chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Sen. Ed Markey (D-MA) and 32 other Democrats have submitted a new discharge petition under the Congressional Review Act, setting the stage for a full congressional vote to restore net neutrality. Because of the unique CRA process, the petition has the power to force a Senate vote on the resolution, which leaders say is expected next week.

The Congressional Review Act allows Congress to roll back regulations within 60 legislative days of introduction, a process that today's resolution would apply to the internet rules introduced by FCC chairman Ajit Pai in December. Pai's rules reversed the 2015 Open Internet Order, which had explicitly banned blocking, throttling, and paid prioritization by internet providers. To successfully undo the Pai order and restore the 2015 rules, today's resolution would need a bare majority in both the Senate and the House, as well as the president's signature.
So far, 50 senators have come out in support of the bill: 48 Democrats together with Sen. Angus King (I-ME) and Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME). Activists have targeted moderate Republicans like Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA), and Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) as a possible 51st vote. The 2015 net neutrality rules are still broadly popular, which activists hope will make members of Congress wary of voting against them.

Sen. Brian Schatz (D-HI) told The Verge he's "hopeful" that the resolution will find a 51st vote in the Senate and proceed through the House. "We don't know how this is going to end, but this is part of an effort to get every member of Congress on the record either supporting or opposing Net Neutrality," Schatz said. "With this piece of legislation there is nowhere to hide and there are no excuses."
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/9/1...ssional-review-act-cra-resolution-vote-senate

Call your Senator.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they have 50? Then they already have the votes in the Senate- McCain will be an abstention because of his illness.

It's not getting past the House or Trump but at least it's a good symbolic effort prior to midterms.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Freaking awesome. We need to push back against Pai as much as we possibly can.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they have 50? Then they already have the votes in the Senate- McCain will be an abstention because of his illness.

It's not getting past the House or Trump but at least it's a good symbolic effort prior to midterms.
Trump doesn't have the spine not to sign. It gets out of Congress then it passes.

Oct 25, 2017
This is good news. I doubt it can pass the House as well, but at least getting this passed through the Senate shows that there's still significant pressure on the issue and keeps it in the discussion for post-midterms.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to hear. Even if it doesn't get enough votes to pass, this'll make it clear which senators, mostly republicans, will be against Net Neutrality and the interests of their own constituents. Should make it a bit easier to vote them out later this year.

Bob_Coffee

Oct 25, 2017
get there asses on the record. will fail in senate, but cali and other big states net neutrality state laws should force the other states to adopt similar net neutrality stances! the battle isn't over yet.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
While passing the Senate is feasible, passing the House is decidedly less so. Wouldn't get your hopes too high for this. Call your congresspeople, though!

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is good. Anyone voting against an open internet will be on the record doing so. I guarantee this will be discussed in November 2018 and 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
Glad this is happening, contact your representatives folks. One of the ways i've started using is Resistbot, it's a facebook messenger bot that will contact your senators for you, all you have to do is type a quick message of what you want

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
It won't pass but that's not the point, the point is to get all of those Republican congressmen on the record as voting against it. So it's still worthwhile.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty toothless until Dems take the House, but good optics at least. Puts people on the record if nothing else.

I'm not expecting a real change in this area until after mid-terms.