• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Who is showing resentment towards women? Name names.
You don't get why people wait for details before drawing conclusions? For many of us, it's a general rule and it's one that makes sense. Innocent people are accused all the time, and condemning them immediately could have grave consequences for them, waiting for evidence doesn't really hurt anyone, even the guilty.

It's not about having resentment towards women, which I don't think anyone here has shown? It's more about resenting how people are so quick to persecute someone in this day and age. That trend is what people seem to resent, and rightfully so.

There is a Tweet linked earlier in the thread that covers this. I wasn't necessarily calling anyone out on ERA, just following up on what that Tweet said. I am for waiting for evidence, but on Twitter and other areas of the net where this story is breaking. It's literally all just, "you see! Women can be shitty abusive assholes too," which is news to no one living in reality.

Also I am guilty of shitting on Depp, but to be fair, I don't recall anyone else saying to wait for evidence at the time.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
There is a Tweet linked earlier in the thread that covers this. I wasn't necessarily calling anyone out on ERA, just following up on what that Tweet said. I am for waiting for evidence, but on Twitter and other areas of the net where this story is breaking. It's literally all just, "you see! Women can be shitty abusive assholes too," which is news to no one living in reality.
Oh ok. Yeah those people definitely exist on Twitter. Hell, some people on Twitter would probably side with the male abuser even if he was 100 percent proven guilty. Those people are definitely bad news.

Oct 27, 2017
See, I thought that picture she released was from that night. (The one of the bruise under her eye.)

My mistake if that's incorrect.

The picture she released allegedly showed the injury she suffered from an incident that night. That's basically the foundation of his lawsuit. That she defamed him in an op-ed about being an abuse victim, and implying he was the perpetrator, but the incident she made public is basically a "hoax." He claims that there is testimony from many people who saw her that night and in the immediate days after that she had no visible injuries. So the implication is that that picture must show an injury she got some other way.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
leave elon alone 😤
musk-weed-1536332069.jpg

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The picture she released allegedly showed the injury she suffered from an incident that night. That's basically the foundation of his lawsuit. That she defamed him in an op-ed about being an abuse victim, and implying he was the perpetrator, but the incident she made public is basically a "hoax." He claims that there is testimony from many people who saw her that night and in the immediate days after that she had no visible injuries. So the implication is that that picture must show an injury she got some other way.

Yeah I'm getting caught up on some things and it's not looking good for Heard.

Jesus.

Deleted member 15848

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I heard that the video tape that Heard uploaded of Depp drunk and angry was edited throughout (allegedly because she was mocking him in the parts taken out), and that this was the day that his mother died. Is the latter part at least confirmed?

Nah, he says that's the moment when he found out he lost all his money.

Depp alleges the video was not recent, and that it was taken out of context.

The tape that came out..." He stops and chuckles and repeats his words, "The tape that came out, or the tape that someone made, that miraculously appeared on YouTube, taken from someone's phone. That was not Downtown [LA, where he lived with Amber Heard]. She [Heard] wanted to make like it was recent. It was an older video and [what happened in it] had to do with finding out that I had lost hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars."

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is the potential for a broader and important conversation to emerge from this if it turns out Heard is the monster (which is looking likely) but such a discussion requires people to turn that accusatory finger inward and look at their own actions and reflect on their own behaviors.

Case in point, I thought I understood the Michael Jackson molestation case well enough to be dismissive of the documentary Leaving Neverland but at the urging of a close friend I watched the entire thing and now I am convinced he is guilty.

It's not an easy thing to admit I was wrong and even harder to admit my own bias but if we are operating on the presumption of morality and the pursuit of truth, we have to be willing to go to those uncomfortable places.

A lot of people dogpiled on Depp and if it turns out that he is innocent, I wonder how many of those same people will feel genuinely ashamed and admit their foible instead of post garbage about how Depp is equally bad or they are both trash human beings?

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If anything, this story shows that many people--even on supposedly progressive places like ERA--still don't take male claims of abuse seriously. These aren't new allegations from what I've read; these claims about Heard's abuse was public when this story first broke. But no one wanted to believe Depp. But Heard's side of the story was believed almost without question.
Just look at threads like the ones about male rape used as jokes and the more recent thread on male domestic abuse. Even the usual suspects that have to chime into every thread stay silent. People don't seem to care. Their minds were made up long ago.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
If anything, this story shows that many people--even on supposedly progressive places like ERA--still don't take male claims of abuse seriously. These aren't new allegations from what I've read; these claims about Heard's abuse was public when this story first broke. But no one wanted to believe Depp. But Heard's side of the story was believed almost without question.
I been saying for a very long time that some people here have a LAPD mentality. Not just here but the internet in general.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
There is the potential for a broader and important conversation to emerge from this if it turns out Heard is the monster (which is looking likely) but such a discussion requires people to turn that accusatory finger inward and look at their own actions and reflect on their own behaviors.

Case in point, I thought I understood the Michael Jackson molestation case well enough to be dismissive of the documentary Leaving Neverland but at the urging of a close friend I watched the entire thing and now I am convinced he is guilty.

It's not an easy thing to admit I was wrong and even harder to admit my own bias but if we are operating on the presumption of morality and the pursuit of truth, we have to be willing to go to those uncomfortable places.

A lot of people dogpiled on Depp and if it turns out that he is innocent, I wonder how many of those same people will feel genuinely ashamed and admit their foible instead of post garbage about how Depp is equally bad or they are both trash human beings?

You've summed up my feelings on the matter. There is a lesson to be learned from all this, but I'm not sure if people are willing to look inward to actually learn it.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Pretty much. Most of the usual folks that got on the bandwagon and attacked other members here for expressing some caution or objectivity to the story slid back into the shadows and never apologised. Same deal here.
The difference here is that this was years of people shitting on Depp and lumping him in with Weinstein.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. Most of the usual folks that got on the bandwagon and attacked other members here for expressing some caution or objectivity to the story slid back into the shadows and never apologised. Same deal here.
I've put a lot of the people who just want to make the boldest, most reactionary, and condemning posts they can make on ignore, and Era seems like a much better place.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
With all the details that have come out, I gotta feel for the dude. No one believed him and was basically by himself, and then to unleash all of this evidence is crazy.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I really wonder if they do. I mean, they claim that they do, but people lie all the time.

At least from my experience, the #1 most important thing about dating in my late 20's early 30's has been money. I was on a one hour date with a girl recently where half the time she talked about how hard it was leaving her ex who made bank and ended our date by asking in a roundabout way if i make over $100k or not. And then there's several other dates where income was never exactly directly talked about but talked around. I'm in San Diego though, might be different elsewhere, but money and success here seems to far and away be the number 1 concern with looks and attractiveness number 2.

However, if we're talking purely sex, I don't know why money or success would matter at all as long as the person has their own place.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've put a lot of the people who just want to make the boldest, most reactionary, and condemning posts they can make on ignore, and Era seems like a much better place.

That's actually a great idea and it seems like the first few pages are a great sample size, honestly.

I hope Era has learned a lesson from this incident.

Era will never learn, lol. GAF was the same way until the split. Don't even know what the temperature is like over there now.

With all the details that have come out, I gotta feel for the dude. No one believed him and was basically by himself, and then to unleash all of this evidence is crazy.

Yeah, it must have been truly awful.

Oct 25, 2017
It's... it's... it's almost as if mob reaction is not productive?

How many thread backfires Era gonna need to go through before knee-jerk reactions disappear? You see posts by member and mod alike on the first page ragging on Depp and assassinating his character.

This post is the worst thing. It's the kind of post you see every time someone lies about sexual assault et al.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
yes it does.

but trying to paint the mods as these autoritarian lords is bullshit

They're not (entirely). But they are human and they can easily get swept by the currents - and I have rarely, if ever, seen a mod willing to accept their mistakes or even take back previous actions. There may be a few here that you can contact and actually have a productive conversation with, but there's not many of them.

Re: Depp, I'm glad people are finally starting to believe him. Accusations are a powerful weapon, especially with social media being involved. I don't think anyone will learn much from this though - it's going to be forgotten until we have another thing to be mad at.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
The moderation on this forum has always been arbitrary. Rules are vague and therefore interpreted to different mods' liking.
The inconsistency of the moderation has been apparent in multiple threads and no doubt leave the impression of mods mostly take actions against opinions they disagree with.

Two posts that are similar can result in one getting banned for 2 weeks and the other receiving a warning.

The vagueness of the rules and the highly varied interpretation and application of these rules just scream totalitarian. There's little openness about the moderation either. You don't ever see a thread discussing the quality of the moderation. It's always been a us and them situation.

The rules need to be seriously reviewed and set specific boundaries on the length of ban. Not just when a mod doesn't like a specific post and dig through the rule book and slap a arbitrary time of ban on it. I can guarantee that a lot of posts in controversial topics can get banned based on one of the rules because the rules are just so vague and arbitrary. It just comes down to whether the mods wanna do it or not.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The moderation on this forum has always been arbitrary. Rules are vague and therefore interpreted to different mods' liking.
The inconsistency of the moderation has been apparent in multiple threads and no doubt leave the impression of mods mostly take actions against opinions they disagree with.

Two posts that are similar can result in one getting banned for 2 weeks and the other receiving a warning.

The vagueness of the rules and the highly varied interpretation and application of these rules just scream totalitarian. There's little openness about the moderation either. You don't ever see a thread discussing the quality of the moderation. It's always been a us and them situation.

The rules need to be seriously reviewed and set specific boundaries on the length of ban. Not just when a mod doesn't like a specific post and dig through the rule book and slap a arbitrary time of ban on it. I can guarantee that a lot of posts in controversial topics can get banned based on one of the rules because the rules are just so vague and arbitrary. It just comes down to whether the mods wanna do it or not.

That's because threads discussing moderation are literally outlawed. They occasionally get made, but they get shut down immediately every time. Poke around the search results for "moderation" and the like if you're curious.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
People will do whatever they can to take advantage of public opinion. It does a disservice to actual victims of abuse when someone tries to frame things dishonestly. I remember seeing people say that when a woman speaks out about abuse we should believe her, and while I support the intent behind that (don't victim blame or marginalize her) that doesn't mean you throw away critical thought and believe them unquestioningly, because situations like this can occur where somebody abuses it.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If this all turn out to be true I really fucking feel for Depp, going from one of the most beloved actors to shunned. And took a harsh beating physically and mentally.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

She visibly had an injury on her face when she went to the court house. So the implication apparently is that she had an injury in a photo and also an injury on her face days apart but somehow they are not related to each other, not caused by what she says they're caused by, and that she willingly made appearances in front of others in between the two incidents to disprove her own account knowing she intended to file in court.

Is the testimony from other people still based on the photos from a friend's party where her cheek isn't visible that came up when the court filings first happened? Because Depp's people trying to disparage Heard as a unfaithful lying bisexual tramp isn't new, even if a lot of people in the thread seem to think it is.

Oct 27, 2017
She visibly had an injury on her face when she went to the court house. So the implication apparently is that she had an injury in a photo and also an injury on her face days apart but somehow they are not related to each other, not caused by what she says they're caused by, and that she willingly made appearances in front of others in between the two incidents to disprove her own account knowing she intended to file in court.

Is the testimony from other people still based on the photos from a friend's party where her cheek isn't visible that came up when the court filings first happened? Because Depp's people trying to disparage Heard as a unfaithful lying bisexual tramp isn't new, even if a lot of people in the thread seem to think it is.

My understanding is that Depp is claiming that people testified in depos or provided declarations that, either on the night of the attack, or in immediate days after, people who saw her face to face did not see or notice visible injuries. The incident in question is the one which served as the basis of the restraining order, if I am correct. Or maybe I have my facts wrong and there was another incident that was reported in addition to this one. Let me know if that's the case.