• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
DraQaX7WsAA3BGm.png

lol

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
What Nancy is saying sounds nice and would be appropriate in a saner time. But fuck, man. These aren't sane times. Don't want her and the Dems to be too nice and bend over backwards to appease.

Dude. There is plenty of time between now and 2020 to get into fight territory. I don't doubt that Pelosi has already a plan going on for a microsecond that will systematically obstruct and dismantle conservative agenda while advancing progressive causes. What she did while holding the minority is amazing.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if you vote Baker or Hogan? w/e

King? No.

Our anger at his stupid hypervolatile models in 2016 was not "just people being overconfident."
Not sure if I agree with this. If the only thing keeping their shittiness in check are the Dem controlled Legislature is that really something to be tolerated?

All of them are still part of a racist shit party

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously. His model mishap on live TV gave me a legit panic attack. For a few moments I thought I opened my eyes and it was still 2016.

NATE BRONZE
I'm quite a bit of a Nate hater, I specifically hate the way he does his odds and I keep telling people not to obsess over those numbers and that they don't mean what they think they mean.
But I can't lie, when I saw how that they went from 19 in 20 to under 50% in like 20 minutes, and when I saw in online reaction to that, I got 2016 flashbacks, down to that exact same sinking feeling in my stomach which I can still taste.
I did not enjoy that.
And I smoked for the first time in almost exactly 2 years.

But then Dino Rossi lost and I was thanks god for Dino Rossi and his collection of Ls, a rock of stability in this crazy times.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
So glad we finally got Walker.

And I hope Golden prevails in the instant runoff in ME-02 because neither looks like he'll get a clear majority first round.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

"I'm confident that this president who's had no oversight, only overlook, will feel that he's above the law on this also," Rep. Lloyd Doggett (D., Texas) said on a conference call with reporters. "While we may not get those returns immediately, we ought to. And we ought to be asking for them immediately, aware that the president will be resistant to oversight."
Under the tax law, the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee can request and review any taxpayer's returns. To resist, Mr. Trump would need Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to refuse the request. That standoff could end up in court.

Mr. Doggett, a senior member of the Ways and Means Committee, said the returns would help Democrats investigate Mr. Trump's conflicts of interest and business ties to foreign governments.
The fight is on.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a map of state legislature control? and an updated governor map (including seats that weren't up for election this year)?

edit: really, what I'm curious about is getting an idea of how many house seats dems will have oversight over redistricting.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how many house seats did we actually win? Seems like a lot in flux still at NYT. NBC was flashing 230 give or take.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Really CNN your gonna cut away? Wtf

We had to listen to a raving mad man and we can't listen to a woman in power. Uggg

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Hoyer running for House Majority Leader. (This is the "added" slot now that the top member is the Speaker and not the Leader). This leaves a big Dem House WHIP opening.

Idk anyone jazzed about Hoyer.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Manu Raju @mkraju

Pelosi reiterates her confidence she will become speaker and have the votes, while talking up her negotiating skills. And makes clear she doesn't want to answer any more questions about the topic

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I have zero issue with what Pelosi said.

The only way they get anything they want through the Senate is if they actually do work with republicans.

As for everyone chiming in with Beto for a spot on the ticket: You better be sure he can appeal to the voters of MI/WI/OH. I'm not necessarily sure he's a better choice there than Biden, who I feel would be a guaranteed win in those states.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Hoyer running for House Majority Leader. (This is the "added" slot now that the top member is the Speaker and not the Leader). This leaves a big Dem House WHIP opening.

Does this position even mean anything when it's the Speaker that's actually the leader of the party in the House?

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Of the 21 Representatives in New England (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut), only 1 is Republican and he may lose his election. It's being done on the "ranked choice" format which Maine put into law recently.

Of the 12 Senators in New England, only 1 is Republican.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The machine politics aspect of blue states makes me sympathetic to why you'd be ok with this. And well, also O'Malley being so useless for his time in the position.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, day one of the new congress, Pelosi should call Trump and say "If you were serious about fixing the broken infrastructure in this country, I can have a draft of a bill on your desk by the end of the month, and after you look it over, if you find it acceptable, it's up to you to convince the senate to pass it. You game?".

Then if that fails, start investigation city.

Yeah, I'd obviously take it if he wants to sign good bills to get wins. Whatever helps people. Send him that Sanders M4A bill or whatever.

We also have a Democratic House for the first time in 8 years. Where's the enthusiasm and excitement about that?

Yeah, I'm pumped. We have a federal leader who isn't an idiot! Who isn't racist, or sexist, etc...! It's been a long 2 years.

But for real, Fuck Nate Silver.

Honestly, I don't know how they didn't catch that with a simple test. Their forecast was set up to only count confirmed wins as they came out, which meant that when 8PM ET came around and people like Pelosi hadn't won their seats in CA yet, the model went berserk. Wouldn't be hard to test that honestly, notice it flipping out, and then fix it ahead of time.

I want to feel more excited but winning the House mostly means that we'll get actual oversight of the Trump admin and little else right now. The GOP never really had a legislative agenda to block and since they still hold the Senate our courts are going to be ruined for a generation. It was a victory last night for sure but I'm still not enthusiastic about the future. Hopefully that will come in 2020.

Get excited. The next 2 years are gonna be a roadmap for us. Pelosi isn't gonna just sit there and block GOP bills. She'll pass our bills (and get them blocked), and through that, we can see what we might get in 2021. All the GOP did under Obama was ACA-repeal junk. Pelosi will push for more than that since we actually have an agenda, as you noted.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think they could win in swing states? I'd be 100% down for this ticket, but I guess the senate results have me kinda rattled.
I think Beto's performance in Texas is an argument for him as the top of the ticket. He got Cruz to what, 3 points? That's insanely good in a state that's not really purple yet.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Same spot he had when Pelosi was Speaker last time, so no surprise there.

Really it's Crowley getting beat that opens up a spot in the Dem leadership more than anything. Clyburn might become Whip again but I believe Crowley was right after him in the hierarchy?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure Nelson is going to be behind even prior to the recount? NYT still had they race as a tossup with about 175,000 votes to be counted.

Status
Not open for further replies.