• The site will be down for scheduled maintenance this Friday the 24th at 2AM PST / 5AM EST / 9AM UTC while we perform a software update. We expect this process to take up to 5 hours. Thank you for your understanding and patience. New features will be included.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

US PoliEra |OT12| The Moscow Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2017
It sounds like he’s saying the guy will do or say whatever he thinks will benefit him because he has no values rather than what that tweet is implying. I don’t really fuck with Bernie, but this one is a reach.
Literally, the one policy position Trump has is he's racist. It's literally ALL he has. Bernie is implying here that he's not really racist, he just plays one on TV. Again, it's not a reach, it's another example of how anytime race comes into the mix, Bernie shoves his foot not so much in his mouth but down his own throat.

Racism is literally the ONE thing Trump is consistent on.

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Bernie Sanders believes Trump could be a Civil Rights champion and that he's just pretending to be racist. Get him out of the paint, this article is even worse than the last one. There's no room in the Democratic nomination process for this rhetoric on racism.

Bernie's quote:
So Trump has just been acting for the last 50 years then?

Someone come get your man!

Fork

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Bernie Sanders believes Trump could be a Civil Rights champion and that he's just pretending to be racist. Get him out of the paint, this article is even worse than the last one. There's no room in the Democratic nomination process for this rhetoric on racism.

Bernie's quote:

Oct 25, 2017

Bernie's quote:
I get what he’s say but oof that’s is the worst anecdote he could go with. He still fumbles with race issues after so many missteps it’s hard to keep calling them accidents

Oct 25, 2017
Except, Trump has repeatedly shown his values over the decades.

How quickly we forget stuff like the "Central Park 5"
Who gives a shit? It’s got nothing to do with the point he’s making. I’m no Bernie Stan by any means, but there’s nothing to get angry about when you read what he’s saying. I’ve read it twice now and don’t see the problem. He’s basically calling the guy a snake.

Oct 27, 2017
When someone shows you who they are, over many decades and countless occasions, believe them. This shit goes back to the 1970s and housing discrimination against African-Americans with Trump all the way up through yesterday. Sorry Bernie, I think this is a "core value" of his. And yes, I get the point Bernie is trying to make - it is just not a particularly good one.

plagiarize

Untethered
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Well I think he'd have to run for president, and then finish second in the primary to somebody like Harris, and I think that would be enough to justify the nomination.

But considering what he did in Texas with his gotv and the insane money he brought in, never mind how close he brought the race in Texas, there is a good argument to be made just on that info alone that he'd make a good VP.
If he comes second, sure... VP if he wants it. But him failing to win the primary would be disqualifying for top of the ticket. Whoever wins the primaries should be top of the ticket.

You would be crippling the democrat ticket to screw over the person who wins the primaries, and you'd risk disenfranchising huge numbers of their supporters. Look at how many Bernie supporters were disenfranchised because they *think* he was robbed. Imagine if someone actually *was* robbed?

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The real take is that racism is Trump's sole ideological consistency over the years.

I'm sure Bernie knows better. I think Bernie himself is a rather cynical politician. He knows white voters hate being labeled racist, so rather than call out Trump for racism he is calling him out for his lack of values, which turns off white voters way more than racism accusations.

These comments make sense because his 2020 primary strategy will be to consolidate white support and hope minorities split amongst everyone else with no Obama or Clinton in the picture. This is part of the reason I want Biden to run, because it would ruin this strategy.

Nov 7, 2017
The funny thing is, Trump has shown he has no issue changing stances to be more liked. But Bernie decided to use racism as his example and that's Trump's strongest constant....

Oct 25, 2017
Literally, the one policy position Trump has is he's racist. It's literally ALL he has. Bernie is implying here that he's not really racist, he just plays one on TV. Again, it's not a reach, it's another example of how anytime race comes into the mix, Bernie shoves his foot not so much in his mouth but down his own throat.

Racism is literally the ONE thing Trump is consistent on.
I’m sure he’s racist and I’m sure that if it came down to it, he’d pretend to be another way if needed. The ending point of that quote is where he reiterates that dems should continue to placing trump and the gop on the defensive by making them vote against good legislation. It’s not an in-depth probe on trump’s mental state state or personal beliefs other than loosely implying that he’s got no real moral compass.

lmcfigs

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Bernie's quote:
He’s saying Trump is an opportunist. You’d have to be pretty obtuse to miss the point.

Oct 25, 2017
He’s saying Trump is an opportunist. You’d have to be pretty obtuse to miss the point.
Yes, on every issue but racism and his ego.
This is just more in a long pattern of Bernie wanting to appeal to white racists at the expense of everyone else.

Oct 27, 2017
Sanders is wrong, though - taking a civil rights championship position would have netted him more votes and a larger inauguration crowd size. As president he is constantly shown how his numbers could be the largest, but he clings to his "beliefs" and then lies/fudges the numbers to compensate and puff himself up.

Nov 27, 2017
I am not obtuse, thank you.

The issue is, Bernie seems to think racism is something you turn on and off in different contexts, instead of a fundamental flaw in a person. That was evident by his quote yesterday, this further illustrates that. Literally, the ONE thing Trump has been is racist. This isn't a new thing he turned on for the campaign. It goes back to housing discrimination, the central park 5, etc.

But, if Bernie wants to try and talk about race, he needs someone to sit him down and educate him on how to do it. Because he's clueless.

Also, literally, we just had a midterm in which Trump's closing argument was "THE BROWN PEOPLE GONNA KILL YOU." The GOP begged him to stop, but he couldn't. He knows he and his base LOVE the racism. Why in the hell would anyone pretend to think Trump is just pretending to be racist. It's what he believes in!

And I won't even touch the sexism part, because that's probably Trump's second core belief.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If the GOP wants to win in Illinois at either the state level, or in the Chicagoland area, they gotta at least be progressive on social issues. Without that I don't see how you are going to win based on current trends.

Thanks for posting these analyses by the way Box of Kittens. I always enjoy reading your posts about local politics here.
As an IL resident, Thanks for these analysis posts.
Thanks for the kind words. It's always nice to hear my work is appreciated.

For anyone who missed it and is interested (the thread was moving quite fast when I posted it), I did an analysis of the statewide/Congressional races here, including a regional breakdown of the governor's race.

Oct 25, 2017
Also it makes no sense, as Trump didn’t tack towards the center at all. Sure he likely doesn’t have true economic conservative beliefs but something like his racism and sexism aren’t a show.

lmcfigs

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am not obtuse, thank you.

The issue is, Bernie seems to think racism is something you turn on and off in different contexts, instead of a fundamental flaw in a person. That was evident by his quote yesterday, this further illustrates that. Literally, the ONE thing Trump has been is racist. This isn't a new thing he turned on for the campaign. It goes back to housing discrimination, the central park 5, etc.

But, if Bernie wants to try and talk about race, he needs someone to sit him down and educate him on how to do it. Because he's clueless.
Well I definitely apologize about that. Meant it for the guy tweeting, since I think he missed the point. Not like you specifically.

Oct 25, 2017
Daniel Stiepleman, her nephew and the scriptwriter for On the Basis of Sex – a new film about the early years of Ginsburg’s career as a lawyer – told Reuters she was “doing great” and had been making jokes.

“The last I heard she was up and working, of course, because what else would she be doing, and cracking jokes,” he said. “I can’t promise they were good jokes but they were jokes.”

Oct 27, 2017
I think the next time Governor and Senator are up for reelection in Florida, Dems need to get two candidates who will essentially act as running mates. Maybe one who's got a stronger statewide message, and another who can shore up the latino community.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the kind words. It's always nice to hear my work is appreciated.

For anyone who missed it and is interested (the thread was moving quite fast when I posted it), I did an analysis of the statewide/Congressional races here, including a regional breakdown of the governor's race.
Do you have any insight into this? In a News-Gazette piece, Rodney Davis said IL-13 was "Drawn by Democrats in Springfield to elect a Democrat", and then gloated about winning it in every election since. Now, I take everything Rodney says with a block of salt so big that I hope he gets crushed under the weight of it. But is this true? Did Democrats really screw up drawing this district? I mean, it's clear to me that the lines of 13 are abysmal, but they also don't seem to favor Democrats in any way at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.