• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Either because you get them too late, or they don't fill a useful role that someone else doesn't already do better, they just don't seem to be all that useful.

I'm currently playing The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, which I'm enjoying a lot. Had a RPG and a TLotR craving at the same time, plus I dig the FFX battle system. Anyways, I'm at the beginning of the Minas Tirith chapter, and Morwen is just...okay. She takes forever to get better gear for, so she's gimped for most of the Plains of Rohan. I suppose her speed, thief skills, and consistent multi-hits are decent, but Elegost and Idrial should have solid speed at this point, and Idrial can buff anyone at this point. Lightcrafting can also grant Haste of the Elves, and that can be given to anyone. Eaoden and Berethor are about average in speed, and Hadhod doesn't really need speed because of Crippling Smash and Taunt + Counter Attack and Mountain Shield combo.

Her Thief Craft lets her be a bit self-sufficient and adds something, but her heavy focus on items seems...not useful. As long as you have the proper skills, you don't really need items all that much, and it takes so long to itemcraft. Should I go back and grind? Don't really need to.

Note that I am playing on Medium, so maybe she's more worth the time on Hard, but she doesn't seem offer much in terms of any of her skills ASIDE from maybe pulling a rare weapon (3rd Age Battle Axe of Khazadum from the Orc general at the beginning of Osgiliath).

So anyway, I just was curious if anyone had any other notable RPG party members that are just so damn useless or simply not worth the time.

Note that this can also extend to monsters in Pokemon and similar RPGs

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zeke in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. just...fuck. he dies to quickly and his role can be filled by Rex too easily

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I think a lot of RPGs do have at least one useless party member. They usually have the same role as the main character in combat. So if you have the superior character, why use him/her at all? Off to the reserve you go.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The entire cast after Tora l/Poppy in Xenoblade 2. I literally found 0 reason to swap to the other characters when you are given a perfect Tank, healer, attacker setup from the start.

Although due to a certain plot twist giving me a new blade I did actually mix it up near the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Yes, Edward in Final Fantasy IV is mostly useless, but he's only a temporary party member, so you only have to put up with him for one section of the game. He does low damage and really can't take a hit and when he does he'll automatically go into hide mode in battle so he won't participate in the battle any longer and then there's fucking Chibi Moon from Sailor Moon Another Story who does stupidly small damage and has no techniques that can be done way better by the rest of the cast. That fucking heart move barely does more damage than her physical attack. I always use party members equally in each JRPG I play, but Chibi Moon was so bad it's ridiculous I sidelined her as much as I could, but the game forces you to use her in certain parts. It wasn't bad at all in her introduction because enemies are scaled to her, but once she joins the main party her attacks contribute nothing to the battle.

Umaro is not useless.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Zeke in Xenoblade 2. I never used him. The game gives you no reason to.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I've never played it but a constant complaint I read about Chrono Cross is that the leveling system basically discourages you from using a lot of characters.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Zeke in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. just...fuck. he dies to quickly and his role can be filled by Rex too easily

Zeke: Hold my beer.

zqaXiw7.gif

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played it but a constant complaint I read about Chrono Cross is that the leveling system basically discourages you from using a lot of characters.

That's insane. The game has one of the friendliest systems for leveling imaginable. If you want to max stats all you need to do is switch everybody in for two fights in between getting stars, and that's only if you want to max stats which is something you should never need to do.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
About 90% of the party members you can get in Chrono Cross are fucking garbage. Poshul is probably at the top of this list.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It has to be Edward aka Gilbert in FF4 doesn't it?

GilbertDS.jpg

This "useless bard" basically INVENTED the worthless party member trope.

[redacted]

Dec 28, 2017
Tiger Man from LISA: The Painful

He's one of the toughest optional bosses to fight in the game and he ends up suffering from major Joy withdrawal, iffy stats, and your party's usually good enough anyway by the time you recruit him that he doesn't add much more. There's a few party members that aren't very good in general but he's arguably the biggest waste to get.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The temporary party members in Final Fantasy 2 are mostly dead weight. Minwu and Josef are the exceptions.

Minwu has a buttload of powerful spells.
Josef can punch hard and can take a good number of hits.
Gordon? He has below par stats, no skills in weapons, and no spells.
Layla? Same as Gordon, except she has one spell.
Richard? Same as Gordon.

Sure, you could make them useful, but this is Final Fantasy 2. The later versions made them slightly more useful, at least.

It has to be Edward aka Gilbert in FF4 doesn't it?

This "useless bard" basically INVENTED the worthless party member trope.

Edward is basically an expy of Gordon but somewhat less useless.

Samsquanchewans

User Permed at their request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
Does Ayla count? Also, Marle. But Marle is a damn good healer. Ayla is just there for brawns.

Robot is a good tank when he needs to, Lucca provides great damage for multiple enemies.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Mallow in SMRPG! Sure he has the strongest magic attacks, but it takes so long for him to match the rest of your party you've probably long forgotten about him.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amarant in Final Fantasy IX
Dude sucks.
I'm sure that no one remembers him.

Oct 25, 2017
Quistis from FF8

I remember I've never used her in our party for the entire game because I've got a feeling that she'd become a useless member later on....until I've made a grave mistake during in final boss. All party members were dying quickly because of her lowest level.

Boy, I wish I could have keep her in the party from the beginning. Good times, haha.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
Shoutout to Yukari from Persona 3, who at the Final Boss for the Answer, decided that healing herself at 60% instead of Aigis who was at critical health or attacking the final boss who was about to die, was the best way to handle things. Needless to say I hold a grudge to this day for that, since that was a half hour gone because of one bad move.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Kimahri have good design but am useless on the Sphere Grid.

Kimahri protect Yuna with subpar stats and shitty Overdrive.

Kimahri have cool battle on Mt. Gagazet only to be never seen or heard from again in party.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Miranda from Mass Effect 2. As a sentinel squadmate, she is outclassed by better biotic and better tech squadmates.

Deleted member 643

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haru in P5 is the only one I can immediately think of as having little use given how late she shows up

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Give him an Avant-Garde Medal with Critical boosting accessories/aux cores/weapon chips. He can survive in battle just as well as Rex if you built him right. And his damage output is potentially ridiculous as the GIF posted before demonstrates.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, Cyan from FF6.

rAMe3ST.png

I'm sorry, my dude. Bushido just isn't good enough to warrant the time it takes to use it.
You can make Cyan work. The problem is that if you're going out of your way for Cyan, you're better off doing that for basically anyone else.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Kimahri have good design but am useless on the Sphere Grid.

Kimahri protect Yuna with subpar stats and shitty Overdrive.

Kimahri have cool battle on Mt. Gagazet only to be never seen or heard from again in party.

Pretty sure it's the only boss fight in the entire game to scale to your level. They fucking knew that people wouldn't use him.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Quistis from FF8

I remember I've never used her in our party for the entire game because I've got a feeling that she'd become a useless member later on....until I've made a grave mistake during in final boss. All party members were dying quickly because of her lowest level.

Boy, I wish I could have keep her in the party from the beginning. Good times, haha.
I'm seeing some weird ass opinions in here, but this is probably the biggest. Quistis is probably the second or the best character in VIII when she can instantly kill enemies with Degenerator and Micro Missiles can deal up to 9999 damage.

OP
OP
BKatastrophe

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Do action RPGs count?

If so, Donald fucking Duck.
Early? Yes. Late? Not so much. Just put him on Cure and Aero duty and you're fine. Never use items on him.
I dunno dude, he's at least a better heal bot than Goofy is.

Though, Goofy almost solo'd Cloud in the Cloud/Leon Coliseum fight on proud mode when I replayed the game last month.
Wait wait wait wait...using Goofy as a heal bot? Wat? You should only use him as an Ether bot with Gift during the Phantom fight. Otherwise he's a tank.