• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
He gave up the ghost when he attacked the rest of the Squad and brought up "Judeo-Christian Values."

He just wanted to attack some brown women.

Oct 27, 2017
So wait.... what was controversial about Omar's comments?
To me? Nothing. I think the better question to ask is how somebody could perceive them to be a slight or controversial, which has a fairly obvious answer. They either aren't considering full context and/or they are victims of some horrible attack and are considering things through a more emotional, personal lens.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Boy, I sure hope he had this same fury at the GOP who wanted to discontinue benefits for the 9/11 firefighters.

He didn't have that fury then did he?

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
So wait.... what was controversial about Omar's comments?

From wikipedia
In the speech Omar said, "CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us [Muslims in the U.S.] were starting to lose access to our civil liberties."

"Recognized some people did something" is a very weird way to phrase it. It has been used as an attack on her for 'downplaying' the attacks on 9/11.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why isn't he mad at the trump administration for being best friends with the saudis who provided material support to the 9/11 hijackers?

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From wikipedia
In the speech Omar said, "CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us [Muslims in the U.S.] were starting to lose access to our civil liberties."

"Recognized some people did something" is a very weird way to phrase it. It has been used as an attack on her for 'downplaying' the attacks on 9/11.
it's not weird, her point was that an entire demographic was being blamed for the actions of a very small group. if you listen to the speech it makes total sense.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to forget that 9/11 has been continuously propped up for the last nearly two decades as a means of fueling racism and Islamophobia.

I say this as someone who immigrated to the US a year before it happened, who went to high school a couple of blocks from Ground Zero and grew up in NYC under the shadow of 9/11, having to deal with Islamophobic comments by people who otherwise claimed to be 'tolerant' and pulled out the 9/11 card as a way of justifying it, people who weren't even close to anyone affected by the attacks.

I obviously fucking know how much of a tragedy 9/11 and I shouldn't be scrutinized further because I'm a brown man. It's like I have to say it very clearly and slowly "yes, 9/11 was bad" in case me pointing out how a minority group was affected makes me somehow unsympathetic or not a real American or something.

Dec 31, 2017
Her statement is taken out of context to an extreme degree. It's mind boggling.

I can't help but think that the sentiment around 9/11 just feels like.... a mockery.
A mockery of every innocent person killed, tortured, raped or starved with the help of the U.S

How can Americans be so upset over a terrorist attack while they can just brush off destroying entire nation states? Killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. A hundred thousand dead Yemeni children. tens of thousands of dead Syrians, Afghanis, Pakistanis. And that's just in the last two decades. They've toppled several democratically elected leaders to install fascist dictators. Each one of those affected nations suffering terribly for decades under oppression. A global tragedy for millions. And the U.S has never apologized for ANY of it.

Who is going to honor those victims? When are we getting yearly memorials for those people?

And so much this.

9/11 is a tragedy, yet so many Americans are completely ignorant of what the USA has done abroad as a result of it.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
If people are sensitive to 9/11 being referred to as "something" - fine. I just wonder if she would have gotten the same shit if she had said, "Muslims lost their civil liberties because of the actions of some." That's almost a fixed-phrase, is the same thing and is commonly used to refer to killing, including terrorism and mass murder.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but think that the sentiment around 9/11 just feels like.... a mockery.
A mockery of every innocent person killed, tortured, raped or starved with the help of the U.S

How can Americans be so upset over a terrorist attack while they can just brush off destroying entire nation states? Killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. A hundred thousand dead Yemeni children. tens of thousands of dead Syrians, Afghanis, Pakistanis. And that's just in the last two decades. They've toppled several democratically elected leaders to install fascist dictators. Each one of those affected nations suffering terribly for decades under oppression. A global tragedy for millions. And the U.S has never apologized for ANY of it.

Who is going to honor those victims? When are we getting yearly memorials for those people?
it was literally direct blowback from american support of middle eastern terrorists and governments like the KSA

and then instead of taking it as an opportunity to self-reflect and understand how we directly caused it we doubled down and made everything way worse

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
And I get her point, but it's still a suboptimal way to phrase something like that. If I as a German would say some people did something in Germany between 1933 and 1945 that wouldn't fly.
Yes because a war and attrocities commited by a nation state is exactly the same as an act of terror by a radicalized cell.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I get her point, but it's still a suboptimal way to phrase something like that. If I as a German would say some people did something in Germany between 1933 and 1945 that wouldn't fly.
the only english words she knew up until age 12 were "hello" and "shut up" so i think i can forgive some clumsy phrasing when she's clearly correct in her overall point

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting how he'd single out Omar, but not Trump, who's been more "disrespectful" about 9/11 than anyone else.

I WONDER WHY THAT IS.
I'm sure it's just coincidence, and that he applies the same rigorous standards to white politicians, that he evidently does to brown ones. I'm sure. Implying anything else would mean calling him the R word, and that's the real bigotry, after all.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Implying anything else would mean calling him the R word, and that's the real bigotry, after all.

nGMrD.gif

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, it would be more like if some random Germans committed a crime and then you said "some people did something" referring to that.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I wonder where that person was when the GOP was trying to stop 1st responders from getting healthcare...

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad he wouldn't call out his dipshit cult leader who bragged about now having the tallest building in Manhattan on 9/11.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Oh fuck him and his stupid fucking message. Trump was bitching about polls today instead of honoring the victims of 911. Republican senators are the ones who've been fucking the first responders for YEARS.

Fuck that kid.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Too bad he wouldn't call out his dipshit cult leader who bragged about now having the tallest building in Manhattan on 9/11.
It's insane how much of a break Trump gets in regards to that. That statement is a distillation of Trump as a narcissistic, un-empathetic troll and goes fucking ignored by so many people including in this case

Did Ilhan Omar ever dishonor them?

I can't remember her ever doing it.
Because she never did
[insert Frakes "It's fiction" compilation]

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, she said something insensitive while trying to make another point.

She's going to have this thrown at her the rest of her career.

That's her fault. Victims/survivors/family have every right to trash her on this.

I don't even see it as a lib or conservative thing. Omar could have made her point without belittling 9/11, which she absolutely did. There is no reason to defend her on that. It doesn't make you pro conservative to denounce what she said.

I think Political tribalism has blinded common sense here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017

I disagree.

She screwed up. Period. She handed the right a talking point and people on the left trying to run damage control for her look desperate.

I support her on almost all issues, including the original point she was trying to make, but she chose very bad words to call out Islamaphobia and wound up dismantling her own cause. She could have done better there.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking moron.

Its always small soundbites against minorities/dems that carry. There are so many shitting things people could pull about trump on 9/11, but nope.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree.

She screwed up. Period. She handed the right a talking point and people on the left trying to run damage control for her look desperate.

I support her on almost all issues, including the original point she was trying to make, but she chose very bad words to call out Islamaphobia and wound up dismantling her own cause. She could have done better there.
you're being reactionary, stop it

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It would be more like if you as a Eastern European were to say "we shouldn't have to live under constant threat of Russia because of something some people did seventy years ago."

If people are sensitive to 9/11 being referred to as "something" - fine. I just wonder if she would have gotten the same shit if she had said, "Muslims lost their civil liberties because of the actions of some." That's almost a fixed-phrase, is the same thing and is commonly used to refer to killing, including terrorism and mass murder.

Exactly the same outcome. If an American Muslim doesn't loudly apologize for 9/11 every single time they speak in public, they're branded an unpatriotic traitor by the usual suspects.

She handed the right a talking point

The right will generate racist/antisemitic/Islamophobic talking points any time a minority talks about civil rights. The only way to avoid that is to be silent, which is what the right -- and "moderates" -- want.

Last edited:

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, she said something insensitive while trying to make another point.

She's going to have this thrown at her the rest of her career.

That's her fault. Victims/survivors/family have every right to trash her on this.

I don't even see it as a lib or conservative thing. Omar could have made her point without belittling 9/11, which she absolutely did. There is no reason to defend her on that. It doesn't make you pro conservative to denounce what she said.

I think Political tribalism has blinded common sense here.

Nah. Fuck that. I say this as a person who was there and lost someone too.