is overhyping this. The lead came down by 500 votes but it's still "mere" 15,000? Let's be realistic.

23. No there aren't.

24. Wonderment

Wonderment

Had last night's protests occurred right when Trump started his birth certificate nonsense, his whole candidacy might never have happened.

But quotes like this can get a good amount of people at the state level to vote against trump in 2020.

25. lmcfigs

lmcfigs

He’s saying Trump is an opportunist. You’d have to be pretty obtuse to miss the point.

26. Psychoward

Psychoward

Yes but again, racism is his strongest and longest stance. At best it was a bad example, at worse Bernie thinks Trump is just playing a racist.

27. Blader

Blader

I think the counterpoint you're missing is that racism actually IS a core value of Trump's.

28. Suiko

Suiko

Yes, on every issue but racism and his ego.
    This is just more in a long pattern of Bernie wanting to appeal to white racists at the expense of everyone else.

29. lmcfigs

lmcfigs

Omg okay

30. Wonderment

Wonderment

Sanders is wrong, though - taking a civil rights championship position would have netted him more votes and a larger inauguration crowd size. As president he is constantly shown how his numbers could be the largest, but he clings to his "beliefs" and then lies/fudges the numbers to compensate and puff himself up.

31. Hours Left

Hours Left

Dump’s bigotry has been on display for decades.

32. adam387

adam387

I am not obtuse, thank you.

The issue is, Bernie seems to think racism is something you turn on and off in different contexts, instead of a fundamental flaw in a person. That was evident by his quote yesterday, this further illustrates that. Literally, the ONE thing Trump has been is racist. This isn't a new thing he turned on for the campaign. It goes back to housing discrimination, the central park 5, etc.

But, if Bernie wants to try and talk about race, he needs someone to sit him down and educate him on how to do it. Because he's clueless.

Also, literally, we just had a midterm in which Trump's closing argument was "THE BROWN PEOPLE GONNA KILL YOU." The GOP begged him to stop, but he couldn't. He knows he and his base LOVE the racism. Why in the hell would anyone pretend to think Trump is just pretending to be racist. It's what he believes in!

And I won't even touch the sexism part, because that's probably Trump's second core belief.

33. Box of Kittens

Box of Kittens
    Resettlement Advisor Member

Thanks for the kind words. It's always nice to hear my work is appreciated.

For anyone who missed it and is interested (the thread was moving quite fast when I posted it), I did an analysis of the statewide/Congressional races here, including a regional breakdown of the governor's race.

34. Tamanon

Tamanon

Also it makes no sense, as Trump didn’t tack towards the center at all. Sure he likely doesn’t have true economic conservative beliefs but something like his racism and sexism aren’t a show.

35. nature boy

nature boy

He's been pretty consistent on his economic and military views for the last 30 years

36. lmcfigs

lmcfigs

Well I definitely apologize about that. Meant it for the guy tweeting, since I think he missed the point. Not like you specifically.

37. Y2Kev

Y2Kev

Nelson is toast. Sorry Marc!

38. BWoog

BWoog

Fucking Bernie.

At Trump's core, racism is one of the ONLY values he has (though misogyny and cruelty are also in there)

39. shadow_shogun

shadow_shogun

40. Raster

Raster

What is crazy is that there appear to be people who voted for Nelson but not for Gillum.

41. Psychoward

Psychoward

Not really. Gillum's black.

42. jiggle

jiggle

Yes
    Get that good subpoena
    Store bought is fine too

43. shadow_shogun

shadow_shogun

44. Vixdean

Vixdean

I think the next time Governor and Senator are up for reelection in Florida, Dems need to get two candidates who will essentially act as running mates. Maybe one who's got a stronger statewide message, and another who can shore up the latino community.

45. BWoog

BWoog

[​IMG]

46. Mac_Lane

Mac_Lane

How so ?

47. Wonderment

Wonderment

48. Kemal86

Kemal86

Do you have any insight into this? In a News-Gazette piece, Rodney Davis said IL-13 was "Drawn by Democrats in Springfield to elect a Democrat", and then gloated about winning it in every election since. Now, I take everything Rodney says with a block of salt so big that I hope he gets crushed under the weight of it. But is this true? Did Democrats really screw up drawing this district? I mean, it's clear to me that the lines of 13 are abysmal, but they also don't seem to favor Democrats in any way at all.

49. Nassudan

Nassudan

50. chadskin

chadskin

Whitaker gets Mariah'd