• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
When i was at the gym yesterday both Fox News and Fox Business were heavily implying that dems should replace Pelosi, which makes me believe that we should really really really keep pelosi and feel good about it.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Updating my post about the Senate in 2020: presuming Sinema wins, and Nelson loses Florida due to Repubshenanigans (and Hyde-Smith will win MS-special), that puts the Dem caucus at 47 and Republicans at 53.

In 2020, 34 Senate seats are up for the vote (which includes replacing the resigning Arizona Senator Jon Kyl, who himself had replaced McCain) -- i.e., 12 Democrats and 22 Republicans, bringing the preliminary total, as at November 3, 2020 (barring any resignations/indictments) to:

D - 35
R - 31

So Dems need to gain at least 15, e.g. holding all of their 12, plus flipping 3 of the 22 Republican seats. (They'd need 16 if Trump wins re-election.)

-------------------------------------------------------------
Safe Republican: -- AK (Sullivan), AR (Cotton), LA (Cassidy), OK (Inhofe), SD (Rounds), WV (Capito), WY (Enzi).

Probable R: -- NE (Sasse), ID (Risch), KY (Turtle), MT (Daines), SC (Graham), TN (Alexander), TX (Cornyn).

Competitive R: -- AZ (ret. Kyl), CO (Gardner), GA (Perdue), IA (Ernst), KS (Roberts), ME (Collins), NC (Tillis).

Competitive D: -- AL (Jones), MI (Peters), MN (Smith).

Probable D: -- NH (Jeanne Shaheen), VA (Warner).

Safe Democratic: -- DE (Coons), NJ (Booker), IL (Durbin), MA (Markey), NM (T. Udall), OR (Merkley), RI (Reed).
-------------------------------------------------------------

The THREE best chances would probably be Dems picking up:

1. NC (In 2014, Thom Tillis beat Kay Hagan 48.8% to 47.3%);
2. CO (In 2014, Cory Gardner beat Mark Udall 48.2% to 46.3%);
3. AZ (given the strong Democratic showing this year, that bodes well for John McCain's former 'maverick' seat flipping blue, too).

Now, they may need one or two buffer wins, if Doug Jones's unexpected tenure is cut short in Alabama (Jeff Sessions is probably going to run), and likewise if Pence retains veto power upon re-election (Jesus please save us). The best shots are:

4. IA (Joni Ernst beat Bruce Braley 52.1% to 43.8%; this was a Dem seat the preceding three decades!);
5. ME (Susan Collins controversially supported Kavanaugh, and may be primaried by Trump diehard Max Linn);
6. GA (David Perdue beat Michelle Nunn 52.9% to 45.2%);
7. KS (Pat Roberts, who'll be 84 if he runs, beat Independent Greg Orman 53.1% to 42.5% -- with an inspiring candidate this could be doable);
8. TX (I'm tossing Texas in here just in case O'Rourke decides to run again, especially given the impressive legwork from this year).

These 12 Dems and candidates for these 8 states need to get cracking.
Nice breakdown. Alabama is goner than gone, though.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
If people need to learn one thing from Beto is the visit to all counties in the state, visit to places that are not Dem friendly (Obama did that too). That is one very good way to compete in red/purple states.

And so, announce 2020 early and visit every county in PA/WI/MI
The lesson is not to be a lazy old person. You need to have the fervor and the vigor and, yes, the STAMINA! to trek all across this shitty country and meet every last bumblefuck denizen. You can't take August off to fundraise in Martha's Vineyard.

So I am on the Beto train. I flip trains a lot but I'm beginning to think the only real way to beat Trump is just to dominate the media. And Beto can do that so well.

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Tina Smith in a competitive race in 2020? MN Republicans have no bench. They don't even have starters. They're not even in the game.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Beto can definitely drown out Trump and FOX's megaphone - as much as Trump is good at messaging, literally every single trivial thing Beto did in this cycle got coverage and became national headlines and he's not playing by the old school book of politics.

I actually think he's the solution to the Dems' every potential problem for 2020 - he can unite the party, catering to both progressives and "centrist" Democrats, hold rallies in packed stadiums all around the country, go on a road trip all over the swing states and make Trump look like the gross, obese, low energy clown he actually is on a debate stage.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. It's what I've been expecting. That said, it really depends on if he wants to still be in the supreme court in his early to mid 80s.
Im sure he's being offered millions to take a "job" at a conservative think tank already. I doubt he even gets to '20. They're not going to let it turn into an RBG type situation.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Beto can definitely drown out Trump and FOX's megaphone - as much as Trump is good at messaging, literally every single trivial thing Beto did in this cycle got coverage and became national headlines and he's not playing by the old school book of politics.

I actually think he's the solution to the Dems' every potential problem for 2020 - he can unite the party, catering to both progressives and "centrist" Democrats, hold rallies in packed stadiums all around the country, go on a road trip all over the swing states and make Trump look like the gross, obese, low energy clown he actually is on a debate stage.
I don't know if I want to vote for Beto over Kamala :(

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Mr. Kellyanne Conway is in honey badger mode. No fucks given

All the talk about what their home life is like, I can't help but wonder what *Trump* thinks about Kellyanne's husband, particularly when he pops up with op-eds like this - and what Trump says about it to Kellyanne herself (because, let's be honest, he wouldn't be able to just ignore it!). Does he joke about it? Silently rage? Snap at her more after George has been particularly outspoken?

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I want to vote for Beto over Kamala :(
Here is my thinking. I personally lean Kamala over Beto.

BUUUUUUUUUUUT.....if he can transition his it factor. his rockstar persona nationally? Fill stadiums of adoring fans ala Obama (and yes, Trump?) then he gets my vote over Kamala even though I may personally like Kamala a bit more. Because that is how you beat Trump. Movements are what brings out the unreliable votes. It is what gets people excited.

Having a candidate who can draw more media attention than Trump? How can I say no to that?

It's okay to like Kamala more but vote Beto because you think his rockstar persona and movement is a better way to beat Trump. We are voting on who we think can beat Trump after all.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
When i was at the gym yesterday both Fox News and Fox Business were heavily implying that dems should replace Pelosi, which makes me believe that we should really really really keep pelosi and feel good about it.

We should she has experience, smarts, and is tough. Putting a newbie in her role now when everything is starting to change would at least hurt the momentum and could actually lead to Dems being in disarray.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
It's kind of amazing how well of a job Beto actually did. I recall even here in era and poliera, a few months back, people floated the idea of Beto running and the OT was basically not having it and in here people were pretty dismissive of the idea as well, but now, looks like him taking a VP position at the very least is basically unanimous. I really hope he changes his mind when he said he's not running.

And to be clear, I'd much prefer a person of color or a woman. But, there's something very Obama like with Beto if you watch his speeches and I also think he passes the "have a beer with" test that will reach a lot of moderates and indifferent voters.

Last edited:

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Is it wrong that I feel a lot of the Beto for president supporters don't see the familiar "fail upwards" trajectory of expecting him to not only get the nomination but win the election....

Beto would be a prime Vice President candidate but I just don't see how he gets the nomination without having Texas in his back pocket.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Is it wrong that I feel a lot of the Beto for president supporters don't see the familiar "fail upwards" trajectory of expecting him to not only get the nomination but win the election....

Beto would be a prime Vice President candidate but I just don't see how he gets the nomination without having Texas in his back pocket.
Well I think he'd have to run for president, and then finish second in the primary to somebody like Harris, and I think that would be enough to justify the nomination.

But considering what he did in Texas with his gotv and the insane money he brought in, never mind how close he brought the race in Texas, there is a good argument to be made just on that info alone that he'd make a good VP.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Beto was a three term congressman he isn't a fail upwards guy. He did better in Texas than any Democrat other than him could ever do. I do not think any in the party sees him as a loser. Especially how his race helped sooooooooooo many local Democrats in Texas win who couldn't win without him.

Well I think he'd have to run for president, and then finish second in the primary to somebody like Harris, and I think that would be enough to justify the nomination.

But considering what he did in Texas with his gotv and the insane money he brought in, never mind how close he brought the race in Texas, there is a good argument to be made just on that info alone that he'd make a good VP.
And the things about movements are...they aren't logical.

In 2006 before primaries almost no one thought Obama could beat Hillary. Coming out of 2014 election no one thought Trump could beat Jeb, Walker, or Marco.

Movements happen organically and often defy logic and how things are "supposed" to happen.

If Beto transitions his it factor and rockstar persona nationally and starts drawing gigantic stadium level crowds wherever he goes does anyone really think the people looking up to him with hope and inspiration like they did Obama in 2007 will stop and try to think logically about his previous election?

Not a chance. Movements like that are about emotion.

In essence if Beto transitions his rockstar like persona nationally then looking at things logically will go out the window. Like with Obama and Trump. It is hard to fight emotional investment and movements with logic.

Oct 26, 2017

All of this is true, but I think Beto is still a little too green to govern effectively. I'd like to see Beto make a go for it in 2024 - 2028, after he hopefully won the Senate seat in Texas or got some experience and developed relationships. I believe Obama's relative inexperience hurt him the first couple of years because he took too many Republicans at their word instead of exercising more leverage behind the scenes.

Now I could see Beto possibly being a VP pick to balance out a ticket. The standard for picking a VP is pretty loose and he could follow the George W. Bush path. But then again, George W. Bush was a one term President...

Right now Trump has every plan to run for reelection. But let's see how things look a year from now or in early 2020 after the Mueller report, Don Jr. trial, emoluments case, and various Trump Org corruption investigations / cases on deck, Trump may decide he's getting too much heat / exposure and he needs to cash in his chips before the illusion of his empire is destroyed. Trump will never get impeached and convicted in the Senate but I could see him possibly resigning if his wealth is threatened and too much sunlight is getting on his shady deals and business practices.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again the biggest mistake here is people are trying to look at Beto through the lense of logic, experience, etc. These questions mirror almost exactly what was said of Obama in late 2006. Or trump in late 2014.

That is irrelevant. If he wins it would because he follows the Trump and Obama method of becoming a rockstar who gets a movement around him with massive rallies.

Betos chances have absolutely nothing to do with experience or election history. It comes down to one question:

Can he transition his "it" factor nationally?

I think he runs because the governor and other senator are both much more popular than Cruz and movements are fleeting. There is no way to be sure he will still have the it factor in 4-8 years if he goes back to El Paso for years.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Another thing about Beto is that he criticized Ted for running for President over serving out his term. If he himself runs for President it will look really craven, and I know Beto actually has a conscience as opposed to his soulless ghoul of an opponent, so I don't think he'll be up for it. He should definitely go for the VP spot though.

Ty4on

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Another thing about Beto is that he criticized Ted for running for President over serving out his term. If he himself runs for President it will look really craven, and I know Beto actually has a conscience as opposed to his soulless ghoul of an opponent, so I don't think he'll be up for it. He should definitely go for the VP spot though.
Why would that matter? Beto isn't a senator

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would it look craven? It would be craven if he was actual senator. There is no state wide race in texas in the next 6 years that looks even remotely possible for Beto to win.

I mean look at that Politico piece early this week. Local party people in NH and Iowa are already asking him to come to their states. The party wants him to run.

He could easily say he feels it's his duty to take the movement he created in Texas nationally to try and take down Trump.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Beto is out of a job currently. If he runs in 2020, it wouldn't be comparable to the Ted Cruz situation at all.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here is the thing I come back to.

Trumps best asset is the media. Media shows his rallies. Hangs on his every word.

Beto has that factor. Media LOVES him. Like they did Obama. They will show his gigantic rallies. Fawn over his movement.

And it would drive Trump fucking insane to see someone draw much bigger rallies than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.