• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 13, 2019

During Wednesday's 9/11 Memorial and Museum ceremony in New York to honor the lives lost 18 years ago, one victim's family member had a message for freshman Congresswoman Ilhan Omar.

Nicholas Haros Jr., whose mother Frances Haros was killed in the World Trade Center at age 76, wore a black T-shirt with the words "Some people did something" as he read a list of victims' names, including his mother's.

"Today I am here to respond to you exactly who did what to whom. Madam, objectively speaking, we know who and what was done," Haros Jr. said on Wednesday. "There is no uncertainty about that. Why your confusion?"

Haros Jr.'s comments are a reference to a controversial statement made by the Minnesota representative, who said while speaking about the Muslim community's resilience in the face of discrimination that "[Council of American-Islamic Relations] was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties."

The catch?

Last year while reading names at the Sept. 11 commemoration, Haros Jr. asked politicians to "stop using the bones and ashes of our loved ones as props in your political theater."

Guess there's no problem if he himself uses the remains of his loved ones as a bludgeon to attack someone.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing we knew who did it and *checks notes* did little about it and *checks notes* started two illegal wars over it.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
So, idiots, basically...

giphy.gif

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting how he'd single out Omar, but not Trump, who's been more "disrespectful" about 9/11 than anyone else.

I WONDER WHY THAT IS.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Just a reminder that the real villains in this story are spineless Dems that gave succor to bad faith pearl clutching from the conservative pundit class. This guy's stunt sucks and it only happens because Dem leadership let this vile smear against Rep. Omar bloom into a full blown controversy.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Just a reminder that the real villains in this story are spineless Dems that gave succor to bad faith pearl clutching from the conservative pundit class. This guy's stunt sucks and it only happens because Dem leadership let this vile smear against Rep. Omar bloom into a full blown controversy.

At first I thought this was satire. If its real, you think the Democratic leadership has waaaayyy more power than they do. This is like the idea that Hillary Clinton is responsible for Obama birtherism.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
At first I thought this was satire. If its real, you think the Democratic leadership has waaaayyy more power than they do. This is like the idea that Hillary Clinton is responsible for Obama birtherism.

I dunno.
While this is just waiting to go off the rails, there's an argument to be made that while not at only Pelosi's door, the Dems have done a piss poor job of defending themselves to the point where 'liberal' is seen as anti-american to the point where dems can be said to be communists and nobody bats an eye

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
They have the power to not be like We all agree what Rep. Omar said is problematic blah blah blah, but they don't because they're spineless.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine using your parent's death to own the libs, imagine being that guy

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Tell that to your representatives who couldn't be bothered to show up to the memorial in order to play underhanded politics.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno.
While this is just waiting to go off the rails, there's an argument to be made that while not at only Pelosi's door, the Dems have done a piss poor job of defending themselves to the point where 'liberal' is seen as anti-american to the point where dems can be said to be communists and nobody bats an eye

Its fair to say that the Democrats should respond more forcefully at times, but I don't buy for a minute that better messaging is going to change the mind of QAnon or Infowars nuts

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but think that the sentiment around 9/11 just feels like.... a mockery.
A mockery of every innocent person killed, tortured, raped or starved with the help of the U.S

How can Americans be so upset over a terrorist attack while they can just brush off destroying entire nation states? Killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. A hundred thousand dead Yemeni children. tens of thousands of dead Syrians, Afghanis, Pakistanis. And that's just in the last two decades. They've toppled several democratically elected leaders to install fascist dictators. Each one of those affected nations suffering terribly for decades under oppression. A global tragedy for millions. And the U.S has never apologized for ANY of it.

Who is going to honor those victims? When are we getting yearly memorials for those people?

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

IIRC, most Democrats weren't particularly bad in responding this particular smear against Omar (though Pelosi's initial response was staggeringly awful). now, Tropesgate, that's another story entirely, but that's probably for another thread

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
"Stop doing what I'm about to do for this situation Im creating in which Im doing the thing I'm complaining about."

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but think that the sentiment around 9/11 just feels like.... a mockery.
A mockery of every innocent person killed, tortured, raped or starved with the help of the U.S

How can Americans be so upset over a terrorist attack while they can just brush off destroying entire nation states? Killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. A hundred thousand dead Yemeni children. tens of thousands of dead Syrians, Afghanis, Pakistanis. And that's just in the last two decades. They've toppled several democratically elected leaders to install fascist dictators. Each one of those affected nations suffering terribly for decades under oppression. A global tragedy for millions. And the U.S has never apologized for ANY of it.

Who is going to honor those victims? When are we getting yearly memorials for those people?
It was a reason to invade and conquer for oil. It's that simple. Sickening.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt since more than a few people were pretty put off by the "some people did something" line when she made it. Then I saw that he was wearing a shirt with the line printed on it and there goes any goodwill I had. Yep, it's political. <sigh>

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario

So the defense is the bad thing they did is that it doesn't matter because they're not good enough at their jobs to adequately influence the outcome of public discourse.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
The US basically helped create and fund ISIS and the uprising of Al-Qada....just an FYI for that guy.

We basically fell on our own sword with 9/11, and it's a horrible price to pay for greed and warmongering. Thousands of innocent lives lost needlessly.

RIP to all who suffered. I'll never get the images out of my head from that day. My mom called me and woke me up, after I had worked a late shift the night before, just after the news reported the first crash. Saw the second plane hit live.

I hear you....it's gross....and 99% of Americans are completely ignorant of any of it. They're purposefully and uncaring levels of stupid on the matter.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018

Hell, the US is shit at acknowledging the suffering of its own citizens that it has caused, it's never going to give proper recognition or consideration to those lives from completely different countries.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Around 50% of the families of 9/11 survivors will be conservative. Around 35% of them will be Trumps base too

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have great sympathy for this person and the tragedy they endured, but none for the adult politicians who took a phrase they knew full well to mean, specifically, "Not all muslims committed that act of terrorism" and turned it into a racially charged slogan so they can keep getting bribes from construction companies and car dealership networks and to kiss the ass of an openly racist incompetent president. Even George Bush jr said something with the exact same intended meaning after 911.

And neither of the two countries we invaded in the aftermath were the homeland or financing center of 19 of those terrorists. In fact we're currently talking about giving that same country nuclear technology. If we want to talk about respect we should start there.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
This dude's a moron. I have sympathy for him for his loss but he's still a moron and shouldn't have been given that platform.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt since more than a few people were pretty put off by the "some people did something" line when she made it. Then I saw that he was wearing a shirt with the line printed on it and there goes any goodwill I had. Yep, it's political. <sigh>
What she said wasn't offensive.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Guy, your mother's corpse was used a stepping stone for numerous war criminals to commit two highly controversial wars and pardon the ones that actually killed your mother. That's the fucking opposite of respect, while your family and others have suffered this tragedy for years.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Today has really shined a light on just how terrible people can be and, oddly enough, it seems to be the right wing.

95% of the time, if not more than that, it's usually the right-wing. Because they don't give a fuck about anyone but themselves. Even 9/11 victims and their friends and families are not immune from the right-wing's shit. It's disgusting.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
So the defense is the bad thing they did is that it doesn't matter because they're not good enough at their jobs to adequately influence the outcome of public discourse.

Obama was the best political speaker is decades and he couldn't convince these people he was born in this country or that he wasn't a Muslim. Fox News and social media has broken people's brains in fundamental ways.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not going to deny any of the terrible things our government has done, but who exactly is the bolded directed towards?

I'm just not sure I understand the sentiment. Are you trying to say someone who lost a loved one in the September 11 attacks shouldn't be "so upset" because they happened to be born in a country whose government does bad things?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
when talking about the towers falling we have to to give complete reverence, but if this guy was talking about the Rwandan genocide or something he would barely give it the time of day

i understand why he cares and was impacted by it, but that doesn't mean anyone has to treat it as anymore a tragedy as anything else

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Funny how it gets turned up to 11 when a brown woman is the target

It's so predictable.

95% of the time, if not more than that, it's usually the right-wing. Because they don't give a fuck about anyone but themselves. Even 9/11 victims and their friends and families are not immune from the right-wing's shit. It's disgusting.

But they'll be real quick to use it to defend themselves. That's the thing that scares me the most about going low. They'll just go lower.