• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The real take is that racism is Trump's sole ideological consistency over the years.

I'm sure Bernie knows better. I think Bernie himself is a rather cynical politician. He knows white voters hate being labeled racist, so rather than call out Trump for racism he is calling him out for his lack of values, which turns off white voters way more than racism accusations.

These comments make sense because his 2020 primary strategy will be to consolidate white support and hope minorities split amongst everyone else with no Obama or Clinton in the picture. This is part of the reason I want Biden to run, because it would ruin this strategy.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The funny thing is, Trump has shown he has no issue changing stances to be more liked. But Bernie decided to use racism as his example and that's Trump's strongest constant....

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Literally, the one policy position Trump has is he's racist. It's literally ALL he has. Bernie is implying here that he's not really racist, he just plays one on TV. Again, it's not a reach, it's another example of how anytime race comes into the mix, Bernie shoves his foot not so much in his mouth but down his own throat.

Racism is literally the ONE thing Trump is consistent on.

I'm sure he's racist and I'm sure that if it came down to it, he'd pretend to be another way if needed. The ending point of that quote is where he reiterates that dems should continue to placing trump and the gop on the defensive by making them vote against good legislation. It's not an in-depth probe on trump's mental state state or personal beliefs other than loosely implying that he's got no real moral compass.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bernie Sanders believes Trump could be a Civil Rights champion and that he's just pretending to be racist. Get him out of the paint, this article is even worse than the last one. There's no room in the Democratic nomination process for this rhetoric on racism.

Bernie's quote:

He's saying Trump is an opportunist. You'd have to be pretty obtuse to miss the point.

Oct 27, 2017
Sanders is wrong, though - taking a civil rights championship position would have netted him more votes and a larger inauguration crowd size. As president he is constantly shown how his numbers could be the largest, but he clings to his "beliefs" and then lies/fudges the numbers to compensate and puff himself up.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I am not obtuse, thank you.

The issue is, Bernie seems to think racism is something you turn on and off in different contexts, instead of a fundamental flaw in a person. That was evident by his quote yesterday, this further illustrates that. Literally, the ONE thing Trump has been is racist. This isn't a new thing he turned on for the campaign. It goes back to housing discrimination, the central park 5, etc.

But, if Bernie wants to try and talk about race, he needs someone to sit him down and educate him on how to do it. Because he's clueless.

Also, literally, we just had a midterm in which Trump's closing argument was "THE BROWN PEOPLE GONNA KILL YOU." The GOP begged him to stop, but he couldn't. He knows he and his base LOVE the racism. Why in the hell would anyone pretend to think Trump is just pretending to be racist. It's what he believes in!

And I won't even touch the sexism part, because that's probably Trump's second core belief.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If the GOP wants to win in Illinois at either the state level, or in the Chicagoland area, they gotta at least be progressive on social issues. Without that I don't see how you are going to win based on current trends.

Thanks for posting these analyses by the way Box of Kittens. I always enjoy reading your posts about local politics here.

As an IL resident, Thanks for these analysis posts.

Thanks for the kind words. It's always nice to hear my work is appreciated.

For anyone who missed it and is interested (the thread was moving quite fast when I posted it), I did an analysis of the statewide/Congressional races here, including a regional breakdown of the governor's race.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Also it makes no sense, as Trump didn't tack towards the center at all. Sure he likely doesn't have true economic conservative beliefs but something like his racism and sexism aren't a show.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not obtuse, thank you.

The issue is, Bernie seems to think racism is something you turn on and off in different contexts, instead of a fundamental flaw in a person. That was evident by his quote yesterday, this further illustrates that. Literally, the ONE thing Trump has been is racist. This isn't a new thing he turned on for the campaign. It goes back to housing discrimination, the central park 5, etc.

But, if Bernie wants to try and talk about race, he needs someone to sit him down and educate him on how to do it. Because he's clueless.
Well I definitely apologize about that. Meant it for the guy tweeting, since I think he missed the point. Not like you specifically.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking Bernie.

At Trump's core, racism is one of the ONLY values he has (though misogyny and cruelty are also in there)

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
What is crazy is that there appear to be people who voted for Nelson but not for Gillum.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

Daniel Stiepleman, her nephew and the scriptwriter for On the Basis of Sex – a new film about the early years of Ginsburg's career as a lawyer – told Reuters she was "doing great" and had been making jokes.

"The last I heard she was up and working, of course, because what else would she be doing, and cracking jokes," he said. "I can't promise they were good jokes but they were jokes."

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the next time Governor and Senator are up for reelection in Florida, Dems need to get two candidates who will essentially act as running mates. Maybe one who's got a stronger statewide message, and another who can shore up the latino community.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

unMkNgD.gif

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the kind words. It's always nice to hear my work is appreciated.

For anyone who missed it and is interested (the thread was moving quite fast when I posted it), I did an analysis of the statewide/Congressional races here, including a regional breakdown of the governor's race.

Do you have any insight into this? In a News-Gazette piece, Rodney Davis said IL-13 was "Drawn by Democrats in Springfield to elect a Democrat", and then gloated about winning it in every election since. Now, I take everything Rodney says with a block of salt so big that I hope he gets crushed under the weight of it. But is this true? Did Democrats really screw up drawing this district? I mean, it's clear to me that the lines of 13 are abysmal, but they also don't seem to favor Democrats in any way at all.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
There is a 0% chance Trump will turn into a civil rights supporter, to say nothing of a "champion." One of the few constants of his entire life is racism. Moreover, none of his opportunistic policy bendings have been toward the left. It's always farther right.

This is not Bitch Eating Crackers. It's senility.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bernie Sanders believes Trump could be a Civil Rights champion and that he's just pretending to be racist. Get him out of the paint, this article is even worse than the last one. There's no room in the Democratic nomination process for this rhetoric on racism.

Bernie's quote:

This is a complete misinterpretation of what Bernie said. He's just saying "Trump has no core values and will do whatever he thinks gets him support." I don't think that's true - his core values are being rich and racist - but it's a very commonly held view. It was especially common during the primaries, though I think his 2 year tenure thus far has shown his true orientation.

The thing he said the other day was dumbfounding but this is a big nothingburger and in no way is Bernie saying that Trump is a secret civil rights champion.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone really believe this meathead will survive the pressure cooker he just walked into? The last guy Trump tried to elevate to a position totally out of his league was that White House doctor, and he crashed and burned so hard no one even remembers his name.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This is a complete misinterpretation of what Bernie said. He's just saying "Trump has no core values and will do whatever he thinks gets him support." I don't think that's true - his core values are being rich and racist - but it's a very commonly held view.

The thing he said the other day was dumbfoundjjg but this is a big nothingburger and in no way is Bernie saying that Trump is a secret civil rights champion.
This is dumbfounding too though. Trump has always been racist. He's flipped on lots of other things, but never that. Never.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
What is it about Reddit city subreddits that makes them so much more conservative than the actual cities?

I saw on the DC subreddit a topic about the protestors at Tucker Carlson's house, and one highly upvoted commentator said something about how bad this makes "us" look to Republicans, and how stupid "we" look for acting like words can cause violence and being dramatic. I replied saying it's pretty stunning if you don't think words can incite violence considering what happened the past couple weeks between the mail bombs and the massacre at a synagogue. Lots of downvotes. Then he replied with some insane rant about how only those who commit the actions are responsible and if we blame Tucker than we need to also blame Bernie and Colin Kaepernick (seriously). Again highly upvoted and someone even replied saying "thank you for all your replies, this needs to be said".

Not that I care about fake internet arguments, but it's a little surprising to me to see exchanges like this when DC is the most liberal city in the country, and nothing I said would be remotely controversial to anyone I've ever met who lives here. Even the few Republicans. What's going on here? Regular people don't use Reddit? Kids from the surrounding area in VA/MD who follow the sub bc DC is the closest city? I've heard other cities have this problem too. It makes me paranoid that a ton more people than I would think secretly hold awful beliefs like this, even in the most liberal city in America.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Because people think Bernie did some irreparable damage to Hillary in 2016 instead of admitting she was flawed and bad from the start.

You may view race issues as secondary to economic, but not everybody agrees with you.
I can't see any other reason why you would bring up 2016 now other than as a deflection.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
"What he did to the United States military?" And what was that, exactly? Oh yeah, this idiot thinks Obama left the largest, most advanced military on the planet in a state of dilapidation. Only for Trump to come in and "fix" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.