• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
Ex-Republican
Dear Democrats:
We've been together for a while now. It's platonic, and probably always will be, as we share a home together as friends ever since I left the Republicans. But I appreciate our new relationship, and that's why I'm comfortable telling you here that I'm worried about you.

Are you trying to lose the election?
When we watched CNN's LGBTQ town hall for the Democratic candidates Thursday, we had very different reactions. This is the event, you remember, where former Rep. Beto O'Rourke of Texas said he'dpunish religious institutions for refusing gay marriage, and where Sen. Kamala Harris of California started by informing us of her pronouns, and then host Chris Cuomo, after a mild and dopey joke, had to go on Twitter the next day and apologize for making light of it. This is where Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts fielded a question about traditional marriage with a sneering, smug insinuation that the only people who would ask her about that are men who can't find a woman.
I'm not asking you to betray your principles. But I'm going to be honest: When it comes to the election of 2020, I don't care about LGBTQ issues. And neither should you — not because these issues are not important, but because there isn't a single Democratic candidate who is against you on any of this, and not one of them will be worse than Trump.

Don't hand issues to culture warriors
You're scaring me, however, when you tell me that you think you have to hammer on these hot-button issues in the places you need to win back electoral votes — in order to motivate your base to come out and vote.
Do you realize what you're saying? If you need an evening-long town hall on LGBTQ issues to "motivate" yourselves, then you're already doomed.
Take it from a former member of the GOP tribe, they're waiting for you. They are praying, you should pardon the expression, that you will do something stupid and pointless so that they can take the spotlight off of Trump. They will do anything to change the subject, so that you cannot run on the simple platform that Trump is an emotionally unstable ignoramus who is endangering our national security and trampling on the Constitution. Why help them?

OP:I couldn't disagree more. Democrats are defending fundamental rights against a "culture warrior" minority. Not for a second should they stop protecting the rights and safety of lgbt people. This idea that there a "silent majority " who support homophobia, transphobia.

Link: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...rats-forgot-at-lgbtq-forum-column/3947332002/

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How privileged must you be in order to say "I don't care about LGBTQ issues, change your priorities" -- oh, former Republican, gotcha.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure I believe showing support for a broad range of issues that affect many people necessarily diminishes campaigning to rid the US of Trump.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm not clicking the link to find out whether the author is a well-known or lesser-known idiot.

That shit should be in the OP

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
"I still want to be a bigot, just not as much of an obvious bigot as the current guy. Hows about it?"

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Maybe put "Ex-Republican" in the title like the article itself does.

Pretty easily to tell exactly where this trash comes from and how much garbage it is.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Meaningless. Gay marriage debate is over, and anyone still salty about it is a Trumper already.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
This person should just say what they want to say instead of making up a fantasy "You" to talk at in a confusing way.

wxMak

Oct 27, 2017
Article is written by an ex-GOP Never Trumper so his opinion should mean nothing.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
People who talk like this were never going to vote Democrat. They're just looking for any excuse they can to vote Republican and feel like they made the morally correct choice, because they know voting Republican is never the morally correct choice. But they reeeaaallly hate brown people

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
"I don't care about LGBTQ issues"

Yes I know that theres more to that statement. But its fucking stupid and I'm not willing to listen to anyone throwing queer folx under the bus for the sake of better optics with bigots.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This dude is an Ex-Gop that only left because of trump. His reaction to the forum is understandable and shouldn't even be considered

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
1534804471.1027-smiley.gif

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This is the exact wrong way to beat Trump. Ironic that this is trying to start the kind of infighting they are claiming...giving voice to LGBTQ+ issues does, somehow.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Warren is an ex-GOP person so I'm not sure why that's an issue.

Having a really dumb argument is, though.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we are beating Trump and all he stands for. If you can't get on board with "all he stands for," fuck off.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the big deal. These people are voters and would like to know their concerns are addressed, just like everyone else. Politics aside, this is just a poor and selfish opinion.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
"God, are you TRYING to lose the election? Talking about those fucking gays or whatever? I mean come on. Like we get it gays exist. Good for them. I don't have a problem with that. But stop talking about them. Voters don't care! You'll lose the election with this gay shit! But not that I have a problem with them. People just don't want to hear about their issues. There's like 10 gay people in America anyway!"

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bad take. Just because there are so many different fronts that Republicans are in the wrong on doesn't mean that they aren't all important. We are literally in a crisis of crises in that we have to fight for the future of this country and planet on fifteen different issues and we really have to put our best foot forward on each.

There is no problem trying to get things right at this point so our future candidate can run on a more supportive and inclusive platform.

May 26, 2018
It's really funny he's saying that Republicans are waiting for the Democrats to make a mistake. Dude, they don't need the Democrats to make a mistake. Fox News generated its own news cycle based on someone using mustard.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Is the author LGBTQ? Otherwise it seems tone deaf to say we shouldn't care about LGBTQ issues and just take for granted that Democrats are better than Republicans on the issue. Actually, it seems tone deaf even if they are.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
Oh, it's Tom Nichols. Another Nevertrumper telling Democrats who have been trying to warn everybody that Skidmark is a danger how they should run their own party from the sidelines, ready to jump back into rightism feet-first the moment that Skidmark is gone.

He can go fuck a cactus. Burn the fucking lifeboats so that when Schmuck a L'Orange is gone, the right can't retreat into "well, that's over, Trump who, let's cut everything but the military".

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
"God, are you TRYING to lose the election? Talking about those fucking gays or whatever? I mean come on. Like we get it gays exist. Good for them. I don't have a problem with that. But stop talking about them. Voters don't care! You'll lose the election with this gay shit! But not that I have a problem with them. People just don't want to hear about their issues. There's like 10 gay people in America anyway!"

You forgot to add the obligatory, "I have friends who are gay, so I'm not homophobic."

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
"You should only be talking about issues that affect me. How am I supposed to relate?"

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Warren is an ex-GOP person so I'm not sure why that's an issue.

Having a really dumb argument is, though.

Because someone who left the party 40 years ago versus someone who left the party in 2016 after their line of hate filled rhetoric was unabashedly changed to direct language.

Is this seriously a thing? Warren, the ex republican? It doesn't show anywhere on her platform and yet people are aching to scream it out like it defines her.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The comments on that article are embarrassing. You would think it being tied to your Facebook account and real name would give people a sense of shame. Guess not.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
The other candidate made fun of special needs people, bragged about shooting people and said sexist shit.

Fuck you homophobe columnist.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I'm hearing is apologize or compromise and it aint happening. We need real change and we need it yesterday.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Yes Warren will lose the election for being a bit cheeky. Trump would never insult a broad swath of people like that, and certainly not in ways which are far more horrifying than they are smug.

Concern trolling asshole.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
When it comes to the election of 2020, I don't care about LGBTQ issues.

tenor.gif

What a coincidence; when it comes to the election of 2020, I don't care about the opinions of pasty old Federalist contributors who only just now realized that the Republican party is full of fucking Republicans!

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Garbage article. You know who's responsible for Trump getting elected? Republicans. You know who's not responsible for Trump getting elected? The gays. Taking an evening to talk about LGBT issues on stage is only unpalatable to bigots. This guy can take his concerns and go waste his vote on a third party candidate like good little enlightened centrist.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about LGBTQ issues.

I guess we're even, article writer, because I don't care about your "opinion."

That goes for every motherfucker who thinks that LGBT rights need to be debated. I will never listen to anyone who would argue that some people are less entitled to the respect and rights we all deserve. Including the subtle ones on this forum. Eat shit.