• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
636501323695326501-TopTech-Online.png

USA Today said:
According to Daniel Ives, an analyst with GBH Insights, who compiled the chart for USA TODAY, Apple will sell 223 million iPhones in 2017, up from 211 million phones the previous year.

The rest of the top 5:

• Samsung Galaxy S8 and Note 8 smartphones: 33 million
  • Amazon Echo Dot connected speakers: 24 million
  • Apple Watch: 20 million
  • Nintendo Switch video game console: 15 million
USA Today said:
In fifth place is the Nintendo Switch, a $299 video game system that can connect to your TV, can be played on the go, and can be connected to others, for group play.
USA Today

——————————————————————

How reliable is USA Today? Nintendo recently announced that the Nintendo Switch passed 10M, but now an analyst says that it has passed 15M. That's insane if true!

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
How reliable is USA Today? Nintendo recently announced that the Nintendo Switch passed 10M, but now an analyst says that it has passed 15M. That's insane if true!
Yeah, likely not true. That just doesn't add up. This analyst is likely using their own limited sub set of data to extrapolate the final results but that seems to be at odds with the reality (this is why you should never extrapolate).

Last edited:

Deleted member 62

So that analyst thinks they sold 5 million within the last 2 weeks, after selling 10 million between March and early to mid December? Sure.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Isn't PS4 ahead of Switch this year?
In the US maybe. We don't have numbers for Europe, we have numbers for Japan though and there we see the Switch leading. The 15M are probably wrong though as Nintendo just announced that they have sold 10M Switch within the first 9 months, which means the Switch sold as much as the PS4 in its first 9 months.

This is not counting December though and we will likely get the next Switch numbers when Nintendo has its investor meeting in April, after the first fiscal year of the Switch ends. Then we'll know how much they managed to produce and sell within the first 13 months.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
In the US maybe. We don't have numbers for Europe, we have numbers for Japan though and there we see the Switch leading. The 15M are probably wrong though as Nintendo just announced that they have sold 10M Switch within the first 9 months, which means the Switch sold as much as the PS4 in its first 9 months.

This is not counting December though and we will likely get the next Switch numbers when Nintendo has its investor meeting in April, after the first fiscal year of the Switch ends. Then we'll know how much they managed to produce and sell within the first 13 months.
We know that as of December 3rd, the PS4 sold 20 million in its previous 12 months. That obviously includes December 2016 as well but unless PS4 sold terribly this last month (extremely unlikely), it's pretty safe to say it easily sold over 15m.

This list was mentioned in the NPD thread and it was pointed out that they're only including new tech and are just estimates.

jeromeSF

Nov 2, 2017
Before anyone asks why ps4 isn't there, it's talking about tech released this year (Apple Watch 3 is why Apple Watch is there).

So, why is the iPhone at 232 million? The 8, 8 plus and X will be very far from this number

Edit: ok, so he is taking all iPhone models... But only take the Galaxy 8. Doesn't make any sense

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This has to be till March, right? Or are the crazy bastards suggesting that in a Month Ninty sold over 4 million consoles while beating FY expectations 4 months early? Cause if so, I want whatever the hell they smoking, must be some really good shit.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
The constant bundling of iPhone numbers is absurd.
'We've sold our billionth iPhone!'
I can't think of any other company who groups multi-generational items together like this.

(...and shhhh, Apple Watch is great if you work out)

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This has to be till March, right? Or are the crazy bastards suggesting that in a Month Ninty sold over 4 million consoles while beating FY expectations 4 months early? Cause if so, I want whatever the hell they smoking, must be some really good shit.
If it sold 15 million by now, then it is 1.7 million under the forecast for the end of March (the launch month is not included in the 14 million forecast).

Limabean01 That's a good observation, totally forgot about that detail! Still, it's a forecast, so this should definitely be taken with a graan of salt.

Selling 5 million in 3 weeks from December 11th through to today is quite a feat for sure, so I doubt the 15 million number is quite correct. Still, sales numbers will be quite good anyway, so it might get to a million below (i.e. 14 million) if sales go favourably.

Last edited:

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017

This article's numbers are not accurate.

Edit looks like mine are not accurate too lol :)

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The Echo sales make me worried. Do people not realize the privacy and security concerns of such devices?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
15 million would mean they sold 5 million in two weeks. They're doing well, they're not doing that well.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
If it sold 15 million by now, then it is 1.7 million under the forecast for the end of March (the launch month is not included in the 14 million forecast).

Limabean01 That's a good observation, totally forgot about that detail! Still, it's a forecast, so this should definitely be taken with a graan of salt.

Selling 5 million in 3 weeks from December 11th through to today is quite a feat for sure, so I doubt the 15 million number is quite correct. Still, sales numbers will be quite good anyway, so it might get to a million below (i.e. 14 million) if sales go favourably.
Yeah, it seems to me like it's more of a prediction from USA today rather than solid data. Also I guess I can't be sure that it's talking about new tech, but all of the items listed either came out this year or had a major instalment come out this year afaik. Regardless, switch sales this year are impressive and very healthy for the industry as a whole :)

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats not official numbers, its based on the GHB Insights guess (which most are doubting is accurate), there is a thread for it

https://www.resetera.com/threads/gb...tendo-switch-has-sold-15-million-units.13320/

We should be getting official numbers early January
I got downvoted -30 on reddit for pointing that out. I guess the people on nintendo switch really dont want to hear it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...witch_was_the_fifth_bestselling_tech/drxa2x9/

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch came out in March so there is no way it out sold ps4?

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony stated that they planned to ship 19 millions PS4 units by the end of FY 2017. Still ahead of Switch but not currently at 20 million sold AFAIK.

PS4 has most likely sold >20M sold through as of this Sunday period.

It sold 20.6M from December 3rd 2016 to December 3rd 2017.

Will be a fun day once Sony reports sold through numbers on CES from both Hardware and Software.

If it is at 73.4M it sold 20M during 2017 alone, it just needs to have sold during December 2.8M.

Last year it sold 3.4M.

Oct 29, 2017
Switch was at 13.3 before Christmas. Say one million more before January numbers, round upwards, 15M ballpark for 2017 is not that far out.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Not sur of those numbers... Samsung selling 33 milliong S8 and N8, but how many phones in all ?

And it's curiois not to see the PS4. But 15 million for the Swith already ? It was like 10 million few weeks ago right ? So December numbers around the World must have been insane !

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Switch was at 13.3 before Christmas. Say one million more before January numbers, round upwards, 15M ballpark for 2017 is not that far out.

That's if we take that "3.3M in Japan is 25% of global hardware sales" as fact, and it's not clear that's explicitly what they meant. But it's possible.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
- iPad sold over 50m
- PS4 is up YoY and sold over 20m
- There are others phones that sold over 15 million
- Switch didn't reach 15m

This list is pretty much unreliable.

Sony stated that they planned to ship 19 millions PS4 units by the end of FY 2017. Still ahead of Switch but not currently at 20 million sold AFAIK.
Sony didn't predict to be up YoY in hardware sales but that happened and they sold over 20 million units in 2017.

This is the best selling year in PS4 history.

Last edited:

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
PS4 has most likely sold >20M sold through as of this Sunday period.

It sold 20.6M from December 3rd 2016 to December 3rd 2017.

Will be a fun day once Sony reports sold through numbers on CES from both Hardware and Software.

If it is at 73.4M it sold 20M during 2017 alone, it just needs to have sold during December 2.8M.

Last year it sold 3.4M.
I was talking about projected fiscal year sales, which for Sony run from April 2017- March 2018. Sony's own projections for that period were at 19 million shipped, last I heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.